Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Tina, eat your ham!

That was flippin' sweet.
  • Reply 102 of 151
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

Wow. Just wow. Would 3 (I assume young) guys sell their young, unprofitable business for "just" $700 MILLION DOLLARS? Can you even imagine being in their shoes? If someone offered you twice your current salary for a new job, would you be able to turn it down? I think it would be really hard NOT to "sell out" (which is not what they being asked to do in any case) for close a BILLION dollars. Get real. As others have said Twitter could be worthless in a few year (or hugely successful), so it's not like cashing out would be crazy.

The owners know better than anyone else Twitter's potential for making money. If they have

determined that this is the time to sell, that should tell everyone something. As to the idea

they will hold on to the company out of sentimentality, I think they could each use their

share of the $700M to start companies around new ideas. They would get over the loss

of Twitter in no time flat.
  • Reply 103 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MyTriniPhone View Post

twitter is a great source for getting news and updates..

Facebook is a great source for getting news and updates..

MySpace is a great source for getting news and updates..

Orkut is a great source for getting news and updates..

Tribe is a great source for getting news and updates..

Nerve is a great source for getting news and updates..

Salon is a great source for getting news and updates..

Friendster is a great source for getting news and updates..

EZboard is a great source for getting news and updates..

GeoCities is a great source for getting news and updates..

The Well is a great source for getting news and updates..

AOL is a great source for getting news and updates..
  • Reply 104 of 151
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    Does anyone here follow AI on Twitter?
  • Reply 105 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

MySpace is a great source for getting news and updates..

Orkut is a great source for getting news and updates..

Tribe is a great source for getting news and updates..

Nerve is a great source for getting news and updates..

Salon is a great source for getting news and updates..

Friendster is a great source for getting news and updates..

EZboard is a great source for getting news and updates..

GeoCities is a great source for getting news and updates..

The Well is a great source for getting news and updates..

AOL is a great source for getting news and updates..

MySpace is a great source for getting news and updates and soliciting sex from minors.

Orkut is going nowhere.

Tribe is going nowhere.

Nerve is going nowhere.

Salon is going nowhere.

Friendster is going nowhere.

EZboard is going nowhere.

GeoCities is out of business.

The Well is?

AOL is dying a slow death.

Only Twitter and Facebook are mentioned everyday on major news shows and in prime time media.

Only Facebook, Myspace and Twitter are growing and have some mainstream recognition.

AOL has become a joke and MySpace isn't far behind.
  • Reply 106 of 151
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iStink View Post

Everyone, I just wanted to let you know that for lunch today I had two tacos, and on the way back to work I saw a blimp.

I laughed at this.
  • Reply 107 of 151
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:

MySpace is a great source for getting news and updates and soliciting sex from minors.

Orkut is going nowhere.

Tribe is going nowhere.

Nerve is going nowhere.

Salon is going nowhere.

Friendster is going nowhere.

EZboard is going nowhere.

GeoCities is out of business.

The Well is?

AOL is dying a slow death.

Only Twitter and Facebook are mentioned everyday on major news shows and in prime time media.

Only Facebook, Myspace and Twitter are growing and have some mainstream recognition.

AOL has become a joke? I thought it was a joke in 1994.

I'm a total Internet junky, always have been. Twitter is the only service you mentioned that I ever used. And I don't use it much.
  • Reply 108 of 151
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isaaclimdc View Post

Yes, it is A LOT of money, but these three guys are quite inspirational people, and I dunno, I would think that they treasure Twitter a heck a lot. That's why Jack Dorsey turned it down from Google's $500 million, I believe is the sum.

• Reply 109 of 151
    Quote:

One month later:

Only Rettiwt and Koobecaf are mentioned everyday on major news shows and in prime time media.

Facebook has become a joke and Twitter isn't far behind.
  • Reply 110 of 151
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    What sort of "News" do people get on Facebook and other Social Networks one cannot glean from the New Sites?

All social networks that have no intrinsic business leveraging value are overvalued hype used as data pools to test bed what people reveal about their social habits.
  • Reply 111 of 151
    trajectorytrajectory Posts: 647member
    Facebook is trying to imitate Twitter in many respects, much to the dismay of many users when the new features and layout were recently introduced. So, Twitter is obviously having an impact on FB's popularity. And as FB continues to throw users off who "use the service too much," they will eventually make themselves obsolete.

My prediction: Apple will not buy Twitter. Twitter will buy Facebook.
  • Reply 112 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

What sort of "News" do people get on Facebook and other Social Networks one cannot glean from the New Sites?

If you believe the hype, it is a real time feed to real people on the street.

Kinda like during the Mumbai attacks where you could scroll through dozens of posts per minute of idle speculation and incorrect information.
  • Reply 113 of 151
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

If you believe the hype, it is a real time feed to real people on the street.

Kinda like during the Mumbai attacks where you could scroll through dozens of posts per minute of idle speculation and incorrect information.

Why did I think of the media coverage of the "Swine Flu" when I read this?
  • Reply 114 of 151
    Yeah I know he supposedly broke some twitter record, but I think its because he hired a bunch of Chinese or Indians to create new accounts--you know like the treasure finder people in WOW.

Back on topic. Anyways, why would they do something so, so stupid? They would lose less money in the long run by lowering the cost of their computer line by half. When are companies (and supposed 'experts') going to learn that these social networks have no real intrinsic value? They might want to ask Time Warner how they feel about their AOL investment (granted they actually had a payfor service and cash coming in the door....but it was the AOL user network that actually sold AOL)? Or News Corp's purchase of MySpace? Or Google's purchase of YouTube? Twitter will go the way of all these social networks. Just as FaceBook will. They would be better served by taking all that cash to the recycler to be turned into toilet paper....because in 10 years that is what Twitter will be worth. If Apple wanted to make a twitter like service they have the cash reserves to do so for a tenth the cost.
  • Reply 115 of 151
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Still, what you described isn't giving Twitter any money to operate the service. ...

True. I didn't think of it in that way. They don't really have a financial model in that sense.

Still, if it were bought by anyone and made proprietary and had advertisements in the client etc. it would become instantly useless and die overnight IMO. Perhaps this is why the developers don't sell as they see it as a valuable service and don't want it to die. Apple could probably sway them by promising to keep it an open standard or something.

I haven't heard it being talked about out loud so much, but AFAIK the reason Google wanted to buy Twitter was because of search. Twitter is a far better real time search platform than anything Google or Microsoft has been trying to cobble together from scratch and it organically developed all on it's own. How many times have you been searching for results that are current to the moment as opposed to whatever Google has indexed since yesterday? Again though, this would be an "outside" monetisation of the platform as opposed to making money off the service itself.

When I first read the title of this article I thought it was absolute nonsense, but the more we talk about it, the more I think that there are valid reasons for Apple to buy Twitter, but given our complete lack of info on what's going on (if anything is even going on), it's probably meaningless to discuss it at this stage.

I guess that shows how bored we all are to be arguing back and forth about it when there is no hope of coming to any reasonable conclusion. My theory is that they will either buy it, or they won't.
  • Reply 116 of 151
    fast fred 1fast fred 1 Posts: 294member
    Quote:

Sure he did but Dairy Queen is trading up 8% since the "news" broke.

Oh Oh Dairy Queen.... just went soft..
  • Reply 117 of 151
    fast fred 1fast fred 1 Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by heavydevelopment View Post

Yeah I know he supposedly broke some twitter record, but I think its because he hired a bunch of Chinese or Indians to create new accounts--you know like the treasure finder people in WOW.

Back on topic. Anyways, why would they do something so, so stupid? They would lose less money in the long run by lowering the cost of their computer line by half. When are companies (and supposed 'experts') going to learn that these social networks have no real intrinsic value? They might want to ask Time Warner how they feel about their AOL investment (granted they actually had a payfor service and cash coming in the door....but it was the AOL user network that actually sold AOL)? Or News Corp's purchase of MySpace? Or Google's purchase of YouTube? Twitter will go the way of all these social networks. Just as FaceBook will. They would be better served by taking all that cash to the recycler to be turned into toilet paper....because in 10 years that is what Twitter will be worth. If Apple wanted to make a twitter like service they have the cash reserves to do so for a tenth the cost.

Ashtwitt !
  • Reply 118 of 151
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

I personally find both Facebook and Twitter useless time wasters. But lots of people like to use both of these services, so I guess that's the attraction. But 700 million for a company that makes zero seems like a rumor.

How much was Next making when Apple bought them in 1996?

OK, it is not exactly the same, Next did have revenue, but that is not what Apple bought them for. Apple saw something there that they needed. They were willing to pay hundreds of millions even if most people didn't know what their plan was...

I don't claim to have any special insight here into the Twitter issue, just that I'm sure Apple would not pull the trigger if they did not have something very specific in mind...
  • Reply 119 of 151
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    If people looked up the definition of the word "Twit" maybe they would realize how stupid Twitter actually is. What a useless service.
  • Reply 120 of 151
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

Please, we don't need posts from that useless site reposted here.

Who's "we", jackass?

Got a mouse in your pocket?