Inside Steve Jobs' abandoned Jackling mansion (photos)

Comments

• Reply 41 of 210
    johnnykrzjohnnykrz Posts: 152member
    I agree that he should be able to tear it down and it looks like it probably needs to be (even though it is creepily cool). What I don't understand, however, is why he ever bought the house in the first place? Was there no property nearby or houses that he actually liked?
  • Reply 42 of 210
    istinkistink Posts: 250member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

I hope that movie wasn't a rental.

well played sir
  • Reply 43 of 210
    Mold everywhere. And mold is linked to all sorts of diseases. Best thing he could do is to hire an environmental health company and make sure he avoids mold and mites and chemicals, considering his health.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpellino View Post

Alan Kay will take that pipe organ (I believe that's still his only professional affiliation).

There are plenty of people who would and could rehab that place. Steve just isn't one of them.

As for Plan B, good luck disassembling and reassembling a stucco / plaster house. I've lived in two. Close the door too hard and things fall off them.

• Reply 44 of 210
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Just makes you love the local government even more!
  • Reply 45 of 210
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mav5 View Post

If it were up to me, I'd restore it, but not for the purpose of preserving its history. I just think it's an awesome house!

I fully agree. But if he wants to throw it down, I wouldn't care. It doesn't look THAT important. Still, looks very cool! Reminds me of the house in Sunset Blvd. (the 1950's movie) for some reason.
  • Reply 46 of 210
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A couple of years ago, photographer Jonathan Haeber stumbled upon the Jackling house to find its property gate ajar and the doors and broken windows to the house wide open.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight ...
  • Reply 47 of 210
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by helmsb View Post

Not EVEN remotely the same thing. We are talking about private property that he rightly paid for. If they want to preserve it they should buy it from Jobs. Then they can do what ever they want with it.

I think the person was just humorously and delicately pointing out that your premise was faulty.

You don't, nor did you ever, have the right to "do what you want with your own property" in the USA or any other modern/western country that I ever heard of.

For a brief period of it's history, and in the "Wild West" only, *some* Americans had these kinds of rights over their land. However, this was engendered by the rather unusual situation of having a whole continent to rape and pillage and a desire to bend the established laws so as to encourage people to occupy that land.

Most of the time, there is no "right to property" or a "right to do what you want" with your own property. It just doesn't exist.
  • Reply 48 of 210
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

I just love these people who think it is there mission to tell you what you can and can not do with your property. Another example of others dictating what they think is important. It is his damn property let him do with it as he likes

Then you would have no objection to the guy next door to you raising pigs or dumping toxic waste in his back yard?

After all, it's his property, right?
  • Reply 49 of 210
    webfrassewebfrasse Posts: 147member
    13 or 8 million...that's like me deciding between a small or large coffee. Lame and cheap. The guy has billions...

/Mikael
  • Reply 50 of 210
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Then you would have no objection to the guy next door to you raising pigs or dumping toxic waste in his back yard?

After all, it's his property, right?

I'm pretty sure dumping toxic waste is against the law. Raising pigs would probably depend on the zoning.
  • Reply 51 of 210
    buzdotsbuzdots Posts: 452member
    As queazy as those Californians are, he should just hollar "Black Mold" - that will get the SOB torn down!

And who knows, he might get TARP funds to do it with!
  • Reply 52 of 210
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pixelcruncher View Post

Like Apple telling you not to jailbreak your iPhone?

That's screwed up dude!
  • Reply 53 of 210
    takeotakeo Posts: 446member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

Yah, and while we are at it, we should be able to put our parents down when they get too old.

Agreed.
  • Reply 54 of 210
    1. The house is NOT on the National Registry of Historic Places, (Even if it were, that does not give it protected status)

2. The house is not famous because of the previous owner, it is famous because the architect is "notable" in that area, the design is "Spanish Revival" built in 1925, they claim the style defines the area even though the adjacent buildings are English Tudor, Post Modern, and Greek Revival.

3. Jobs went through the proper channels obtaining a demolition permit, so zoning has already been approved for removal.

4. There have been "offers" to move the building, but none of them were serious, one instance wanted Jobs to provide 15 million of the cost to move it (while the person moving it pays 1 million), another wanted him to guarantee financing to move it. They claim he can declare it on his taxes....so what, that doesn't mean he recoups all the cost.

5. The building, if restored woud have to meet the new California energy laws and other building codes that are in place, including upgrading ALL of the structure to meet the current earthquake codes. This is a 17,000 square foot building. No one has put a number on that yet.
  • Reply 55 of 210
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

I'm pretty sure dumping toxic waste is against the law. Raising pigs would probably depend on the zoning.

My point is, "so what"? It's the guy next door's property. Why would/should Maestro be concerned?
  • Reply 56 of 210
    buzdotsbuzdots Posts: 452member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

I think the person was just humorously and delicately pointing out that your premise was faulty.

You don't, nor did you ever, have the right to "do what you want with your own property" in the USA or any other modern/western country that I ever heard of.

For a brief period of it's history, and in the "Wild West" only, *some* Americans had these kinds of rights over their land. However, this was engendered by the rather unusual situation of having a whole continent to rape and pillage and a desire to bend the established laws so as to encourage people to occupy that land.

Most of the time, there is no "right to property" or a "right to do what you want" with your own property. It just doesn't exist.

And you live where?

There are plenty of places in the USA that you can do any damn thing you want with your land except create a nuclear waste dump. And I am sure all you need to do to obtain that is grease the right palms.
  • Reply 57 of 210
    andyappleandyapple Posts: 152member
    Don't most historic preservation rules apply only to the exterior of buildings? In which case there would be little justification for preserving what really looks, from the outside, like a cheap motel. IMNSHO.

Ironically, were Jobs allowed to replace that white elephant with the house of his dreams, Woodside would likely end up with an architectural/environmental marvel. But nooooo...
  • Reply 58 of 210
    ouraganouragan Posts: 437member
    Great home for a film.

The problem with Jobs, one of the many problems, is that Jobs is so used to get his way at Apple or with the S.E.C. that he believes that he can do as he pleases.

If you buy a historic mansion, you have to pay for the upkeep, maintenance and repairs. And if you don't want to do so, don't buy it!

• Reply 59 of 210
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

Right. Tearing down an old house equates forced euthanasia.

That house might be alive now.
  • Reply 60 of 210
    I'm sorry, but... why do we care about this? Can we cover actual Apple related news?