iTunes 8.2 beta hints at support of Gracenote's video platform

Comments

• Reply 21 of 122
    You all are missing the point. Blu ray discs offer up to 50GB of storage, versus the 4-5GB of a standard, single sided DVD.

Put a Super Duper Drive that can write Blu ray discs and you made archiving and storage a lot easier.

It's not just about watching movies. If it were, you can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080i on a screen smaller than 30 inches.
  • Reply 22 of 122
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Remember when he said he replaced his home stereo system with iPod Hifis!!!!

How about providing a source on this claim? Or did you just make it up?

The truth is that Apple (unofficially) pushed the iPod Hi-Fi as "a replacement for your home Stereo" which it certainly could be at the time since the audio quality was equal or better than the average home stereo. Steve Jobs once said about it that "It?s really the home stereo reinvented ..." which kind of indicates the same thing. I can't find any info however, that he personally replaced his home equipment with it.

On the other hand, what if he did? Other than a few complaints from audiophiles (and what *don't* those guys complain about), there is no indication that the iPod Hi-Fi was of any worse quality than the average home stereo system, in fact it was a lot better than most.

The central claim being made by Apple at this time was simply that since your music was no longer on your CD's and was instead on your iPod and in iTunes, that having devices around the house to plug your iPod into (or in today's world that stream music from your iPod or iTunes library), was the "home stereo of future." Seems to me that all that is accurate and insightful stuff really.
  • Reply 23 of 122
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Now why would you want to do that? A good Blu-Ray player will do a nice upconversion of your DVD, making it look better than it does. Your Apple TV will not.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy HD DVD movies, but it would be nice to have a couple of hundred movies on my Apple TV to just sit down and relax.
  • Reply 24 of 122
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTL215 View Post

saarek was talking about using iTunes as a DVD ripping software, presumable so you can (A) archive your collection, and (B) stream your movies to your TV with something like AppleTV. Currently, you need third-party software to rip DVDs.

I understand, but like I said why would you want to do that? You're losing quality once by re-encoding the video, and again by playing it from the Apple TV which won't upconvert the image like a good DVD player or Blu-Ray player would. Is it worth saving yourself the 30 seconds it takes to put the disc in the player when you're going to spend the next 90-120 minutes watching a noticeably lesser-quality picture because of it?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy HD DVD movies, but it would be nice to have a couple of hundred movies on my Apple TV to just sit down and relax.

How many times do you intend on changing the movie without getting out of your seat?
  • Reply 25 of 122
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Quote:

I understand, but like I said why would you want to do that? You're losing quality once by re-encoding the video, and again by playing it from the Apple TV which won't upconvert the image like a good DVD player or Blu-Ray player would. Is it worth saving yourself the 30 seconds it takes to put the disc in the player when you're going to spend the next 90-120 minutes watching a noticeably lesser-quality picture because of it?

How many times do you intend on changing the movie without getting out of your seat?

The main thing is that I find iTunes rentals good enough to view, sure it may not be as clear but it certainly does not destroy the experience.

You may find it is not good enough, but for me the choice of having loads of movies loaded on so that my kids can walk in after school and load their favourite disney etc would be perfect.
  • Reply 26 of 122
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:

The main thing is that I find iTunes rentals good enough to view, sure it may not be as clear but it certainly does not destroy the experience.

You may find it is not good enough, but for me the choice of having loads of movies loaded on so that my kids can walk in after school and load their favourite disney etc would be perfect.

Ah yes, children. Now I understand the interest in an all-digital library.
  • Reply 27 of 122
    copelandcopeland Posts: 298member
    What for can I use Gracenote regarding the DVD, BR area?

Will iTunes make a database of all the DVDs I own, so I can make my choice without having to go through all the physical discs?

As far as I know Apple won't be allowed to distribute a software that circumvents the encryption of a DVD, BR disc.

But hasn't Apple struck a deal with Disney that would allow you to rip a iPod usable copy of the movie?
  • Reply 28 of 122
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

Why? What is the difference to looking at 2000 horizontal pixels from one feet or from five feet away? Sure, you need a display that can display 2000 pixels, but the 24" desktops and the 17" laptops get close with 1920 pixels.

Each resolution jump on today's technology has to be mated for the proper playback equipment. 1080p HD looks best on today's monitors when you sit an appropriate length back which depends on screen size. 24" iMac monitors and laptops are hard justifications for 1080p content unless you want to funnel that data outside the computer

Quote:

Good example. Don't know why I never thought of that. To me though, it's not about the extra resolution being necessary on my computer screen, but simply having compatibility with the movies I purchase/rent. What good is a computer that can play DVDs all of the movies I've bought/rented for the past year are Blu-Ray discs?

Which is why Managed Copy dying a silent death only to be replaced by the shitty Digital Copy is a travesty. Efforts were there to deliver content compatibilty and the industry once again choked. Thankfully companies out there make ripping apps

Quote:
    Originally Posted by natemurray View Post

You all are missing the point. Blu ray discs offer up to 50GB of storage, versus the 4-5GB of a standard, single sided DVD.

Put a Super Duper Drive that can write Blu ray discs and you made archiving and storage a lot easier.

It's not just about watching movies. If it were, you can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080i on a screen smaller than 30 inches.

Yes Blu-ray to me is a non-starter "bag of hurt" if it's not a recordable device. It started life as a recorder and that's where it's main value is to me.
  • Reply 29 of 122
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by natemurray View Post

I thought when CDs came out my storage problems were solved. But now I have tons of CDs taking up space. When DVDs came out I said, "4GB - my storage problems are solved!" But somehow 4GB got filled pretty quickly and now I have piles of those too.

And now Blu-ray. Will I back up my HD home video to it? I doubt it. The only storage I really trust any more is something copied onto two hard drives. 50GB sounds like a lot, but when I go to back stuff up it'll seem more like a limitation.
  • Reply 30 of 122
    ulfoafulfoaf Posts: 175member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

LOL

Sometimes Jobs' cracks me up with his statements. I think Blu-ray is coming but I'd agree that this is likely just rudimentary support for cataloging BD discs.

That was a pointed barb at the Blu-Ray consortium! I believe I read that Blu-Ray licensing costs were significantly lowered since he made that statement. Maybe it worked!

Blu-Ray hasn't been breaking loose like DVD did. I guess they (Blu-Ray consortium) are trying to kickstart something.
  • Reply 31 of 122
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

How about providing a source on this claim? Or did you just make it up?

The truth is that Apple (unofficially) pushed the iPod Hi-Fi as "a replacement for your home Stereo" which it certainly could be at the time since the audio quality was equal or better than the average home stereo. Steve Jobs once said about it that "It’s really the home stereo reinvented ..." which kind of indicates the same thing. I can't find any info however, that he personally replaced his home equipment with it.

On the other hand, what if he did? Other than a few complaints from audiophiles (and what *don't* those guys complain about), there is no indication that the iPod Hi-Fi was of any worse quality than the average home stereo system, in fact it was a lot better than most.

The central claim being made by Apple at this time was simply that since your music was no longer on your CD's and was instead on your iPod and in iTunes, that having devices around the house to plug your iPod into (or in today's world that stream music from your iPod or iTunes library), was the "home stereo of future." Seems to me that all that is accurate and insightful stuff really.

You are the most biassed posters on here. The ipod HiFi was on of the worst products ever (a flop if ever there was one) built by Apple. Read the reviews without you Apple colored glasses on. It had a thuddy bass for one thing. Where is it now if it was so great? it was an overpriced piece of junk that doesn't even work with today's iPods.

As far as the quote goes- it's well documented. Look it up yourself.

ammended:

Here lazy:

"During the presentation, Jobs said he was using the Hi-Fi for a month and is going to ditch his expensive high-end audio systems (costing “a lot”) in favor of one of these—“they have phenomenal sound”, “they’re really really good” he says; more on that in the final paragraph of this post, where we’re jotting down a few notes."

UPDATED:

10:38am PT - "I'm an audiophile, and I'm getting rid of my stereo."

http://www.engadget.com/2006/02/28/l...-new-products/

See Kool-aid man -I Don't make things up.
  • Reply 32 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ulfoaf View Post

That was a pointed barb at the Blu-Ray consortium! I believe I read that Blu-Ray licensing costs were significantly lowered since he made that statement. Maybe it worked!

Blu-Ray hasn't been breaking loose like DVD did. I guess they (Blu-Ray consortium) are trying to kickstart something.

Yes though I was an HD DVD proponent I will openly admit that there is palpable frustration not just from Apple but also from smaller video producers that want to deliver HD content on Blu-ray. The license fee restructure was nice and more work needs to be done so that the needs of the smaller video producer are taken care of.

Though Apple shouldn't be smug about Blu-ray. iTunes is a rousing succes for music but Apple's done bupkiss to help the smaller indie producers who need to give their clients playable HD content and Apple's been suckling from the major distributor teet almost exclusively.
  • Reply 33 of 122
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

I pretty much agree and have little interest in Blu-ray. Totally satisfied with DVD quality. I'd be more interested in Blu-ray if they all came with an iTunes ready copy of the movie.

Is that (an iTunes copy of the movie) what this is really about? Or do people want to catalog their disks in iTunes ala Delicious Library? Or what?

I have a 22 inch monitor and the difference between a DVD and Blu-ray is quite noticeable. I'm perfectly fine with watching movies on DVD's though. That may change once I pony up the cash and buy an HDTV.

It is sad to see what the movie industry has done to us consumers though. You say you'd be more interested in Blu-ray if it came with an iTunes ready copy, and I agree I would as well. When you get a digital copy of a movie it feels like you have been given something extra, which is the furthest thing from the truth possible. They have just restricted you less. Why can't you just throw your DVD or Blu-ray into your computer and import and tag the movie like you do with music? The only reason they need to give you a digital copy is due to the fact that they prevented you from making your own copy. Why should we be grateful for that. Not only that, movies that come with a digital copy tend to cost more or the digital copy itself is a separate purchase. It's sad that the movie industry has so much control that they can take our money and we feel like we are being given a gift.

I've personally changed out the hard drive in my MBP for a larger one so I could put more movies on it for when I travel. After importing and tagging about 35 dvd's using handbrake and metaX I grew tired of the process and quit. It would be easier if you didn't have to jump around the protection, and if companies weren't sued if they allow dvd importing capabilities. The iTunes notes give me hope, but I'm not holding my breath. DRM does not work and needs to die, it only punishes paying customers.
  • Reply 34 of 122
    I think Apple is going to incorporate DVD & BlueRay playback functions into iTunes.

It plays CDs so why not DVDs & BlueRay discs?

Apple wants consumers to think "iTunes" when they think of entertainment...not DVD player or Windows Media Player.

It may also be that iTunes can steam the DVD or BlueRay to an AppleTV.

It will also be nice being able to use the iPhone Remote app to control playback.
  • Reply 35 of 122
    Quote:

I have over 100+ educational/edutainment DVDs ripped to my Mac courtesy of my local Public library. When the kids want to watch a video or movie they use the AppleTV and can pick from their library. No DVDs to scratch or the wrong disc in the wrong box. I also don't have to worry about what they are watching since I know what is in their library.
  • Reply 36 of 122
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

I think Apple is going to incorporate DVD & BlueRay playback functions into iTunes.

It plays CDs so why not DVDs & BlueRay discs?

Apple wants consumers to think "iTunes" when they think of entertainment...not DVD player or Windows Media Player.

It may also be that iTunes can steam the DVD or BlueRay to an AppleTV.

It will also be nice being able to use the iPhone Remote app to control playback.

They will need to improve their movie playback functionality in itunes. I've gone to the next movie when I was only trying to skip to the next scene far too often. I now use front row and never itunes for movie playback.
  • Reply 37 of 122
    gtl215gtl215 Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Though Apple shouldn't be smug about Blu-ray. iTunes is a rousing succes for music but Apple's done bupkiss to help the smaller indie producers who need to give their clients playable HD content and Apple's been suckling from the major distributor teet almost exclusively.

the movie industry is much less willing to give Apple what it wants, after watching them come to rule the music industry. They're treading much more carefully with movies than with music. Apple couldn't care less what is offered on iTunes - in other words, they're more than willing to go DRM-free and provide ripping capabilities. It's the studios who restrict such features. Apple makes a relatively small amount of money from iTunes content....they make their money from iPods, iPhones, Macs, and, hopefully one day, lots of AppleTVs.
  • Reply 38 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

I have over 100+ educational/edutainment DVDs ripped to my Mac courtesy of my local Public library. When the kids want to watch a video or movie they use the AppleTV and can pick from their library. No DVDs to scratch or the wrong disc in the wrong box. I also don't have to worry about what they are watching since I know what is in their library.

+1

I'm going to buy and rip some Leapfrog learning library stuff for my son and keep it simple so he can find them whenever he wants. Frankly the industry wanting everything on a disc that's locked down is a noble effort to impede natural evolution and control DRM but is quickly growing out of vogue in what is becoming a very well connected global scheme.
  • Reply 39 of 122
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

You are the most biassed poster on here. The ipod HiFi was on of the worst products ever built by Apple. Read the reviews without you Apple colored glasses on. It had a thuddy bass. Where is it now if it was so great? it was an overpriced piece of junk that doesn't even work with today's iPods.

As far as the quote goes- it's well documented. Look it up yourself.

ammended:

Here lazy bones:

"During the presentation, Jobs said he was using the Hi-Fi for a month and is going to ditch his expensive high-end audio systems (costing ?a lot?) in favor of one of these??they have phenomenal sound?, ?they?re really really good? he says; more on that in the final paragraph of this post, where we?re jotting down a few notes."

I don't know why I'm surprised at this angry petulant response, but thanks for the reference anyway.

If you have the time to go back and actually read what I said, you will find that I never said the iPod Hi-Fi was "great" or anything of the sort. What I said was the quality of sound it produced was equal to, or better than, the typical home stereo of the time, which it most certainly was.

Products fail for many reasons and the iPod Hi-Fi had many things wrong with it from a design point of view. However, the fact that the audio quality was what I said it was, and that Apple and Jobs' marketing position (that this device could "replace your home stereo"), were reasonable and accurate statements are unassailably, ... true.
  • Reply 40 of 122
    gtl215gtl215 Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

After importing and tagging about 35 dvd's using handbrake and metaX I grew tired of the process and quit.

I'm doing the same thing and I'm up to about 50 movies. It's a daunting task, esp with my *lowly* 1.83ghz MB lol...we'll see how much more I feel like doing this.