Apple to answer netbook market with $500-$700 tablet - report

Comments

• Reply 161 of 243
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

If you were on this forum longer, you'd understand the annoyance.

I've been on this forum a lot longer than you, and I think you're being a jerk.

teckstud doesn't (usually ) mindlessly complain, and yes sometimes he borders on troll-ism, but mostly he just likes playing devils advocate. In fact it's what makes discourse around here interesting. I'm not championing being negative by any means (I'd like a little more positivity around here in fact) and every now and then I ignore a couple of posts, but don't just jump on the hater bandwagon because you don't agree with an opinion or thought. This is what forums are for, discussion, regardless of whether or not your opinion matches those of others.

So far in this thread teckstud has given relatively collected responses even though he's been called a dipshit, whiner and a troll. You guys seem to love throwing insults around, but the second he gets irritable and posts a retort all hell breaks loose ... seems a little unfair to me, no?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

why is everyone fighting on a apple web site ???

It didn't used to be like this. Apple got popular and suddenly a bunch more people signed up and started posting here. With so many opinions being batted around, things get a little dicey.

I do miss the creativity and positivity Apple used to inspire, now it's just arguments left, right and centre, which makes me wonder why I post here anymore? \

Jimzip
  • Reply 162 of 243
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

ST- the original. BSG was the 70's I think. New ST was great- saw it the other night at the Ziegfeld here in NYC (the last giant screened theater). Audience applauded at the end.

We live in Alexandria, Va, so we saw it on one of these pitiful little screens at Maza Gallery in DC/MD.

It was absolutely great. My wife loved it too, which is a mark to how great it was. She's very discerning, easily bored, and had nothing good to say about the trailers, but loved the final result when we saw it in the theaters.

I remember the Original BSG, with the monkey in the space suit looking thing, an attempt at a futuristic dog/pet. It was good for it's time, but it was just very "Buck Rogers".

I feel the new one was a better take on the concept, story, and genre.
  • Reply 163 of 243
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jimzip View Post

I've been on this forum a lot longer than you, and I think you're being a jerk.

teckstud doesn't (usually ) mindlessly complain, and yes sometimes he borders on troll-ism, but mostly he just likes playing devils advocate. In fact it's what makes discourse around here interesting. I'm not championing being negative by any means (I'd like a little more positivity around here in fact) and every now and then I ignore a couple of posts, but don't just jump on the hater bandwagon because you don't agree with an opinion or thought. This is what forums are for, discussion, regardless of whether or not your opinion matches those of others.

So far in this thread teckstud has given relatively collected responses even though he's been called a dipshit, whiner and a troll. You guys seem to love throwing insults around, but the second he gets irritable and posts a retort all hell breaks loose ... seems a little unfair to me, no?

It didn't used to be like this. Apple got popular and suddenly a bunch more people signed up and started posting here. With so many opinions being batted around, things get a little dicey.

I do miss the creativity and positivity Apple used to inspire, now it's just arguments left, right and centre, which makes me wonder why I post here anymore? \

Jimzip

That is exactly what I have been attempting to illustrate and convey.

Thank you. I just hope the remainder can be as observant, conscientious and civil as this.
  • Reply 164 of 243
    nano_tubenano_tube Posts: 114member
    Apple's take on the netbook market... yeah right

with a 500$ to 700$ machine. What a bunch of morons. I am not saying the machine is bad or anything, in fact I am pretty sure it will be cool, but Apple is living in lala land if they think this device has anything to do with the netbook market.

Anyway... will be interesting to see.
  • Reply 165 of 243
    maxmannmaxmann Posts: 85member
    - it will be revolutionary

- it will be presented in a special event this summer by Steve Jobs, celebrating his return to the public

- it will be available in time for the holiday season

what do you think?[/QUOTE]

I think that is a very savvy observation considering the rumors that have been floating around..

i think you have predicted the most sophisticated consumer electronics product introduced since the ipod.

I think the form factor you predict is right on with being the perfect alternative to a screen too small on the phone and a device too big in a computer. This is what i will have with me on all of my trips - from overseas to the coffee house.

I think it is a no brainer it is coming, and that they have been working on it for well over two years. It will have proprietary components designed by apple. it will be a leap year ahead of everything else just like the ipod and iphone were when they were introduced.

I think it will be software rich .. for free.. and hardware cool for $.. it will bottom out at 499.

i think the phone providers like ATT, Verizon and Sprint will all sell this product along side retailers selling computers..

I think small business and institutions will use this device with with their own apps designed just for their own day to day operations. Nurses, doctors, salesmen, contractors and students will all have unique applications suited to them personally and their jobs when using this device..

I think this product will re-define Apple in the rest of the world as the unquestioned leader of consumer electronics just like Sony in the 80's..
  • Reply 166 of 243
    jaketherockjaketherock Posts: 286member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

hmm, wonder how that would look, a single milled piece of aluminum, 6mm thick, all touchscreen. anyone want to make a mockup?

I will!

Front

back

I just found a random OSX screenshot online, and I only spent like 2 hours on it, so it's not totally wicked or anything..

EDIT:

I also only rendered at high quality, so they are kind of huge.
  • Reply 167 of 243
    p lp l Posts: 64member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Interestingly, my netbook can do a lot more than my old 12" Powerbook G4. It can even play back 720p H.264 video. The PB can't even play back 480p H.264. And the 12" PB was no inexpensive laptop. That's on top of the occasional Dreamweaver, Fireworks and even Photoshop work I do on my "expensive internet browser."

The article says the Apple device will have the same 7-10" screen as all existing netbooks, so your complaint would apply to that device as well.

Oh Good, now we're gonna dis 90's tech against now tech!
  • Reply 168 of 243
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

hmm, wonder how that would look, a single milled piece of aluminum, 6mm thick, all touchscreen. anyone want to make a mockup?

Heheh, I'd love to but I'm at work!

Actually while we're on that, a gallery section of AI would be pretty sweet ... somewhere to put all these mocks.

Mmm?

Jimzip
  • Reply 169 of 243
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by P L View Post

Oh Good, now we're gonna dis 90's tech against now tech!

Uh, you just destroyed all your Mac cred there. The 12" Powerbook G4 was introduced in 2003.
  • Reply 170 of 243
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

That's a very good point. How do Apple ensure people view it as an "excellent iPhone" and not a "crap computer?"

They make it super thin and light and market it to university students.
  • Reply 171 of 243
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JakeTheRock View Post

I will!

Front

back

I just found a random OSX screenshot online, and I only spent like 2 hours on it, so it's not totally wicked or anything..

EDIT:

I also only rendered at high quality, so they are kind of huge.

That's pretty well done and tasteful, but I think Apple just introduced a white paper showing they are interested in working in carbon fiber now.

It's a lot to ask, but since I have no talent in this area, could you produce one in CF so we could have an idea what that may look like?

Great work, btw.....
  • Reply 172 of 243
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by harleighquinn View Post

That's pretty well done and tasteful, but I think Apple just introduced a white paper showing they are interested in working in carbon fiber now.

It's a lot to ask, but since I have no talent in this area, could you produce one in CF so we could have an idea what that may look like?

Great work, btw.....

I can try, i'd just have to find a CF texture or something...
  • Reply 173 of 243
    I am writing this on my MacBook Air, which is a great netbook - much better than the wife's plain MacBook. It is light, it is not too hot to the touch, and the screen/keyboard are great. While I like the MBAir a lot, there are times when I miss my Table PC (horror): making notes. There is no better way to take notes/brainstorm in a lecture/meeting than a tablet. Unobtrusive, free-form, mind-map with a pen/stylus. Having said that, the Table PC gathers dust: it is too thick, too heavy, too hot when holding it like a note-pad, too noisy (fan/heat/CPU), in a word too cumbersome. I would love a thin, A4/letterhead-size, light, power-optimised Apple tablet I could hand-write notes on, read books, play games, watch videos, do conf-calls/video telephony (iChat/Skype) or simply show off photos/presentations. Yesterday.
  • Reply 174 of 243
    Quote:

I can try, i'd just have to find a CF texture or something...

Let me see what I can find.

What do you need?
  • Reply 175 of 243
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by harleighquinn View Post

Let me see what I can find.

What do you need?

I found one, and it's rendering
  • Reply 176 of 243
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kosmopolak View Post

I am writing this on my MacBook Air, which is a great netbook - much better than the wife's plain MacBook. It is light, it is not too hot to the touch, and the screen/keyboard are great. While I like the MBAir a lot, there are times when I miss my Table PC (horror): making notes. There is no better way to take notes/brainstorm in a lecture/meeting than a tablet. Unobtrusive, free-form, mind-map with a pen/stylus. Having said that, the Table PC gathers dust: it is too thick, too heavy, too hot when holding it like a note-pad, too noisy (fan/heat/CPU), in a word too cumbersome. I would love a thin, A4/letterhead-size, light, power-optimised Apple tablet I could hand-write notes on, read books, play games, watch videos, do conf-calls/video telephony (iChat/Skype) or simply show off photos/presentations. Yesterday.

I agree, though the best situation would be a monocle style appliance....but that is a discussion for another forum and topic.......

My point is, especially after the blow up a few months ago, on the Daily Show of all places, concerning how the analysts and stock speculators make up stories out of thin air, about Apple in particular, in order to manipulate share price, that if it happens we should be happy when it does.

But, after what I have just conveyed above, these reports are nothing more than an attempt to influence buy decisions, whether it be retail or stock, in a way to adversely affect Apple in one way or another.

I do see there would be issues in typing on a tablet, and I would wonder how that could be done on the go.

Also, there is the issue of having to look down at the screen all the time, rather than it being directly ahead of you.

Like the Air, I would see it as something to supplement another desktop or laptop, and not as a main computer.

I want to believe that apple may come out with this instead of a smaller net book, but the argument can also be made that they have already done this and it's the iPhone.

That is just my opinion, of course.
  • Reply 177 of 243
    p lp l Posts: 64member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Uh, you just destroyed all your Mac cred there. The 12" Powerbook G4 was introduced in 2003.

I stand corrected!

We're gonna dis 6yr old Tech against Technology of today!

Better?
  • Reply 178 of 243
    Quote:

I found one, and it's rendering

FANTASTIC!!!!

I can't wait for the result. This has been an interest of mine. I really would like to see what a CF Mac would look like and have always wondered why Apple chose aluminum over CF....
  • Reply 179 of 243
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

iPhone OS can't run Muti Apps (amongst other things) which you would most certainly want in a tablet (that is if you can think for yourself and not let Apple do it for you). Therefor it would need an OSX lite.

Did you mean Multi Apps (as opposed to Muti)?

If so, be aware that the iPhone OS can indeed run multiple apps simultaneously, but it has been crippled in software to prevent that feature, because Apple believes it will do more harm than good. (The proof is that one can easily jail-break his/her iPhone and remove the crippling aspect.)

I am not saying whether I side with Apple on this issue. Just to your point: the iPhone already runs OS X Lite, and it would be trivial for Apple to expose that fact.

Thompson
  • Reply 180 of 243
    oops, delete this...