Mac sales better than feared in April following desktop refresh

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 43
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doughoil View Post

I would like a clarification of investment jargon? When Piper Jafrey (or anyone) predicts a future stock value there must be some kind of time frame associated with the prediction. $180 before the end of the universe or within the next year, or what?

Those are one-year target prices. They don't mean very much, but it's interesting to see them go up and down, though based on what is never clear.
  • Reply 42 of 43
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I know I"m laughing my butt off. all this talk about the company being hurt because Steve took medical leave, cause of ATT's rate plans on the iphone, cause they waited too long to release new desktops, cause they don't have a netbook.

but no mention of the fact that we are in the middle of an economy down slump and near recession and all retail companies are down in sales.

Hear hear. Journalism has really fallen a long ways. Murrow must be turning in his grave. Nowadays it's just a bunch of people out there screaming for attention without any accountability.

Macs are simply NOT that expensive. They have a computer for every price band save for the Netbook class. What people complain about is not being able to buy an iMac at Mac mini pricing. It's the consumers job to pay the least for products and services and the vendors job to get them to pay the most. A virtual never-ending tug-o-war.

I think Apple's sales will continue to rise and the huge bonanza is the iPhone/iPod Touch which will give way to some sort of MID device that is really gonna rock the establishment.

Fast forward a few years and Apple's hardware (mobile non laptop) will be running their own customed designed chips. The company is aligned well for future expansion and profits and MobilMe will become an integral part of Apple computing.

I'm envious of people that own Apple stock. It's going to do very well.
  • Reply 43 of 43
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Hear hear. Journalism has really fallen a long ways. Murrow must be turning in his grave. Nowadays it's just a bunch of people out there screaming for attention without any accountability.

In business reporting it's conventional and acceptable to manufacture a reason for anything that happens. This is why you so often hear, "the markets rose today on hopes of _____," or "the markets fell today on fears of _____." How you fill in the blank is almost completely arbitrary, because in reality we hardly ever know why a market rose or fell on any particular day, we know only that they go up on hope and down on fear.