AT&T pins neutered SlingPlayer on iPhone not being a phone

Comments

• Reply 61 of 85
    hiimamachiimamac Posts: 584member
    This is America.

We, as a nation, have gone from 3rd to 17th in terms of broadband speed worldwide. Other counties stream tv, no slingbox needed. It's due to telco and then cable that this us all screwed up. Charter in bankruptacy. While I don't want anyone to lose their job, the sooner govt. steps in or the dissapear the better.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

People need to catch a breath and cut ATT a little slack this is America. (granted, they are not making it easy for someone to defend them with their inanely stupid PR).

"Unlimited" is not - cannot be - unlimited if everyone treats it like it's unlimited. There is no capacity for that in any system of any kind. It's like a restaurant that says "eat all you can for $5.95" and suddenly, busloads of very hungry, obese people show up for lunch.......

Capacity costs money to provide. And, there are externalities and spillover effects involved, since your downloads affect my speeds.

For anyone who wants to understand this better, I recommend the Econ 101 concept of the 'tragedy of the commons.' (For the short-attention-span version, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tragedy_of_the_commons; for the real thing, see http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/reprint/162/3859/1243.pdf).

• Reply 62 of 85
    hiimamachiimamac Posts: 584member
    Hmmm

No flash ana HD streaming, hulu, netflix , MLB, now sling box and if course flash on myspace. Sounds like more Apple and anything that takes away from icraTUNES rip off media rentals. As long as icratunes is pushing media rentals, expect the iPhone to never, EVER, deliver entertainment.

Let's hope the palm pre anwsers this. My do they have a tall task. People will go to it in droves. Probably 1 out if every 2 people if the pre delivers hulu, flash, hd, netfkix, st-cetera.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

Verizon does not lock down the ability to use a Slingbox. You may argue for the sake of AT&T to change their TOS whenever they feel like it (even though it applies to computers and not smartphones). But there will be a lot of iPhone customers who will leave them when their contract when it is up.

Like I said, just because the iPhone is a better phone does not mean you have to cripple it compared against other phones especially when it's the main reason AT&T stocks aren't in the tank. Do you really believe that everybody is going to suddenly buy the Slingbox app? I have mentioned this before on another thread. Here are the reasons why it would be of little consequence to AT&T:

-Slingbox at least costs $150

-Slingbox app costs $30 when most users would not even pay for an app above $7

-battery life

-3.5" screen which most people would not watch for an extended period of time

-most people don't even know what a slingbox is (even some on these forums)

The whole thing is that there is an app called Orb (for Windows) already on the app store that allows you to stream TV over 3g if a computer is connected to a TV. Why is suddenly the slingbox so different?

And yes I have a Slingbox SOLO. While the UI may be lousy on other phones, it doesn't mean it's any less watchable or that the people who paid sling $30 don't use it. The iPhone and Sling should not be punished because it has a better user experience.

• Reply 63 of 85
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

ok then why can't we tether to our laptops for free again?

Touché. AT&T bit off more than they can swallow.
  • Reply 64 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

This is America.

We, as a nation, have gone from 3rd to 17th in terms of broadband speed worldwide. Other counties stream tv, no slingbox needed. It's due to telco and then cable that this us all screwed up. Charter in bankruptacy. While I don't want anyone to lose their job, the sooner govt. steps in or the dissapear the better.

You will have to forgive him. He is the biggest Apple and AT&T apologist on this site.
  • Reply 65 of 85
    Quote:

Since you defending AT&T why don't you tell everine that it cost nothing fir text messages as they use the open correction bits to send messages and this is AT&T way of hoarding from the customer.

Ok

???

You sound a bit pissed here dude, however I have to point out that AT&T are not the only ones charging for SMS messages when they are basically free. They are sent in the D-Channel if using the ISDN protocol or as data over 3G. AT&T is simply beling like the rest here. The only way to get attention is to hit them in their pocketbooks. Cut back on a call here and there, or sending an SMS. With enough people doing this, AT&T will have to address this. You saw how fasted they responded to the Slingbox issues.
  • Reply 66 of 85
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Why did you put stockholders and profits in quotation marks? To paraphrase a great line - I don't think those mean what you think they mean.

1.) Because I don't think all those who say they are are.

2.) Only real profits unless they sell.
  • Reply 67 of 85
    taskisstaskiss Posts: 1,212member
    Quote:

Since you defending AT&T why don't you tell everine that it cost nothing fir text messages as they use the open correction bits to send messages and this is AT&T way of hoarding from the customer.

Ok

???

Do radio towers and infrastructure just spring into existence where you live?

A company provides a service that folks value and then they ask for some profit from their investment. I don't see that as egregious as you obviously do.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

1.) Because I don't think all those who say they are are.

2.) Only real profits unless they sell.

I don't think all the folks claiming iPhone ownership own iPhones either, but that's not germane to the topic.
  • Reply 68 of 85
    jroyjroy Posts: 30member
    After looking at this discussion so far, it's clear to me that AT&T doesn't think that its 3G network can handle the extra load of Slingbox usage to the iPhone. So its decision to prevent Slingbox from working via 3G on the iPhone is appropriate to protect the vast majority of its customers.

Which brings me to the issue of Slingbox. I'm surely missing something here. What is the great motivation for streaming video from home to the iPhone that has so many people raging against AT&T here? The iPhone screen is pretty small compared to a real TV or even a laptop computer. What compelling full-length TV or movie content would I want to see on an iPhone that I couldn't see at home or on a much larger laptop screen remotely? Lawrence of Arabia?

I use my DVR to record shows that I want to watch later, on a nice big screen TV. In fact, the thought of being able to stream any video anywhere that I want is pretty off-putting. It's hard enough having a *life* with all the distractions available. In the old days, TV's intrusion into your life was limited by the fact that if a show wasn't being broadcast at the time you were in front of your set, you couldn't see it. VCRs and then DVRs and hundreds of cable channels permit time-shifting. The fact that I'm away from home much of the time helps enforce some discipline. I can't watch my favorite shows when away - good! Maybe I have time to think or interact with other people - in other words have a life! Do people have to constantly be watching TV everywhere like zombies?

I can see where Slingbox on a smart phone might make some sense during extended travel - how else to keep up with Dr. Who? But I don't think that AT&T or Apple are risking losing a lot of customers because of the 3G Slingbox restriction.
  • Reply 69 of 85
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JRoy View Post

...how else to keep up with Dr. Who?

Nerd.
  • Reply 70 of 85
    jroyjroy Posts: 30member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

Nerd.

I thought that Dr. Who is what most of the Slingbox users want to watch. What, am I wrong?
  • Reply 71 of 85
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

You will have to forgive him. He is the biggest Apple and AT&T apologist on this site.

Thank you! Looks like you've returned to these forums as a more magnanimous poster. (Btw, tell us why you went away?).

Or, it's perhaps that you're on your medication.

Add: I can certainly be fairly judged (even if I don't think so) as being an Apple apologist. But ATT? No.
  • Reply 72 of 85
    jake_11jake_11 Posts: 35member
    One thing that raises concern for me is AT&T is admitting their network cannot handle the increased load of the few people who would be using slingbox. If this is really a problem, why are they trying to add another year to their exclusivity contract with Apple. Adding more iPhones to the network will be far worse than allowing users to stream slingbox. I know a lot of people, but only one who has a slingbox and it typically sits unused. I cannot imagine this would be a huge number of users, especially at the the cost of a sling box and the $30 app. I don't disagree that AT&T cannot support the increased usage as they cannot support the usage on their current network in many places. I am a very light user on the voice service of my iPhone, maybe 3 calls per day max and still have 4 dropped calls a week here in Orlando, FL.

I think it is time for Apple to open up the iPhone to other provides.
  • Reply 73 of 85
    Quote:

This is America.

That's a good point. The US is a regulatory disaster when it comes to broadband, both in wifi and wireless.

(Btw, in your quote of my post, you - perhaps accidentally - added stuff that I did not write.......)
  • Reply 74 of 85
    Quote:

Thank you! Looks like you've returned to these forums as a more magnanimous poster. (Btw, tell us why you went away?).

Or, it's perhaps that you're on your medication.

Ask the mods. They will be more than happy to tell you that I was not banned as tenobell put forth and will not back up (yup tenobell, I brought it up again), howver being as magnanimous as I am, and it appears my post was correct, I will fill you in. I took a break because hearing the same mindless, lemmings cheerleading over and over became quite annoying. However, I did find some of the posters here maybe a bit biased but they had good facts, good ideas and were easy to discuss, debate, argue with and still remain civil even if the contest became heated. While I am not an iBoy (fanboy) per se, I am an Apple fan and I can appreciate many to most of the things they do, and I applaud them for their hard work. The mods do a pretty good job of working this site and a hats off to them.

You filled in yet?

btw, do you speak for everyone now? Who is this "us" you mentioned?
  • Reply 75 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

Ask the mods. They will be more than happy to tell you that I was not banned as tenobell put forth and will not back up (yup tenobell, I brought it up again), howver being as magnanimous as I am, and it appears my post was correct, I will fill you in. I took a break because hearing the same mindless, lemmings cheerleading over and over became quite annoying. However, I did find some of the posters here maybe a bit biased but they had good facts, good ideas and were easy to discuss, debate, argue with and still remain civil even if the contest became heated. While I am not an iBoy (fanboy) per se, I am an Apple fan and I can appreciate many to most of the things they do, and I applaud them for their hard work. The mods do a pretty good job of working this site and a hats off to them.

You filled in yet?

btw, do you speak for everyone now? Who is this "us" you mentioned?

Yes. Us is filled in.
  • Reply 76 of 85
    hezekiahbhezekiahb Posts: 448member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KT Walrus View Post

I'm going into my AT&T store and complain about this. I will terminate my plan with them if nothing changes in the next week or two.

To limit my use of their data network from apps I want to use is unacceptable. I'd rather they cap my network usage to whatever amount they want for my $30/month than to restrict the type of applications I can use (and are available).

Apple needs to put its foot down on this one or they are going to have to not renew exclusivity with AT&T. We need some competition here so we can use our iPhones the way we want.

Where's the FCC, didn't cable companies get shot down by FCC for planing to restrict access to certain sites & web content? Isn't that basically the same thing?

Setting a cap is fine, as long as the solution to going over isn't to just start charging you out the wazoo.
  • Reply 77 of 85
    Quote:

Add: I can certainly be fairly judged (even if I don't think so) as being an Apple apologist. But ATT? No.

You're right- that title belongs to your buddy, solipism.
  • Reply 78 of 85
    taskisstaskiss Posts: 1,212member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JRoy View Post

What is the great motivation for streaming video from home to the iPhone that has so many people raging against AT&T here?

"Because they can" it seems...

I ripped a few of my dvd's and put them on my iPhone when I got it, just to do it. Now, the only time I watch video is pretty much just when I wait outside the fitting room when my wife is trying on new clothes.

I suspect that AT&T has plans to offer streaming video as a pay per view service somewhere in the future and they don't want the competition. That's not an unreasonable behavior on their part.
  • Reply 79 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Taskiss View Post

I suspect that AT&T has plans to offer streaming video as a pay per view service somewhere in the future and they don't want the competition. That's not an unreasonable behavior on their part.

Those greedy bastards!
  • Reply 80 of 85
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Why is no one up in arms about a $30 app for a device that you would have already paid $150 for to use? The price seems excessive for the App Store.

Quote:

Ok

???

I've mentioned that many times. The whole text message thing is oligopoly, IMO. I hope the senator who was looking into it is still working on it. I see no reason why the costs would be so high and growing.