iTunes 8.2 beta hints at support of Gracenote's video platform

Comments

• Reply 81 of 122
    gimpymwgimpymw Posts: 45member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTL215 View Post

somewhat off-topic, but not totally...I've never seen a Blu-ray movie played on a computer, but I just can't imagine it being so much better than a standard DVD. So many people complain about Apple's lack of Blu-ray support (esp in their notebooks). However, people who have Blu-ray right now are clearly videophiles who probably don't do the majority of their movie-watching on computers. So then, what's the big deal? I wouldn't be surprised if Apple NEVER adopts blu-ray as a standard feature. By the time it becomes mainstream enough, DVD sales will be dropping off considerably more than they already are. Online distribution is clearly the future.

You are correct. The resolution available on bluray discs and 1080p tv doesn't really come in to play unless you're talking about TV screens larger than 50 inches. Or, unless you're sitting with you're face two feet away from the screen surface.
  • Reply 82 of 122
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by uni View Post

Not true. Blu-ray data discs are read by the Finder and can be written to with Toast.

Toast requires an optional plug-in at an extra expense, or the cost of their new pro version.
  • Reply 83 of 122
    Quote:

Well, hotshot (your new name, BTW), maybe he's not talking about stand-alone receivers and speakers. Maybe he's talking about a similar device to Hi-Fi?

No, he is not, dipshit, which can be your new name. A home stereo is not an iPod Speaker system.
  • Reply 84 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Virgil-TB2 makes up stuff while guzzling that kool-aid cocktail. He speaks utter nonsense. Where is his source?

GTL215 isn't far behind either. He talks purely out of his ass as well.
  • Reply 85 of 122
    gtl215gtl215 Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Its not exactly flying off store shelves either.

Apple wants you to rent and buy your content from the store on a regular basis, which is how they will continue to make their money with the AppleTV.

If they didn't care where you got your content, it wouldn't be locked down to iTunes only, it would allow you to stream TV broadcasts from the other content providers.

Define "flying off the shelves." Sales have tripled for AppleTV, which I would consider successful growth for a nascent product ("hobby") category -

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...nvestment.html

Secondly, I refuse to believe Apple is counting on content sales to drive revenue and profit. They make FAR more money selling hardware than content - a fact which will not change anytime soon.

Thirdly, hotshot, ever think the movie studios have more "pull" with Apple than Boxee?? Maybe that's why everything is "locked" to iTunes only.
  • Reply 86 of 122
    Quote:

GTL215 isn't far behind either. He talks purely out of his ass as well.

hah, i may be a "kool-aid drinker" from time to time, but you're the one railing against the eventual migration towards all-digital media storage (ie, we're all too lazy to get up and change the DVD player). I'd consider that some ass-talking right there.
  • Reply 87 of 122
    Quote:

STFU

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/rev...ystem-for-ipod

"it is a simple but undeniably powerful audio source, designed primarily as a substitute for the separate speakers and amplifier of a 2.1-channel home stereo system, rather than as a boombox or table radio"

Why don't you read the rest of the article:

"Because of its comparatively high price, staid design, and underwhelming treble response, it's hard to recommend to typical iPod users over Altec's inMotion iM7, Bose's SoundDock, or JBL's On Time for most of their listening purposes. Even Klipsch's iFi has recently fallen in price to as little as $200, making it a comparatively aggressive alternative to iPod Hi-Fi."
  • Reply 88 of 122
    Quote:

Define "flying off the shelves." Sales have tripled for AppleTV, which I would consider successful growth for a nascent product ("hobby") category -

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...nvestment.html

Secondly, I refuse to believe Apple is counting on content sales to drive revenue and profit. They make FAR more money selling hardware than content - a fact which will not change anytime soon.

Thirdly, hotshot, ever think the movie studios have more "pull" with Apple than Boxee?? Maybe that's why everything is "locked" to iTunes only.

You are quoting AppleInsider? Yeah, nice reliable source. They have nothing to back up their stories, except for their so-called anonymous sources.

Look what happened when people hacked the AppleTV to show Boxee content. Apple quickly put a stop to that one.
  • Reply 89 of 122
    Quote:

You are quoting AppleInsider? Yeah, nice reliable source. They have nothing to back up their stories, except for their so-called anonymous sources.

Look what happened when people hacked the AppleTV to show Boxee content. Apple quickly put a stop to that one.

That AI article was qutoing Tim Cook from their January earnings call. Would you prefer I found another link which referenced Tim Cook, just in case AppleInsider got the quote wrong?

Again, the TV/Movie studios have a huge interest in keeping Boxee off products like ATV, and most likely have clauses which allows them to pull their content from iTunes if there is a breach.
  • Reply 90 of 122
    Quote:

Why don't you read the rest of the article:

"Because of its comparatively high price, staid design, and underwhelming treble response, it's hard to recommend to typical iPod users over Altec's inMotion iM7, Bose's SoundDock, or JBL's On Time for most of their listening purposes. Even Klipsch's iFi has recently fallen in price to as little as $200, making it a comparatively aggressive alternative to iPod Hi-Fi."

I never said it was a great product or worth buying. You simply wouldn't shut up about demanding a source which claimed the Hi-Fi was meant to replace a typical home stereo.
  • Reply 91 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

How about providing a source on this claim? Or did you just make it up?

The truth is that Apple (unofficially) pushed the iPod Hi-Fi as "a replacement for your home Stereo" which it certainly could be at the time since the audio quality was equal or better than the average home stereo. Steve Jobs once said about it that "It?s really the home stereo reinvented ..." which kind of indicates the same thing. I can't find any info however, that he personally replaced his home equipment with it.

On the other hand, what if he did? Other than a few complaints from audiophiles (and what *don't* those guys complain about), there is no indication that the iPod Hi-Fi was of any worse quality than the average home stereo system, in fact it was a lot better than most.

The central claim being made by Apple at this time was simply that since your music was no longer on your CD's and was instead on your iPod and in iTunes, that having devices around the house to plug your iPod into (or in today's world that stream music from your iPod or iTunes library), was the "home stereo of future." Seems to me that all that is accurate and insightful stuff really.

I have an iPod Hi-Fi and it sounds better than 2 Bose systems and almost as good as a B&O with McIntosh speakers. The iPod HiFi has one advantage over all 3 -- it can be used as an iPod Boom Box. And, yes it does work with the iPhone!
  • Reply 92 of 122
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

Bogus statictics -"Tripled" means nothing unless you state from what. From 100 to 300? 10 to 30? Get real- seriously -are you that dense?
  • Reply 93 of 122
    Quote:

I never said it was a great product or worth buying. You simply wouldn't shut up about demanding a source which claimed the Hi-Fi was meant to replace a typical home stereo.

Steve Jobs himself said that- Didn't you read my post and source?
  • Reply 94 of 122
    Quote:

Bogus statictics -"Tripled" means nothing unless you state from what. From 100 to 300? 10 to 30? Get real- seriously -are you that dense?

No, teckstud, you're the dense one. Anybody with a basic knowledge of analyzing financial performance would much rather see percentage growth year-over-year than simply look at dollar amounts. "But, wait - Microsoft made more dollars in profit than Apple did this quarter, so why is everyone saying they had a bad quarter??" Ummm, because their GROWTH was negative, while Apple had a record quarter.

Go back to swapping infected hard drives at the GeekSquad desk, and leave the financial analysis to the big boys.
  • Reply 95 of 122
    Quote:

No, teckstud, you're the dense one. Anybody with a basic knowledge of analyzing financial performance would much rather see percentage growth year-over-year than simply look at dollar amounts. "But, wait - Microsoft made more dollars in profit than Apple did this quarter, so why is everyone saying they had a bad quarter??" Ummm, because their GROWTH was negative, while Apple had a record quarter.

Go back to swapping infected hard drives at the GeekSquad desk, and leave the financial analysis to the big boys.

At least blu-ray is actusl.ly backing up their claims with numbers. You refuse to look at actual blu-ray figure$ for 2009 yet take 3 times percentage growth for ATV as actaully meaning something is a hit? And now your bringing Microsoft into this- WTF? You're pathetic. A percentage of what? You are totally Klueless which goes along with your stupid Kool-aid mantra.

As Donald Trump would say- "You're fired."
  • Reply 96 of 122
    Quote:

At least blu-ray is actusl.ly backing up their claims with numbers. You refuse to look at actual blu-ray figure$ for 2009 yet take 3 times percentage growth for ATV as actaully meaning something is a hit? And now your bringing Microsoft into this- WTF? You're pathetic. A percentage of what? You are totally Klueless which goes along with your stupid Kool-aid mantra.

As Donald Trump would say- "You're fired."

So much to address based on such a short, meaningless post.

a) who is talking about bluray? You said the AppleTV wasn't selling ("not exactly flying off the store shelves"), i said it has sold 300% more this year than last year, which i called "sucessfull, for a nascent hobby category." Did you confuse that for me calling it a "hit"? I'm sorry your reading comprehension isn't up to par for a web forum.

b) i'm not "bringing" microsoft into this as a point of argument. It was clearly an analogy to why pure dollars is less important than growth percentage; which leads me to (c):

c) you clearly know nothing about anything financial, so stick to the sidelines when such topics come up.
  • Reply 97 of 122
    Its just a generic Copyright disclaimer from Gracenote nothing to do with Apple supporting it. They might however have some kind of ripping of DVD's.
  • Reply 98 of 122
    Quote:

So much to address based on such a short, meaningless post.

a) who is talking about bluray? You said the AppleTV wasn't selling ("not exactly flying off the store shelves"), i said it has sold 300% more this year than last year, which i called "sucessfull, for a nascent hobby category." Did you confuse that for me calling it a "hit"? I'm sorry your reading comprehension isn't up to par for a web forum.

b) i'm not "bringing" microsoft into this as a point of argument. It was clearly an analogy to why pure dollars is less important than growth percentage; which leads me to (c):

c) you clearly know nothing about anything financial, so stick to the sidelines when such topics come up.

I never said the ApplTV wasn't selling?? I said 3 times percentage increase means nothing without a base comparison. You obviously do not know finance or much anything else- so stop spewing nonsensical statements. Therefore you are not only a liar but also don't know what you are talking about finacial or otherwise - especially as related to the iPod HIFi.
  • Reply 99 of 122
    Quote:

I never said the ApplTV wasn't selling?? I said 3 times percentage increase means nothing without a base comparison. You obviously do not know finance or much anything else- so stop spewing nonsensical statements. Therefore you are not only a liar but also don't know what you are talking about finacial or otherwise - especially as related to the iPod HIFi.

you're right, it was Hotshot who said they weren't flying off the shelves, so for that i apologize. You still don't know what you're talking about when it comes to finance, and I'll bet my CFA license that i'm correct.
  • Reply 100 of 122
    jb510jb510 Posts: 129member
    DVD cataloging isn't really exciting... neither is BR support. I'd expect both sooner or later anyway.

What would be exciting is if iTunes had built in MP3 tag correction and identification...