Apple begins countdown to 1 billion App Store downloads

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    I'm fascinated by the counter. I'm wondering if it will start to speed up proportionately as the billion day/hour/minute draws closer. Apple sure knows how to get people's juices flowing. They're going to put competitor's app stores to shame when it comes to amount of downloads and such. It's hard to believe that so many handset companies have been around for almost a decade and haven't had a billion downloads. I guess it would have been hard to track anyway since there would have been so many sources of apps to download. Now those companies with new stores are going to be under the gun to equal the App Store performance. Apple is making it very tough for competitors.
  • Reply 42 of 45
    Actually, no you can not. You can only buy content from the iTunes store with an iTunes Gift Card. You can purchase products from an Apple Store, or the Online Apple Store with an Apple Gift Card. Two separate types of cards, and neither one can be used to purchase the other.
  • Reply 43 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Can you buy a Macbook Pro with an iTunes gift card?

With a 30" display, 8GB RAM etc, tick all the boxes for everything!!!

Actually, no you can not. You can only buy content from the iTunes store with an iTunes Gift Card. You can purchase products from an Apple Store, or the Online Apple Store with an Apple Gift Card. Two separate types of cards, and neither one can be used to purchase the other.
  • Reply 44 of 45
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CU10 View Post

Please stop bringing Steve Ballmer, Bill Gates and Microsoft into every thread. You're showing the price of AAPL stock, but you probably don't even own shares. It's boring and tedious. Anyone with sense sold at 200.
  • Reply 45 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UltimateKylie View Post

From what I gathered in the Terms & Conditions its not a 'draw' but rather just the lucky person that downloads the 1 Billionth App or the first free entry afer the download of the 999,999,999th App whichever comes first.

So its really a game of skill and timing... so don't get your hopes up! (And no point in downloading or entering now, not until the downloads ticks much higher).

Yeah, I noticed this too. Although it does sound like the advantage of downloading more apps now would be that if you do happen to download at exactly the right moment, and you're not the only one, you'd have higher odds when they draw between the people with the same timestamp on their app purchases. It sounds like that draw (which I think will be likely) is based on the amount of apps you've downloaded over the contest duration.

Pretty misleading way to do it though.