Notes of interest from Apple's Q209 quarterly conference call

Comments

• Reply 41 of 97
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    ".... we think that competition is great... as long as other companies invent their own stuff."

I'm really beginning to like this guy!
  • Reply 42 of 97
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Offer SLI and even triple SLI on the Mac Pro and you'll see sales noticeably improve.

Without that the CAD/CAM/FEA industry will use Linux before OS X.
  • Reply 43 of 97
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    From my experience you at least need a 12 inch display to correctly view a webpage.

A webpage that has been formatted for mobile phones, you don't have to do any zooming on the iPhone. Pretty much all of the most popular websites have mobile formatted sites too. Also websites arraigned in a column format are easy to navigate on the iPhone without the need for a lot of pinch/zoom. The problem is not as big as you make it sound.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by UltimateKylie View Post

There is a HUGE difference between a 9" display that lets you view most websites and a iPod Touch/iPhone where you must constantly zoom in and out to gather anything. In addition to the fact that you have netbooks with 80+ GB HDD. While I appreciate the usual fud from Apple corporate, its nothing but coverups until they release a netbook. They will... just watch... the ending shows it all... I can see it now "netbooks done right" by Apple.

• Reply 44 of 97
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Here's what Tim Cook had to say about netbbooks:

?For us, it?s about doing great products. And when I look at what is being sold in the netbook space today, I see cramped keyboards, terrible software, junky hardware, very small screens, and just not a consumer experience? that we would put the Mac brand on, quite frankly. And so it?s not a space, as it exists today, that we?re interested in, nor do we believe that customers in the long term would be interested in.?

Tim Cook to netbooks: "Drop dead."

Make of that what you will, but whatever ever Apple tends to openly denigrate, ends up losing its desirability. It gets Wal-Mart'ed.

It's an absolutely brilliant way of saying you're the superior brand, the superior option. It's ballsy in the extreme. No one else does that. And no on else is enjoying the success that Apple is, either.

Apple will release a device to "compete" with these netbooks in the Premium category. But it won't look like a netbook. Other companies will try to follow suit - that is, duplicate the features and desirability of this new product/paradigm at lower cost (what they usually try to do.) Netbooks will be supplanted and die a slow death.

So get one of these budget-bangers while you can, because they won't last.
  • Reply 45 of 97
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Make of that what you will, but whatever ever Apple tends to openly denigrate, ends up losing its desirability. It gets Wal-Mart'ed.

iPods and IPhones are sold at Wal-Mart.
  • Reply 46 of 97
    801801 Posts: 271member
    Net book?

After spending too much time on the ipod touch, I am ready for a larger version that I can see better, type on easier, with better reception, that I can run the game apps on, surf on, get on my time machine disk for reading and editing documents, and view a movie on, or listen to music.

I want a handpad I can read a newspaper on, read a book on, and answer my emails on. I don't expect a two handed touch typing system. It would be nice if I could skype on it too. I want to use Ical, safari, and Itunes. If you want to toss in a gps feature, OK, but that's too much like the phone. The compass and accelerometers would expand the game market, as long as they could talk to one another.

I don't want a phone ( G3 or G4 voice thang) . I don't want to take real pictures with it. I don't want to write a novel on it. I want a heavy duty touch, with a great screen, that I can network into my other Imacs, and use them for a remote drive. If you want a USB port, thats OK too, but not a deal breaker.

Decent battery life would be nice, and a decent amount of on board memory.

I am getting an Air, but I want something I don't have to read on my lap in bed. I figure that is what SJ is monkeying with at home right now. That, or driving the wife and kids crazy. It's half the reason I think he took off, to get better and get this project done.

Oh, and I want a baby blue unicorn and talks and poops rainbows.
  • Reply 47 of 97
    guinnessguinness Posts: 473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

He has a point. These netbooks are small and cramped, but they run software optimized for larger displays on normal PCs. I have an MSI Wind with Mac OS X installed, it's okay, but it is in no way a PC replacement. Regardless of the processing power, the small screen and keyboard make it less than ideal for everyday use. The iPhone is not a PC replacement, it's a cellphone and iPod with some functions of a PC done in a completely different way. It's meant to supplement your PC, not replace it.

Netbook sales are growing but they are not overshadowing smartphone or notebook sales in any way. If you are going to have a portable device to supplement your PC an iPhone is much more portable and convenient while on the go. If you are going to use it as your only machine, I don't see why one wouldn't get a full-sized notebook for $400 fora 15" display, full sized keyboard and dual-core CPU, instead of $300 for something vastly slower and less capable.

To each their own, I see a place for netbooks, but I understand Apple's position here. And I can't really see them making one for less than $700-$800.

But a netbook makes more sense for browsing the web, taking notes, writing extended e-mails, etc, than an iPhone/Touch.

I just can't get that warmed up over spending more than a few minutes using mobile Safari on a 3.5" screen, or not being able to check or even write e-mail in landscape mode on my Touch, not to mention it lacks CPU speed, storage, and memory.

It could also be an issue with my Touch (OS 2.2), but it has a lag when trying to type messages in Safari, or it just gives up and crashes. The whole reason I got a netbook, is that I wanted something smaller than my laptop, but had more oomph than my Touch; the Touch a better browsing experience than my phone, but it's only good in a pinch.
  • Reply 48 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guinness View Post

But a netbook makes more sense for browsing the web, taking notes, writing extended e-mails, etc, than an iPhone/Touch.

Absolutely, and a notebook makes more sense than a netbook. More importantly, the iPhone isn't trying to be a notebook, it's a handheld device with some internet capabilities.

The problem with all of today's netbooks and a lot of CE is they wedge themselves into an area they think is devoid and then try to fit the needs of everything above and below it. Netbooks are really the worst of everything. It's not a comfortable or usable notebook and it's not a portable handheld device. It's better to have a notebook and an iPhone/Touch than it would be to have a netbook, and there is no reason to have all three at once. They have Atom processors that can't even run "high quality" video on Hulu because Flash is too resource hungry. It's 480p and a low bitrate at that, but you have to use 360p if you want to prevent stuttering.
  • Reply 49 of 97
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

— Apple isn't refusing to give people a 12" 4:3 machine, it's the market that doesn't want it. I can't imagine you would have thought your response through so I'll explain it to you. As it stands now, the 13" MB display is shorter than the old 12" PB display. If you go to an 11" widescreen format you get yourself a display that is worthless for viewing pages of text on, whose only value is for video.

Why must you always challenge me? You always loose. The 13inch MacBook is 2 inches wider than the 12inch PowerBook. Put down your KoolAid and look it up -I dare you. You're laughable- you can't read text on an 11 " display? Right and that's why netbooks are designed primarily just for that and they go down to 5 inches.

By your reasoning your iPhone's screen is worthless but alas I'm positive you'll come up for a reason that it's better than an 11" screen to view because it's an Apple iPhone.
  • Reply 50 of 97
    Quote:

Absolutely, and a notebook makes more sense than a netbook. More importantly, the iPhone isn't trying to be a notebook, it's a handheld device with some internet capabilities.

The problem with all of today's netbooks and a lot of CE is they wedge themselves into an area they think is devoid and then try to fit the needs of everything above and below it. Netbooks are really the worst of everything. It's not a comfortable or usable notebook and it's not a portable handheld device. It's better to have a notebook and an iPhone/Touch than it would be to have a netbook, and there is no reason to have all three at once. They have Atom processors that can't even run "high quality" video on Hulu because Flash is too resource hungry. It's 480p and a low bitrate at that, but you have to use 360p if you want to prevent stuttering.

At least I'm glad you agree that a notebook makes more sense.
  • Reply 51 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Why must you always challenge me? You always loose. The 13inch MacBook is 2 inches wider than the 12inch PowerBook. Put down your KoolAid and look it up -I dare you. You're laughable- you can't read text on an 11 " display? Right and that's why netbooks are designed primarily just for that and they go down to 5 inches.

By your reasoning your iPhone's screen is worthless but alas I'm positive you'll come up for a reason that it's better than an 11" screen to view because it's an Apple iPhone.

Lose? When have you ever come close to having a viable argument you could win. Case in point, I state that 4:3 ratio 12" PB was taller and the 13" 16:9 MB being shorter and you come back with a comment about the MB being considerably wider, which with a 16:9 ratio proves my point to a tee, but you think think proves your point in some bizarro Teckstudian logic. You need to check your meds and your math again. Back to the ignore list with you, Tecktroll.
  • Reply 52 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I am buying one, too. I am moving my alu iMac (beautiful machine) home and buying either a
    • MacBook with a 24" monitor. My fave choice at the moment - great portability with a great monitor for desk work.

• A 17" mbp. I would choose the matte screeen. A little large and a little pricey but what a great machine!

• A 15" mbp. All around work horse and I know I would be very happy. Also the best price

I am stuck trying to figure out which will be the most amazing thing to own and the most practical on a day to day basis. Gimme any and I'll be happy. Ouch!

Originally I was going to buy an iMac but for reasons I've mentioned before decided to stay with my white power horse,

So now I want a new laptop.I was in Apple yesterday & was talking to a sales rep telling her I kinda of like the MBA without the black border but was told for video editing (iMovie) not good- go for the MacBook. However the new MacBook has no firewire for my camera! Then I notice how the body show scratches very easy unlike the white one. And then there's the high glossed screens. There they all were bouncing lights off them and the Mac class is being taught with the old matte cinema display which all could view from every angle. I swear - whoever decided to go high glossy screen for the environment should be waterboarded- I'm talking to you Al Gore.

However the 17 inch matte MacBook Pro is unbelievable- amazing. NO ugly black border around the screen. And that screen is gorgeous. Why Apple why? I am stuck too.
  • Reply 53 of 97
    Quote:

Lose? When have you ever come close to having a viable argument you could win. Case in point, I state that 4:3 ration 12" PB was taller than the 13" 16:9 MB being shorter and you come back with a comment about the MB being wider, which with a 16:9 proves my point. You need to check your meds and your math again.
  • Reply 54 of 97
    Quote:

Lose? When have you ever come close to having a viable argument you could win. Case in point, I state that 4:3 ratio 12" PB was taller and the 13" 16:9 MB being shorter and you come back with a comment about the MB being considerably wider, which with a 16:9 ratio proves my point to a tee, but you think think proves your point in some bizarro Teckstudian logic. You need to check your meds and your math again. Back to the ignore list with you, Tecktroll.

Tecktroll? People want a small form factor- I don't care if it's 16:9-.4:3 -whatever. Small is in- that my point. You keep distorting it with screen ratios and everything you can conjure up in your kool-aid bag of tricks.
  • Reply 55 of 97
    Quote:

Troll much?

— 2% decline in worldwide unit sales year-over-year in a worldwide recession and you honestly write crap like "Macs aren't selling".

— If you think that no one likes gloss screens you need to up your dosage.

— Apple isn't refusing to give people a 12" 4:3 machine, it's the market that doesn't want it. I can't imagine you would have thought your response through so I'll explain it to you. As it stands now, the 13" MB display is shorter than the old 12" PB display. If you go to an 11" widescreen format you get yourself a display that is worthless for viewing pages of text on, whose only value is for video.

— You want price drops yet their profit is down 12% yet their sales only down 2% year-over-year. I'd say they already put in a price cut.

— Your previous comments that the Shuffle sucks is obviously false now that they stated " buyers responded well", or are you going to try to weasel yourself out of that comment, too.

Got Kool-aid?

- They are not selling as well- the figures and the writer of this article states that not me. Stop spinning lies and distortions.

- Never said no one likes glossy screen. But many of us don't - again you distort what I write.

- Apple had refused to give us a small formed factor laptop again and again. MBA is not small- it's thin. The 12 inch Powerbook was 2 inches less wide than any 13 inch current model MacBook and was wildly popular and missed by those that owned them. Fact not fiction. An 11inch 16:9 would be a small formed laptop. The 13 inch MacBook simply does not fill this niche nor does the MBA.

- I mention one price drop in the MacMini and you go ballistic stating I said price drops everywhere?

-The new shuffle does suck - what does "buyers responded well" mean? It's a brand new product- of course it's gonna sell to the trendoids and the uninformed. Why wouldn't it sell?

You're laughable with your constant distortions and misrepresentations of what I or any others say against the doctrine.
  • Reply 56 of 97
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    146 million notebooks were sold in 2008, while roughly 11 million netbooks were sold. Just to put their popularity in perspective.

Quote:

Tecktroll? People want a small form factor- I don't care if it's 16:9-.4:3 -whatever. Small is in- that my point. You keep distorting it with screen ratios and everything you can conjure up in your kool-aid bag of tricks.

• Reply 57 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

146 million notebooks were sold in 2008, while roughly 11 million netbooks were sold. Just to put their popularity in perspective.

7% over very few years- not bad.

Kinda of like Mac's share of computer sales- like 8 % over like how many years?

your point? so? and?
  • Reply 58 of 97
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Here's what Tim Cook had to say about netbbooks:

?For us, it?s about doing great products. And when I look at what is being sold in the netbook space today, I see cramped keyboards, terrible software, junky hardware, very small screens, and just not a consumer experience? that we would put the Mac brand on, quite frankly. And so it?s not a space, as it exists today, that we?re interested in, nor do we believe that customers in the long term would be interested in.?

Tim Cook to netbooks: "Drop dead."

It's an absolutely brilliant way of saying you're the superior brand, the superior option. It's ballsy in the extreme. No one else does that. And no on else is enjoying the success that Apple is, either.

Apple will release a device to "compete" with these netbooks in the Premium category. But it won't look like a netbook. Other companies will try to follow suit - that is, duplicate the features and desirability of this new product/paradigm at lower cost (what they usually try to do.) Netbooks will be supplanted and die a slow death.

So get one of these budget-bangers while you can, because they won't last.

I don't think so...

If Apple comes up with pricey competitor to netbooks, it will do as well as other Apple computers do in their respective markets... taking, on average, less than 10% of that market. No matter how cool Apple "netbook" (or whatever comes out) will be, majority of people will still need just a basic ultra-portable computer with adequate price.

Only markets where Apple does rock&roll (market share wise) - beside not being typical computer market segments - are markets where Apple pricing is very competitive to competition. iPods - at least here in NZ - are equally priced, often even cheaper than equivalent Creative Zens and other brands. iPhone is more than price-competitive with high end Nokias, Blackerries and HTC - actually, handful of them are more expensive than iPhone and, arguably, are not offering more features.
  • Reply 59 of 97
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

And meanwhile perhaps 10 million Touches were sold in 2008 (13 million were sold from its first release in fall 2007 through end of 2008). with 3 million more now in the first quarter of 2009. it may have started as a better iPod, but once iPhone apps arrived last year it became much more - a mini net tablet.

So if/when apple releases a 9" Touch this year, it will blow the "junky" netbooks away (and they'll be selling for $99), more than doubling its current sales pace, dramatically surpassing all PC netbook sales.
  • Reply 60 of 97
    Why on earth (or any other planet) would Apple want to build a low cost netbook to compete with all the other netbooks (and eat into their own highly profitable laptop business)? Although they seem to be selling in good numbers, It seems unlikely that any netbook manufacturer is making any profits on the little buggers. To throw out junk equipment would not enhance the Mac user experience. Apple does not make junk and hopefully never will.

Will the larger touch screen device be priced in the $300 to $500 range. Very doubtful. But it will be a slick machine built on quality equipment, based on an ever expanding software platform. No doubt it will be able to print, accept external keyboards and mice, and have other USB expandability. It will be a game changer for the long run, unlike the netbook fad, which, I predict, will fade as users realize how crummy they really are.

(Fire away!)