iPhone 3G users to pay $200 premium for early upgrade to iPhone 3G S

1161718192022»

Comments

• Reply 421 of 429
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    Sell my 16GB 3G iPhone and pay off my contract while I get a new contract for the 3GS? How much is it worth out of contract? I tried $325 and got 6 inquiries so now I raised it to $449
  • Reply 422 of 429
    txappletxapple Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poochie543 View Post

I signed a 2 year contract with my iphone last July, but for some reason, the ATT site says I can upgrade on 12/22/2009. What's the deal?

Same here when I preordered at the apple store. Why is my date 12/22 and not the date in july that i ordered last year ... hmmm? I paid the 200 upgrade fee cause I just suck like that.
  • Reply 423 of 429
    so how's this for random?

My wife and I are on a family plan and we have been ever since May of 2008. We switched over for the 3G. I got mine on day 1 and she got hers on August 15th. When I check my number's availability for an upgrade it says I have to wait until 3/10/2010. That seems like one of the dates that a lot of people have been getting. But, when I check on my wife's number she's able to get one on the 15th of this year.

Makes absolutely no sense.
  • Reply 424 of 429
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nathansmart View Post

so how's this for random?

My wife and I are on a family plan and we have been ever since May of 2008. We switched over for the 3G. I got mine on day 1 and she got hers on August 15th. When I check my number's availability for an upgrade it says I have to wait until 3/10/2010. That seems like one of the dates that a lot of people have been getting. But, when I check on my wife's number she's able to get one on the 15th of this year.

Makes absolutely no sense.

On the 15th of this year? What month?
  • Reply 425 of 429
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

On the 15th of this year? What month?

Whoops! - 8/15/09

The random part about it is that we are on the same bill and have made the same payments so it doesn't have to do with missing any payments (which didn't happen) and I got my 3G before her.

I guess the only thing that they might have considered is that she was on AT&T I think for a couple of weeks longer than I - but than that is just even more ridiculous that they would drop seven months because of a couple of weeks service loyalty.
  • Reply 426 of 429
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Whoops! - 8/15/09

The random part about it is that we are on the same bill and have made the same payments so it doesn't have to do with missing any payments (which didn't happen) and I got my 3G before her.

I guess the only thing that they might have considered is that she was on AT&T I think for a couple of weeks longer than I - but than that is just even more ridiculous that they would drop seven months because of a couple of weeks service loyalty.

Sounds like you might have a reasonable argument to make to customer service. I'm sure they're getting a ton of calls and for the most part are just repeating the terms of the service contract, but your situation is odd enough that you might be able to get somebody to go off script and cut you some slack.
  • Reply 427 of 429
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by txapple View Post

Same here when I preordered at the apple store. Why is my date 12/22 and not the date in july that i ordered last year ... hmmm? I paid the 200 upgrade fee cause I just suck like that.

I finally had a moment of clarity last night:

It only costs $120 to early kill the old account - $175-$55 ($5 a month credit) = $120 - right after you swap your phone numbers after your NEW purchase at an Apple Store Friday and you will be able to easily sell your 3G for $300-$400 depending on the size and color - white is more valuable - on Craig's List. So redo your reservation as a NEW Account to save $80. Even if you keep your 3G it only cost you $120 instead of $200.

A new 16GB 3GS out of contract costs $599 so a 16GB 3G @ $399 is a very fair price (as long as it's not dinged or scratched) and that price should be obtainable for a while since all new 16GB 3G iPhones will disappear soon. So don't even worry about how long it will take to sell on Craig's List for FREE.
  • Reply 428 of 429
    Since you mentioned she had been on AT&T before you were, I would bet her number is the primary account (device) of your family plan.

That makes total sense that she is eligible in 12 months versus the 18 months because of the family plan with two iPhones generates less revenue compared to two iPhones each on individual plans.

Individual plans >~$100 can upgrade in 12 months , >~$70/mo become eligible in 18 months or so.

Assuming your monthly bill is around 160-180, you essentially have one phone with 1 year eligibility if allocate 100 of fee, and the other phone with 70 fee.

Upgrade eligibility date is almost solely based on the amount of the monthly payment -- with respect to the amount of subsidy received. The higher the monthly payment, the quicker the subsidy is recaptured which will push the eligibility date up.

Quote:

Whoops! - 8/15/09

• Reply 429 of 429
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

I finally had a moment of clarity last night:

It only costs $120 to early kill the old account - $175-$55 ($5 a month credit) = $120 - right after you swap your phone numbers after your NEW purchase at an Apple Store Friday and you will be able to easily sell your 3G for $300-$400 depending on the size and color - white is more valuable - on Craig's List. So redo your reservation as a NEW Account to save $80. Even if you keep your 3G it only cost you $120 instead of $200.

From what I?ve read, if you cancel your account you can?t sign up again with that carrier using the canceled SSN for 60 days. What you can do it make it a family plan by adding an account for the $10 for voice and $30 for data, and then cancel your other phone. But I don?t think they will let will let you swap numbers that way and the price is reaching $180 if they don?t let prorate the account before you cancel the other one.