Apple Mini Display Port NOT working at resolutions over 1600X1200 for NON Apple brand

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Problem:



Apple Mini Display Port does NOT work at resolutions over 1600X1200 on NON Apple Cinema Displays.



That means if you own any other brand of monitor such as NEC, Lacie, etc. you will NOT get native resolution on your 24 inch monitor as it is stuck at a maximum resolution of 1600X1200.



This story was mentioned on "Macbreak Weekly" show 4-14-2009. I have since checked with a few people and it would indeed seem to be true at this point.



I REALLY hope a solution from Apple comes soon and this is not some new policy of theirs. If so, it may be the last Mac Pro I will or can ever own. The reason is I do a lot of 3D work with C4D, Vue, Modo and Photoshop CS4 so I MUST have a monitor like the high-end ones from Lacie that have 100% color gamut and Adobe RGB. I can NOT be tied down to an Apple Cinema display due to that work. At this time, it seems this means I would only get 1600X1200 resolution on that 24 inch monitor.



I am HIGHLY concerned by this. Has anyone else confirmed this too and if so what the heck is Apple thinking or better still going to do about it? I LOVE my Mac Pro but if they start forcing Apple displays on us or limiting the display ports, then I won't be buying another Mac, it's just that simple.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 34
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacFanJeff View Post


    Problem:



    Apple Mini Display Port does NOT work at resolutions over 1600X1200 on NON Apple Cinema Displays.



    That means if you own any other brand of monitor such as NEC, Lacie, etc. you will NOT get native resolution on your 24 inch monitor as it is stuck at a maximum resolution of 1600X1200.



    This story was mentioned on "Macbreak Weekly" show 4-14-2009. I have since checked with a few people and it would indeed seem to be true at this point.



    I REALLY hope a solution from Apple comes soon and this is not some new policy of theirs. If so, it may be the last Mac Pro I will or can ever own. The reason is I do a lot of 3D work with C4D, Vue, Modo and Photoshop CS4 so I MUST have a monitor like the high-end ones from Lacie that have 100% color gamut and Adobe RGB. I can NOT be tied down to an Apple Cinema display due to that work. At this time, it seems this means I would only get 1600X1200 resolution on that 24 inch monitor.



    I am HIGHLY concerned by this. Has anyone else confirmed this too and if so what the heck is Apple thinking or better still going to do about it? I LOVE my Mac Pro but if they start forcing Apple displays on us or limiting the display ports, then I won't be buying another Mac, it's just that simple.



    Can you provide links? Who are the people you checked with? Is this documented by Apple yet? Support documents?
  • Reply 2 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k squared View Post


    Can you provide links? Who are the people you checked with? Is this documented by Apple yet? Support documents?



    1. Go to iTunes and refer to the show I referenced in my first post.



    2. Too early to get specific details on this as the Mac Pro and Mini Display Ports are just now hitting the streets in more quantity so no one has had a chance to fully delve into this. I have checked over at a few other forum sites and others that do 3D design find it interesting and are concerned as well.



    The people on Macbreak Weekly and TMUP I am sure will have more on this story at some point.



    3. Unknown.



    It is also unclear at this time if it affects the 2009 Apple laptops WITH Mini Display Port too. There are at least a few I have been talking to looking into this.



    NOTE: An Apple Laptop WITHOUT Mini Display Port has been confirmed by one person to work OK driven max resolution on an Eizo high-end 24 inch LCD.
  • Reply 3 of 34
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,200moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacFanJeff View Post


    I REALLY hope a solution from Apple comes soon and this is not some new policy of theirs. If so, it may be the last Mac Pro I will or can ever own.



    I think their solution might have been to include a dual-link DVI port on the Mac Pro.



    If you use dual displays then you have to hook up one of them to the Mini-DP port with the adaptor so in that case, there might be a problem but the adaptor has been tested on the MBPs:



    http://getsatisfaction.com/apple/top...y_port_adapter



    "I just bought a Samsung 2433BW, which is fantastic. It was a little difficult to attach to the included base--just remember that the instructions are on the shipping box, not in the user manual, and you'll be fine. It's working great with my 15" MBP and the Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter, but it has native inputs for DVI and VGA.



    It's 24" and 1920x1200. I paid about AUD$360 including delivery."



    1920 x 1200 is the maximum supported resolution. Perhaps some displays haven't been detected properly and dropping down to a safe 1600x1200 size.
  • Reply 4 of 34
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Not sure if this is relevant but from the Apple tech specs for the Mac Pro....





    Video adapters available for:



    * Additional DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter (optional)

    * Additional dual-link DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter (optional)

    * VGA output using Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter or DVI to VGA Display Adapter (optional)





    Maybe they needed the mini-DP to Dual-Link DVI adapter but only used the mini-DP to DVI (i.e. single link) adapter.
  • Reply 5 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post


    Not sure if this is relevant but from the Apple tech specs for the Mac Pro....





    Video adapters available for:



    * Additional DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter (optional)

    * Additional dual-link DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter (optional)

    * VGA output using Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter or DVI to VGA Display Adapter (optional)





    Maybe they needed the mini-DP to Dual-Link DVI adapter but only used the mini-DP to DVI (i.e. single link) adapter.



    No that's not the problem, see post below.
  • Reply 6 of 34
    OK, I am starting to get a little more info on this problem.



    Other news sources are now getting reports and hearing the same thing. TMUP has heard it now and there may be an upcoming story or more details about this with Steve Stranger from "The Mac Attack".



    Right now everyone is trying to tie down and put together the facts on this. It is also believed to be true at this point as well and testing being done to see what Apple models besides the Mac Pro if any are having this problem.



    Once I have more details I will post it here.
  • Reply 7 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post


    I think their solution might have been to include a dual-link DVI port on the Mac Pro.



    If you use dual displays then you have to hook up one of them to the Mini-DP port with the adaptor so in that case, there might be a problem but the adaptor has been tested on the MBPs:



    http://getsatisfaction.com/apple/top...y_port_adapter



    "I just bought a Samsung 2433BW, which is fantastic. It was a little difficult to attach to the included base--just remember that the instructions are on the shipping box, not in the user manual, and you'll be fine. It's working great with my 15" MBP and the Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter, but it has native inputs for DVI and VGA.



    It's 24" and 1920x1200. I paid about AUD$360 including delivery."



    1920 x 1200 is the maximum supported resolution. Perhaps some displays haven't been detected properly and dropping down to a safe 1600x1200 size.



    Perhaps as I said, the laptops may not be affected and you are right in that regard. However, this story is just now surfacing as other news sources are starting to hear this and testing is now in progress to see what can be determined as the root cause.



    From what is believed at this point, there is a sort of "Resolution Jail" (term quote from a news source) that may have been implemented by Apple for NON Apple displays. Right now it is also unclear rather this is intentional by Apple to try to sell more displays or a hardware issue in the Mini Display Port.



    Once I hear more details from others and news sources I will post it here.
  • Reply 8 of 34
    sennensennen Posts: 1,465member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacFanJeff View Post


    From what is believed at this point, there is a sort of "Resolution Jail" (term quote from a news source) that may have been implemented by Apple for NON Apple displays. Right now it is also unclear rather this is intentional by Apple to try to sell more displays or a hardware issue in the Mini Display Port.



    Once I hear more details from others and news sources I will post it here.



    of course, IF the issue exists the most logical reason and first conclusion is obviously that it must be because apple is "crippling" it's machines...
  • Reply 9 of 34
    copelandcopeland Posts: 298member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post


    of course, IF the issue exists the most logical reason and first conclusion is obviously that it must be because apple is "crippling" it's machines...



    It woudln't have been a first time for Apple. Remember the B&W G3 PowerMacs.

    When Apple released the G4 PowerMac they issued a Firmware update for the G3s, saying to improve PATA reliability.

    The PATA was as flaky as before, but after applying the update you couldn't upgrade your PM to a G4.



    I don't know the reason for this miniDP issue or if it is real, but Apple can be cumbersome sometimes.
  • Reply 10 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post


    of course, IF the issue exists the most logical reason and first conclusion is obviously that it must be because apple is "crippling" it's machines...



    I do not get into flame bait, as I am only reporting what was heard from a known news source which was "Macbreak Weekly". It was Leo Laporte that also said it may be "some sort of conspiracy by Apple - Bad".



    Other news sources have heard this now too. I do not defend Apple or any piece of technology/brand and would rather challenge them and get to the bottom of this issue.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,660member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacFanJeff View Post


    I do not get into flame bait, as I am only reporting what was heard from a known news source which was "Macbreak Weekly". It was Leo Laporte that also said it may be "some sort of conspiracy by Apple - Bad".



    Other news sources have heard this now too. I do not defend Apple or any piece of technology/brand and would rather challenge them and get to the bottom of this issue.



    Fine, I guess. I notice that you've posted the same thing over at the Mac Rumor forums, and several people have reported that they're running third party displays at full res off the mini display port on their Mac Pros just fine, which seems relevant.



    It would help if you would post links to the sources you're citing.
  • Reply 12 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post


    Fine, I guess. I notice that you've posted the same thing over at the Mac Rumor forums, and several people have reported that they're running third party displays at full res off the mini display port on their Mac Pros just fine, which seems relevant.



    It would help if you would post links to the sources you're citing.



    Actually, it would help if you quote what was said in detail on that thread at Mac Rumors to not leave misconceptions. Only three people so far have reported in at this time.



    Here is the statement in detail:



    "It is interesting to read what you say as I assume you mean you are running your Dell and Samsung through the Mini Display Port? If so, are you using both monitors at the same time? Have you tried both of them as single monitors through the Mini Display Port at 1900X1200?



    You said you have a 2009 Mac Pro GT120 video card and it *may* be a factor of:



    1. The GT120 models are not affected, only ATI cards.



    2. Only certain monitor brands are affected by it.



    3. Only certain parts are affected and/or defective meaning depending upon what batch they are from the issue shows up.



    At least this is something to go on and others are still working on this to determine what factors are."



    The one user there with an ATI 4870 has edited his post to show it is a non-Apple display. That is at least something to go on to narrow down the scope of possibilities.



    As mentioned several times now, there are many factors still in play on this and until more reports and testing come in from both users and other news sources we don't know where or what those issues may be.



    You have asked for links twice now and I have referred you twice to the Macbreak Weekly show. The other sources that have heard this but not yet reported on it is TMUP and Steve Stranger.



    Bottom line is once I get more facts and reports I will post them on both sites. So far though, the reports are not proven wrong at least for some users at this point. What that means is unknown.
  • Reply 13 of 34
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,660member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacFanJeff View Post


    Actually, it would help if you quote what was said in detail on that thread at Mac Rumors to not leave misconceptions. Only three people so far have reported in at this time.



    Here is the statement in detail:



    "It is interesting to read what you say as I assume you mean you are running your Dell and Samsung through the Mini Display Port? If so, are you using both monitors at the same time? Have you tried both of them as single monitors through the Mini Display Port at 1900X1200?



    You said you have a 2009 Mac Pro GT120 video card and it *may* be a factor of:



    1. The GT120 models are not affected, only ATI cards.



    2. Only certain monitor brands are affected by it.



    3. Only certain parts are affected and/or defective meaning depending upon what batch they are from the issue shows up.



    At least this is something to go on and others are still working on this to determine what factors are."



    The one user there with an ATI 4870 has edited his post to show it is a non-Apple display. That is at least something to go on to narrow down the scope of possibilities.



    As mentioned several times now, there are many factors still in play on this and until more reports and testing come in from both users and other news sources we don't know where or what those issues may be.



    You have asked for links twice now and I have referred you twice to the Macbreak Weekly show. The other sources that have heard this but not yet reported on it is TMUP and Steve Stranger.



    Bottom line is once I get more facts and reports I will post them on both sites. So far though, the reports are not proven wrong at least for some users at this point. What that means is unknown.



    Gah. Dude. You need to chill a little.



    The "full statement" that you think I should have included in mentioning MacRumors is just your response. The actual user responses are these:



    Quote:

    Perhaps I'm missing something but my GT120 is working perfectly fine with both a DELL 24" and a samsung 26" LCD. Both run at 1920x1200 res.

    Link to the article ?\t



    I'm having no issues running 1920x1200 with my ATI 4870 card. Straight DVI and mini DP -> DVI work fine.



    Edit: Just to clarify, this is with a NON Apple display.

    \t



    Fine here

    I'm running 2048x1152 on a samsung 2343BWX just fine though the mini display port on my Mac pro 09. I did have an issue with the first one I got and had to return it, but it didn't work at all....

    \t



    So as far as I can make out, the only place this problem has been mentioned is in a podcast, somewhere, and a couple of other people who haven't actually posted anything.



    And the only hard information I can link to is three people who are telling you that they don't have a problem, under specifically the circumstances you are saying the podcast said is a problem. And while it might be only three, it's still 100% of your respondents.



    So it seems like maybe it would be a good idea to wait and see, yeah? If there is a problem I'm sure we'll have plenty of verification pretty quickly, after all running several third party monitors at high res on a Mac Pro wouldn't be an unusual situation.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacFanJeff View Post


    I do not get into flame bait, as I am only reporting what was heard from a known news source which was "Macbreak Weekly". It was Leo Laporte that also said it may be "some sort of conspiracy by Apple - Bad".



    Other news sources have heard this now too. I do not defend Apple or any piece of technology/brand and would rather challenge them and get to the bottom of this issue.



    This strikes the casual reader as someone yelling "Fire!" in crowded theater and then coming back and saying "well, maybe, but there's a podcast where someone smelled smoke and there are some other people who are looking into it and they haven't said anything one way or the other yet".



    Meanwhile, 100 people were just trampled to death.
  • Reply 15 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacFanJeff View Post


    You have asked for links twice now and I have referred you twice to the Macbreak Weekly show. The other sources that have heard this but not yet reported on it is TMUP and Steve Stranger.



    I've listened to that episode...you can't really cite that as a source as Scott Bourne offers no credible source of information.
  • Reply 16 of 34
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post


    of course, IF the issue exists the most logical reason and first conclusion is obviously that it must be because apple is "crippling" it's machines...



    I don't think so, but so far the Mini-DP experiment has been less than ideal from lack of devices and first part adapters to flaky compatibility with the VGA and DVI with Dual link being particularly spotty. Apple introduced it probably before it was ready, but with the new Macbook designs, they didn't have any real other choice without losing at least another USB port.
  • Reply 17 of 34
    bareddbaredd Posts: 30member
    Sat here on my unibody macbook (not pro) with my 24" 1900x1200 DELL at 60Hz very happily........ tried both VGA and DVI inputs with no problems whatsoever.
  • Reply 18 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k squared View Post


    I've listened to that episode...you can't really cite that as a source as Scott Bourne offers no credible source of information.



    If you read my posts, you will see where I never stated it as known fact, only where that initial report came from. They are looking into it and hopefully someone will have some more details on this soon.



    However there is still a very legit issue that has yet to be proven one way or the other at this time. Again, I state there are still several factors in play here that have yet to be tested to see what those issues may be.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,660member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacFanJeff View Post


    If you read my posts, you will see where I never stated it as known fact, only where that initial report came from. They are looking into it and hopefully someone will have some more details on this soon.



    However there is still a very legit issue that has yet to be proven one way or the other at this time. Again, I state there are still several factors in play here that have yet to be tested to see what those issues may be.



    Except 100% of the hard information we have consists of users reporting no problems, against what appears at this point to be little more than a passing remark on a podcast, so I think the burden of proof is on anyone claiming that there is a problem at all.



    I mean, you could just kind of keep waving your hands around saying "questions remain" and "we haven't examined all the variables" and stuff, but by that level of evidence we could claim that MacBook Pro keyboards might burst into flame under certain, yet to be determined circumstances.



    Which might even be true, of course, but not particularly significant.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by baredd View Post


    Sat here on my unibody macbook (not pro) with my 24" 1900x1200 DELL at 60Hz very happily........ tried both VGA and DVI inputs with no problems whatsoever.



    Please give more details as it would help in obtaining an accurate feedback test. I am putting them together and forwarding them on. I am working on this as well to see what the issues may be. So far all I can say is it has yet to be proven untrue because several factors are still not tested.



    Can you help and let us know if you are running Mini Display port straight to a NON Apple display at 1900X1200 with an Apple brand adapter (i.e. Mini Display Port to DVI)?



    The DVI Port and VGA was not an issue, the problem may lie in the MDP only.



    Once you send the details on your connection I will add it to my others to send along.
Sign In or Register to comment.