Apple may be forced into Verizon iPhone within 2 years - report

Comments

• Reply 81 of 101
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Back on topic: Duh! Of course Apple will have to eventually move to other carriers to expand their current reach.

Yeah, but remember, they'll have been "forced" to do it, because Apple never does anything right unless it's against their will.
  • Reply 82 of 101
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Huh? The iPhone has been stealing CDMA users for two years now. Sprint is currently losing over a million subscribers per quarter. People with Sprint or Verizon or US Cellular that want an iPhone can just ditch their CDMA service and old phone and still keep the number.

They can ditch their CDMA service, but for a good portion that means ditching being able to make a call. GSM coverage for a good portion of the U.S. is beyond terrible.

Quote:

If anything, what Apple needs to do is hold AT&Ts feet to the fire to continue to upgrade the existing GSM network today.

That's putting it mildly. However, instead of getting AT&T to go on a building spree it clearly has no interest in, why not give the customer choice? The OS and apps don't care if they're running GSM or CDMA for voice and UTMS or EV-DO for data. Its neither hard nor expensive to substitute one set of radios for another.
  • Reply 83 of 101
    neilmneilm Posts: 989member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Enigmafan420 View Post

...If they [T-Mobile] could build out their 3G and Apple would make a compatible phone, I would be back in a second. LOVED THEM-and they are cheap-much cheaper than AT$T.

Suppose there's any correlation between T-Mobile's scanty network coverage and their cheap price?

Ya gotta pay to play...
  • Reply 84 of 101
    echosonicechosonic Posts: 462member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A research note from Citigroup sent out late on Tuesday stresses that the US cellular market is quickly hitting a wall in terms of growth and that even the iPhone can't save AT&T from the same fate. Although Apple's handsets may have saved AT&T in the last quarter by improving the company's bottom line and preventing dramatically reduced subscriber additions in the midst of an economic collapse; the American wireless industry as a whole is only likely to grow 1 to 3 percent per year from here on out, analysts say.[ View this article at AppleInsider.com ][/c]

Is this the same Citigroup that's begging for bailout money because they were too stupid to see where the financial industry (their own industry) has been heading over the last three years, and decided to invest in high-risk mortgage-backed securities?
  • Reply 85 of 101
    thetoethetoe Posts: 84member
    Use a Touch or iPhone with Verizon right now:

http://gizmodo.com/5243552/verizon-m...th-a-hefty-fee
  • Reply 86 of 101
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Enigmafan420 View Post

God I hate AT&T-but I hate Verizon just as much.

I do not hear good things about Sprint, but their everything for $80 a month (I think) is a pretty good deal.

Then hear this: In my area of NY, Sprint is the only 5 bar reliable carrier. As you said, they offer good plans and customer service is acceptable, if you can understand an India accent.
  • Reply 87 of 101
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post

...they offer good plans and customer service is acceptable, if you can understand an India accent.

To tell you the truth -- I genuinely do not mean offense -- I often have less trouble understanding 'an India accent' (sic) than I do the accents I have to deal with when call centers are located in the US.

There has been many an instance in which I have been exasperated with the incomprehensible drawls I hear with US-based call centers.
  • Reply 88 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

To tell you the truth -- I genuinely do not mean offense -- I often have less trouble understanding 'an India accent' (sic) than I do the accents I have to deal with when call centers are located in the US.

There has been many an instance in which I have been exasperated with the incomprehensible drawls I hear with US-based call centers.

I didn't mean it in a racial manner either. But it does speak to why companies should use local employees in the regions they service. It's also better for employment. American jobs for Americans. Indian jobs for Indians etc.
  • Reply 89 of 101
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post

But it does speak to why companies should use local employees in the regions they service. It's also better for employment. American jobs for Americans. Indian jobs for Indians etc.

Since they are in India they are Indian jobs.

Having a cell center in the southern region for southerners and New England region for New Englanders is not costly and still doesn't address the issue of people who are traveling or have moved to that area with a different accent. And we are only talking an accent, not a dialect. Most companies outsource because they find it cheaper, but the ones that are in the states usually picka areas where accents are typically mild. I know Omaha is one such city for call centers for this very reason.
  • Reply 90 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Since they are in India they are Indian jobs.

Having a cell center in the southern region for southerners and New England region for New Englanders is not costly and still doesn't address the issue of people who are traveling or have moved to that area with a different accent. And we are only talking an accent, not a dialect. Most companies outsource because they find it cheaper, but the ones that are in the states usually picka areas where accents are typically mild. I know Omaha is one such city for call centers for this very reason.

I hear what you're saying, but the companies can use a cottage based industry model that could be regional for dialect and cost effective since you don't need call centers. As you address, it wouldn't solve all accent or dialect problems, but would keep jobs in the country of origin. It makes no sense for speech clarity for American calls being forwarded to India, except for taking advantage of a cheap global labor force. IMO, there should be laws requiring companies to use the labor force of the country buying the service.

It won't happen but I can dream.
  • Reply 91 of 101
    aiolosaiolos Posts: 228member
    As soon as there's an iPhone (hopefully 32GB) on Verizon, I'll be at the Apple Store. Can't wait until I can merge my cell phone and iPod and carry 1 less thing in my pockets. Free pocket space FTW.
  • Reply 92 of 101
    There is a story that AT&T is buying up Alltel from Verizon. Alltel is 1.5M subscribers on CDMA. I'm guessing that the buy is mainly for the towers.
    ? http://www.phonescoop.com/news/item.php?n=4336

1.5 million subscribers in 79 regions, including rural areas of the following states: Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia and Wyoming.
  • Reply 93 of 101
    oldcodger73oldcodger73 Posts: 707member
    Quote:

There is a story that AT&T is buying up Alltel from Verizon. Alltel is 1.5M subscribers on CDMA. I'm guessing that the buy is mainly for the towers.
    ? http://www.phonescoop.com/news/item.php?n=4336

1.5 million subscribers in 79 regions, including rural areas of the following states: Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia and Wyoming.

I could be wrong, but I think AT&T is buying up only those Alltel assets in areas where Verizon was forced to divest themselves when Verizon purchased Alltel.

It will be interesting to see how the CDMA/GSM thing plays out as I have some relatives on Alltel in one of the affected areas.
  • Reply 94 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

I could be wrong, but I think AT&T is buying up only those Alltel assets in areas where Verizon was forced to divest themselves when Verizon purchased Alltel.

It will be interesting to see how the CDMA/GSM thing plays out as I have some relatives on Alltel in one of the affected areas.

Aren't CDMA/CDMA2000 towers spaced differently than GSM/WCDMA towers? I hope this was a good buy for AT&T customers. Not that I'm in rural areas much but this is one area of coverage that AT&T is certainly lacking.
  • Reply 95 of 101
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Yep that's right, AT&T is only buying assets from Verizon. At the same time Verizon is also buying some assets from AT&T on its recent mergers.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

• Reply 96 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Yep that's right, AT&T is only buying assets from Verizon. At the same time Verizon is also buying some assets from AT&T on its recent mergers.

The price and subscriber differences are pretty different. AT&T is getting 1.5M subs with assets for $2.35B and Verizon is getting 120K subs with assets for $240M. 10x as many subs and 10x the cost for AT&T, though AT&T needs more at this point than Verizon.

PS: AT&T supposedly has 78.2 million subscribers, while Verizon supposedly has 86.6M, according to Wikipedia though different pages list different numbers. I took the highest I found assuming they both are growing. If AT&T will get a net gain of 1.3M subs they will only be 5M away from Verizon. Anyone think they will be overtaking Verizon within a year?
  • Reply 97 of 101
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Last I'd read on the issue Verizon was supposed to grow to 80 million subs with the acquisition of Alltel's 15 million subs. I find it difficult to believe that in the last couple of quarters Verizon itself added 6 million more subs. Outside of an acquisition no one has had that type of growth.

I think AT&T passing Verizon depends on the next iPhone launch and the ability of the network to absorb the new users.

EDIT: Ok I looked it up. Verizon's total came to 83.7 million subs with the Alltel acquisition.

Quote:

PS: AT&T supposedly has 78.2 million subscribers, while Verizon supposedly has 86.6M, according to Wikipedia though different pages list different numbers. I took the highest I found assuming they both are growing. If AT&T will get a net gain of 1.3M subs they will only be 5M away from Verizon. Anyone think they will be overtaking Verizon within a year?

• Reply 98 of 101
    I sell unlocked iphones and I would not use AT&T the service sucks so bad I never reuped when my contract ran out I think it's a good idea verizon will use more GSM phones other then Black Berry it makes sense for them..
  • Reply 99 of 101
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Last I'd read on the issue Verizon was supposed to grow to 80 million subs with the acquisition of Alltel's 15 million subs. I find it difficult to believe that in the last couple of quarters Verizon itself added 6 million more subs. Outside of an acquisition no one has had that type of growth.

I think AT&T passing Verizon depends on the next iPhone launch and the ability of the network to absorb the new users.

EDIT: Ok I looked it up. Verizon's total came to 83.7 million subs with the Alltel acquisition.

The 78.2 million subscribers and 86.6 million subscribers come from AT&T's and Verizon's latest Q1 financial reports.

You actually have to beat Verizon's quarterly net adds in order to even close the gap for AT&T. From the LG Voyager to the Blackberry Curve --- it has been proven that a half-a.s.s.ed iphone copycat will sell relatively well against the geniune iphone.

AT&T's ability to pass Verizon depends on ---- Tracfone.
  • Reply 100 of 101
    If you have been handed the intimidating job of writing a eulogy for your cherished one's funeral service, you will probably want to read an eulogy example or two. Actually, the faster you can get your hands on to review, the better ready you will be for establishing the proper tone and theme for your personal cherished one's eulogy.

It is never easy to summarize an entire life and legacy in one single, heartfelt speech. But by reviewing an eulogy sample - pinpointing what truly speaks to you and ruling out what may not be as fitting inside your specific conditions - you will be sure to get the proper tone. Keep in mind the eulogy to be as unique because the dearly departed. Just simply because some situation is included in an instance you have study does not always mean that it should be integrated in the funeral speech that you're composing. Give some thought as towards the type of service you are holding for your cherished one. Think about your cherished one's character, and the emotions of your fellow mourners. If the recently deceased was known for his pervasive sense of humor, perhaps a joke could be fitting. Otherwise, you might need to get some other's opinions on what aspects to get from any particularly touching instance you've read.