X11

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Three questions:

(1) Can we run simultaneously Apple's X11 and XDarwin?

(2) Is there the possibility in Apple's X11 to run in full screen mode instead of rootless, like XDarwin?

(3) What about virtual workspaces support?

Thanks,

PB
  • Reply 22 of 61
    [quote] But there's still a problem. There is no "window". See my screenshot.<hr></blockquote>

I had the same problem. You just need to run Quartz window manager with

% quartz-wm

make sure /usr/X11R6/bin/ is in your path. If you do a custom install you can have it install the apple configuration and overwrite any of the old stuff you have from XDarwin etc...
  • Reply 23 of 61
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    check out <a href="http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8327"; target="_blank">this thread @ macosxhints</a> to find out how to install.

BTW: It looks just like Aqua and behaves the same. Genie effect and everything. And it is extremely responsive, as opposed to how slow XDarwin was.
  • Reply 24 of 61
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    [quote]Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:

<strong>Ah, I just kinda wanted to see what it's like, for fun. I am guessing it's a bit like WannaBe?

BTW, when I type in any address, it says "Lynx: command not found."</strong><hr></blockquote>

first, commands on the cli are case-sensitive. so, try lower-case 'lynx'. if that doesn't work, it means either you didn't install it correctly, or it isn't in your path. if you got it from fink, make sure that 'source /sw/bin/init.csh' is in your ~/.tcshrc (or ~/.cshrc). if it still doesn't work, type "echo $PATH", to see your path. if you installed lynx manually, it is probably in /usr/local/bin. (you can verify by doing 'ls /usr/local/bin/lynx') you can add '/usr/local/bin' to your path by typing:

[code]setenv PATH "/usr/local/bin:$PATH";</pre><hr></blockquote>

you can also put that in your .tcshrc (or .cshrc), to keep it in your path permanently.
  • Reply 25 of 61
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    [quote]Originally posted by PB:

<strong>(1) Can we run simultaneously Apple's X11 and XDarwin?

</strong><hr></blockquote>

yes. you have to change XDarwin's DISPLAY variable to something other than zero (0) though. [it might be possible to instead change apple's x11 var to something other than 0, the point being they can't be on the same DISPLAY variable]. that requires you to go into XDarwin's prefs, which means XDarwin has to be running, so you have to temporarily turn down Apple's X11. I changed XDarwin to fullscreen, and DISPLAY '1'. After chaning the DISPLAY variable, you have to re-start XDarwin, so the prefs take effect.

So, if I want windows to be mixed with aqua, i send them to DISPLAY :0.0, and if i want them behind the scenes, in x11-land, i send them to ':1.0" [i don't think the decimal places are actually necessary, but they are fun].

[ 01-08-2003: Message edited by: thuh Freak ]</p>
  • Reply 26 of 61
    Hi, I'm not sure if this thread is the right one for this message,

I'm a newbie after all (and not the sharpest tool in the barn according

to my father).

It seems to me that these people are "giving away" OSX, win95 and

Office? <a href="http://OpenOSX.com/wintel/index.html"; target="_blank">http://OpenOSX.com/wintel/index.html</a>;

I admit that I'm a newbie when it comes to all these openthis and openthatWares.

But I would be happy if someone who is more familiar with these things

could go and check it out and give somekind of an explanation about this site

and the applications and possibly system and hardware requierements.
  • Reply 27 of 61
    I already have XDarwin installed with X11R6, will i need to install the whole thing over again, or can i download just the window server?

[ 01-08-2003: Message edited by: Spiffster ]</p>
  • Reply 28 of 61
    [quote]Originally posted by sirheikki:

<strong>

It seems to me that these people are "giving away" OSX, win95 and

Office?

</strong>

<hr></blockquote>

Not really. They are offering an open source 386 emulator, kind of like Virtual PC.

You still need a licence for Windows and the Office they are talking about is OpenOffice: the free, open source alternative to MS Office.

If you are a newbie there is nothing here to interest you, and if there was you could download it for free as it is all open source anyway.
  • Reply 29 of 61
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Okay, OSX-X11 rocks hard.

I just wish Fink would be updated to support it

Currently for Fink to work you need to have XDarwin or XTools installed in addition to OSX-X11.

And to run Fink-installed programs in OSX-X11, you need to type in the command field "/sw/bin/&lt;binary&gt;&lt;options&gt;"

Oh well. It is still flying fast.

Barto
  • Reply 30 of 61
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    Installed X11 and then Installed OpenOffice 1.0.1 Beta

It works but the applescript to launch openoffice asks for XDarwin.app. How can i edit it to instead lunch X11 by default? I can choose X11 twice and it luanches but I would like to have it simply launch. This is cool so far. Very fast.
  • Reply 31 of 61
    [quote]Originally posted by NoahJ:

<strong>Installed X11 and then Installed OpenOffice 1.0.1 Beta

It works but the applescript to launch openoffice asks for XDarwin.app. How can i edit it to instead lunch X11 by default? I can choose X11 twice and it luanches but I would like to have it simply launch. This is cool so far. Very fast.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Figured it out. The Launcher is a package and you go into the contents:Resources:Scripts and edit the script there. It will ask you once more where XDarwin is and then you point it to X11 and it is fine. I saved the origional script in the OpenOffice folder and replaced it with the new script. Works great now.
  • Reply 32 of 61
    quaremquarem Posts: 254member
    [quote]Originally posted by Barto:

<strong>Okay, OSX-X11 rocks hard.

I just wish Fink would be updated to support it

Currently for Fink to work you need to have XDarwin or XTools installed in addition to OSX-X11.

And to run Fink-installed programs in OSX-X11, you need to type in the command field "/sw/bin/&lt;binary&gt;&lt;options&gt;"

Oh well. It is still flying fast.

Barto</strong><hr></blockquote>

You can set up Fink to work with it. The instructions are on Finks website. <a href="http://fink.sourceforge.net/"; target="_blank">http://fink.sourceforge.net/</a>;

If you set up your path correctly in Xterm you shouldn't have to enter "/sw/bin/binary" you can do this manually with "set path=($path /sw/bin /sw/sbin) in the Xterm window in Apple X11.

For those of you having window positioning problems in X11, I had a similar problem but deleteing my X11 prefs in the home folder (they are hidden with a . before the file name) allow Apple X11 to recreate my prefs and position the windows properly.

Edit: Fixing a spelling mistake.

[ 01-08-2003: Message edited by: Quarem ]</p>
  • Reply 33 of 61
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    just ran the gimp in X11 and its nice

mmmmmmm gimp

But anyway...I think I found a bug.

If you minimize the xterm and then quit X11, the xterm window stays in the dock but you can't maximize it or get rid of it...hmmmm
  • Reply 34 of 61
    zadakzadak Posts: 50member
    I have installed x11 and the gimp / gtk packages from opendarwin.org.

Now what? How do I start Gimp?
  • Reply 35 of 61
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    type "gimp"
  • Reply 36 of 61
    producerproducer Posts: 283member
    ok I know nothing about this...and I never use the terminal but I am interested in gimp and filmgimp...and I assume you need x11 to run them correct? if so is this easy to install if you're used to "the mac way"?
  • Reply 37 of 61
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    The easiest way to install any Unix program is to use "Fink". Do a search on VersionTracker.

Anyway, once Fink is installed you just open the terminal and type "fink install &lt;application&gt;".

Then it does it all for you.

A word of warning: While fink applications run using OSX-X11, you need to install the official XFree86 for Mac OS X first.

Barto
  • Reply 38 of 61
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    So why isn't Apple including fink with X11?
  • Reply 39 of 61
    [quote]Originally posted by Aquatic:

<strong>So why isn't Apple including fink with X11?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Probably because Apple does not own rights to Fink...
  • Reply 40 of 61
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    [quote]Originally posted by Aquatic:

<strong>So why isn't Apple including fink with X11?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Because one is a window manager and the other is a software installer. You may as well ask, "Why doesn't Apple include Software Update with Aqua/Quartz?"