iPhone 3G discontinued in Oz as report backs third-gen rumors

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 68
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Most of all, I would like the iPhone to have a faster port. Loading movies on it is too slow.
  • Reply 62 of 68
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Most of all, I would like the iPhone to have a faster port. Loading movies on it is too slow.

Unless the USB3.0 is an option yet we'll have to deal with longer sync yimes with each capacity increase. Shouldn't we expect USB3.0 on the PCs before we see them on the devices? The people that want sync their media over WiFi or BT while using the battery haven't reall thoughtot through.

Theroetically, Apple could make their 30-pin connector accept much faster speeds and therorectically have a cable with 2x USB2.0 plugs coming off of it which would orchestrate the syncing over both ports at the same. However, I think the ports would have utilize different buses and would require too much effort perfect.
  • Reply 63 of 68
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Not so sure about that. There are a lot of geeks just like you- salivating, waiting for when the Pre cums.

Errrr...... no.
  • Reply 64 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

Rebranding my current macbook with no firewire or even an expresscard slot as a macbook would be the biggest joke.

I’m sure such a move wouldn’t simply be the same machine, just the same form factor. It looks like Apple will move to an enclosed bottom like the 17” MBP. By doing this they can add FW800, another USB port and add a higher performing battery. If the anecdotal evidence of the better MB display is true then this rebranding may also be true, especially since the aluminium chassises are not cheap.

But it would make no sense for Apple to get rid of the MacBook line, so they’d have to extend it in another way. This may lead back to a 13” plastic MacBook and a 10” plastic MacBook, as I can’t see a unibody case for such a small machine as being viable. It may also allow for a 15” (and maybe 17”) plastic MacBook that will extend Apple’s reach into a new market. They are doing very well with education and maintaining their premium customers, but you eventually get to a point where you have to expand into new physical markets (ie: Macs sold in other countries), financial markets (ie: Less expensive Macs) and/or distribution markets (ie: Macs geared toward business needs).

PS: I really hope they put a GPS chip in future Mac notebooks. I find myself using my iPhone’s Google maps more than I do my Mac. If added, it would be great to tie the feature into the Google Maps website and any apps that could are more beneficial for knowing your location, like the Weather widget. I’d also like to be able to geo-locate my Mac from MM the way it will work with the iPhone.
  • Reply 65 of 68
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Maybe they are merging the Macbook and Macbook Pro lines to make way for the new tablet.

i.e. Future line up:

Consumer Desktop: All-in-one

Consumer Mobile: Tablet

Professional Desktop: Tower

Professional Mobile: Laptop

That is, they have decided a laptop-style device is, and always has been, a business tool. The only reason consumers are using them is there hasn't been a good alternative until now.
  • Reply 66 of 68
    The article states:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...an insider claimed that this year's iPhones will...have their RAM doubled to 256MB

Surely they mean the amount of video RAM in the graphics chipset, given that the iPhone's main RAM is on the order of 8/16/32 gigabytes?
  • Reply 67 of 68
    Video (not perfect) is currently doable on iPhone OS 2, on both the iPhone 2G and 3G, if you jailbreak your iPhone and install an app like Cycorder, or "Video Recorder for 3G". These apps can do up to 15 frames per second, depending on the lighting conditions, and though they don't do 720p, etc. (the camera hardware in the current iPhones isn't able to do high resolution anyway), they'll work in a pinch if you just want to document something.

Then again, you do have to jailbreak your iPhone, which isn't something everyone can (or should) do, since it doesn't always work out well (though usually it does).
  • Reply 68 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnsawyercjs View Post

The article states:

Surely they mean the amount of video RAM in the graphics chipset, given that the iPhone's main RAM is on the order of 8/16/32 gigabytes?

They are referring to the system RAM, not the GPU?s RAM, nor the non-volitaile RAM or Flash/NAND that is used for permanent storage.