Apple to answer netbook market with $500-$700 tablet - report

Comments

• Reply 141 of 243
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ulfoaf View Post

I'm hoping it is a true "notebook" computer. I picture a flat, light, coverless tablet that you could carry around in a leather notebook.

Despite all computing advancements, the task of note-taking has yet to make it into the electronic realm. Because it's really hard to make a device that does better than a pad and pencil.

The Newton targeted note-taking as a key application and failed pretty badly.

Things have moved on a little, but neither the hardware or the software exists in a form to compete with a pencil and paper yet.

C.
  • Reply 142 of 243
    rco3rco3 Posts: 76member
    Harleighquinn, did I just correctly read you as saying that TeckStud attempted to maintain the high ground? I have to admit, he's been on my ignore list for months now, but if he really attempted to maintain the high ground then that will be THE FIRST TIME EVER.

Teckstud is a troll. If anyone is a lab rat who hasn't figured it out yet, it's you. Seriously. Check his history. By FAR the vast majority of his comments are either negative comments re: Apple, carefully and deliberately designed to stir up shit, or else are personal attacks that follows up someone's reaction to the shit-stirring. That is the very definition of a troll. Many trolls rationalize their behavior as "social experimentation", but they're the only ones.

I suppose it's possible that he's one of those very few unfortunates who are so socially inept and clueless that he really doesn't understand what a **** he is, but I put the chances of that at about 1 in 10,000. He knows. And you took the bait. I would question whether you were a sock puppet of his (or italiankid's), but neither of them has ever demonstrated a capability for such clear grammar and cogent thought as you've displayed. However, your conclusions are clearly based on incomplete data. HAND!
  • Reply 143 of 243
    citycity Posts: 522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by QuantumEntanglement View Post

full ack ...

[EDIT]

here is what it will look like

it will have no buttons on the front, two cameras, one or two buttons on the back, made out of glass, with a chrome frame, the back being out of carbon fibre, as thin as the iPhone, OLED Screen, multi-touch on the front, ....

and is able to track your finger on the back! showing some kind of new cursor on the front, certainly not a mouse cursor.

iPhone OS 4.0, runs multiple iPhone apps side by side,

in addition to a new kind of apps.

Apple only processor and SoC's , (PA-Semi)

... not a computer, not a phone, not a netbook, not a "tablet"

the first of it's kind ever.

And it will be ready when the time is right

and techology allows it, not this year

anyone likes this idea? and the design?

Jon?

I want the 6.5" iPod Touch Square version so that it can rest on top of my other Apple products. The virtual keyboard and pad will work fine at the bottom part of the screen.
  • Reply 144 of 243
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RCO3 View Post

Harleighquinn, did I just correctly read you as saying that TeckStud attempted to maintain the high ground? I have to admit, he's been on my ignore list for months now, but if he really attempted to maintain the high ground then that will be THE FIRST TIME EVER.

Teckstud is a troll. If anyone is a lab rat who hasn't figured it out yet, it's you. Seriously. Check his history. By FAR the vast majority of his comments are either negative comments re: Apple, carefully and deliberately designed to stir up shit, or else are personal attacks that follows up someone's reaction to the shit-stirring. That is the very definition of a troll. Many trolls rationalize their behavior as "social experimentation", but they're the only ones.

I suppose it's possible that he's one of those very few unfortunates who are so socially inept and clueless that he really doesn't understand what a **** he is, but I put the chances of that at about 1 in 10,000. He knows. And you took the bait. I would question whether you were a sock puppet of his (or italiankid's), but neither of them has ever demonstrated a capability for such clear grammar and cogent thought as you've displayed. However, your conclusions are clearly based on incomplete data. HAND!

Tekstud wrote:

While this is great, 2010 is simply way too long away for an announcement. See what happens when all your energies go into the iPhone? Macs get pushed aside.

Macexpress responded:

Do you EVER have anything nice to say about Apple?

Tekstud responded:

WTF- I said it was a great that it's happenening! READ.

Macexpress then responded:

Yeah...then READ what you said afterwards! Dipshit!

That is just about 6 posts in on the first page.

I find it baffling that ANYONE can have the gall to maintain any type of moral high ground in this scenario.

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone...."

This is CLASSIC mob mentality.

And I am definitely going to have to take his defense when presented with the type of shallow, knee jerk, adroit response I have just received in this case.

If he is a troll, ignore him.

Right now what I see is a combination of hypocrisy and intolerance.

And how intelligent can anyone call themselves if they took the bait and rose to the occasion?\

This is juvenile and something I would expect from a bunch of prepubescent knee biters on a windows board.

As it stands now, what separates any of you from adulthood and the school yard?

Or even the deep south, for that matter......?
  • Reply 145 of 243
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    why is everyone fighting on a apple web site ???
  • Reply 146 of 243
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Apple should offer it with an optional detachable keyboard and stand.

Like the Always Innovating Touch Book. I'll be buying one, but need to try it out first.
  • Reply 147 of 243
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Before he can get help he?ll have acknowledge that he has a problem. I have no idea what the frak was does to him but despite the continued efforts to assist him he simply refers to comprehend anything that is written, and these backtracking comments of his that he ?meant this? or ?meant that? are just too much to handle. He?s back on my ignore list and I think he?ll remain there indefinitely now. I just wish I couldn?t see his imbecilic posts in other people?s replies.

I wondered why all of you engage him so much ?? His flame like tactics are classic poor web behavior. No matter what is said to who or what. He'll continue to jab us in our eyes .

frak ?? Doe's that mean you watch battle-star g.

???

peace

• Reply 148 of 243
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dapple View Post

Netbooks are expensive internet browsers, not inexpensive laptops.

Interestingly, my netbook can do a lot more than my old 12" Powerbook G4. It can even play back 720p H.264 video. The PB can't even play back 480p H.264. And the 12" PB was no inexpensive laptop. That's on top of the occasional Dreamweaver, Fireworks and even Photoshop work I do on my "expensive internet browser."

Quote:
    Originally Posted by misterjingles View Post

Also there is the issue of screen real estate. Netbooks are ultraportable (and cheap!) but they aren't really good for a lot of things that an ultraportable device should be good at.

The article says the Apple device will have the same 7-10" screen as all existing netbooks, so your complaint would apply to that device as well.
  • Reply 149 of 243
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by harleighquinn View Post

Tekstud wrote:

While this is great, 2010 is simply way too long away for an announcement. See what happens when all your energies go into the iPhone? Macs get pushed aside.

Macexpress responded:

Do you EVER have anything nice to say about Apple?

Tekstud responded:

WTF- I said it was a great that it's happenening! READ.

Macexpress then responded:

Yeah...then READ what you said afterwards! Dipshit!

That is just about 6 posts in on the first page.

I find it baffling that ANYONE can have the gall to maintain any type of moral high ground in this scenario.

And I am definitely going to have to take his defense when presented with the type of shallow, knee jerk, adroit response I have just received in this case.

And how intelligent can anyone call themselves if they took the bait and rose to the occasion?\

This is juvenile and something I would expect from a bunch of prepubescent knee biters on a windows board.

Thanks- but you know what -it really doesn't bother me. There is a juvenille contingent on here that attacks anyone and everyone who goes against their fanboy grain. Apple fanboy paranoia or whatever.

My point is the time has been ripe for this 7-11 inch device in the present time or last fall- not 2010. Instead Apple is hell bent on iPhone's 3.0 MMs texting and video and installing compasses in iPhones. But you know what- you can't reason with many on here. They resort to name calling constantly if you try to question anything.

Thanks again.
  • Reply 150 of 243
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

That would have been extremely difficult as the show started in 1966.

But then again what do I know being a troll and all.

the pilot ran in 1964 . it was a great episode .

the sad saga of capt pike . in the pilot you even see real cheap uni forms
  • Reply 151 of 243
    gmhutgmhut Posts: 242member
    Quote:

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. His first post was an observation, which, if anyone did the research, is unfortunately correct.

He was immediately attacked afterward by a very thins skinned responder, who took offense to his post by virtue that it came from him.

What I have seen is that he has effectively conditioned everyone into this type of response.

Actually it's a pretty interesting study in psychology and sociology and to be honest, I find it even more interesting that the "lab rats" haven't figure it out yet.

I have three cats that exhibit more learning awareness than I see in just this topic on this message board alone, and that's actually pretty sad.

I'm sorry, but I'm going to take the side of the underdog, which in this case is teckstud:

He made an apt post and he was attacked for it. He attempted to maintain the high ground and he was still attacked for it.

Timothy Leary did a great experiment in mob mentality. Maybe everyone could learn from it?

His first post was an opinion. Nothing wrong there, but it was as much a 'first shot across the bow' as it was a statement. I'll be the first to say Apple is far from perfect, somethings they do piss me off to no end, and I've posted about it. But a little bit of balance is a good thing. Here's a suggestion, maybe limit to every other 2 or three posts, but 3 in a row? Common. It's the shear number of his posts in almost every thread that turns people away. Mainly, I'd just like to hear from someone else once in while. Sure, the scroll bar on my browser works just fine, but I'd like not to have to use it so dern much in every thread to get past the guy. N'est-ce pas?

Was my post an 'attack' on him?" I guess it's hard to take it any other way. But as I said, this has turned into the Techstud Site, and it is really getting old for many. So if one puts oneself out there to that degree, and in that manner, that often?one should enjoy the responses that one is obviously seeking.

Show us the "research" you mentioned. It's quite possibly true, but given that Apple has seperate development teams, it's far from a foregone conclusion. I'd be interested to see the data you speak of.

If by "effectively conditioned people to this kind of response," you mean flame baiting is effective, I agree. It's generally a great way to piss people off and get a great many responses.

Although he is 'entertaining' in his own way, I reserve the right to disagree with you that Timothy Leary is a great source for everyone to learn from. Acid was never my thing.

By the way, I have a cat too, she's great company. But three? The thought of all that cat hair floating around . . . well, you have my condolences on that one bud.
  • Reply 152 of 243
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

the pilot ran in 1964 . it was a great episode .

the sad saga of capt pike . in the pilot you even see real cheap uni forms

Oh I thought the pilot was for NBC execs who turned it down - it didn't air until 1966. Oh well- you learn something new every day. Back to topic.
  • Reply 153 of 243
    rco3rco3 Posts: 76member
    Quote:

Ah. Now we do get into the personal attacks. First you call us all lab rats (which I'm sure you meant in the nicest possible way) , and now simply being in the deep south is enough to receive the benefit of your personal disdain. Plus, I'm apparently hypocritical, unintelligent (Ha!), intolerant, adroit (how DARE you!), juvenile, and prepubescent in my knee-biting. Lovely. The good news is that the ignore list works on you too, sir. Defend away! Enjoy hijacking threads the same way TS does! I shall do as you so wisely recommend and ignore you, blissfully.

This board isn't about trolls and it isn't about psychology, mob or abnormal. It's about Apple and rumors thereunto. You and I are, on the surface, in agreement about the best way to handle the matter; ignore the trolls. However, while you have appeared as if by magic to defend the most egregious by FAR of offenders in this board, I've posted a very few comments asking people to IGNORE the trolls. And to reconsider replying to them. Which, this comment notwithstanding, is exactly what I will do.
  • Reply 154 of 243
    Quote:

Oh I thought the pilot was for NBC execs who turned it down - it didn't air until 1966. Oh well- you learn something new every day. Back to topic.

the pilot was MADE in 1964

hmm your right.. the pilot first aired on reruns. it is still by far the best episode.
  • Reply 155 of 243
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GMHut View Post

His first post was an opinion. Nothing wrong there, but it was as much a 'first shot across the bow' as it was a statement. I'll be the first to say Apple is far from perfect, somethings they do piss me off to no end, and I've posted about it. But a little bit of balance is a good thing. Here's a suggestion, maybe limit to every other 2 or three posts, but 3 in a row? Common. It's the shear number of his posts in almost every thread that turns people away. Mainly, I'd just like to hear from someone else once in while. Sure, the scroll bar on my browser works just fine, but I'd like not to have to use it so dern much in every thread to get past the guy. N'est-ce pas?

Was my post an 'attack' on him?" I guess it's hard to take it any other way. But as I said, this has turned into the Techstud Site, and it is really getting old for many. So if one puts oneself out there to that degree, and in that manner, that often?one should enjoy the responses that one is obviously seeking.

Show us the "research" you mentioned. It's quite possibly true, but given that Apple has seperate development teams, it's far from a foregone conclusion. I'd be interested to see the data you speak of.

If by "effectively conditioned people to this kind of response," you mean flame baiting is effective, I agree. It's generally a great way to piss people off and get a great many responses.

Although he is 'entertaining' in his own way, I reserve the right to disagree with you that Timothy Leary is a great source for everyone to learn from. Acid was never my thing.

By the way, I have a cat too, she's great company. But three? The thought of all that cat hair floating around . . . well, you have my condolences on that one bud.

Timothy Leary's experiment in mob mentality, Whites against Blacks in a jail type setting, was pre-LSD, at least for him.

My wife and I love our cats, though even I will admit 3 is too much, but we couldn't bear to eliminate any of them either.

One was adopted from the shelter, the other was purchased from friends breeding their siamese (the first is a tortoise shell american short hair: Kameko. The second is a flame point siamese: Shiro, gotten to keep her company. they got along famously the first day with no separation.....)

The third we adopted when we found her, as a 3 month old kitten, abandoned in El Yunque rainforest when visiting family in Puerto Rico on our honeymoon. She is a rag doll, with yellow eyes, and a sweet heart.

The fact is a "shot across the bow" can be ignored in the desire to maintain civility.

He was just outright attacked, with no provocation.

So what if he disagrees with Apple? Last I checked, the last regime withstanding, this was still the United States (FWIW) and we are entitled to opinions.

The issue here is the opinion was directed at no one in particular, but it elicited multiple attacks in his direction.

That is mob mentality when it is picked up by anyone else in earshot, and followed up on in the same vein.

Intelligence is eschewed for acceptance.

Mob Mentality.

As for disagreeing with apple, we have a 2.8 Mghz 24 inch iMac extreme. Guess what? It's better than the windows PCs I had to constantly administrate and repair, but it's not perfect.

We both have iPhones, and my wife complains about hers every single day.

But she also wants a Macbook Air, which I won't let her get. It's already been refreshed once and I'm waiting for the next model, which is inevitable.

I'm not going to google every article, from Apple Insider to Mac World, or even google news to show that the trend at apple lately has seemed to have been more a Amelio style business trend of beating us down with their latest and nearly best selling hot item, which is the iPhone, the iPod Touch, iPods, laptops, and then, finally, OS and desktops, in about that order.

Apple's entire enterprise lineup has seemed to have been fashioned to support the iPhone at this time, and it doesn't take a genius to determine from those offerings that the iPhone is their baby to be coddled until someone within Apple comes up with something to supersede it.

What ever happened to Apple TV?

I will contend his statement was apt, and his statements (Those that were not defending himself from an attack) following were also apt.

We all would do ourselves a service to recognize that truth, and if we have issue with it, let Apple know. If not, the market will define their direction, and right now, that's the iPhone.
  • Reply 156 of 243
    acslater017acslater017 Posts: 424member
    why is everyone PMSing today? usually the forums are much more civil than this...

i wonder if Phil Schiller will say, "Oh and there's one more thing..." and unveil Steve Jobs +15 lbs?! And let HIM unveil the Netbook. Haha, OK I'm being silly.
  • Reply 157 of 243
    Quote:

Timothy Leary's experiment in mob mentality, Whites against Blacks in a jail type setting, was pre-LSD, at least for him.

My wife and I love our cats, though even I will admit 3 is too much, but we couldn't bear to eliminate any of them either.

One was adopted from the shelter, the other was purchased from friends breeding their siamese (the first is a tortoise shell american short hair: Kameko. The second is a flame point siamese: Shiro, gotten to keep her company. they got along famously the first day with no separation.....)

The third we adopted when we found her, as a 3 month old kitten, abandoned in El Yunque rainforest when visiting family in Puerto Rico on our honeymoon. She is a rag doll, with yellow eyes, and a sweet heart.

The fact is a "shot across the bow" can be ignored in the desire to maintain civility.

He was just outright attacked, with no provocation.

So what if he disagrees with Apple? Last I checked, the last regime withstanding, this was still the United States (FWIW) and we are entitled to opinions.

The issue here is the opinion was directed at no one in particular, but it elicited multiple attacks in his direction.

That is mob mentality when it is picked up by anyone else in earshot, and followed up on in the same vein.

Intelligence is eschewed for acceptance.

Mob Mentality.

As for disagreeing with apple, we have a 2.8 Mghz 24 inch iMac extreme. Guess what? It's better than the windows PCs I had to constantly administrate and repair, but it's not perfect.

We both have iPhones, and my wife complains about hers every single day.

But she also wants a Macbook Air, which I won't let her get. It's already been refreshed once and I'm waiting for the next model, which is inevitable.

I'm not going to google every article, from Apple Insider to Mac World, or even google news to show that the trend at apple lately has seemed to have been more a Amelio style business trend of beating us down with their latest and nearly best selling hot item, which is the iPhone, the iPod Touch, iPods, laptops, and then, finally, OS and desktops, in about that order.

Apple's entire enterprise lineup has seemed to have been fashioned to support the iPhone at this time, and it doesn't take a genius to determine from those offerings that the iPhone is their baby to be coddled until someone within Apple comes up with something to supersede it.

What ever happened to Apple TV?

I will contend his statement was apt, and his statements (Those that were not defending himself from an attack) following were also apt.

We all would do ourselves a service to recognize that truth, and if we have issue with it, let Apple know. If not, the market will define their direction, and right now, that's the iPhone.

Oh no- now you've done it. Be afraid, be very afraid! The matrix attack will begin any second now! Their tentacles are poisonous.

Seriuosly - excellent post. My sentiments exactly- and then some.

I've been a proud Mac owner for over 10 years- I just call it like it is.
  • Reply 158 of 243
    Quote:

Ah. Now we do get into the personal attacks. First you call us all lab rats (which I'm sure you meant in the nicest possible way) , and now simply being in the deep south is enough to receive the benefit of your personal disdain. Plus, I'm apparently hypocritical, unintelligent (Ha!), intolerant, adroit (how DARE you!), juvenile, and prepubescent in my knee-biting. Lovely. The good news is that the ignore list works on you too, sir. Defend away! Enjoy hijacking threads the same way TS does! I shall do as you so wisely recommend and ignore you, blissfully.

This board isn't about trolls and it isn't about psychology, mob or abnormal. It's about Apple and rumors thereunto. You and I are, on the surface, in agreement about the best way to handle the matter; ignore the trolls. However, while you have appeared as if by magic to defend the most egregious by FAR of offenders in this board, I've posted a very few comments asking people to IGNORE the trolls. And to reconsider replying to them. Which, this comment notwithstanding, is exactly what I will do.

Curious:

Based upon the inflammatory nature of your responses so far, exactly what separates you from the label you have freely painted upon Tekstud?

Also, as I have stated in a previous thread, I had been a long time lurker, posting every so often. I lost the email I originally posted under and had to create a new login.

I guess the admins could probably look at my IP address and find my original login, but I'm not going to make them go through that, nor do I think they would wish to.

Of course a simple "search all post from this user" would provide validity to this explanation, but just as I don't know how to multi-quote from several different postings, I doubt you would know how to use the search options provided.

I'm sorry, that was just the type of knee jerk response I have been admonishing everyone against.

The fact is I would rather someone have a civil conversation than to debase themselves to juvenile attacks.

The kids in Columbine attacked all the "Beautiful People" in that school because they themselves had been attacked and humiliated daily.

But it seems none of us ever learn from scenarios such as that.

And yes, I do agree that if he in fact were a troll, then yes, ignoring him would be the correct response, but as I stated previously, I have lurked and posted sporadically for the last couple of years and I have only noticed that his posts have been nothing more than criticism of some of apples products and nothing more.

There have been actual windows zealot trolls, or even just people coming from google news to actually stir things up that have been more derisive than he and I see the same behavior exhibited in response.

A troll, by definition, is someone who appears randomly within a forum, has not been a long time member, and pops in with constantly insulting personal attacks.

If you look at Tekstud's posts and his history, you will realize he doesn't fit that definition.
  • Reply 159 of 243
    Quote:

Oh no- now you've done it. Be afraid, be very afraid! The matrix attack will begin any second now! Their tentacles are poisonous.

Seriuosly - excellent post. My sentiments exactly- and then some.

I've been a proud Mac owner for over 10 years- I just call it like it is.

As do I.

BTW, I haven't read back that far: Are you guys talking about BSG or ST?

I loved the new BSG, and though I can't call myself a Trekkie (yes, I'm a geek, even if I am african american by appearance. You can only imagine what my childhood had been like......) but I really think the Abrams reboot of ST was the best job anyone could ever have done, even from a purists perspective.
  • Reply 160 of 243
    Quote:

As do I.

BTW, I haven't read back that far: Are you guys talking about BSG or ST?

I loved the new BSG, but I can't call myself a Trekkie (yes, I'm a geek, even if I am african american by appearance. You can only imagine what my childhood had been like......) but I really think the Abrams reboot of ST was the best job anyone could ever have done, even from a purists perspective.

ST- the original. BSG was the 70's I think. New ST was great- saw it the other night at the Ziegfeld here in NYC (the last giant screened theater). Audience applauded at the end.