Icon for iPhone 2,1 appears in latest iPhone SDK

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
An image has surfaced in the latest beta of the iPhone SDK that appears to confirm a new model but also few apparent cosmetic changes.

Discovered by a member of the MacTalk forums, the icon set buried well within the device framework for iPhone SDK beta 5 shows images for iPhone 2,1 -- the internal working name for the next version of Apple's handset.

While it virtually confirms an upcoming replacement for the current iPhone 3G, the small images show a design fundamentally similar to the present-day models, down to references to both black- and white-colored backings. The original iPhone has a visibly different icon than either today's phone or the 2,1 entry.

What this signals isn't necessarily clear. If real representations, the images support notions that the 2009 won't be an external redesign and will instead focus almost exclusively on what's inside. Many expect a faster processor, faster networking and more storage. The chance also exists that the entries serve as placeholders until Apple can comfortably reveal new iPhones in software.

Beta 5 doesn't make any references to iPod 2,2, the expected minor refresh to the iPod touch.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    How in hell can folks be thinking the Palm Pre is going to be an iPhone Killer, when the damn thing isn't even out, let alone been tested, tried, used or anything yet, by the folks who matter ? us!

Skip
  • Reply 2 of 55
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    the model number will be different from that of iPhone 3G.
  • Reply 3 of 55
    Yeah it means the new model will have a similar form factor OR, more likely, they just used the same icon from previous models. They all look identical to me.
  • Reply 4 of 55
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

How in hell can folks be thinking the Palm Pre is going to be an iPhone Killer, when the damn thing isn't even out, let alone been tested, tried, used or anything yet, by the folks who matter ? us!

Skip

tech is always full of hype and never believe the tech rags. no journalistic integrity

Vista and Win7 won't have features originally promised for XP
  • Reply 5 of 55
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Some people just can't wait until June/July.

Guys, seriously, Apple will amaze, as they usually do. So relax!
  • Reply 6 of 55
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:

How in hell can folks be thinking the Palm Pre is going to be an iPhone Killer

I know! What is with that.
  • Reply 7 of 55
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

I know! What is with that.

Some people can only think in extremes. The best case scenario for Palm is that it?s a decent competitor to the iPhone for the growing consumer, media-phone crowd.
  • Reply 8 of 55
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    2,1 will differ from 1,2
  • Reply 9 of 55
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    What happened to 3,1?
  • Reply 10 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1984 View Post

What happened to 3,1?

Probably next year or the year after that. The original iPhone was referred to as iPhone 1,1 and the iPhone 3G was given iPhone 1,2, probably on account that very little internal HW had changed despite the addition of the 3G radios, GPS chip, and new case design.
  • Reply 11 of 55
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

How in hell can folks be thinking the Palm Pre is going to be an iPhone Killer, when the damn thing isn't even out, let alone been tested, tried, used or anything yet, by the folks who matter … us!

Skip

Reason = multi-tasking. We all know this. Why it won't be an iPhone killer though - OS X, battery-life, real games, App Store, iTunes integration, content syncing + purchasing etc. There's a lot more to the iPhone, than simply the iPhone - companies will eventually get that. Just like the way the iPod isn't just a click-wheel.
  • Reply 12 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Reason = multi-tasking. We all know this. Why it won't be an iPhone killer though - OS X, real games, App Store, iTunes integration + content syncing etc. There's a lot more to the iPhone, than simply the iPhone - companies will eventually get that. Just like the way the iPod isn't just the iPod isn't just a click-wheel.

Don’t forget, “not on AT&T.” We know that some people will not switch carriers or go to a particular carrier. And some simply won’t buy an iPhone because it’s an iPhone.

PS: Welcome back!
  • Reply 13 of 55
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Don’t forget, “not on AT&T.

Sometimes I wish Apple would diversify from ATT only for the reason that it'll stop the constant caterwauling by some on this forum (e.g., he-who-shall-not-be-named)!
  • Reply 14 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Sometimes I wish Apple would diversify from ATT only for the reason that it'll stop some of the caterwauling on this forum!

I think that would only change the focus of their ululation, not stop it.
  • Reply 15 of 55
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:

...caterwauling by some on this forum (e.g., he-who-shall-not-be-named)!

You mean there is another ATT caterwauler?

Shesh, I thought I was the only one.

Perhaps we should have a duet.
  • Reply 16 of 55
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Talk about your slow news day.
  • Reply 17 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

You mean there is another ATT caterwauler?

Shesh, I thought I was the only one.

Perhaps we should have a duet.

There are enough here to start a very large choir. I would love to do my part by making some of you proper Castrati.
  • Reply 18 of 55
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Slo-o-o-o-o-ow news day, much?
  • Reply 19 of 55
    mtomto Posts: 16member
    To me there does appear to be a slight difference in the current icon and the up coming phone. Either it looks ever so thinner or possibly a lighter color such as silver. And to my eye even the white iPhone icons look like there is a depth difference. The difference is just great enough that I'm ruling out psychological influences or wishful thinking.
  • Reply 20 of 55
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:

Sometimes I wish Apple would diversify from ATT only for the reason that it'll stop the constant caterwauling by some on this forum (e.g., he-who-shall-not-be-named)!

\t1.\tcaterwaul - the yowling sound made by a cat in heat

cry - the characteristic utterance of an animal; "animal cries

dude i get the feeling that you are doing home work assignments here . for your how-to-be-an-ugly-loud-american-english-language class.

peace