Comments

• Reply 81 of 97
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLad View Post

snip

snip

snip

Next time you feel like doing that... could you find a toilet first?
  • Reply 82 of 97
    That's a significant disparity between desktop and notebook Mac sales- 800k vs 1.4m

I'd attribute that to Apple not selling the desktop people want, rather than to the market's overall preference for notebooks, which is 1-2 points (probably more if you take netbooks into account).
  • Reply 83 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

Because they are going to realize that their existing customer base is already buying netbooks.

Good thinking. By that logic, because people want to buy them:

Krell has to start selling $100 surround sound systems.

BMW has to start selling stripped Tata copies.

Harley Davidson has to start selling 50cc scooters.

Grado has to start selling knock-offs of $8 gummy ear buds.

Ruths Chris has to start selling $1.00 hamburgers (you want fries with that?)

Man! They are ALL GONNA GET RICH on that strategy!
  • Reply 84 of 97
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Cheap computing for the masses is only bad if it does not provide the manufacturer with enough profit to stay out of bankruptcy.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by guinness View Post

Yeah, cheap computing for the masses is a bad thing.

I don't give a rat's ass about some logo or how some company can rape me on high profit margins. I love OSX, but I'm not that dense to pass up something that I think is a pretty good price/performance ratio, and I can even type pretty well on it too (like I am right now).

• Reply 85 of 97
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    So you are saying Apple has lost its way despite that fact that it is making more money than most other computer makers in the worst economic down turn in the last 70 years?

At the same time you saying Apple no longer "Think's Different" or innovates, because they aren't doing the same things everyone else is doing?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLad View Post

Seriously folks Apple has really lost its way, being an Apple fan boy for nearly 3 decades, i am ashamed of what they have become. They are now Big Blue. They have become what their founders hated. Think Different. Well Apple its time you Think Different. Start innovating again and listening to what we want.

• Reply 86 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

The 10" netbooks primary weakness however is height resolution. 1024x576 sucks.

I guess you are too young to remember Macs with built in 10" screens that only did black and white at 640x480.

Then came the 14" and 15" screens that also did only 640x480 but were in COLOR!!!!
  • Reply 87 of 97
    Reading between the lines, I think it quite clear what's coming:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple CFO Peter Oppenheimer on netbooks: "I see cramped keyboards, terrible software, junky hardware, very small screens. And just not a consumer experience and not something we would put the Mac brand on, quite frankly. It's not a segment we're interested in and we don't believe customers are interested in."

10", the typical netbook size, is too small for a keyboard, hence it will be a tablet.

It will not be a Mac, i.e. not run full Mac OS X.

Quote:

"A customer who wants to buy a small computer for e-mail or web browsing may want to buy an iPod touch or an iPhone."

The iPhone OS is sufficient for the netbook tasks.

Quote:

"If we find a way to deliver a product that makes an innovative contribution," Apple may enter the space if a real market market materializes.

Innovation means a tablet, perhaps more.

I guessing it will be introduced shortly after WWDC. Before or at WWDC would steal focus from iPhone 3.0 (and SL).

Best,

Daniel
  • Reply 88 of 97
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

...because Apple is not giving people what they want.

1. High gloss screens. Prepare for the return of matte- the 17 inch matte I saw yesterday was absolutely stunning.

2. Smaller form factor. Prior owners of the old 12 inch PowerBook want that size and Apple refuses. This will change as well with these NetBook numbers going through the roof. Apple needs an 11 inch Notebook not a NetBook.

3.) Price- drop price of the MacMini ASAP. Apple only hurts itself with this pricing.

The iPod Touch is amazing and it's soon to be released big brother will be amazing. but we need great Macs. I need to buy a new one and am stuck trying to figure out which one has the least drawbacks.

Again with the constant griping about glossy screens. Are you ever going to figure out that just because you don't like them, this does not mean consumers as a group dislike them? I actually very much like my mac's glossy screen. I like laptops with glossy screens. I DISLIKE matte screens.

You simply have GOT to get past this attitude you have that your opinions somehow represent the majority of people. They don't. They are just your opinions.

Mac shipments have probably dropped because computer sales for just about everyone else have dropped, and that is because we are in a recession. Against that backdrop, Apple is doing very well, as evidenced by its advancing stock today. Why you have to connect this to your ego-centric grudge against glossy screens is just beyond me, really.

Can you please get past the reasoning of a two year old and recognize that your thoughts and feelings are not actually the same as those of everyone else? I'm convinced that would be a huge plus for the rest of us. Thanks.
  • Reply 89 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Yeah, dude, what a loooser! Really, fire, the man. He has NO idea.

Listen, is that coming from your experience as the CFO of a corporation with a market cap of over 100B, or is that coming from your experience of (mostly) managing to balance your own check-book? Is it coming from your obvious success conceiving, pushing forth the development of, and successfully marketing products in order to build a business, or is it coming from your experience of pushing your mouse around and clicking the keys on a computer that someone else designed and which you actually have no earthly idea how to design or produce, or even fully use?

My guess is it is closer to the latter, not the former.

This is just something to consider: If you want to be listened to by someone, you have to start by trying to understand them and their position. Blowing out flippant remarks like you've made might fulfill some need you have to feel important, but do you think even for a moment that anyone at Apple, from the janitor to Steve Jobs himself, cares even one wit about your pronouncement here? Do you think we care?

I don't want to be harsh, but please - just don't fool yourself. When all you have to offer are flippant, ill-conceived statements... you might as well be talking to yourself.
  • Reply 90 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

I don't think Apple is refusing to enter the netbook space. I just think they're refusing to call their impending tablet a netbook.

Apple wants to reinvent this space - so stay tuned.

Absolutely agreed - my guess is that when he says that Apple has some interesting ideas in this space, he is referring to a product they think will fulfill the intent of a net-book without suffering from its obvious flaws.

Jobs said that Apple doesn't want to produce junk. He did NOT say that Apple was uninterested in the market that net-books currently serve; this is a very significant difference.
  • Reply 91 of 97
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

Absolutely agreed - my guess is that when he says that Apple has some interesting ideas in this space, he is referring to a product they think will fulfill the intent of a net-book without suffering from its obvious flaws.

Jobs said that Apple doesn't want to produce junk. He did NOT say that Apple was uninterested in the market that net-books currently serve; this is a very significant difference.

Indeed.

Perhaps they intend to introduce a product that will set the netbook market on its ear in much the same way the iPhone has done with the mobile phone market.
  • Reply 92 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Small is in- that my point.

Must be what he tries to tell the ladies, as well.
  • Reply 93 of 97
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Listen, is that coming from your experience as the CFO of a corporation with a market cap of over 100B, or is that coming from your experience of (mostly) managing to balance your own check-book? Is it coming from your obvious success conceiving, pushing forth the development of, and successfully marketing products in order to build a business, or is it coming from your experience of pushing your mouse around and clicking the keys on a computer that someone else designed and which you actually have no earthly idea how to design or produce, or even fully use?

My guess is it is closer to the latter, not the former.

This is just something to consider: If you want to be listened to by someone, you have to start by trying to understand them and their position. Blowing out flippant remarks like you've made might fulfill some need you have to feel important, but do you think even for a moment that anyone at Apple, from the janitor to Steve Jobs himself, cares even one wit about your pronouncement here? Do you think we care?

I don't want to be harsh, but please - just don't fool yourself. When all you have to offer are flippant, ill-conceived statements... you might as well be talking to yourself.

Er, I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic.
  • Reply 94 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Er, I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic.

Given the garbage that regularly spews forth around here, I am not so sure.
  • Reply 95 of 97
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Again with the constant griping about glossy screens. Are you ever going to figure out that just because you don't like them, this does not mean consumers as a group dislike them? I actually very much like my mac's glossy screen. I like laptops with glossy screens. I DISLIKE matte screens.

For someone who despises glass covered glossy screens so much it's hypocritically odd that he would talk so highly about the Touch when any other PMP will have a more matte plastic cover.
  • Reply 96 of 97
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Seems like the better Apple fares, the more hysterical the postings about how they are, in fact, a terrible company making horrible gear that nobody wants.

Sort of counterintuitive.
  • Reply 97 of 97
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

I guess you are too young to remember Macs with built in 10" screens that only did black and white at 640x480.

Then came the 14" and 15" screens that also did only 640x480 but were in COLOR!!!!

Yes, because what was acceptable in 1984 is equally acceptable in 2009. Perhaps you also think that 640K is sufficient memory for computers these days too.