Final Cut Studio 3 to bundle major Motion, Soundtrack upgrades

Comments

• Reply 21 of 73
    Dohhh I just bought Final Cut Studio 2 about 3 weeks ago. Does apple normally have upgrades on large suites like this?
  • Reply 22 of 73
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pixelcruncher View Post

Soundtrack is also useless. FC has enough audio abilities to get by, if that isn't good enough, it goes to sound mixing. There are several great apps for audio mixing (Logic, Pro Tools), no one uses STP in their audio suite. Roll some of the capabilities into FC and ditch STP as well.

While I agree that pros use STP barely if at all, Logic doesn't have the features that STP covers. Heck, even PT doesn't do file based editing, just multitrack. Unless they roll all the features of STP into logic, which I doubt, there's still a need for an app like STP. Now whether STP will ever get solid enough to be that app is another story, but if it just goes away without Logic getting a huge makeover, it would leave a big void.
  • Reply 23 of 73
    crtaylorcrtaylor Posts: 82member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Playmade_be View Post

A 'Creative Studio' including Final Cut Studio and Logic Studio is the update i'm waiting for!

(with one universal UI, shortcut keys etc..)

Interesting idea for working with audio and visual there. I notice there are some people mentioned in the Creative Pro section of Apple's website that are experimenting with audio and visual components. I did send Steve Jobs a letter about an idea for something like that, although I never thought of the musical apps as a possibility. I was thinking basically the Final Cut Suite plus a Photoshop-like version of Aperture, professional versions of Pages and iWeb, and a 2D/3D illustration engine that would operate in a similar fashion to Motion's 2D/3D switching.

Anyway, cool idea!
  • Reply 24 of 73
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

It's baffling that apple ships STP along with logic yet the two have absolutely nothing in common when it comes to interface, keyboard shortcuts, or even most of the feature set.

Two different development teams and codebase. STP comes from the Cupertino guys and Logic is developed by "ze Germans". Hopefully Apple has been integrating the two apps. I'd love to see everything just fold into Logic ...if not this version then one in the future.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by coloredtoad View Post

Dohhh I just bought Final Cut Studio 2 about 3 weeks ago. Does apple normally have upgrades on large suites like this?

Yes you'll be able to upgrade.
  • Reply 25 of 73
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Still no Blu-ray? I think I'm going to cry. I'm about ready to jump ship to Adobe, and I've tried Encore... and I hated it.
  • Reply 26 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guartho View Post

Still no Blu-ray? I think I'm going to cry. I'm about ready to jump ship to Adobe, and I've tried Encore... and I hated it.

isn't that totally asstastic?

This is one of the reasons why I kind of winced when Apple started selling music and then movies. There's never any impartiality when you start pimping a product.

Blu-ray support is realy mandatory...people are staking their businesses on Apple's product and it's unacceptable that Apple would impede the ability of these companies to deliver the right product to their clients.

Besides Apple's more interested in being the media industries concubine and they probably lost a lot of power by succombing to variable pricing.
  • Reply 27 of 73
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    I hate their approach to these DVD authoring applications. Creating DVDs is still extremely important and still the most popular method of distribution. If Adobe would sell Encore separately then I wouldn't care but FCS needs a good DVD application.
  • Reply 28 of 73
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

isn't that totally asstastic?

This is one of the reasons why I kind of winced when Apple started selling music and then movies. There's never any impartiality when you start pimping a product.

Blu-ray support is realy mandatory...people are staking their businesses on Apple's product and it's unacceptable that Apple would impede the ability of these companies to deliver the right product to their clients.

Besides Apple's more interested in being the media industries concubine and they probably lost a lot of power by succombing to variable pricing.

Sony lost the Walkman market to the iPod because Sony's studio division sold records.

Wouldn't it be hilarious if Apple lost market share because they sold downloads?
  • Reply 29 of 73
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I just got the last upgrade lol... I wonder if there is a window for a second upgrade at a special price? And yes I asked the Apple Business sales guy if a new one was imminent and he said noooo.
  • Reply 30 of 73
    finewinefinewine Posts: 92member
    I guess Apple feel like they don't have much competition in pro desktop editing software. Too bad, because this update looks to be @$$. We constantly heard about how Snow Leopard is going to be great for developers because of all the core services and native 64-bit and stable api goodness and blah, blah, blah. So now one of the most important pro app suits is coming out, and how is it taking advantage of all those supposedly fabulous SL features?
  • Reply 31 of 73
    They always do that they should say "we might have a new product coming in 1-2 months"
  • Reply 32 of 73
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    So we're taking "people with rudimentary knowledge" as gold? WTF?

If you want to get all apoplectic over "no Blu-Ray" without anything concrete or specific from Apple then go for it, I guess.
  • Reply 33 of 73
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineWine View Post

I guess Apple feel like they don't have much competition in pro desktop editing software. Too bad, because this update looks to be @$$. We constantly heard about how Snow Leopard is going to be great for developers because of all the core services and native 64-bit and stable api goodness and blah, blah, blah. So now one of the most important pro app suits is coming out, and how is it taking advantage of all those supposedly fabulous SL features?

How, exactly, is a brand new, from the ground up, re-write of the FCP code an @ss update?
  • Reply 34 of 73
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    DVD authoring is so yesterday.
  • Reply 35 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineWine View Post

Actually color me purple dumbstruck if Apple doesn't have a MAJOR update for FCP7. It's not enough to say "Realtime" features because every editor can do some realtime functions but in fact if it does realtime AVCHD every person with with a HD camera from a Vixia to a Panny HMC-150 will be dancing in the streets.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Northgate View Post

So we're taking "people with rudimentary knowledge" as gold? WTF?

If you want to get all apoplectic over "no Blu-Ray" without anything concrete or specific from Apple then go for it, I guess.

Yeah it sounds like their knowledge is pretty vague. Though I am a bit worried about Apple's reticence to support Blu-ray. Even as a HD DVD fan I've realize the cold hard truth and iTunes download doesn't help the wedding videographer that needs to deliver HD moments to their clients. I'm going cry foul on this "no Blu-ray" stuff.
  • Reply 36 of 73
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pixelcruncher View Post

Wow, that is an awful looking upgrade package. Final Cut Pro 7 better be amazing.

Motion is useless, the most talented animators know AE inside and out, AE has massive plug-in support and 3D programs make a point of offering excellent integration. Most of Motion's effects should be rolled into FC and just get rid of it. FC doesn't even understand how to back-up or consolidate the media from an embedded Motion timeline, so your media managed projects simply show offline media for all Motion effected clips.

Agreed. No one at our facility EVER uses Motion. All After Effects all the time. Dump Motion and put Shake on the R&D fast track to bring it back to life. We have Nuke now and even though it is really good, the operators miss Shake. Either that or just frickin' buy Adobe and get it over with. Apple you've got plenty of billions in cash lying around - use it for something good.

Quote:

Soundtrack is also useless. FC has enough audio abilities to get by, if that isn't good enough, it goes to sound mixing. There are several great apps for audio mixing (Logic, Pro Tools), no one uses STP in their audio suite. Roll some of the capabilities into FC and ditch STP as well.

Agreed, tru dat. Again no one here (we ahve 6 FCS system all with Kona and Xserve RAIDs) uses Soundtrack. We have an audio studio as a partner to handle final and creative mixes.

Quote:

Every one of our Final Cut systems uses DVDSP to create client copies and approvals. I don't have any clients that don't go back to their offices, sit around a monitor, and play back a DVD for the group to see. Networks, ad agencies, and corporate clients all do this. Its how their viewers will see it, its how they want to see it. Even the wedding videographers are going to want an easy way to create Blu-ray discs. Shame Apple has decided to ditch this.

Agreed. We don't use DVDSP on the edit systems much - usually the DVDs are made in the machine room. Nonetheless we need it to author and burn BD.

Quote:

Color is a fantastic color corrector, and the interface is outstanding. However, the integration with FC is terrible. It should function like a plug-in, not a separate app. Too many problems arise going back and forth, and a client can want changes months down the line. Two years after it was hurriedly grafted into the Studio and we're getting a .5 release. That's terrible.

Agreed. I've got a highly skilled colorist who came from a telecine with Davinci color correction and he loves Apple Color. It needs to be fully real time with HD, but until then it is pretty great.

Quote:

As far as DVDSP goes, Apple should know that TV viewership is at an all-time high - 151 hours/month vs 3 hours/month for internet viewing and 4 hours/month for mobile device viewing. People like watching their TVs, DVDs and Blu-ray aren't going anywhere soon.

Agreed. I mean WTF Apple - get over your BluRay phobia and tell Steve to stop lying to us about phony "licensing" issues.
  • Reply 37 of 73
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

I hate their approach to these DVD authoring applications. Creating DVDs is still extremely important and still the most popular method of distribution. If Adobe would sell Encore separately then I wouldn't care but FCS needs a good DVD application.

Encore cannot author Blu-Ray discs for replication. So it's not a true alternative.
  • Reply 38 of 73
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Yeah it sounds like their knowledge is pretty vague. Though I am a bit worried about Apple's reticence to support Blu-ray. Even as a HD DVD fan I've realize the cold hard truth and iTunes download doesn't help the wedding videographer that needs to deliver HD moments to their clients. I'm going cry foul on this "no Blu-ray" stuff.

I know people in that business who have had to either convert or buy a secondary windows Machine because of having no BluRay support.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Sony lost the Walkman market to the iPod because Sony's studio division sold records.

Wouldn't it be hilarious if Apple lost market share because they sold downloads?

It happens when you're either ahead or behind the market. I think Apple believed that digital movies would have taken over by now. They don't seem to quite get that Digital Movies have their own bags of hurt equal to, if not worse than Blu-Ray, and that most of the non-tech savvy world really wants something physical they use on their TV.
  • Reply 39 of 73
    shookstershookster Posts: 113member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Northgate View Post

How, exactly, is a brand new, from the ground up, re-write of the FCP code an @ss update?

And you know that how exactly?
  • Reply 40 of 73
    theninothenino Posts: 1member
    Just started a petition urging Apple to support Blu-ray!

Please sign and spread the word!!!

http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/applebluray/