More of Apple's Snow Leopard caught on camera

Comments

• Reply 41 of 68
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    I undersand that all members of the elite fraturnity of WWDC cant discuss leopard, but if there is one out there willing to break that rule, I would love to know the one thing that these videos really do not show: is it faster? did all the code tweaks make a killer difference? a $129 difference?

I must say, from the videos and the blurbs on apple.com, I owuldnt pay more than $20 for it...what is there that makes it worth it?
  • Reply 42 of 68
    martinzmartinz Posts: 92member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

Guys... do you think Apple would start changing the look of apps randomly?

I guess (and hope) this is part of the new UI look...

They would not be 'starting' to do this. They randomly changed the Finder to brushed metal in Panther; randomly changed Mail and a few others to something in-between and inconsistent in Panther; randomly changed the scrollbars in iTunes and then a few other iApps; just randomly changed Safari to a brand new ugly-tabs-on-top interface; randomly completely changed the Dock in Leopard.

Personally I was more hoping that they had gotten over it, but instead maybe it's just starting all over again.
  • Reply 43 of 68
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MartiNZ View Post

They would not be 'starting' to do this. They randomly changed the Finder to brushed metal in Panther; randomly changed Mail and a few others to something in-between and inconsistent in Panther; randomly changed the scrollbars in iTunes and then a few other iApps; just randomly changed Safari to a brand new ugly-tabs-on-top interface; randomly completely changed the Dock in Leopard.

Personally I was more hoping that they had gotten over it, but instead maybe it's just starting all over again.

That has been a long standing annoying habit for a company that prides itself on the little details and uniformity of how the OS functions. It?s purely superficial but it would be nice to have it consistent.

I think that this new WTX look is very similar to the way the OS will look come next month. With their Mac displays almost all having a glass display with a nice black rim I think the screen will look quite stylish with this new border and richer icons for the Dock.
  • Reply 44 of 68
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:

It's possible it may be starting all over again but it is hard for me to believe that you would be redesigning an OS and the first major redesign of an app is to make it look out of place. I would think  is better than that. I wouldn't expect black all over the place but enough to darken the theme up a little to match ilife and the new hardware.
  • Reply 45 of 68
    martinzmartinz Posts: 92member
    Good point about the black matching the black rims on the new Macs.

Interestingly, wasn't QuickTime the first thing to break the mould and go all ugly and brushed metal back in OS 9, followed by the release of iTunes?
  • Reply 46 of 68
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    Quote:

Good point about the black matching the black rims on the new Macs.

Interestingly, wasn't QuickTime the first thing to break the mould and go all ugly and brushed metal back in OS 9, followed by the release of iTunes?

Except that the aluminum iMacs with black-rimmed displays debuted with Tiger. When Leopard shipped later on, it mimicked those iMacs.

I'm not saying Apple couldn't still do it, but that aforementioned logic doesn't seem to work.

Here's basically what such a change might look like:

You can produce it yourself with command-option-ctrl-8.

I wouldn't hold your breath for title bars to go the QuickTime X route though, as most have buttons right beneath them. Coloring the top of the window black or the whole thing black would look pretty garish (and Windows Media Player 11ish).

But I have to say, I'm not totally against the inverted Menu Bar. It would match the iPhone's Menu Bar:

• Reply 47 of 68
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

Except that the aluminum iMacs with black-rimmed displays debuted with Tiger. When Leopard shipped later on, it mimicked those iMacs.

I'm not saying Apple couldn't still do it, but that aforementioned logic doesn't seem to work.

I wouldn't hold your breath for title bars to go the QuickTime X route though, as most have buttons right beneath them. Coloring the top of the window black or the whole thing black would look pretty garish (and Windows Media Player 11ish).

But I have to say, I'm not totally against the inverted Menu Bar. It would match the iPhone's Menu Bar:

I would only want the menu bar also otherwise it would be overdone.
  • Reply 48 of 68
    mshockmshock Posts: 21member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

I think you're right. I would like to see a deeper GUI interface overlap between OS X and iPhone OS X. That means more black glass and black bars. I hope the aqua bars go away for the translucent black scroll bars on the iPhone.
  • Reply 49 of 68
    i really hope the entire OS theme gets switched to match QT. looks great and fits better with everything from apple recently.
  • Reply 50 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MShock View Post

I think you're right. I would like to see a deeper GUI interface overlap between OS X and iPhone OS X. That means more black glass and black bars. I hope the aqua bars go away for the translucent black scroll bars on the iPhone.

At the very least I want iTunes matte scroll bars, but yes, the iPhone's disappearing scroll bars would be ideal. They've already been implemented into Snow Leopard's new handling of Stacks navigation, so at least there's a precedent, right?

What's interesting is that the iPhone now has Aqua-like elements, namely in MobileSafari, which has Safari 3's inline loading bar. Perhaps Apple will develop a new way to show loading other than Safari 4's spinner.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by macmeister92 View Post

i really hope the entire OS theme gets switched to match QT. looks great and fits better with everything from apple recently.

But how many applications have simple title bars like QuickTime? Most have button bars right below them. I don't see SL going the Vista-black-Areo "Look Ma! Transparent EVERYTHING!" interface. Most changes to Mac OS X's UI are gradual and subtle. Apple hasn't been moving towards black title bars, they've been moving toward subdued title+button bars.

To suddenly paint all app title+button bars black would be both drastic and it would make the whole Mac experience pretty gloomy. Most iPhone apps don't employ a black theme unless it makes sense: video playing.
  • Reply 51 of 68

-

• Reply 52 of 68
    Quote:

Originally Posted by View Post

disappearing scoll bars dissaperead in the latest build. Now it's dark grey plain bar (and not disppearing). I'll post a shot later.

Bah! Well, still looking forward to your screenshot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by View Post

For Safari 4, there is a spinner but check the original thread linked on the article and you'll see that Safari 4 got a "Loading" icone (dark glass blue).

I saw that, though it was black glass. Maybe they could make it fill up like a load bar. It would be a nice compromise between spinners and the old Safari 3 loading bar within the web address field.

• Reply 53 of 68
    macfindermacfinder Posts: 32member
    Guys, it's just beta version - I'm more than confident that in the final version

a lot of things will be different in comparison to beta. Like with 10.5.

Believe, Apple has a lot of different schemes,

and have a lot of time to choose the best as default.
  • Reply 54 of 68
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Apple-branded screen capture appearing on the surface and not in Applications/Utilities is nice feature.

...yawn...
  • Reply 55 of 68
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Any chance that we can use built-in security to block OUTGOING requests as well (a la Little Snitch)?
  • Reply 56 of 68
    knightlieknightlie Posts: 282member
    Looks great, particularly the new Image Capture, which was always very clunky IMO.
  • Reply 57 of 68
    oh-es-tenoh-es-ten Posts: 53member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

I undersand that all members of the elite fraturnity of WWDC cant discuss leopard, but if there is one out there willing to break that rule, I would love to know the one thing that these videos really do not show: is it faster? did all the code tweaks make a killer difference? a $129 difference?

I must say, from the videos and the blurbs on apple.com, I owuldnt pay more than $20 for it...what is there that makes it worth it?

I am not an ADC Select Member, but occasionally sit next to one, and had a quick run through of SL with them the other day.

I can tell you that the entire system (even in the current debug state) is very snappy - especially Finder, which really shows they have re-written in Cocoa.

I think the performance (even running 10.5 apps) is a big selling point - although I am sure an interface change will be on the horizon, as it looks just too similar for the average user to see anything different.

Oh, and the font in Terminal is now anti-aliased... finally

I for one, would upgrade for sure, no 'killer feature' that we can see so far I'll admit, but it is the attention to detail and refinement of an already brilliant OS which makes it worthwhile for me.
  • Reply 58 of 68
    Sorry, some kind of trolling... What is this?

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/673/46129197.jpg
  • Reply 59 of 68
    Extra post.
  • Reply 60 of 68
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post

Note to people making videos: Leave your crappy songs out of it. Nobody wants to hear them.

Ha. Agreed!