Apple's iPhone 3G S sports 600MHz chip, oleophobic coating

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 69
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

You have the number one post for this thread position. For years to come your post will set the over all tone for this topic..Could you at lesst try to be funny. Go back and edit now and make us chuckle.

Dude

Dude that was hilarious! So true of us all, me included...we here at AI we always have critiques SECONDS after Apple products are announced! Some are right on, some are nuts. Either way, Apple should probably be paying us to post here...right?

Oleophobic...good, I eat a loooot of pizza.
  • Reply 62 of 69
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

Nobody is going to carry around a pad with them who isn't already carrying around a portable game to begin with. There's 320x240 of touchscreen to play with, which is probably enough for most 8 and 16 bit consoles.

That use of an absolute is silly.

Maybe you misunderstand what is meant by a d-pad as you left off the d?
  • Reply 63 of 69
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    I'd never thought I'd read an AppleInsider with the word oleophobic. Ah, takes me back to my much hated Chemistry classes in high school and a few at university level. Organic Chemistry. Hated that subject.

Could AppleInsider have used the word "oil-resistant"? Who knows. Kudos to AppleInsider to educating the kids of today. LOL I know I'm not making much sense. It's that time of the afternoon.
  • Reply 64 of 69
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Where did you find out the composition of Apple's coating? Is this just an assumption that it's polymethylsiloxane?

I claim no insider info here but I am an organic and physical chemist and have access to relevant journals. A SciWeb scan of the primary and review literature indicates this is the best and most likely coating (though maybe a different manufacture process to the exotic research method). The excellent review in the 2004 eThesis suggests PDMSiO.

"Large amount of experimental work has been done in order to understand and optimize the deposition process of diamond-like carbon (DLC) with the filtered pulsed arc discharge (FPAD) method. Ultra-thick (up to 200 μm), high-quality (amount of sp3 diamond bonds >80%) DLC coatings with superior adhesion and can be deposited with the FPAD method. A modification of the FPAD deposition system has led to the development of a totally new group of materials, namely DLC-polymer-hybrid coatings. The novel coatings can be made water and oil repellent with suitable polymers, such as the polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS). DLC-PDMS-h coatings that are hard and hydrophobic have been successfully prepared. These coatings have low sliding angles for water and oil, furthermore, they cannot be marked with common marker pens and oil drops slide down their surface leaving no trace on them."
  • Reply 65 of 69
    tomkarltomkarl Posts: 239member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Are there really people who don't spend $10 and put a cover on their screen? It's the first thing I did and I wipe the fingerprints off of mine by just rubbing it on my shirt. No big deal...

Actually, it was a three pack of protectors for $20 and I'm on #2 a year later...

No cover on my 1st gen iPhone and the glass is still in great condition two years later. I also just wipe it on the nearest soft cloth to remove fingerprints.

It's glass, I've never understood peoples need to cover it with plastic/vinyl.
  • Reply 66 of 69
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

That use of an absolute is silly.

Maybe you misunderstand what is meant by a d-pad as you left off the d?

Well then, that settles it. You can be the one who puts up the cash to make and market it.
  • Reply 67 of 69
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

Well then, that settles it. You can be the one who puts up the cash to make and market it.

There are folks already doing this. http://www.icontrolpad.com/

Looks like a few guys in a basement kinda thing so a real company could churn these out quickly, perhaps even with a battery as part of it. It would be better as an Apple accessory or part of an official Apple SDK but someone will take the market even if Apple doesn't help.

And yes, it would be simpler to just carry the iphone in a d-pad case rather than a phone and a PSP or GBA or DS...
  • Reply 68 of 69
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enzos View Post

I claim no insider info here but I am an organic and physical chemist and have access to relevant journals. A SciWeb scan of the primary and review literature indicates this is the best and most likely coating (though maybe a different manufacture process to the exotic research method). The excellent review in the 2004 eThesis suggests PDMSiO.

Best perhaps but probably not from a cost standpoint. There are other candidates for the coating, but I guess we'll have to agree to disagree since there's no conclusive evidence of exactly what Apple's coating is.

I realized that Virgil-TB2 is wrong. The iPhone does not use tempered glass. It's run of the mill annealed glass, with a film laminate behind it. Tempered glass would be a terrible choice for a consumer device, especially one that thin. The smallest scratch that penetrated the surface would shatter the entire front. That's what tempered glass does, as anyone who's ever seen the results of a broken side window on a car knows. I've seen enough broken iPhones with cracked glass to know it can't possibly be tempered. Besides, tempered glass can't be made that thin, last I saw. I think around 1/8" is about the limit.
  • Reply 69 of 69
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Best perhaps but probably not from a cost standpoint. There are other candidates for the coating, but I guess we'll have to agree to disagree since there's no conclusive evidence of exactly what Apple's coating is.

Agreed; there are more mundane alternatives .. perhaps of the silicone bakeware coating type http://tinyurl.com/mqn7qa (cheap, tough, non-toxic and environmentally OK but not as insanely great as the stuff from Helsinki U.

-Enz