Apple Mini Display Port NOT working at resolutions over 1600X1200 for NON Apple brand

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacFanJeff View Post

Please give more details as it would help in obtaining an accurate feedback test. I am putting them together and forwarding them on. I am working on this as well to see what the issues may be. So far all I can say is it has yet to be proven untrue because several factors are still not tested.

Can you help and let us know if you are running Mini Display port straight to a NON Apple display at 1900X1200 with an Apple brand adapter (i.e. Mini Display Port to DVI)?

The DVI Port and VGA was not an issue, the problem may lie in the MDP only.

Once you send the details on your connection I will add it to my others to send along.

He said "unibody MacBook". What video port could it be other than mini-DP?

Secondly, you state that the problem hasn't been disproved yet. I don't get it... your whole train of thought is based on the hypothesis that mini-DP is broken on Apple computers, at least as far as working with non-Apple displays is concerned. I think you have it backward. The hypothesis should be that it isn't broken until demonstrated that it is. When are you going to demonstrate this? Endlessly stating that "people are looking into this" doesn't disprove the correct hypothesis.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

He said "unibody MacBook". What video port could it be other than mini-DP?

Secondly, you state that the problem hasn't been disproved yet. I don't get it... your whole train of thought is based on the hypothesis that mini-DP is broken on Apple computers, at least as far as working with non-Apple displays is concerned. I think you have it backward. The hypothesis should be that it isn't broken until demonstrated that it is. When are you going to demonstrate this? Endlessly stating that "people are looking into this" doesn't disprove the correct hypothesis.

Defending something blindly without getting to the truth, regardless of what is proven does no one any good. If you approach it from your angle, there would be no investigation into this at all.

1. Yes, we know the specs on it, but the question exactly was:

"Can you help and let us know if you are running Mini Display port straight to a NON Apple display at 1900X1200 with an Apple brand adapter (i.e. Mini Display Port to DVI)?"

Clearly it asks if it's an Apple brand adapter as there are ones by others like monoprice.com too. That gives more data to go on as to what can and can't be ruled out.

2. Rather being a good journalist or scientist you want to get to the facts. This can only be done once enough samples are obtained from both outside users and confirmed on lab testing in person. That is just one of the few reasons why this has yet to be dis proven as fact at this time. A Scientist or Journalist must put together enough solid data to know the outcome.

Again, all you have to do is refer to prior posts, you seem to have a need to be very defensive and waste resources and time on what is clearly already stated. All that is being done is the gathering of facts and data until an outcome is known. When I hear more and know more about this it will be posted.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    OK. But what if you're a robot from the future sent to confuse us?

We can't rule it out till we have more information. That's just common sense.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Please don't feed trolls...when someone won't accept conflicting data you can quickly determine they have some bizzaro agenda.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Please don't feed trolls...when someone won't accept conflicting data you can quickly determine they have some bizzaro agenda.

I think you are correct. He never stated he has a problem yet is obsessed with collecting data to determine if there even is a problem. It really begs the question of who he's representing.
  • Reply 26 of 34
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    I had to return a MacBook and 30" Cinema Display, because even with the Mini DisplayPort > Dual Link DVI adaptor, the MacBook was unable to drive the 30" panel as advertised.

The person I deal with at Apple bent over backwards for me, and I was able to return the 30" panel and the adapter for a full refund. I daresay I would have been able to have gotten a refund on the MacBook as well, but I chose to hold on to it and go for the 24" LED Cinema Display...

...which also gave me problems!
  • Reply 27 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

I had to return a MacBook and 30" Cinema Display, because even with the Mini DisplayPort > Dual Link DVI adaptor, the MacBook was unable to drive the 30" panel as advertised.

The person I deal with at Apple bent over backwards for me, and I was able to return the 30" panel and the adapter for a full refund. I daresay I would have been able to have gotten a refund on the MacBook as well, but I chose to hold on to it and go for the 24" LED Cinema Display...

...which also gave me problems!

Thanks for reporting, that is the type of feedback I need to add to my data and is helpful to go on. I will be sending in what I know so far and quotes and links to the relevant posts later today.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    bareddbaredd Posts: 31member
    Quote:

Please give more details as it would help in obtaining an accurate feedback test. I am putting them together and forwarding them on. I am working on this as well to see what the issues may be. So far all I can say is it has yet to be proven untrue because several factors are still not tested.

Can you help and let us know if you are running Mini Display port straight to a NON Apple display at 1900X1200 with an Apple brand adapter (i.e. Mini Display Port to DVI)?

The DVI Port and VGA was not an issue, the problem may lie in the MDP only.

Once you send the details on your connection I will add it to my others to send along.

I am running a Dell 2407WFP (if I remember correctly) from my 2.4GHz Apple MacBook 13.3" and have tried both my official Apple MDP to DVI and MDP to VGA adaptors both working with no issues at the native resolution, no problems and very happy with it. One thing I have noticed, the Dell screen which cost almost half the price of the MacBook is a much lower quality of screen than the MacBooks!
  • Reply 29 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by baredd View Post

I am running a Dell 2407WFP (if I remember correctly) from my 2.4GHz Apple MacBook 13.3" and have tried both my official Apple MDP to DVI and MDP to VGA adaptors both working with no issues at the native resolution, no problems and very happy with it. One thing I have noticed, the Dell screen which cost almost half the price of the MacBook is a much lower quality of screen than the MacBooks!

Thanks for letting me know, I added your post to the relevant ones along with the data I have collected on other sites and sent it out late this evening. Glad to hear it is working OK for you and everything is fine.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:

Thanks for letting me know, I added your post to the relevant ones along with the data I have collected on other sites and sent it out late this evening. Glad to hear it is working OK for you and everything is fine.

my set up works fine
  • Reply 31 of 34
    macfanjeffmacfanjeff Posts: 28member
    It took a while to get enough feedback and listener responses. But so far, there is good news in that there does NOT seem to be an issue with the Mini Display Port to DVI connections and VGA seems OK too.

This has now also been conformed OK by responders to TMUP so this is indeed good news.

Not enough responses or confirmation yet on:

1. 30 inch displays.

2. Mini Display Port to Standard Display Port on Non Apple LCD monitors.

Some of the issues were traced back to defective video cards and early drivers causing some of those issues as well. I will report back if I hear anything else reported, but that is where it stands for now and is good news.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by baredd View Post

Sat here on my unibody macbook (not pro) with my 24" 1900x1200 DELL at 60Hz very happily........ tried both VGA and DVI inputs with no problems whatsoever.

So using the MDP to VGA adapter to connect your Unibody MB to a 24" DELL LCD monitor, you're able to run it @ 1920x1200 ? I have an HP 24" LCD that has a native res of 1920x1200. I goofed up and bought the MDP to HDMI cable only to discover it won't support anything higher than 1920x1080 (DUH). The only other input on the HP is VGA so I just wanted to make sure the MDP to VGA adapter will run the HP at it's native res. Thanks
  • Reply 33 of 34
    I just received my 17in MacBook Pro. I can display at 1920 X 1200 to my Dell 2405 24 inch wide screen monitor using both the VGA and DVI.
  • Reply 34 of 34
    UPDATE: Problem solved. I picked up the MDP to VGA adapter and was able to use the monitors native res of 1920x1200 but the flicker and wavyness made it impossible to use. And yes the adapter had the current firmware. But what I discovered in the process was that in mirror mode I am unable to drive the monitor at optimum resolution. With that in mind I tried the MDP to HDMI adapter again, unchecking mirror mode, moving the Finder bar to the external display and SHAZAM. I have a rock solid display external display now running at 1920x1200 : )