Rumors surface of Apple showing interest in acquiring Twitter

Comments

• Reply 81 of 151
    trajectorytrajectory Posts: 647member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shunnabunich View Post

Also, crossposted from the MR thread...

Sounds...almost perverted, somehow.

Please, we don't need posts from that useless site reposted here.
  • Reply 82 of 151
    dreamrajdreamraj Posts: 83member
    First, it seems unlikely coz Apple usually develops their own applications, or services, and does a much better job than similar ones out there already. But even if it were to happen, I think Apple will incorporate Twitter mainly into the iPhone, similar to how they bought Silicon Color company in 2006 and incorporated their 'Color' grading software into Final Cut Studio.
  • Reply 83 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

Please, we don't need posts from that useless site reposted here.

Bitter about something, perhaps? I only said that because it was my own post in both places. I frequent both sites, as well as others. I apologize if that offends you.
  • Reply 84 of 151
    Buy Skype instead and get Skype-Out money aswell as a cut from AT&T, or would that be a blatant conflict of interest?
  • Reply 85 of 151
    ireality85ireality85 Posts: 316member
    I really don't understand the attraction to twitter, nor do I want to (and I like to consider myself one of those "in-the-know" mid-twenty somethings). There is such a thing as information overload. I already get a lot of that from facebook (which I love, in all honesty), my iPhone (through not only txts but IM and RSS as well), and email (work and personal); after all of these, twitter just seems like waaaay too much. I can't think of a more narcissistic program than twitter which makes your business everyone else's business (and conversely their business your business), and unlike other social sites these twits are mostly people you don't even know. There is nothing that twitter can do that TXT/SMS/RSS/IM/email/other social hangouts can't do, although it appears twitter manages to do all these things in a much more nonstop, narcissistic, and obnoxious way. Fascinating yes, but I stay as far away as I can from twitter, its twits, and the twittering.

But Apple buying twitter? Let's hope this rumor stays just that- a rumor.
  • Reply 86 of 151
    troehltroehl Posts: 31member
    Do you not remember the internet bubble bursting a few years back??? Seriously, this was the mantra of every venture capitalist in the dot com era. It was all about the "eyeballs." Don't worry about making any money, we'll figure that out later! Eyeballs != money!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

Twitter=eyeballs. The business model eventually will include advertising. That some people use this tool in silly ways is irrelevant. If a guy threw a hammer in the air and it landed on his head, would you think hammers are stupid? People will be using Twitter in ways that are not even imagined today. 700 million is chump change if this thing goes into the hundreds of millions of users - which it will. As far as - would less people use it if it included advertising....? Think TV and Google.

• Reply 87 of 151
    trajectorytrajectory Posts: 647member
    I personally find both Facebook and Twitter useless time wasters. But lots of people like to use both of these services, so I guess that's the attraction. But 700 million for a company that makes zero seems like a rumor.
  • Reply 88 of 151
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Twitter already includes advertising of a sort and it's already intrusive and threatening to block the efficacy of the system. It's part of "going mainstream."

Still, what you described isn't giving Twitter any money to operate the service.

I think it's dangerous to start a service that doesn't have a business model planned from the beginning. Even if the business model is to "get bought out by someone big", how often are the big companies going to buy something without a source of revenue that isn't a bunch of VCs feeding them cash? Anything that they do is going to mean a huge defection of users if they're not careful.

At any rate, any suggestion that Apple would buy Twitter has to be bunk, like anything else that Apple has bought, it either has to make money on its own or be something that can be used to bolster an existing product or service, and I don't see either right now.
  • Reply 89 of 151
    istinkistink Posts: 250member
    Everyone, I just wanted to let you know that for lunch today I had two tacos, and on the way back to work I saw a blimp.

Discuss.
  • Reply 90 of 151
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iStink View Post

Everyone, I just wanted to let you know that for lunch today I had two tacos, and on the way back to work I saw a blimp.

Discuss.

Twitter can be used for more than merely reporting on mundane activities.

It can be used to promote your website, business, services, etc. It can be used as a blogging tool of sorts--prime example is for sports, play-by-play commentary and such. There are many different applications.
  • Reply 91 of 151
    Quote:

Discuss.

What kind of blimp was it? Was it, like, Goodyear or something, or was it one of those little RC toy ones?

Also, I'm about to go clean the bathroom soon.
  • Reply 92 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by troehl View Post

Here's my theory:

WWDC is coming up very fast. One of the main focuses of the conference will be the iPhone 3.0 OS and one of the main new features is Push Notifications. Now Apple needs to find some impressive, real world demonstrations of why Push Notifications are a good thing so they have been working closely with companies like Twitter to have something to show at WWDC. Somebody notices this and suddenly Apple is going to buy Twitter! EA has been asked on stage to demonstrate games at numerous Apple events as well so the same logic could apply there as well....

Or maybe Twitter IS the Push notification engine.
  • Reply 93 of 151
    ireality85ireality85 Posts: 316member
    Quote:

That was inefficient use of your tweet. You used 120 characters of your 140 character allotment. Surely, iStink, you could have provided our nosy egos with another tasty tidbit of your daily life in 20 characters.
  • Reply 94 of 151
    Steve Jobs at WWDC 2009:

"Today we are introducing 3 revolutionary products...

Twitter...................Push Notification System...................Revolutionary Mobile Messaging System

Twitter..........Push Notification System.........Revolutionary Mobile Messaging System

Twitter...Push Notification System...Revolutionary Mobile Messaging System

Are you getting it?

They aren't three separate products...they are one.

<cue Wooo! guy and applause>

CROWD GOES NUTS!
  • Reply 95 of 151
    istinkistink Posts: 250member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

That was inefficient use of your tweet. You used 120 characters of your 140 character allotment. Surely, iStink, you could have provided our nosy egos with another tasty tidbit of your daily life in 20 characters.

Ah you're right! I'll update immediately:

I had two tacos for lunch today. On the way back to work, I saw a blimp, her name is Tina and she works in the human resources department.
  • Reply 96 of 151
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Buy twitter and dismantle it. Sell the leftovers to Fiat.

Best suggestion.
  • Reply 97 of 151
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JohnnyKrz View Post

Thank God some people here agree with me as to the boringness of Twitter. I think it has its purpose, but telling me whatever mundane task you are up to is something I care nothing about and I have to see that crap to get to the good stuff (that rarely exists in Twitter). I'd rather use email, IM, Facebook, blogs, or any of the other established methods of online communication.

I don't mean to be insulting, but I think one must be really bored to bust out their iPhone and send out a Twitter to all their friends telling them something like "This coffee is really doing the trick" - an actual tweet I once received. Why is there so much tweeting about coffee? I mean, who the F*@# cares? If that's your thing, then cool, but it isn't for me. And yes, I have tried it for a while... and yes, this is just my opinion.

Needless to say, I hope Apple doesn't waste their resources on Twitter. We all know they love it, though. They describe it as a "Triumph of Humanity" on the Apple website.... please.

While I agree with you . You miss the fantastic allure of twitter. Many ppi are stuck in boring fuck ass jobs or lives'. And while they work they twitter.

I live and work in nyc and many people come to my booth and while were doing a biz transaction >>there on their twitter . There addicted .

Twitter will only grow like podcasts did . Only how would apple make money from it ?? 750 mill is cheap .
  • Reply 98 of 151
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    It kind of fits.. this Apple + Twitter rumor.

Apple wouldn't be interested in buying for instance FaceBook. It's big and well established and too far in development. It makes more sense to buy an up and coming little service that Apple can take part in guiding, developing and integrating with its own apps and products. I think it makes sense.
  • Reply 99 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Breaking News: Apple rumored to be in talks to acquire Dairy Queen.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You just made that up.

Sure he did but Dairy Queen is trading up 8% since the "news" broke.
  • Reply 100 of 151
    Quote:

Ah you're right! I'll update immediately:

I had two tacos for lunch today. On the way back to work, I saw a blimp, her name is Tina and she works in the human resources department.

Tina, eat your ham!