Quick, informal OS X poll...

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Watching the keynote and hearing Jobs talk about OS X migration, I was wondering why - at this point - more people haven't made the leap to OS X.

I suspect that those who have are using X at home just fine. I get the feeling that it's businesses (printers, graphics studios, etc.) that are still using OS 9.

That's my case. I've been using OS X exclusively since March at home, on my iMac. But the last two jobs I've had are still using OS 9, due to some printing or output concerns (neither of which were satisfactorily explained to me).

I'm interested to know what particular OS X situation you guys are in:

A. Use OS X 100% of the time, at home AND work

B. Use OS X exclusively at home, OS 9 at work

C. Use OS X and OS 9 (booted or Classic) at home and work

D. Use OS 9 at home and work

E. What's OS X?

Anyone earlier than OS 9, bug off.

Kidding...

I'm "B", by the way.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    I use X exclusively at home, but I have to use 9 at school. I can't really stand 9 anymore. Sure it works and all that, but it's missing a lot.
  • Reply 2 of 55
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    A.

Because I've got the luxury of using my Ti at work too. Otherwise it would be Windows 95. I'm not kidding. You'd think at Dook they would have newer stuff.
  • Reply 3 of 55
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    A.

I am a Mac user since 9 months ago. Dun have much experience with OS 9, and dun really like its interface.
  • Reply 4 of 55
    C.

However, I sometimes have to use Windows.
  • Reply 5 of 55
    quickquick Posts: 227member
    [quote]Originally posted by pscates:

<strong>Watching the keynote and hearing Jobs talk about OS X migration, I was wondering why - at this point - more people haven't made the leap to OS X

</strong><hr></blockquote>

A. Use OS X 100% of the time, at home

C. Use OS X and OS 9 (Classic) at work
  • Reply 6 of 55
    nevynnevyn Posts: 360member
    [quote]Originally posted by pscates:

<strong>A. Use OS X 100% of the time, at home AND work

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Though I fit better with:

"X. What's OS 9?"
  • Reply 7 of 55
    Use 10 and 9 at home

Use Win NT4, 2000 at school and work
  • Reply 8 of 55
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    I use X exclusively at home since I can no longer stand 9, and 9 exclusively at school.

I'm about to go crazy and just install Jag on everything there...or 10.1, then it wouldn't be piracy, since the computers that can run it have licenses already.
  • Reply 9 of 55
    I use OS X all I can, but all my quark crap can sometimes get in the way. And then when I use Peak DV not even half the effects are carbonized which also sux. And i have a client with a SQL database, I have no idea how to connect to it on X yet. So classic almost all the time, but all my photoshop, after effects, and final cut pro etc regular.
  • Reply 10 of 55
    Sadly the few Macs at my school still run 9, but I rarely use those machines. On my TiBook I never use 9, I'm even thinking of deleting it all together. Can't stand it. Been usign X since it first came out.
  • Reply 11 of 55
    os x at home

windows 2000 pro at work

alot of our peds dept uses macs, but i think they are all os 9 still because of groupwise not porting to os x yet (and maybe never...we were told not to buy macs as the hospital wont support them....but some still do)....g

[ 01-11-2003: Message edited by: thegelding ]</p>
  • Reply 12 of 55
    B.

At work I "inhereted" a 500Mhz G4 tower from our graphic design department when they all went dual-processor and OS X. I also inhereted OS 9-only versions of Photoshop, Illustrator, Office, Dreamweaver, etc., so I'm stuck with 9 for a while. Actually, I find it a pretty pleasant experience. Not as whiz-bang as OS X on my PowerBook at home, but nowhere near as bad as Win2K on my other work computer.
  • Reply 13 of 55
    spookyspooky Posts: 504member
    C

At work in our section we use OS ( becuase there is no way we can afford to replace all the computers, software and peripherals to work with X.

we also use NT 4 and win2000 and look like being force migrated to solely XP soon

At home I use X most of the time but still use 9 now and then. The reason? I can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe my next generation OS should in my eyes perform on a next generation level rather than slightly slower than 9. Maybe its becuase X still doesn't quite feel like a MacOS. I mean what the hell is "com.apple.dockfixup.plist" for example?

Having said that I'm getting used to X more and more. I can see the power of X, its just that 9 feels lile its MY machine. with X I always get the feeling that the machine is doing / is gonna do something I don't have a hope in hell of understanding.

• Reply 14 of 55
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    B. OSX 100% at home, and Windows at school.
  • Reply 15 of 55
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    OS X at home since DP4.

At work i'm saddled with WinXP but am the reident mac support. Our graphics and literature guys still use OS 9 because its more responsive for graphics apps and more quark compatible than classic.

When quark is OS X native, I'll probably suggest an upgrade and the newest version of OS X.
  • Reply 16 of 55
    i use OS X 99.9% of the time. i had stupidly installed QT6 and it wont let me reinstall QT5 (im not paying another $30 for a new key) so i use QT5 thru classic.

i am forced to use a PC at work.

i also use OS 8.6 on a revA PB G3 which is now mainly for emergency email purposes when someone's hoggin up current mac. for some reason i like 8.6 better than 9...
  • Reply 17 of 55
    dviantdviant Posts: 483member
    &lt;-- A

*BUT* I'm sort of 'unofficially' using OS X at work (10.1.5 no less)... everyone else is OS 9 because of one main reason. Quark. I don't have to use it much luckily, but I wont be getting 10.2 until the rest of the office makes the move. GG's Quark.
  • Reply 18 of 55
    A.

100% OSX. Though, I do have to use Red Hat Linux or Windows 2000 from time to time in the labs.

[ 01-11-2003: Message edited by: Brad ]</p>
  • Reply 19 of 55
    A.

OSX at home and at work (I'm a web designer and writer)

My wife uses OS9 at home and work because she's a print designer and, well... Quark... I'm trying to convince her to move to InDesign then we can all be one big happy family.
  • Reply 20 of 55
    A. I don't even have 9 on my PowerBook any more; I did a clean install of Jaguar and dumped 9 in the process. I keep it on my Mac at work, just in case I come across an old PageMaker file I have to open in Classic before converting to InDesign, but I can't even remember the last time I used it.