An alternative argument for new iPhones at WWDC

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 86
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You are correct. I am sure that we'll have someone create an account just to bash the iPhone because it doesn't with the non-existent 4G. Seriously, I'd be surprised if that didn't happen.

Either way, you'll still defend AT&T to the depths of its trollish service, seriously.
  • Reply 82 of 86
    hiimamachiimamac Posts: 584member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

And the thought plickens....

well well well.

After many months of stating apple could be in trouble and all my hype about Palm Pre, here's an apple pro sounding like he took a page from my rants. LOL. You guys, in all seriousness, I have always been order close when it comes to tech predictions. Called the intel transition years (or x86), before it happened and used to day trade tech stocks.

Apple could be racing it's worst years ever. Again;

MSFT= win 7 one os and server os unlike vista which bombed, they had to support a lot of os machines.

IT very interested in win 7

Many touch devices

Win mobile 6.5 very mac like

Palm pre and other smart phones= media streaming, not just YouTube but like Apple TV and more, MPEG, xvid, flash

Contracts expiring for millions of iPhone users

AT&T rates high while others are lowering

No 3G for slingbox, not even relevent on other smart phones

Apple iPod sales falling flat before bad economy

iPhone sales saturated

Netbook pricing putting apple in a difficult position as they have the air, pro and MacBook models.

I think 09/2010, unless aple changes pricing, devices and partners with carriers, they will see someof the worst years and if win 7 has even a small hype to it(it's much larger than vista ever was), this means a lot if PC sales.
  • Reply 83 of 86
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

iPhone sales saturated

Netbook pricing putting apple in a difficult position as they have the air, pro and MacBook models.

I think 09/2010, unless aple changes pricing, devices and partners with carriers, they will see someof the worst years and if win 7 has even a small hype to it(it's much larger than vista ever was), this means a lot if PC sales.

The first part of your list is accurate, but the 2nd half, which I quoted, is not.

?*Contracts are expiring, but a good majority of those original iPhone users did get the iPhone 3G when it came out. Since there was only profit sharing, no subsidization model, every iPhone user was eligible. Even if there those with the original iPhone remember that these people first bought it at $600 and the iPhone has a very approval rating. I don't think Apple is too worried about losing customers, especially now that the App Store is another tie in to their ecosystem.

? You are correct that other rates lowered, but that was to better compete with the iPhone's low unlimited data plan, which itself raised $10/month. Considering the device was had for $200 less it's only $40 more over 2 years for 3G. When the iPhone first came out it was $20/month awhile AT&T's other phones and other carriers were $40-$50/month. I think we'll see more options for rate plans, but the rates are on par with every other carrier and the iPhone is probably partly responsible for the nationwide drop in unlimited data rates.

? The no 3G on SlingBox is a pain, especially when Orb will stream from your Windows-based PC over 3G and EDGE, but the real kicker is that they charge $30 for the app. Why this isn't discussed is beyond me. The other devices have SlingPlayers on their phones because the handset vendor, much less the carrier, can control what apps can be installed on the device. I can see how Apple's App Store policies and their carrier relationship can be a pain, but you take the good with the bad. If this is a bother then there are other handsets to choose from. OH yeah, Orb needs to get a Mac Client built.

? Their sales were up a few percent, which is impressive in this economy, with as many units as they sell, the fact that iPhone sales take away from iPod sales and with as long as people have been saying that Apple can't grow their iPod sales. They are making Apple a lot of money and they will continue to do so even when they eventually have negative growth.

? The iPhone is far from being saturated. Apple's Q4 will show a huge tick in iPhone sales.

? I have bought 2 netbooks and neither one is a replacement for a real notebook. They aren't also portable enough to keep with me all times like the iPhone. They work well in a pinch, which is why I bought my 2nd one, but it is not a good experience. I don't know of anyone that has replaced their notebook for a netbook as their main PC. My first one was so I could install OS X to check out how it ran.

? Windows 7 is great for a version of Windows. I've installed it on my 2nd netbook. Works great. It's not any faster than Vista or XP, but it comes with most of the bells and whistles of Vista while using a lot less resources, but most of all it's stable, though Vista is stable at this point, too. It will do well for MS, but Vista also made them a lot of money. Apple has more marketshare than ever before and can survive with a lot less, as we've seen. Apple beating MS in OS market share is a pointless goal, while Apple grabbing more profitable, higher-end marketshare from other PC vendors is a excellent goal.

? What you asking is for Apple to change everything that is working to everything that is not working for other vendors. They did just have a record year-over-year quarter.
  • Reply 84 of 86
    hiimamachiimamac Posts: 584member
    I agree wtb some of your points. Nicely dine. However, I really see Apple in a bit of a bind here. Right now we are seeing the air sell for under $1000 and I feel that windows 7 combined with al the pre branding that msft is doing, plus mobile 6.5, I think they will stop the bleeding of switchers, a large number of mac sales.

If you look at msft from a micro pov, all they have to do is partner with one good phone, that steams tv/media and touch with a decent app store and the phone could be a great success. Cranky, I think the Palm is the most dangerous to Apple and they are waiti g fir the right moment. If it ties in with any large msft release, I think apple could be in trouble. People are wising up to hardware and if course, understanding the overall experience. If msft was to come up with a competing package to iLife, I think that would be game set, match and there is no reason why that Doud not happen. Imagine if they purchased the Sony division if vegas acid and acdsed. Not that they will I'd could due to laws, I think it's ironic that msft gets bashed when in fact their hands are tied as in theory they could not only purchase those divisions but adobe as well. Now, that said I see no reason why they can't come out with something very iLife. Overall, this would be what most switchers define as experience, not workflow, expose, dock. Mac os by far is superior but at the same time, msft media center DVD tv is quite amazing. Adds consumer recording, video, pdf, web app and they're all set. Probably won't happen but who knows.

This doesn't include what could happen in the smart phone arena. You say app store and I agree but bybthis time next year, all vendors will have app stores and I see adobe and flash playing a very large role, this the lack of it on the iPhone.

I've said this before but anything that competes with itunes or apple tv means the iPhone will never live up to it's full potential. Apple will keep crippling it which is a shame as it could be a great media device, eg non rentals/sales amd this is the future ofvsmart phones. Not some silly iLife iMovie uploading new program for recording camping trips in Rome with your iphone, especially if its non live and just shared i promise this is what the new feature will be which they will use to sidetrack questions about media streaming, flash, voip, teethering you watch. LOL. Always smoke and mirrors to sidetrack the LACK of a feature thats truly deisired.

Peace.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The first part of your list is accurate, but the 2nd half, which I quoted, is not.

?*Contracts are expiring, but a good majority of those original iPhone users did get the iPhone 3G when it came out. Since there was only profit sharing, no subsidization model, every iPhone user was eligible. Even if there those with the original iPhone remember that these people first bought it at $600 and the iPhone has a very approval rating. I don't think Apple is too worried about losing customers, especially now that the App Store is another tie in to their ecosystem.

? You are correct that other rates lowered, but that was to better compete with the iPhone's low unlimited data plan, which itself raised $10/month. Considering the device was had for $200 less it's only $40 more over 2 years for 3G. When the iPhone first came out it was $20/month awhile AT&T's other phones and other carriers were $40-$50/month. I think we'll see more options for rate plans, but the rates are on par with every other carrier and the iPhone is probably partly responsible for the nationwide drop in unlimited data rates.

? The no 3G on SlingBox is a pain, especially when Orb will stream from your Windows-based PC over 3G and EDGE, but the real kicker is that they charge $30 for the app. Why this isn't discussed is beyond me. The other devices have SlingPlayers on their phones because the handset vendor, much less the carrier, can control what apps can be installed on the device. I can see how Apple's App Store policies and their carrier relationship can be a pain, but you take the good with the bad. If this is a bother then there are other handsets to choose from. OH yeah, Orb needs to get a Mac Client built.

? Their sales were up a few percent, which is impressive in this economy, with as many units as they sell, the fact that iPhone sales take away from iPod sales and with as long as people have been saying that Apple can't grow their iPod sales. They are making Apple a lot of money and they will continue to do so even when they eventually have negative growth.

? The iPhone is far from being saturated. Apple's Q4 will show a huge tick in iPhone sales.

? I have bought 2 netbooks and neither one is a replacement for a real notebook. They aren't also portable enough to keep with me all times like the iPhone. They work well in a pinch, which is why I bought my 2nd one, but it is not a good experience. I don't know of anyone that has replaced their notebook for a netbook as their main PC. My first one was so I could install OS X to check out how it ran.

? Windows 7 is great for a version of Windows. I've installed it on my 2nd netbook. Works great. It's not any faster than Vista or XP, but it comes with most of the bells and whistles of Vista while using a lot less resources, but most of all it's stable, though Vista is stable at this point, too. It will do well for MS, but Vista also made them a lot of money. Apple has more marketshare than ever before and can survive with a lot less, as we've seen. Apple beating MS in OS market share is a pointless goal, while Apple grabbing more profitable, higher-end marketshare from other PC vendors is a excellent goal.

? What you asking is for Apple to change everything that is working to everything that is not working for other vendors. They did just have a record year-over-year quarter.

• Reply 85 of 86
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

well well well.

After many months of stating apple could be in trouble and all my hype about Palm Pre, here's an apple pro sounding like he took a page from my rants. LOL. You guys, in all seriousness, I have always been order close when it comes to tech predictions. Called the intel transition years (or x86), before it happened and used to day trade tech stocks.

Apple could be racing it's worst years ever. Again;

MSFT= win 7 one os and server os unlike vista which bombed, they had to support a lot of os machines.

IT very interested in win 7

Many touch devices

Win mobile 6.5 very mac like

Palm pre and other smart phones= media streaming, not just YouTube but like Apple TV and more, MPEG, xvid, flash

iPhone sales saturated

Either you have a poor grasp of consumer habits, or you're ignoring history.
  • Reply 86 of 86
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Jeez I hope they don't go with "iPad." Dumbest. Name. Ever.

All it suggests is a product designed to sop up various disgusting human effluents.

Disgusting? Effluent? It's just menstrual blood. Seen a vagina lately?