WOW absolutely furious!!

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    admactaniumadmactanium Posts: 812member
    Jeez. I stood in line for the iPhone 3G as well and I just don't see what people are so angry about. If you had to wait until December like some folks are saying then yeah, that's weird and arbitrary. But three weeks? What is so important about that 3 weeks to actually let it affect your life negatively. If you've liked the 3G for the past year, is it so torturous to use it for 3 more weeks? A whole year?
  • Reply 22 of 43
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by admactanium View Post

Jeez. I stood in line for the iPhone 3G as well and I just don't see what people are so angry about. If you had to wait until December like some folks are saying then yeah, that's weird and arbitrary. But three weeks? What is so important about that 3 weeks to actually let it affect your life negatively. If you've liked the 3G for the past year, is it so torturous to use it for 3 more weeks? A whole year?

Its Apple's fault. They put on a decent show and now your blaming people for wanting to upgrade now?

Of course its going to hurt to wait another whole year to upgrade so they can get out of their contract.
  • Reply 23 of 43
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Its Apple's fault. They put on a decent show and now your blaming people for wanting to upgrade now?

Of course its going to hurt to wait another whole year to upgrade so they can get out of their contract.

Yeah, your right. Apple shouldn't release new products and stay ahead of the competition. It's better for Apple's business model to wait for ATT to offer everyone a cheaper price before they release new stuff. What was Apple thinking?
  • Reply 24 of 43
    ebaydan777ebaydan777 Posts: 269member
    its not the fact of 3 weeks of waiting, its the fact that ive been a loyal iphone customer since the first day the iphone came out, as well as the first day the 3G has come out...i think its just ridiculous we have to wait 3 weeks for this phone to come out, i dont understand what the big deal for at&t would be to just renew a 2 year contract...

this might just make me wanna switch to t-mobile and get the HTC Magic this month...guess well see now that i have a month to decide..

not to mention their bitch-ness on MMS...how ridiculous at&t is the worst company ive ever dealt with by far
  • Reply 25 of 43
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    You can upgrade for $599.

Unfortunately last time the iPhone 3G was out, you choose a "Buy now Pay Later" plan. You had a choice. Apple gave you a $600 at cost iPhone, for $199. In exchange you AGREED to pay off the phone before you bought a new one over X number of months. Since you haven't paid off your iPhone, why would they give you a brand new one at discount?

If you offer to pay off the value of your current iPhone they will IN FACT BE HAPPY TO UPGRADE YOU.

Realize that the iPhone they are selling COSTS MORE TO MAKE than the price they are selling it for (losing money on it) so if you want to buy it outright that's $599.

Don't like it? Then you shouldn't have agreed to a plan that offered you a discount in exchange for 2 years of monthly payments. You DID HAVE options when you purchased the iPhone 3G, you could have paid for it up front.

Don't like the terms of the loan you got? Then DON'T AGREE TO THEM.

Sorry I have no sympathy for anyone in this position. 2 years is how long it takes for them to recover the amount of discount they gave you. Or you could ask them to bill you an extra $100/month for 6 months until you finish paying.

Just like with ANY BANK loan, if you don't finish paying on it, you have to return the product. (Yes if you cancelled your plan now AT&T would ask for your iPhone back, because according to terms you signed, they have the right to recollect it until full term of your lease is up (2year term sheet)
  • Reply 26 of 43
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    Also if you purchased the iPhone 1, iPhone 3G at/or near launch day, your contract will allow you to get the upgrade pricing because they have recovered their initial loss.

I bought both on launch day and I'm qualified to get it at the discount price, however I'm not going to because I want to get the next iPhone in a year at discount price.
  • Reply 27 of 43
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

A contract you signed a year ago for the 3G should have NOTHING to do with a new contract that you would sign to get the GS. If they wanted to, ATT could write the new contract to amend or supersede the original contract and therefore give you the lower price.

You are right, they could. But they paid Apple $400 on your behalf when you did the first 2 year contract. Now you want them to do it again without them getting the benefit of the contract? How is that sound business sense at all?

Be angry at AT&T for real stuff - like lack of tethering and MMS at launch.
  • Reply 28 of 43
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Do you all have to sign a contract to use your landline phone?

Contracts are now primitive and totally not necessary. They need to go away. And since its going to take a corporate bloodbath to make that happen I'm going to thoroughly enjoy watching companies like AT&T get eaten alive by other new wireless network companies who position their business so as not to need contracts.

We're not at that point but I hope we will be soon.

You're so right. Why I think I should just pay a General Contractor, without a contract, to build me a new home. After all, contracts are so archaic.

That new Porsche I'm eye-in' I say to hell with the contract and it's warranty.
  • Reply 29 of 43
    Quote:

What other whole year? My upgrade date is 3 weeks away. I'm not sure I'm even going to upgrade it but I don't think I'm going to suffer greatly if someone else has the iPhone 3Gs 3 weeks before I do. And like I said, I was a line-waiter for the 3G. But at some point it becomes ridiculous to let the timeline of gadget availability genuinely make you angry, especially when you've been happy with the current version.
  • Reply 30 of 43
    ok well heres one thing i really dont get

my roommate purchased the 3G last year on launch day with me on my account..so he signed the same agreement

except when i look up his eligibility it says he cant upgrade until 08/11/2010, thats a month longer than the 2 year contract that he signed in july of 2008, the same contract i signed

how does that even make sense?
  • Reply 31 of 43
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by admactanium View Post

What other whole year? My upgrade date is 3 weeks away. I'm not sure I'm even going to upgrade it but I don't think I'm going to suffer greatly if someone else has the iPhone 3Gs 3 weeks before I do. And like I said, I was a line-waiter for the 3G. But at some point it becomes ridiculous to let the timeline of gadget availability genuinely make you angry, especially when you've been happy with the current version.

Three weeks isn't that long at all so I guess your lucky. But others who upgraded to the 3G last year will either have to wait another year to upgrade or pay another $218.00 above the cost of the new iphone 3Gs if they want to upgrade.

So I guess that would suck for them.
  • Reply 32 of 43
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

... and NOT waiting 3 whole long weeks to get your new phone is really that critical?... It's not like your old phone spontaneously combusts simply because there is a newer model available. Keep using the one you were perfectly happy with yesterday for an additional 3 weeks, then get your new one.

Agreed! I don't get why everyone just has to have everything Apple releases right then and there. Apple will be selling this phone for the next 12 months. iPhone 3.0 OS is available for FREE for all iPhone users. So you will get all of the functionality of iPhone 3.0 OS. What on the new phone is so special that you just have to have it the day it arrives?

I'm JUST upgrading from the original iPhone from 2yrs ago. It functioned fine and still does. It didn't automatically just stop working just because a new phone or new phone OS was released. It works great and I'll either find it a happy home, or keep it to use as a touchscreen iPod.

This by no means is Apple's fault. Its not even AT&T's fault. YOU signed an agreement for 2yrs when you got your 3G iPhone last year. Just like when I got my original iPhone, I had a 2yr agreement with Verizon which I canceled and paid an early termination fee of $180. AT&T will let you terminate your agreement, but you'll have to pay out your ass because of it or return the phone (whatever their policy is). AT&T doesn't make any money off the phone, they make their money off the monthly bills we all get for using the iPhone on their network.
  • Reply 33 of 43
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Sorry, but I've got to weigh in on the side of "grow up".

You can have a new phone if you pay for a new phone.

Your current phone was paid for partially at the time of purchase and partially with monthly payments through the term of the contract. Same thing with the new phone. You either have to finish paying for the original or pay full/unsubsidized price for the new phone.
  • Reply 34 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ebaydan777 View Post

ok well heres one thing i really dont get

my roommate purchased the 3G last year on launch day with me on my account..so he signed the same agreement

except when i look up his eligibility it says he cant upgrade until 08/11/2010, thats a month longer than the 2 year contract that he signed in july of 2008, the same contract i signed

how does that even make sense?

It doesn't make any sense. I too, activated 2 iPhones on launch day and my GF is due for an upgrade on 12/12/09, while mine says 03/12/2010. I'd like to know how they come up with that?

Regardless, my iPhone 3G was crushed about 2 weeks ago, so either way I'm paying for an iPhone contract and I don't have an iPhone at all, so I have to bend over and take it. I'll be paying $499 for the 32GB 3GS on Friday.

So, needless to say, the GF will upgrade in December when she becomes upgrade ready, which I would do as well, but I need a phone now.

I've always thought of insurance as a waste of money, but at this point in time I wish they offered insurance.
  • Reply 35 of 43
    i actually have allstate car insurance on my phone haha, well i used to...now ill have it on my new phone thats for sure

i called my local allstate agent they actually have an article for miscellaneous electronic equipment protection

cost me $35/year and i used it twice, no deductible the first use/year and $20 deductible everytime after. just wrote me a check for a broken iphone and a lost iphone, went the next day and bought a new one...
  • Reply 36 of 43
    elronelron Posts: 126member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ebaydan777 View Post

its not the fact of 3 weeks of waiting, its the fact that ive been a loyal iphone customer since the first day the iphone came out, as well as the first day the 3G has come out...i think its just ridiculous we have to wait 3 weeks for this phone to come out, i dont understand what the big deal for at&t would be to just renew a 2 year contract...

this might just make me wanna switch to t-mobile and get the HTC Magic this month...guess well see now that i have a month to decide..

not to mention their bitch-ness on MMS...how ridiculous at&t is the worst company ive ever dealt with by far

Shut up you fucking baby. You sound like a 3 year old throwing a tantrum 'cause mommy won't buy him a candy bar.

You have to wait 3 weeks. Three weeks. Not a year. Not even a month. Three. Fucking. Weeks.

You must have been hell around Christmas time when you were a kid...
  • Reply 37 of 43
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    Quote:

Three weeks isn't that long at all so I guess your lucky. But others who upgraded to the 3G last year will either have to wait another year to upgrade or pay another $218.00 above the cost of the new iphone 3Gs if they want to upgrade.

So I guess that would suck for them.

I bought my phone 7/12/2008 last year. 3G. I can upgrade to a 3Gs on 7/12/2009. So a month. No problem.
  • Reply 38 of 43
    alexisalexis Posts: 82member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Sorry, but I've got to weigh in on the side of "grow up".

You can have a new phone if you pay for a new phone.

Your current phone was paid for partially at the time of purchase and partially with monthly payments through the term of the contract. Same thing with the new phone. You either have to finish paying for the original or pay full/unsubsidized price for the new phone.

I agree with you. Personally, I'm waiting until next year - the 3.0 update is good enough for me!

-Lex
  • Reply 39 of 43
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I really don't understand the whole "loyal iPhone customer" notion.

People bought a phone they wanted. Maybe they bought a better model when that became available. It's not like they entered into a medieval blood relationship, or demonstrated to AT&T some kind of fealty deserving of reward. Everyone who has a phone on a carrier for more than the initial two year contract is exactly as "loyal" as the average iPhone user, so why would anyone expect AT&T to be persuaded by that line of reasoning?

And what does "loyalty" even have to do with? Loyalty is what you express to family, friends and principles, not consumer toys or corporations.

I dunno. There's this tone of betrayal, as if re-upping an iPhone were a gesture of trust. Which is insane.
  • Reply 40 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I really don't understand the whole "loyal iPhone customer" notion.

People bought a phone they wanted. Maybe they bought a better model when that became available. It's not like they entered into a medieval blood relationship, or demonstrated to AT&T some kind of fealty deserving of reward. Everyone who has a phone on a carrier for more than the initial two year contract is exactly as "loyal" as the average iPhone user, so why would anyone expect AT&T to be persuaded by that line of reasoning?

And what does "loyalty" even have to do with? Loyalty is what you express to family, friends and principles, not consumer toys or corporations.

I dunno. There's this tone of betrayal, as if re-upping an iPhone were a gesture of trust. Which is insane.

Exactly. it's not like Apple keeps a list like Santa Claus of who is or isn't a loyal Apple customer. Hell, I've been buying Apple products pretty regularly since 1993. But when you enter a contract with a wireless carrier and that carrier subsidizes the price of the phone you buy, that's the breaks. I didn't pay $400-$600 for the iPhone 3G upfront and I realize that the reason I was able to buy it for $200 was because of a subsidy. When my Treo 700p was stolen I went to the Verizon store and had to buy a new smart phone at full price. I wasn't within my upgrade window for reduced pricing. Wow, big deal. That's the way those contracts work. Maybe I could have made a big scene about it but I agreed to the contract and I signed it. Plus I guess my dignity is worth more than a couple hundred bucks.