Apple opens developer forums to Snow Leopard discussion

Comments

• Reply 41 of 80
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Back on track...

This developer forum will hopefully produce a lot more juicy info about the interworkings of Snow Leopard than otherwise could be achieved through a scattered developer platform. I don't even know if Grand Central and/or OpenCL have been integrated into SL yet.

Solipsism

Are you a Select developer? I know you've seen the recent seeds. I haven't heard of any reports about GC or OCL at all so who knows maybe those are delivered at WWDC. Apple's a damn good poker player.

They're going to have enough things whether it be performance or polish to get my $129.
  • Reply 42 of 80
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Are you a Select developer? I know you've seen the recent seeds. I haven't heard of any reports about GC or OCL at all so who knows maybe those are delivered at WWDC. Apple's a damn good poker player.

They're going to have enough things whether it be performance or polish to get my $129.

I am, but I'm not deft enough to be able tell if they have been included yet. I'd think such things would need a lot of tweaking and feedback from developers about performance, but maybe it's one of those things you have to get right before you can include it all in your OS. I just hope that it's not one of those things that silently disappear off the Snow Leopard page, like how Resolution Independence vanished from Leopard.

What would you need to get the OS. It's already faster than Leopard in benchmarking, despite being unfinished. If they come through with everything they promised I think it will be worth the upgrade price.
  • Reply 43 of 80
    I could see Grand Central and OpenCL being something that will get "turned" on. I assume that much of GC doesn't need to be exposed to developers early on until its ready. These new developer forums are going to come into play and pay dividends when the WWDC build hits and whatever is currently inactive or hidden comes to the foreground.
  • Reply 43 of 80
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison

1. Applications stall too much and beach ball.

2. Contextual menus end up cluttered with stuff you don't want from 3rd parties

3. The UI is a bit cobbled together.

4. No decent notification system

5. No uninstaller

6. Niggling things like the OS forgetting finder window settings sometimes

Consumers simply want a better OS. The wow factor for OS is pretty much at its zenith. Apple needs to get the message that the whole "shhhhhhhh we're working on something weally seekrit" is pretty much played out.

Developers don't get to talk about the new OS so therefore consumers don't fully understand the changes and the ramifications of the new changes. Apple's milked this cow long enough.

This is why AI is here. More important than any article I've ever read on this forum. Thank You.
  • Reply 45 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

This is why AI is here. More important than any article I've ever read on this forum. Thank You.

Exactly ..thank God for AI. I've been here longer than any otther forum there were times where I didn't think it would remain a relevant source. Kaspar and crew have done an admirable job. We may not have the most registered forum members but I see Appleinsider quote or refrenced just about more than anyone. There's a lot of lurkers here coming for info.

Oh yes Ireland I gotta give you credit. You've championed the Mac Tablet forever and doggone if it doesn't look like we're headed down that road. Way to stick to your guns when everyone else was playing the Doubting Thomas. I'm totally cool with a tablet device now.
  • Reply 46 of 80
    webraiderwebraider Posts: 163member
    Quote:

I don't think it would be hard to make an app or a preference pane, as I stated above, and to have Xcode build in a simple process that auto-saves the different support file locations into a list so the Unistaller can get them easily. Also, being able to instruct a novice user to the Unistaller in the Prference Pane to delete a damaged Plist file that is causing an app to crash is much easier than walking them through ~/Library/Preferences and having them look for an app titles com.developer_name.something.et_cetera.plist. It's just not very Mac-like.

PS: I'd also like a less "scary" disc copying app for Mac OS X. The current method of the Finder to copy to the HDD into a burn folder you create and then burn, or to use Disk Utility is not very mac-like either. WIndows has had a one-button burn since XP.

Okay.. first of all let's talk about "Mac-Like". Mac Like has been not to need an uninstaller because before it wasn't needed. The idea of simply having to have something to un-install something is Not mac like. I don't disagree with your implication of a need for something to help out, but I'm more for redesigning the OS to a point to where It's simply not necessary. the truth is that for the most part, you can get rid of 95 percent of an app by simply dragging it to the trash. the problem is that some apps leave preference panes and fonts and contextual menu items. I think built in automation needs to be in place so that when You drag the corresponding app to the trash, those things are magically deleted as well. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think this would be hard to do. The information should be kept in a file that's tied into the the programs Application Icon.

AS far as Disk Utility is Concerned I couldn't agree more. I've been a big proponent that Disk Utility should in fact be integrated completely into the Finder. Although I'm now a big fan of Disk Images, I must admit they are confusing at first. That said there is certainly a more intuitive way of creating and utilizing them. There should also be a much easier way of burning disk images. Copying Disks, Verifying them, Scanning a disk for errors should all be available functions in the Finder.
  • Reply 47 of 80
    Quote:

Exactly ..thank God for AI. I've been here longer than any otther forum there were times where I didn't think it would remain a relevant source. Kaspar and crew have done an admirable job. We may not have the most registered forum members but I see Appleinsider quote or refrenced just about more than anyone. There's a lot of lurkers here coming for info.

I agree, I go to other sites but the forums do not compare with AI. It's hard to impossible to get a worthwhile discussion going on Digg, MacRumors, Engdaget, iLounge, Gizmodo, MacWorld, ArsTechnia, Howard and even more technical sites like AnandTech. I think it's partly the articles, which aren't just rumors and releases, but in-depth and well researched papers from technical to financial. The other part being the posters, which for the most part are well informed and willing to consider another PoV. I learn more from these forums than I do from reading tech articles from most sites.

Quote:

Oh yes Ireland I gotta give you credit. You've championed the Mac Tablet forever and doggone if it doesn't look like we're headed down that road. Way to stick to your guns when everyone else was playing the Doubting Thomas. I'm totally cool with a tablet device now.

His focus and dedication is admirable.
  • Reply 48 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webraider View Post

Okay.. first of all let's talk about "Mac-Like". Mac Like has been not to need an uninstaller because before it wasn't needed. The idea of simply having to have something to un-install something is Not mac like. I don't disagree with your implication of a need for something to help out, but I'm more for redesigning the OS to a point to where It's simply not necessary. the truth is that for the most part, you can get rid of 95 percent of an app by simply dragging it to the trash. the problem is that some apps leave preference panes and fonts and contextual menu items. I think built in automation needs to be in place so that when You drag the corresponding app to the trash, those things are magically deleted as well. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think this would be hard to do. The information should be kept in a file that's tied into the the programs Application Icon.

I didn't mean to imply that you couldn't just trash the app, just that there needs to be a way to do a clean uninstall, too.

I like you idea better than mine! For example, having a simple XML listing of the item(s) in Info.plist, that is within the app under Contents when you Show Package Contents in the app that is queried before deleting the file Mac-like. Sometimes you want to save settings so having it ask you first wouldn't be bad either.

I don't think that would be hard to code, but we won't even be getting a Restore option for items in Trash until Snow Leopard, so perhaps it's more difficult that than.
  • Reply 49 of 80
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,731member
    Quote:

"open"?

Sure if you've got 500 dollars minimum. Microsoft is allowing people to download Beta and RC releases of Windows 7 to test it out. That's open.

I would expect Select and Premier developers to be able to discuss an OS they're supposed to have their applications ready for.

The secrecy thing is getting a bit old Apple.

Not agreeing or disagreeing with you only wanted to say I have been a beta tester for 7 for a long time and it didn't cost me a penny so far. It sucks by the way but that's another story.
  • Reply 50 of 80
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,731member
    Quote:

How many times have we Mac users had to go through this.

"ok to unmount that drive just drag it to the trash"

"but I don't want to delete my files!"

"oh no you won't it will just unmount the drive"

"well then why am I dragging it to the trash?"

)

By always adding ... "as you approach the trash/ wastebasket you see it change to an eject icon" has always prevents the confusion in my teaching of this.
  • Reply 51 of 80
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    It's about time for Apple to do this. The growing pool of developers in the Apple ecosystems must have demanded this.

I recall that Microsoft was a bit secretive in the early days. Anyone remember OS/2 by a company called IBM? IBM and Microsoft were working on the OS together. Little did IBM know that Microsoft had other plans.

Don't tell Microsoft isn't secretive. I've seen it several times. How about Microsoft's response to Java -- C#? The DOJ stopped them from making their own Java VM, so they secretively made a Java clone. Surprise surprise ... it's called competition and Apple doesn't want to give a leg-up to their competition.

I predict Apple will make a grab for the Enterprise market. The real story of Snow Leopard will be two-fold - 1) A solidified OS with catering to the developer community ... and 2) The bundling of new server services in OSX Server for collaborative work.
  • Reply 52 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

I recall that Microsoft was a bit secretive in the early days. Anyone remember OS/2 by a company called IBM? IBM and Microsoft were working on the OS together. Little did IBM know that Microsoft had other plans.

As I recall it, IBM was well informed as to what MS was doing with Windows, but their hubris made them think that creating OS/2 was a good idea.
  • Reply 53 of 80
    macbrewermacbrewer Posts: 19member
    [QUOTE=Developers don't get to talk about the new OS so therefore consumers don't fully understand the changes and the ramifications of the new changes. Apple's milked this cow long enough.[/QUOTE]

Developers are going to 'get the word out'.
  • Reply 54 of 80
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Solipsism View Post

I don't even know if Grand Central or Open CL are available yet

Yes, they are and have always been active since the first developer preview, I believe.

They need people to move to these technologies quick smart and test their app performance on Snow Leopard.
  • Reply 55 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PG4G View Post

Yes, they are and have always been active since the first developer preview, I believe.

They need people to move to these technologies quick smart and test their app performance on Snow Leopard.

I skimmed through a couple of the Snow Leopard WWDC 2008 sessions today. They do show that GC, at least, was implemented, in some regard, from the very start.
  • Reply 56 of 80
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:

As I recall it, IBM was well informed as to what MS was doing with Windows, but their hubris made them think that creating OS/2 was a good idea.

Lotus and WordPerfect didn't get the memo then, since they developed for OS/2 thinking Microsoft was supporting OS/2 wholeheartedly. Microsoft comes out with Windows 3.0 and their productivity tools for Windows while dumping their relationship with IBM and work on OS/2. Lotus and WordPerfect then had to scramble to come out with versions for Windows but by the time they did it was too late. Microsoft had already stole their thunder.
  • Reply 57 of 80
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Not agreeing or disagreeing with you only wanted to say I have been a beta tester for 7 for a long time and it didn't cost me a penny so far. It sucks by the way but that's another story.

On one hand, as a fellow 7 beta and RC tester for personal and professional reasons, one who's MSDN subscription went away with my job, thanks to the economy, I must say that Apple and their closed dev process is annoying as an outsider, but it is good in that the feedback Apple gets is from professional devs, who understand how shit works, Any dingbat with an extra box can send MS feedback, how much time and effort is spent weeding out crap and flames from the Windows feedback, and how many utterly retarded ideas survive this process to be presented to engineers, wasting their valuable and expensive time (think 35 - 50/Hr for a low to mid level OS engineer) By keeping the feedback loop tight, they end up fixing more real problems, and can deliver tighter code because they can make the existing stuff better rather than doing a thousand new "toys" "hacks" and "tweaks" for every Tom Dick and Suzie.
  • Reply 58 of 80
    noivadnoivad Posts: 186member
    Anyway,

I think it's funny people are comparing Microsoft's beta of Windows 7 and OS X 10.6. First off Windows NEEDS to beta it because of all the different hardware it's going to be used on. Second, MS needs to repair Windows' image so their doing it with the carrot. I think they've finally realized the stick doesn't work. Third, I don't care that W7 is a public beta. It's like saying Apple won't show off its electric screwdriver with multiple attachments while Microsoft is showing off it sh*t of a stick beta due for release sometime this year: I'll take the Apple way over the MS way any day of the week.
  • Reply 59 of 80
    slr2009slr2009 Posts: 14member
    Quote:

I wish this were the case. However, as good as Leopard is I believe it's pretty far from being a fantastic OS.

1. Applications stall too much and beach ball.

2. Contextual menus end up cluttered with stuff you don't want from 3rd parties

3. The UI is a bit cobbled together.

4. No decent notification system

5. No uninstaller

6. Niggling things like the OS forgetting finder window settings sometimes

Consumers simply want a better OS. The wow factor for OS is pretty much at its zenith. Apple needs to get the message that the whole "shhhhhhhh we're working on something weally seekrit" is pretty much played out.

Developers don't get to talk about the new OS so therefore consumers don't fully understand the changes and the ramifications of the new changes. Apple's milked this cow long enough.

I agree with you. Windows 7 will be released in the coming months and there's alot of positive feadback surrounding it. Apple is going to have steep competition when Microsoft releases there next operating system.

Apple sales have picked up tremendously within the last year or so which was partially due to people disliking Windows Vista and wanting something better. I like leopard alot but the more I hear about Windows 7 the more it makes me want to aventually switch to it.

As much as I love Leopard I find it alot easier to navigate and find my files on my Windows Vista computer. It would be great if on Snow Leopard, folder's could have picture's of what's in it.

I've got 100's of folder's and as it is now navigating to that specific file is tiresome. You can't search files in specific folder unless you're directly in that folder.

I agree with you that the wow factor is at it's height right now but it won't stay that way. People will begin losing interest in Leopard. Like I said, as Microsoft moves closer to releasing Windows 7, the attention will begin to move in that direction.

When I first heard about Snow Leopard I became very excited, but since then I've lost alot of my interest in it. I've heard very little regarding it but I still check this and other sites daily for any new info on Snow Leopard.
  • Reply 60 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SLR2009 View Post

When I first heard about Snow Leopard I became very excited, but since then I've lost alot of my interest in it. I've heard very little regarding it but I still check this and other sites daily for any new info on Snow Leopard.

Yes this is one of the problems with shrouding your software in secrecy. There's initial excitement but then it wanes as nothing comes out (well, beyond rumor sites)

I am glad to see Apple allowing developers to speak about SL amongst themselves. They always have to tough decisions as to how to manage supporting legacy with the new stuff.

Plus with each new successive OS upgrade the tools for analyzing code improves. I'm sure it's not trivial to learn how to master these tools and how to architect a solid app. I'm sure SL is even stronger in these areas and the more developers sharing info the better for us all.