FTC investigating antitrust ties between Apple, Google

Comments

• Reply 21 of 65
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Two companies can work together. Wish government just stop with these BS investigations. Investigate Bush's war crimes.

Aggg.
  • Reply 22 of 65
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,606member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHKOsta View Post

I'm mostly in agreement with you, however...

It would work on T-Mobile, but the iPhone's antenna configuration is such that It couldn't take advantage of their WCDMA 1700 solution for metro data traffic. I have a feeling that if the phone was unlocked in the US, people would quickly realize how "not-so-bad" AT&T's service is.

And if Apple produced a CDMA iPhone as well, heat and battery life would become almost unbearable issues. People keep whining about wanting an iPhone on Verizon, but they don't understand how much the quality of the experience would lessen on a CDMA model.

It's not the fault of Apple that T-Mobil chose this weird frequency. It had nothing to do with the iPhone's antenna.
  • Reply 23 of 65
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Why do people act as though AT&T has outrageously high data prices. Take a look at Verizon.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by georgetang View Post

And by opening, AT&T would actually lower their rate...

• Reply 24 of 65
    How is that Apple's fault?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It's the fault of Apple that T-Mobiley chose this weird frequency. It had nothing to do with the iPhone's antenna.

• Reply 25 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

How is that Apple's fault?

Hey! It's late. What do you expect?

I'll change it to what it should have said.
  • Reply 26 of 65
    sipadansipadan Posts: 107member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don't exactly agree with many of France's consumer laws, but what are the details of the win. I was under the impression that the iPhone cost with other carriers is prohibitively expensive which pretty much makes the option pointless unless you want to fork out a lot for an unsubsidized, unlocked iPhone.

And you are absolutely correct. Although it does look like a huge win for the consumer, it's only smoke. New carriers' iPhone prices are aligned with Orange, hence there's no real competition whatsoever. French Phone and utilities cos. are notorious for illegal commercial talks to keep prices highest possible and not compete. Most of them have been fined several times, and still it goes on, for the penalties are minimal compared to the yields of such practices... So there for the BIG consumer win in France.

A paper win only good for gloating...
  • Reply 27 of 65
    I'm in California right now, what're you still doing up this late,

Quote:

Hey! It's late. What do you expect?

I'll change it to what it should have said.

• Reply 28 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I'm in California right now, what're you still doing up this late,

Even when I was still working I stayed up late. 4 hours of solid sleep is enough.

Ever since I retired over four years ago, I've been staying up even later.

But 4:00 am is enough. I'm going to bed shortly.
  • Reply 29 of 65
    Quote:

It's crazy! On top of that, it's never people from countries that are all GSM that are complaining about these exclusivity contracts, only AT&T, where the iPhone 3G still wouldn't work on Sprint, Verizon or T-Mobile.

The operators here in Finland offer exclusive contracts for phones, i.e. "Get a Nokia xxx for xx Euros a month for xx months", but the difference here is that if a person goes for this and decided to pay out the contract sooner than the xx months, the operators will unlock the phones. Some people do this if they want to purchase a phone but do not want pay all the money up front. Exclusive deals are not new, I think it is just the terms of the AT&T (voted crappiest network in the entire known and unknown galaxy), and Apple.
  • Reply 30 of 65
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:

But obviously Apple has reasons for the exclusivity. Reasons that far extend the "they had to to get it off the ground argument" as they are still making exclusivity plans with single carriers in countries that are all GSM-based and countries that are so large, like China, that having a CDMA phone to cover nearly a billion potential customers would make sense from a focus of simply selling more units. I think Apple's long game is to maintain the contracts as long as possible so they can maintain control over their ecosystem as long as possible. It does have its advantages.

There is not a billion potential customers for the iPhone in China, as most of the population would not be able to afford the iPhone
  • Reply 31 of 65
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

It's crazy! On top of that, it's never people from countries that are all GSM that are complaining about these exclusivity contracts, only AT&T, where the iPhone 3G still wouldn't work on Sprint, Verizon or T-Mobile.

And that is because the U.S. managed to create three incompatible different 3G networks (even though, presumably, phones working both on T-Mobile and AT&T will come out or already have).
  • Reply 32 of 65
    greglogreglo Posts: 63member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

There is not a billion potential customers for the iPhone in China, as most of the population would not be able to afford the iPhone

No, but a significant proportion could, and that number is increasing. If they didn't want it why do you think there are so many cheap, dodgy knock-offs??
  • Reply 33 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

And that is because the U.S. managed to create three incompatible different 3G networks (even though, presumably, phones working both on T-Mobile and AT&T will come out or already have).

It is rather sad that the US has managed to screw up what is supposed to be a global standard.
  • Reply 34 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by greglo View Post

No, but a significant proportion could, and that number is increasing. If they didn't want it why do you think there are so many cheap, dodgy knock-offs??

Note your own words: "cheap, dodgy knock-offs". If the average Chinese has the option to pay full price for an iPhone or have one that looks very similar and might even have more features for less money, take a guess which one they will go for.
  • Reply 35 of 65
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by randythot View Post

Sounds like someone put the FTC up to this? I imagine Apple has extensive notes to document when Schmidt steps out during Apple board meetings. Although there are areas they might overlap and compete (Android, mainly?), I can imagine that Apple and Google want to maintain their relationship, so others may want to cause a rift.

What irony in the hypocrisy if it is M$
  • Reply 36 of 65
    lochiaslochias Posts: 83member
    Quote:

Ah, the two companies should just merge already and get it over with.

If the Government objects to their talking to each other (at the Board level), how are they going to approve a merger??
  • Reply 37 of 65
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:

Ah, the two companies should just merge already and get it over with.

that did spring to mind
  • Reply 38 of 65
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:

It's not the fault of Apple that T-Mobil chose this weird frequency. It had nothing to do with the iPhone's antenna.

GSM phones that work on AT&T also work on T-Mobile...how because most GSM chip set are quad or tri band, which means they can operate on any of the 3 or 4 frequencies that GSM operates on world wide. I have an AT&T phone which I unlocked to work on T-Mobile.

I suspect Apple is also using one of these tri or quad band chips too thus the reason is works all over the world.

Face people CDMA only works in the US and with Verizon and Sprint, and if you wanted a Iphone which work not only in the US but world wild Apple would have to put in two chip set one for CDMA and one for GSM, which as it was pointed out it would chew up more power and put out more heat...
  • Reply 39 of 65
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

Here's your answer:

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/annual-su...eep-329104.php
  • Reply 40 of 65
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    MS know this and this is the reason they have been having so much problems lately. They are use to competing against one or two competitors an area. It now appears to be an united front against them. There are so many companies going after their lunch that MS can not seem to get their head above the waters.

You can pretty much be guaranty that is not only Apple and Google working together but a number of companies all targeting MS business, no one will take them on single handed, or take all their market share in one shoot, but it will be torn down over time.

If windows 7 comes out and fails like Vista appears have happen, I think this will be the death nail for them. Corporation around the world will not wait another round to see if they can get it right, They will begin to look else where. The question is, will Apple fill the gap or something else.