Microsoft ups cash limit, takes aim at MacBook Pros in new ad

Comments

• Reply 161 of 505
    gsxrikalgsxrikal Posts: 1member
    I've known the PC are for decades... 25 years of hard work configuring systems to do this, or that... 25 years i've worked on MS-DOS, Windows, Win9x, Win2K, WinME, WinXP etc...

I bought my Macbook Pro 2 years ago. It was a dare for me to prove (mainly myself) that a Mac would fail at even the most basic tasks i had devised for it. Boy was i wrong...

Not only did this little endeavour cost me a new computer but i also got rid of my OLD COMPAQ LAPTOP, a beefy, bulky laptop with tons (supposedly) of power.

Today, i run Macs... nothing but Macs... At the office, everyone around me wonder how i can work with a Mac in this Windows environment. Recently, my director (and friend) asked me howcome i never complained about computer freezing anymore... I said: "I switched to Mac"

You should have looked at his face.

Micro$loth forgets in their ad campain that Useability is worth more than the actual computer. Vista does not come close to OSX for useability...

Yes it's cheaper to buy a PC... but how much time do you spend trying to get it to work compared to a Mac and how much is that time worth?

-----------

GSXRikal
  • Reply 162 of 505
    hucomhucom Posts: 13member
    If she's a serious video artist, what the heck is she going to do with a PC??

If you are a pro, and you want to be taken seriously, there's no way around Final Cut Studio. If she was real, and not some Microsoft fabricated bs story, she wouldn't even blink at a PC... trust me. Just look what's happening out there in the movie industry. In other words: she's ruining her career before it started.
  • Reply 163 of 505
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hucom View Post

If she's a serious video artist, what the heck is she going to do with a PC??

If you are a pro, and you want to be taken seriously, there's no way around Final Cut Studio. If she was real, and not some Microsoft fabricated bs story, she wouldn't even blink at a PC... trust me. Just look what's happening out there in the movie industry. In other words: she's ruining her career before it started.

Have you ever heard of Avid, Einstein?

Despite what you wannabe "filmmakers" think, it's still the standard.
  • Reply 164 of 505
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bespeak View Post

My wife has an HP laptop, and none of the things you list apply to it in the slightest. Software set-up took a couple of minutes, Norton AV was included, it prints over my Airport Extreme network without any issues. Unfortunately it runs Windows, so I'll stick to my iMac thank you very much, but she's very happy.

hey hey i only state what i hear and see . i am happy for you and any one who has a great time using any computer . the fact that apple makes the machine and the software makes for a better computer . as opposed to windows bloated virus attacked software being put on one of a dozen or 2 different machines all fighting each other for the lowest possible priced machine to bring to market . NOT ALL WINTEL MACHINES ARE SHODDY made .. but my dear mac friend many many are !

it is a world of lowest common denominator . no offence intended

peace
  • Reply 165 of 505
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

Being that MBPs are so expensive and students arent flush with cash, I would assume, they would ask the PC user for a loan to buy a display port to HDMI dongle for video monitoring.

You will be surprised how many students use MacBooks. Other than the loaner Dell laptops out university library give to students, the most popular laptop brand is Apple. Every student in our university can get MS Office (Mac or Windows), MS Windows upgrade (Vista or XP), McAfee (Mac and Windows), and punch of other software all for free. Apple computers hold their value better than other brand (check ebay).
  • Reply 166 of 505
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Thank you for validating my point as to why BRDs are not possible or viable in Mac notebooks.

Then why do the Sony Vaio 11 inch TT series that is 0.9 " thick have them?
  • Reply 167 of 505
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

lord of the rings was made on what ???
  • Reply 168 of 505
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

So yeah... I dunno. Remember, Macs and PCs use the exact same internals! Is your Apple really worth 700 dollars more? To me it isn't. $700 for a label and a sexy case. Keep in mind, I won't buy an HP either. If I were to buy a real laptop: Lenovo. Those are some durable machines!

This myth that Apple Macs and PC's have "the same internals" is often cited on these forums, but imo could not be further from the truth. Please provide evidence that there is no difference between "the internals" before stating it as evidence for your case.
  • Reply 169 of 505
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

True but mostly from a legacy position. I don't know of a single post house that doesn't fully support FCP. Sort of like how Scitex workstations were the standard in DTP in the 90s. Same thing that happened to Scitex will happen to Avid. You see these legacy standards dropping all the time. Solaris used to be the king of the internet, not anymore. I'm hoping the next giant to hit the dirt will be MS.
  • Reply 170 of 505
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iBill View Post

This myth that Apple Macs and PC's have "the same internals" is often cited on these forums, but imo could not be further from the truth. Please provide evidence that there is no difference between "the internals" before stating it as evidence for your case.

Can you provide evidence that there is?

Besides that chip in the MacBook Air what is manufactured specifically for Apple internals only?
  • Reply 171 of 505
    foxyfoxy Posts: 29member
    That girl is ugly. And what kind of film maker is that? I know no filmmaker that use an HP laptop to edit movies.
  • Reply 172 of 505
    cincyteecincytee Posts: 404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadisawesome View Post

Saying, "we are more expensive, but we are better" isn't a good commercial to air at this time.

How 'bout, "We're better *and* we're not really more expensive. Here's what they're not telling you...."?
  • Reply 173 of 505
    gmcalpingmcalpin Posts: 266member
    You people make the baby Jesus cry. Be nicer to each other, for fuck's sake.
  • Reply 174 of 505
    roehlstationroehlstation Posts: 640member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iBill View Post

I think I've tried squashing this numerous times on these forums. Apple designs their boards specifically for their notebooks, Intel Makes them, HP, Toshiba and others use numerous standard off the shelf boards from makers like Asus, Gigabyte....so forth.

To this day I've still had fewer issues installing Windows on a MacBook than any other PC notebook. the drivers are so much better.
  • Reply 175 of 505
    foxyfoxy Posts: 29member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I'm hoping the next giant to hit the dirt will be MS.

The next big giant would be Linux, with it's unbreakable philosophy.
  • Reply 176 of 505
    cincyteecincytee Posts: 404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Another ugly commercial with a hopelessly unattractive, white bread, Wal Mart-bait "actress."

Oh, puh-lease. I don't even know who should be more offended by this: Windows users, who should be more attractive? MacOS users, who should be more attractive? Less than model-hot computer users in general, who don't deserve to seek a quality computing experience? The only aesthetics that matter here are those of the machines and the commercials' irritating imitation home-video shooting style. (What?! This is really a big-budget campaign?! I had no idea!)
  • Reply 177 of 505
    rptrpt Posts: 175member
    How is the screen on the HP in the commercial?

I have a HP Compaq nc6400 and a HP Elitebook 2530p. The screens on these are horrible compared to my Macbook Pro and does not belong on expensive laptops like my 2 HPs. And the Elitebook is 450 USD more expensive than a Macbook which outperforms it in all aspects but weight where the difference is insignificant after also accounting for the 6 cell battery not accounted for weight or sizewise in the HP specsheet, not to mention the brick of a poweradaptor than comes with the HPs.The Elitebook also have a volume that is 20% larger than the Macbook after accounting for the added dimensions due to the protruding battery and the fact that it is significantly thicker than specified, great achievement when its crappy screen is 2 inches smaller than the Macbook!

I have never seen a good screen on a HP laptop, but I havent seen them all.
  • Reply 178 of 505
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Hey Wilco Scorcese, Avid may still be the standard but no filmmaker, wannabe or pro, would be that blasé about what machine they got without considering the software. I am not sure Avid is the standard among filmmakers like her. Bottom line, though, as always this is an ad dealing with 'perception', not reality. Filmmakers and wannabe filmmaker will see right through it but the ad is not directed at them.
  • Reply 179 of 505
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

She says, "Oh look. Is this graphics card going to be powerful?"

The highly skilled, trained "PC Genius" replies, "mm hmm". LOL!

Apple should create a counter ad by "revisiting" these people after 100 days and, like some of those that voted for Obama, some of these PC laptop hunters, I bet will say, "it's not what I thought I were getting!"

Um, he received 53% of the vote and his approval rating is well over 60%. If there are a few people who think "This isn't what I thought I was getting" - then there are a ton of people who didn't vote for Obama and are very satisfied with what they are getting. I don't see any relevance to your Obama reference other than trying to stoke the flames. You also manage to sound like an idiot.

Our former President on the other hand, had an approval rating leaving office at almost half of the percentage of the vote that he received in either 2000 or 2004.
  • Reply 180 of 505
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    I wonder...were these latest Microsoft ads made on PCs or Macs?