Testing agency certifying new 4GB, 32GB iPhones?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Apple is just covering it's bases with all these models.

Jobs are still declining and people might well only be able to buy the 4GB model with stripped features and lower monthly fees.

Of course the smart people will buy the model with the most memory, this way they avoid the problem of having to need more space later, thus being able to keep their iPhone longer.

IMMO Apple is going to decide based upon what people are buying and switch gears a few weeks/months after release.

I'm excited about this iPhone, Apple has decided what people want and put those features it into this version.
  • Reply 22 of 61
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macslut View Post

It makes no sense for Apple to come out with a 4GB iPhone. Very few people would buy it, and the cost savings would be insignificant...I'd bet it would even cost more since there would be costs associated with having the additional model, and lost sales due to people not buying as much media and apps from Apple.

Well, there can be a benefit to having a scaled down, cheap phone that no one wants. The adds can say "Get an amazing iPhone for only $49 (with contract)" and it could bring in to the stores folks who want a iPhone, but can't see paying more up front. Then when they get in the store: "well, that is a good phone, but for just XXX$ more you can have more memory and a faster processor and..." Cha ching--you sold a 200$ iPhone (with contract) to someone who never would have entered the store to spend that kind of money...

That has not been Apple's game in the past, but an argument can be made that it would work well in the cell phone arena...
  • Reply 23 of 61
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

If true, I can't see where an 8GB model could be anything but a $99 phone (it seems reasonable to assume that the current $199 slot will be taken by a 16GB model), which might suggest that a 4GB model (if actually sold in the US) would be free.

That would certainly change the dynamic now, wouldn't it?

The 4GB extra NAND doesn?t cost anywhere $99, so unless Apple also reduces other components I can?t see that option if the 8GB is $99 and identical in every other sense.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by P L View Post

4GbIf true, probably aimed toward the young. MMS, iChat, Facebook, 2mp Camera etc. "Or China".

The China variable may not be relevant to this post as it relates to a standards body in the US, perhaps one of the radio testing companies that works in conjunction with the FCC. Perhaps they?d test it in the US and then again in China, but I?m thinking that would not be likely unless the 4GB model is also planned for the US market.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tac22 View Post

and take note that image is not actual product... so the chrome bezel still may be black in the next gen

I?d figure that the chrome bordered models would be the higher-end versions and the chrome-less models would be the lower-end. This is my guess based on the less attractive mock ups I?ve seen without the chrome, but what do I know, I think the Zune HD looks nice.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

Ummm....didn't Apple do exactly that when they introduced the iPod mini and the iPod shuffle? Both had less memory than their predecessors.

Those other devices were completely different classes of PMPs geared toward different types of customers, not just customers wanting to spend less.
  • Reply 24 of 61
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Apple better not price the 32gb at $399. Or they will open themselves up for another whippin like they got in the 1990's.

If the 32gb is more than $299 come next week I'm going to buy a return 16gb 3g and wait until microsoft or palm comes out with something.

New xbox features announced today are nice
  • Reply 25 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macslut View Post

It makes no sense for Apple to come out with a 4GB iPhone. Very few people would buy it, and the cost savings would be insignificant...I'd bet it would even cost more since there would be costs associated with having the additional model, and lost sales due to people not buying as much media and apps from Apple.

Just for the apps

I bought a 16gb for my wife and it's too much for her. And most music can be had streamed over the Internet
  • Reply 26 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

Apple better not price the 32gb at $399. Or they will open themselves up for another whippin like they got in the 1990's.

If the 32gb is more than $299 come next week I'm going to buy a return 16gb 3g and wait until microsoft or palm comes out with something.

You may be disappointed. Using the iPod Touch prices released last September, the 8GB is $229, 16GB is $299 and the 32GB is $399. I don?t know how much NAND has come down since last year and we can assume that the next iPhone will have a better camera, faster CPU, and more RAM.

It would be nice if the 32GB iPhone matched the current 16GB iPhone price, but I don?t think that the price of 16GB NAND last year equals the price of 32GB NAND this year. And if the AT&T?s lowers their bottom-tier required pricing plan it may mean that the initial cost of the HW for the higher-end models will go up, which could be a reason why Apple is also releasing more models.
  • Reply 27 of 61
    this is tech, every year you're supposed to get more for same price or less money

flash came down in price, a lot. check newegg for usb flash drive prices

and the touch isn't paid for over 2 years like the Jesus Phone
  • Reply 28 of 61
    Quote:

this is tech, every year you're supposed to get more for same price or less money

flash came down in price, a lot. check newegg for usb flash drive prices

and the touch isn't paid for over 2 years like the Jesus Phone

1) Tech getting cheaper does not mean that it will necessarily double speed/capacity every year at that same price point.

2) You have to consider the other HW changes potentially arriving in the device, not just the capacity. (eg: ARMv7 Cortex-A8, double RAM, higher category HSDPA, HSUPA inclusion, higher Mpx camera, better CMOS, higher resolution display, denser battery, magnetometer, sonic screwdriver)

3) The iPhone is paid for every month to Apple, it?s AT&T that is making their initial subsidization loss back every month for two years. Hence my comment regarding initial price changes if AT&T changes their plan options.

4) Please don?t refer to gadgetry as a divine being, it?s just a tool.
  • Reply 29 of 61
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The 4GB extra NAND doesn?t cost anywhere $99, so unless Apple also reduces other components I can?t see that option if the 8GB is $99 and identical in every other sense.

As I said in another thread, Apple doesn't tier its prices according to component costs, it tiers its prices to maximize up-sell.
  • Reply 30 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) Tech getting cheaper does not mean that it will necessarily double speed/capacity every year at that same price point.

2) You have to consider the other HW changes potentially arriving in the device, not just the capacity. (eg: ARMv7 Cortex-A8, double RAM, higher category HSDPA, HSUPA inclusion, higher Mpx camera, better CMOS, higher resolution display, denser battery, magnetometer, sonic screwdriver)

3) The iPhone is paid for every month to Apple, it?s AT&T that is making their initial subsidization loss back every month for two years. Hence my comment regarding initial price changes if AT&T changes their plan options.

4) Please don?t refer to gadgetry as a divine being, it?s just a tool.

i remember when PC's cost $5000

every year it was faster, more memory, less money. every new generation of chips is cheaper to make than the last generation.

cheapest 32GB flash card is $90 at NewEgg. Apple is probably paying no more than $20. about the same price as 16GB cost last year. chips are no twice as dense
  • Reply 31 of 61
    Quote:

every year it was faster, more memory, less money. every new generation of chips is cheaper to make than the last generation.

cheapest 32GB flash card is $90 at NewEgg. Apple is probably paying no more than $20. about the same price as 16GB cost last year. chips are no twice as dense

Yet none of that states that capacity doubles every year while maintaining the same pricepoint.
  • Reply 32 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

As I said in another thread, Apple doesn't tier its prices according to component costs, it tiers its prices to maximize up-sell.

Good point.
  • Reply 33 of 61
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Quote:

What part of this portion of solipsism's post did you not understand: "2) You have to consider the other HW changes potentially arriving in the device, not just the capacity. (eg: ARMv7 Cortex-A8, double RAM, higher category HSDPA, HSUPA inclusion, higher Mpx camera, better CMOS, higher resolution display, denser battery, magnetometer, sonic screwdriver)".

Please take a moment to actually read things before spouting off.
  • Reply 34 of 61
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MTO View Post

I hope like hell the iPhone doesn't go cheep! I like it being exclusive I don't want everyone and their brother having the same phone as me. I want them to remain jealous because their to cheep to pay for the jesus phone. Grrr

I hope the 4 gigger is for other countries and get the 32 and 16.

Oh and I am hoping that bezel is a frosted (sand blasted) chrome like every other aluminum product Apple makes. If this would be the case then with the matt back the phone would almost perfectly match my iMac.

From what I can tell from those pictures floating around the chrome logo and all the other stuff is not polished silver like on the current handset.

I wouldn't worry too much about your iphone experience being exclusive. Your command of the English language is sure to invoke the jealousy of the masses. Grrr indeed.
  • Reply 35 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MTO View Post

I hope like hell the iPhone doesn't go cheep! I like it being exclusive I don't want everyone and their brother having the same phone as me. I want them to remain jealous because their to cheep to pay for the jesus phone. Grrr

I hope the 4 gigger is for other countries and get the 32 and 16.

Oh and I am hoping that bezel is a frosted (sand blasted) chrome like every other aluminum product Apple makes. If this would be the case then with the matt back the phone would almost perfectly match my iMac.

From what I can tell from those pictures floating around the chrome logo and all the other stuff is not polished silver like on the current handset.

Can someone translate?
  • Reply 36 of 61
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lightstriker View Post

That's too many models. Apple usually keeps it to 2 or 3 models to reduce costumer confusion.

It is actually one model and 4 configurations. ;-)

I'm more interested in the possibility of a 64Gb iPod Touch.
  • Reply 37 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

What part of this portion of solipsism's post did you not understand: "2) You have to consider the other HW changes potentially arriving in the device, not just the capacity. (eg: ARMv7 Cortex-A8, double RAM, higher category HSDPA, HSUPA inclusion, higher Mpx camera, better CMOS, higher resolution display, denser battery, magnetometer, sonic screwdriver)".

Please take a moment to actually read things before spouting off.

The exact same thing happened with computers. 1994 a $5000 computer had no network card, no modem, no 3d graphics, no cd, etc. Every year the price dropped, more memory, more storage and the newest gizmo was now included and it cost less than the year before.

My work issued blackberry 8330 has a video camera. And that's like the cheapest bb around
  • Reply 38 of 61
    Quote:

The exact same thing happened with computers. 1994 a $5000 computer had no network card, no modem, no 3d graphics, no cd, etc. Every year the price dropped, more memory, more storage and the newest gizmo was now included and it cost less than the year before.

OK. Good point.
  • Reply 39 of 61
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Can someone translate?

Yes, I'm fluent in over 6 million forms of communication.

It's a strange dialect...

...I think he said he likes the iPhone and will buy one of each version to place in his secret closet shrine.
  • Reply 40 of 61
    and the iphone 3g is cheaper than gen1