Inside Steve Jobs' abandoned Jackling mansion (photos)

Comments

• Reply 81 of 210
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

Yeah, but the Calif. statute of limitations for this violation has since passed.

K

I love how you guys cleared the EXIF data on the photos....
  • Reply 82 of 210
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Ahem, I think, actually, he was accusing all of us here at AI of that!

Aah, Bach!

Perhaps I was a bit too fast in posting???
  • Reply 83 of 210
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    This was discussed the last time Job's house made news, but I have not seen anything lately. Apparently this house has been added on to several times. It is currently nothing like the architect intended and the additions destroyed the original architectural features. To bring the house back to the way it originally was is impossible because so much was destroyed during the expansion.
  • Reply 84 of 210
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

there are home owners associations that limit your choices of exterior style and or color and mandate lawn care etc -

I've never had to deal with a home owners association (I'm not even sure we have them around here, if we do, they are not common), but I've always wondered how it is that they would have any power to tell me what I can do with my property. Why does anyone put up with that? If ever there was a recipe for violence, it's nosy neighbors telling each other what color they can paint their garage, or dictating if they can even have a garage.
  • Reply 85 of 210
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

I hope that movie wasn't a rental.

That's great.. "brevity is the soul of wit"

Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

Posts like this that have no relevance on Apple as a company, its products, or rumors, prove to me yet again one thing:

Around here, Jobs is a god.

Better get used to it if you're gonna continue following this site. And although I agree, it's just the way it is in here. And to be honest, if AI didn't post multiple topics each day, they would likely lose many readers. Gotta keep them coming back.
  • Reply 86 of 210
    I'm usually a conservationist with old buildings. Apple, in particular, has irritated me with their requests to deface old buildings in historic town centers in several cities, to build stores.

But this building just isn't a very good design. It does not have good proportions or especially interesting moldings and so forth. I really don't see the point in fighting to preserve it. It looks mediocre to me, at best. And given the size it's probably an energy hog as well.
  • Reply 87 of 210
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

I've never had to deal with a home owners association (I'm not even sure we have them around here, if we do, they are not common), but I've always wondered how it is that they would have any power to tell me what I can do with my property. Why does anyone put up with that? If ever there was a recipe for violence, it's nosy neighbors telling each other what color they can paint their garage, or dictating if they can even have a garage.

Very often, zoning and home owners association (IMO, zoning boards by another name and structure), do go too far. But there does need to be some limits so they don't have a neighbor drop in, paint the house in a rainbow of fluorescent colors, and have several derelict autos on cinderblocks driving down the property values of everything around it. It may seem silly, but every neighborhood seems to get someone that wants to be like that. Obviously the tendency is to go too far in undesirable ways, but any place you get any kind of population density, no regulation can also be an undesirable extreme if you care about not looking at eyesores or getting money back out of your house.
  • Reply 88 of 210
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Very often, zoning and home owners association (IMO, zoning boards by another name and structure), do go too far. But there does need to be some limits so they don't have a neighbor drop in, paint the house in a rainbow of fluorescent colors, and have several derelict autos on cinderblocks driving down the property values of everything around it. Obviously the tendency is to go too far in undesirable ways, but any place you get any kind of population density, no regulation can also be an undesirable extreme if you care about not looking at eyesores or getting money back out of your house.

I don't think we are talking about the same thing. Municipalities having certain zoning bylaws is one thing, but the things I've read about these homeowners associations goes far beyond that, and is a full extra layer of arbitrary regulation. Stuff like specific color or style dictations, rules about christmas ornaments, whether you can have a garden or not, etc. All things that are nobody's business.

How do they have any authority beyond what the municipality already has in their by-laws?
  • Reply 89 of 210
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:

I don't think we are talking about the same thing. Municipalities having certain zoning bylaws is one thing, but the things I've read about these homeowners associations goes far beyond that, and is a full extra layer of arbitrary regulation. Stuff like specific color or style dictations, rules about christmas ornaments, whether you can have a garden or not, etc. All things that are nobody's business.

How do they have any authority beyond what the municipality already has in their by-laws?

Well, to be fair, you have the choice to move into a place with a homeowners association or not to. If you buy a place that is governed by an association without looking into the rules first, then you are a fool. For some people uniformity, or at least conformity, are worth the limitations... Obviously, some people must prize living with those restrictions or else they would cease to exist.
  • Reply 90 of 210
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Oh, and back to the issue of Jobs' mansion. For the most part, I agree that if he has the local government's permission to tear it down, after getting all the permits and such, he should be able to do so.

The only thing I have not heard for sure is if there was any understanding that it was a historical property when he bought it. Was it cheaper because it had been assumed that the "property rights" would be restricted? I don't know if anyone knows what SJ paid for it and I have little hope that anyone (here) knows if that was market value but it does seem pertenant.

and for my $.02: Great photos. It seems a shame that such a cool place should come to such an ignoble end...
  • Reply 91 of 210
    Has it occurred to anyone that if SJ is willing to plow the $8.5 million to knock it down and rebuild, then he must have confidence in his personal health.
  • Reply 92 of 210
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lafe View Post

About the photos of the house, wouldn't the wandering photographer be guilty of

breaking and entering?

To be charged with Breaking & Entering, there has to be some actual "breaking." Merely walking into an open house is trespass, but not B&E. If, as the photog claims, the doors were "wide open," then The Steve would have to sue him for trespass. No criminal act has been committed.
  • Reply 93 of 210
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

So what's your point?

Where's the Woz threads- the other co-founder of Apple? Where was the support for him in Dancing With the Stars?

Poor Woz - no love from AppleInsider.
  • Reply 94 of 210
    lungalunga Posts: 23member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chuckmoser View Post

Hey, isn't that the house Schwarzenegger raided to save his daughter in Commando?

At least it comes with built-in house plants and creepy pipe organ.

I was thinking Robin's nest.
  • Reply 95 of 210
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Where's the Woz threads- the other co-founder of Apple? Where was the support for him in Dancing With the Stars?

He seems to fallen out of favor here, it seems in part for voicing opinions that run counter to Apple's business and marketing decisions.
  • Reply 96 of 210
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:

Anyone who buys a property in the neighborhood agrees to the restrictions. The regulations

are a part of the deed on the property.
  • Reply 97 of 210
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

I just love these people who think it is there mission to tell you what you can and can not do with your property. Another example of others dictating what they think is important. It is his damn property let him do with it as he likes, who cares it represents how someone built a house almost 100 yrs ago. If those people wanted to save it they should have bought it.

You hit the nail on the head. But remember, this is California. What would you expect. My worry is that this type of government intervention will flow through the rest of the country.
  • Reply 98 of 210
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Anyone who buys a property in the neighborhood agrees to the restrictions. The regulations are a part of the deed on the property.

Something he touched on though, is wondering how such an association starts. In some ways, setting one up like that sounds like signing a commune contract, but somehow doesn't have the same stigma.

Oddly, I've heard that many of the suburbs around the big cities in Texas are overrun with them, you almost have to settle for being in one to live anywhere near the city and finding one that isn't too bitchy is a chore.
  • Reply 99 of 210
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Yeah, Woz' up with that? ;-)
  • Reply 100 of 210
    They should disassemble the mansion and reassemble it on top of a sky scraper!