Mac sales better than feared in April following desktop refresh

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I think you might be strawmanning brucep's statement. But it's not such a bad thing to want the company to stay strong, if you like the product and it does well by you. I think better than the people that seem to be offended that Apple makes a profit, that Apple dares to try to make a profit despite the industry's troubles.

I bought at $7 a share . .

apple back then had 4 billion in cash

they now have 19 billion in cash

once you buy into the apple world with a couple of laptops > 2 or 3 pods and maybe the itouch or iphone . you find the apple world is rich with great free content or cheap stuff like 99 cent songs

Tons of free app.'s now also . i mean 7000 songs in my pocket . that is still amazing to me back in the 1980 ish time's a walkman cassete was the big thing.

So I sit here playing a tech-pod cast or going to itunes U and learning something or I maybe i wanna make a full spectrum movie with my own songs my own voice my own photo's with all my raw video on my 13 in black mac book and 500 g lacie right All on one screen There Just a click away .

Maybe I wanna take my 39 best rare live pink floyd songs and burn a great c d with every other song a live Hendrix track .

and simply give 29 different versions of this away to friends

hey maybe i put this up at mobile me

live floyd .. free to the world

i have only touched on a few out of many things i do with apple

seamless no crash no cold apple

Whats to bitch about ??

the glossy screen rocks

James bond looked good today .

if other pc companies can match or better apple then good for them

alas i bet their web sites are not like this one

hmmm inside MSFT

or inside bill gates ???? what fun window people must have ...

sorry for long meandering post . apple does not need me to defend herself>>>> that 19 billion on cash is enough ...

And too the dozens of small companies that exist to feed the apple market .I bet they love apple too .

apple fucks up all the time . at times they fix it fast . apple is still a cold unfeeling company that is around only to make money . peridot .

and to bitch about glossy this or at&t that to apple is like screaming naked at a brickk wall .
  • Reply 22 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Was that $4B in cash or a value as a company of $4B?

BTW, they have $29B in cash right now and a marketcap of $113B. By comparison Micorsoft?s marketcap is $183B.

wow 29 bill

wow

i wish they would buy something with that cash .. like a chip company ???

peace 9
  • Reply 23 of 43
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

wow 29 bill

wow

i wish they would buy something with that cash .. like a chip company ???

peace 9

That kind of cash on hand does afford them a lot of breathing room if the economy goes south. It also lets them pay for things in a way that other companies with small reserves can?t.

I also wonder if they have a plan for that cash, but I can?t image what they could be saving up for if it is for some big future purchase.
  • Reply 24 of 43
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I don't see Apple making any large acquisitions but I do see them using their funds to get great deals on NAND memory and other components.

They've bought heaps of NAND and they've invested in Imagination and LG. Apple's all about getting a nice spot in line for components.

A good portion of Mac sales are laptops and frankly the Netbook craze doesn't obivate the need for a laptop with larger screens and more power.

I think Apple's next step is to deliver a MID device before the lackey's out there even realize or can adequately define the subject.

I'd love to have a touch screen tablet device that runs full on OS X though a specialized tablet version.

Mini DisplayPort out and Bluetooth for wireless keyboard and mouse access.

Make it $600 with decent NAND memory and RAM and I'm a happy camper.
  • Reply 25 of 43
    schmidm77schmidm77 Posts: 223member
    I've had a few iMacs now, and I just bought a MacBook Pro over the weekend since I'm traveling more for work these days. I've never been fond of using notebooks and touch pads especially, but I have to say amazing computing experience, and worth every penny of the selling price.
  • Reply 26 of 43
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Only people listening to the "talking head" version of net journalist thought

Apple was in real trouble.

It was "netbook this...netbook that" yawn.

Today the difficulty is in getting decent net info that isn't laced with siren song calls to come visit the site and make our advertisers happy.

Apple's doing just fine and will continue to do fine as long as they stay a few steps ahead of the competition.

An Apple branded netbook would still be nice. I'd buy one in a heartbeat if it was subsidized by AT&T or the like.

As for doomed because they don't have one is a laugh. Most of those netbooks run linux or XP.
  • Reply 27 of 43
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

It's funny, people in the forum say these analysts don't know what they are doing. Then when the company slips sales it's seen as a coup because it wasn't as much as the analyst predicted. Interesting...

The data was from NPD not some independent work done by analyst Munster, though Munster is probably the best of the bunch. Munster periodically sends people to count sales at several Apple Stores, and a couple of other analysts have good sources in the supply chain. The remaining analysts, I think, just read and repeat the rumor sites, including AI, and make up the rest.

Anyway, analysts expect Mac sales to drop by 10% this quarter but during the first month of this quarter, which could be the worst of the three months as the recession pressure recedes somewhat, Mac sales only dropped 1.8% (as measured by retail sales). By the end of June, I think it's more likely that Mac sales come in flat than are down by 10%, except if K-12 school spending falls off a cliff. And if that looks likely, I can see Apple counter by starting its school promotion (buy a Mac, get an iPod) earlier in June.

By the way, if that 1.8% decline holds up, I believe Apple continues to gain market share (excluding netbooks). PC laptop/desktop sales declines will be greater than 1.8%.
  • Reply 28 of 43
    nano_tubenano_tube Posts: 114member
    What interests me the most are the mac pro sales.

They are priced so high compared to the last model, that i am pretty sure their sales dropped significantly - or at least i hope so. I would love to buy one but not at the current price range.

• Reply 29 of 43
    Quote:

That kind of cash on hand does afford them a lot of breathing room if the economy goes south. It also lets them pay for things in a way that other companies with small reserves can?t.

I also wonder if they have a plan for that cash, but I can?t image what they could be saving up for if it is for some big future purchase.

THINK HARD what is the one piece missing from the world of apple .

i feel its a groundbreaking graphics drawing painting 3 d software program.that renders with little cpu usage and is simple to use .

and a 4oo dollar kids finger tablet .

what do you feel is missing dude ??
  • Reply 30 of 43
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:

Just because a company has a better business model than another company and they?ve planned better than other companies means they should be allowed to make a profit?

No...Apple has to fail like every other company!
  • Reply 31 of 43
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    So what.

Show me the Q4 results. Then this will acually mean something.

Apple has already had some record quarters, even during this recession, which completely blew away expectations, while everyone else was eating losses like it's nobody's business.
  • Reply 32 of 43
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

I also wonder if they have a plan for that cash, but I can’t image what they could be saving up for if it is for some big future purchase.

Come on, it's obvious isn't it? They're saving up to buy Microsoft! They're almost a quarter of the way there!

Edit: Adobe's going cheap at the moment: $13.87B. Apple have easily enough for a hostile take-over if they are so inclined.
  • Reply 33 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Come on, it's obvious isn't it? They're saving up to buy Microsoft! They're almost a quarter of the way there!

Off topic:

Apostrophes are simple - they are used to indicate either missing letters or possession. Missing letters take precedence. So:

it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.

Non-possessive plurals don't have apostrophes.

Thank you!

I see this garbage at work all the time. Form's. Document's. Report's. Every time I see this I want to jam my thumbs into my eyesockets Blade Runner-style.

The worst is "irregardless." AAARGGHH!!!

"Revert back" is right up there, too.
  • Reply 34 of 43
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Wow a recent refresh in the Mac line = increased sales? Who'd have thought?!?!
  • Reply 35 of 43
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Off topic:

Apostrophes are simple - they are used to indicate either missing letters or possession. Missing letters take precedence. So:

it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.

Non-possessive plurals don't have apostrophes.

Thank you!

I see this garbage at work all the time. Form's. Document's. Report's. Every time I see this I want to jam my thumbs into my eyesockets Blade Runner-style.

The worst is "irregardless." AAARGGHH!!!

"Revert back" is right up there, too.

Mr. H is pretty militant about it. He's stated it's a pet peeve and I'm sure he holds himself back, but most importantly he contributes a good stuff here do I don't crack on him about it as much as I probably would normally.

BTW, I love saying irregardless dimply because it's wrong. Huh, the iPhone spell checker didn't offer to fix it.
  • Reply 36 of 43
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

PS: Did Apple?s profit go up with this new device?s higher price, or is it balanced by higher costs.

Perhaps we'll never know because it may be considered a hobby like the AppleTV.
  • Reply 37 of 43
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Duh- right?
  • Reply 38 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Schiller: Hey Tim, I just remembered. Shouldn't we update the iMacs?

Cook: iM . . acs . . ?? What are those?

Schiller: You know, those all-in-ones we used to really push.

Cook: I . . . I'm not following, Phil.

Schiller: Well you know, with the built-in iSight . . .

Cook: Phil, sorry man, but I still don't know what you're talking about. You feeling ok? All we do are iPhones, iPods, and a few notebooks. Scott was talking about something called the "Mac Mini" the other day, but I told hm we don't make iPod Minis aymore. Oh, and we have a few Mac Pros. I mean, just today I had a customer tell me he'll be taking out a second mortgage to get one. They're all the rage, Phil.

Schiller: *sigh* . . . never mind, I'll take care of it myself . . .
  • Reply 39 of 43
    doughoildoughoil Posts: 2member
    I would like a clarification of investment jargon? When Piper Jafrey (or anyone) predicts a future stock value there must be some kind of time frame associated with the prediction. $180 before the end of the universe or within the next year, or what?
  • Reply 40 of 43
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Only people listening to the "talking head" version of net journalist thought

Apple was in real trouble.

It was "netbook this...netbook that" yawn.

Today the difficulty is in getting decent net info that isn't laced with siren song calls to come visit the site and make our advertisers happy.

Apple's doing just fine and will continue to do fine as long as they stay a few steps ahead of the competition.

I know I"m laughing my butt off. all this talk about the company being hurt because Steve took medical leave, cause of ATT's rate plans on the iphone, cause they waited too long to release new desktops, cause they don't have a netbook.

but no mention of the fact that we are in the middle of an economy down slump and near recession and all retail companies are down in sales.