Apple remodeling 100 stores with larger Genius Bars, displays

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
While the tough economy is prompting many retailers to cut back on their spending, Apple plans to pour millions into remodeling roughly 40% of its stores and will soon introduce new One-to-One services and other changes geared towards better customer service.

Apple Senior Vice President of Retail Ron Johnson told USAToday on Wednesday that the company plans to makeover 100 of its retail stores this year, retrofitting them with customer service Genius Bars that are 50 percent larger and display tables that can showcase twice as many Macs.

"We know that a lot of people are cutting back, but we're doing the opposite," he told the newspaper. "We're investing in the downturn."

Beginning June 2, Apple will also make significant changes to its One-to-One personal training service geared towards helping new Mac customers get the most out their systems.

Currently, anyone who's willing to pay $99 can sign up for a year's worth of the training service, but Johnson says Apple will start limiting signups to only those customers who purchase a Mac at an Apple retail store or the Apple online store. Legacy users won't be booted from the program, however, and will be offered the opportunity to renew their subscription for the same $99.

As part of the changes, One-to-One sessions will be limited to three hours, up from one hour. Similarly, up to three participants will now be allowed to take part in the sessions. In addition to its remodeling efforts, Apple will also open 25 new stores worldwide this year, including its fourth flagship location in Manhattan and new shops in Paris, Germany and Italy.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    wolviewolvie Posts: 9member
    3 hour one to one's? Yikes...
  • Reply 2 of 47
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Great that they plan to increase the size of the Genius Bars. Last time I was at the Apple Store, the "genius" I worked with could hardly move, he was squished between 2 other people and the very tightly spaced desk-mounted keyboards. I actually suggested that he work from my side of the bar where there was more space.
  • Reply 3 of 47
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    This is good for the economy and for Apple's image.
  • Reply 4 of 47
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    I wonder if those laid off get their jobs back? Were any "geniuses" laid off prior?
  • Reply 5 of 47
    gtl215gtl215 Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I wonder if those laid off get their jobs back? Were any "geniuses" laid off prior?

you're a buffoon - you realize that, right? They laid off 50 people from their enterprise sales group. Hardly noteworthy compared to the thousands laid off at microcrap and elsewhere - not to mention it has more to do with their sales strategy than the economy.

This makes perfect sense to do this sort of thing during an economic downturn. Less foot traffic in the stores means less of an overall disruption. Hotels do it all the time - remodel their rooms while they're empty so they don't have to turn away guests.
  • Reply 6 of 47
    touchetouche Posts: 3member
    This will be good for the store I visit. It always seemed so cramped and the one-to-one sessions were done in the same area where people were playing with the display models.

I didn't know they were closing our store and when I went to the mall last week and saw the closed sign, there was a weird emptiness in my stomach. I may have a problem...
  • Reply 7 of 47
    sipadansipadan Posts: 107member
    Make the already best customer experience in a comp store even better, that's pure Apple. Thumbs way up I think
  • Reply 8 of 47
    macfandavemacfandave Posts: 603member
    Quote:

with larger Genius Bars

Have you looked at some of the Geniuses? They're pretty large already!
  • Reply 9 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTL215 View Post

you're a buffoon - you realize that, right? They laid off 50 people from their enterprise sales group. Hardly noteworthy compared to the thousands laid off at microcrap and elsewhere - not to mention it has more to do with their sales strategy than the economy.

This makes perfect sense to do this sort of thing during an economic downturn. Less foot traffic in the stores means less of an overall disruption. Hotels do it all the time - remodel their rooms while they're empty so they don't have to turn away guests.

No, you're an idiot.

April 24, 2009 Apple (NASD: AAPL) laid off 1,600 employees from its retail stores during the second quarter, according to an SEC filing.

The number represents more than 10% of the company's retail workforce.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10226486-37.html
  • Reply 10 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

Have you looked at some of the Geniuses? They're pretty large already!

They're SuperWozzed.
  • Reply 11 of 47
    justfliejustflie Posts: 11member
    Yep. One of my friends was a genius and was apparently laid off in that group.
  • Reply 12 of 47
    Quote:

No, you're an idiot.

April 24, 2009 Apple (NASD: AAPL) laid off 1,600 employees from its retail stores during the second quarter, according to an SEC filing.

Read the article, my friend. That doesn't mean 1600 people got laid off. It means they employ 1600 fewer "full time equivalent" employees. Let me walk you through it. For example, if 10 part time employees are forced to each work 4 fewer hours per week, that's 40 hours a week and 1 "full time equivalent" employee. Considering every store easily has over 20 people on the payroll, its fair to assume each store could have cut at least 2 "full time equivalent" employees. The fact of the matter is, we don't know the mix of actual layoffs versus hourly cutbacks. Certainly some people were let go entirely, but definitely not 1600.
  • Reply 13 of 47
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

You're an idiot.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10226486-37.html

That was one of the least informative articles on that matter that I've seen yet. Apple did not lay off 1,600 employees. The term used in your article is "shed", not laid off. Apple shed 1600 full-time positions. If you look up some other articles on the matter you will find that Apple shed most of these jobs not by laying off people, but by not filling vacancies when a person quit. Not hiring is not the same as laying a person off, the closest Apple really came to major layoffs was a reduction of working hours for some.
  • Reply 14 of 47
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    I only ever had to resort to asking a "genius" for help once, and it turned out they couldn't help me. I brought my notebook and phone and touch into the store. I showed how on my phone I could setup a wifi point, and the notebook could connect and surf the internet just fine. The touch found the network, but no data was getting through.

Their answer for why it wouldn't work varried from the fact that it's a phone and not a true wifi router, to the fact that the phone ran windows mobile and the netbook ran windows, and somehow it was something microsoft was blocking. That was their help to me.

I guess I'm being tough on them being that it was a fairly complicated issue. The solution came in the form of turning the radio power up on the phone, and disabling the DHCP allocator.

Other than that I'm sure they are experts at more basic tasks.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sipadan View Post

Make the already best customer experience in a comp store even better, that's pure Apple. Thumbs way up I think

Yeah something's way up. Your nose and their ass. (just kidding! )
  • Reply 15 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

the closest Apple really came to major layoffs was a reduction of working hours for some.

exactly. Some people don't understand there are ways to cut expenses without full-fledged layoffs.
  • Reply 16 of 47
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

That was one of the least informative articles on that matter that I've seen yet. Apple did not lay off 1,600 employees. The term used in your article is "shed", not laid off. Apple shed 1600 full-time positions. If you look up some other articles on the matter you will find that Apple shed most of these jobs not by laying off people, but by not filling vacancies when a person quit. Not hiring is not the same as laying a person off, the closest Apple really came to major layoffs was a reduction of working hours for some.

Quote:

exactly. Some people don't understand there are ways to cut expenses without full-fledged layoffs.

I think the point he was trying to make (even if he lost site of it) was the fact that they made this comment: "We know that a lot of people are cutting back, but we're doing the opposite," he told the newspaper. "We're investing in the downturn." all while "shedding" those jobs.

They are being a bit misleading in that statement is all.
  • Reply 17 of 47
    italiankiditaliankid Posts: 279member
    larger genius bar? thats because its always packed with people having problems with Macs and iPhones LOL
  • Reply 18 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

I think the point he was trying to make (even if he lost site of it) was the fact that they made this comment: "We know that a lot of people are cutting back, but we're doing the opposite," he told the newspaper. "We're investing in the downturn." all while "shedding" those jobs.

They are being a bit misleading in that statement is all.

what's misleading is the headline to Techduds article, which clearly is as far into the article as he bothered to read.
  • Reply 19 of 47
    Quote:

Read the article, my friend. That doesn't mean 1600 people got laid off. It means they employ 1600 fewer "full time equivalent" employees. Let me walk you through it. For example, if 10 part time employees are forced to each work 4 fewer hours per week, that's 40 hours a week and 1 "full time equivalent" employee. Considering every store easily has over 20 people on the payroll, its fair to assume each store could have cut at least 2 "full time equivalent" employees. The fact of the matter is, we don't know the mix of actual layoffs versus hourly cutbacks. Certainly some people were let go entirely, but definitely not 1600.

Right - but only 50 as you stated.
  • Reply 20 of 47
    Quote:

what's misleading is the headline to Techduds article, which clearly is as far into the article as he bothered to read.

You who posts only 50 layoffs- you're a joke.

What headline? Put the pipe down already.