Amazon scoops up developer of leading eBook iPhone app

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 41
    sloanesloane Posts: 5member
    I'm not an iPhone or a Kindle person--but even if the price were as high as $500, if I really felt like it was a device that I would want to read on (that makes use of Kindle's ink/lighting technology) and that would serve as a phone and give me internet access...I think I woud probably pay up.

Dr. Tantillo, a branding expert, has a marketing and branding blog on which he does a weekly brand winner/brand loser post. He has named Apple the 'brand winner' several times, including last week: "Bottom line: Apple understands that it is there to serve its customers; Microsoft (still) does not." And in a previous post on Amazon--just after post-xmas reports were published that Amazon sales were up while other retailers' sales were done, he attributed Amazon's success to the fact that Amazon has "built themselves around the consumers? experience."

In a post on the Kindle's success, he wrote "Real marketers must always assume that a better job of serving their customers? needs is possible ?and be actively figuring out how to do so, before a competitor steps in to fill unmet demands."

It will be interesting to see if Amazon or Apple does a better job of meeting demands. My guess is that it will be Apple, because they're better positioned, I think, to work toward the sort of integration that would make the Kindle obsolete (like the Palm Pilot).