Apple sees 11 million downloads of Safari 4 in three days

245

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 100
    Why would there be more PC downloads than Mac for Safari 4.



    Total 11 million.



    6 million PC



    This mean 5 million Mac.



    Doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.
  • Reply 22 of 100
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Safari is great, but I find its lack of multiprocess architecture and sandboxing to be disturbing.

    I'm already playing around with the pre-alpha builds of Chromium, and can't wait until there is a stable release of Google Chrome for Mac OS X.
  • Reply 23 of 100
    rokkenrokken Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bonklers View Post


    I notice that the tab can be dragged out to its own window, BUT how can i drag that window back to the tabs?? That seems like a pretty common sense feature that should be available. the solution is INCLUDE THE OPTION to have the tabs on the title bar and make tabs show up even if there is only one window.



    just drag the tab in that window back to the tab bar of the previous window. how hard is that?
  • Reply 24 of 100
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rei_vilo View Post


    I contributed to this 11 million record. I downloaded Safari 4.0 and tested it on my iMac 20" G5 (I known, it's not the latest release). What I've found:



    Heavy and slow program - more resources are used and the response time is slow, especially for additional features like the Topsites page.



    Complicated interface - the address bar is a mess, combining too many buttons. The tabs are bigger so fewer pages could be opened simultaneously.



    Poor ergonomics - there's no more a progress bar, but a nice message saying "Downloading". I want ergonomics back!



    And the end of the day, I deleted Safari 4.0 and went back to Safari 3.2.3. So 11,000,000 minus one.



    Light and fast, ergonomic and reliable.



    Other than top pages being slow, everything else should be noticeably faster. If not, there is something wrong with your Mac. (corrupted software, or bad hardware)



    As for "ergonomics", well that's probably the wrong term. Ergonomics deals more with physical fatigue, discomfort, or injury. "Usability" would be a better term in this context.
  • Reply 25 of 100
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,314member
    Are all the trolls here freelance or paid I wonder



    Safari 4 working great on iBook G4 (10 years old) running 10.5.7 through to latest MacBooks and Mac Pro here. Also on Vista, 7 and XP Pro under both VMWare and Parallels. Great job Apple.
  • Reply 26 of 100
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,756member
    Good. Safari is good stuff. Certainly a lot better than that non-compliant garbage IE. IE needs to die, already.



    Plus it's Webkit, so you've the #1 engine out there.
  • Reply 27 of 100
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rei_vilo View Post


    And (sic) the end of the day, I deleted Safari 4.0 and went back to Safari 3.2.3. Light and fast, ergonomic and reliable.



    You win! You have successfully found the exact opposite of what most everyone else found. You must be so proud to be a unique person out of the other 11 million of us.



    What's next?

    You find Daytime dark?

    do round things now appear square to you?
  • Reply 28 of 100
    randythotrandythot Posts: 109member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Seahawk Fan 2 View Post


    Why would there be more PC downloads than Mac for Safari 4.



    Total 11 million.



    6 million PC



    This mean 5 million Mac.



    Doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.



    maybe because IE is that bad?

    Safari is at least better than IE, and an alternative to Firefox.



    The 6 million may also explain why they changed back the tabs...I would imagine the PC switcher factor may be in play.
  • Reply 29 of 100
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post


    Safari is great, but I find its lack of multiprocess architecture and sandboxing to be disturbing.

    I'm already playing around with the pre-alpha builds of Chromium, and can't wait until there is a stable release of Google Chrome for Mac OS X.



    I'm surprised they didn't add multiple processes for tabs also, since it would be pretty easy to do.



    However, there is actually lots of new sandboxing on Safari 4, just nothing to do with the tabs.
  • Reply 30 of 100
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bonklers View Post


    I notice that the tab can be dragged out to its own window, BUT how can i drag that window back to the tabs?? That seems like a pretty common sense feature that should be available. the solution is INCLUDE THE OPTION to have the tabs on the title bar and make tabs show up even if there is only one window.



    Window/Merge All Windows. No keyboard shortcut, afaik.
  • Reply 31 of 100
    Is it just me or does safari crash more often then its predecessors on 10.5.7 /



    Or is it as usual the Flash Plugin that gets the blame



    1st gen MB, 12.5GB, 10.5.7
  • Reply 32 of 100
    randythotrandythot Posts: 109member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post


    Safari is great, but I find its lack of multiprocess architecture and sandboxing to be disturbing.

    I'm already playing around with the pre-alpha builds of Chromium, and can't wait until there is a stable release of Google Chrome for Mac OS X.



    I don't know how extensive it will be (mp arch & sandbox), but it sounds like they're saving that for 64-bit mostly. I'd like to hear a critique of limitations/complications from anyone out there regarding these. Enlighten me!



    ack...Virgil beat me!
  • Reply 33 of 100
    randythotrandythot Posts: 109member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


    Are all the trolls here freelance or paid I wonder



    Safari 4 working great on iBook G4 (10 years old) running 10.5.7 through to latest MacBooks and Mac Pro here. Also on Vista, 7 and XP Pro under both VMWare and Parallels. Great job Apple.



    this may sound like conspiracy, but I've always wondered if some of the editorial staff moonlights as trolls to keep us posting?



    haha
  • Reply 34 of 100
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Seahawk Fan 2 View Post


    Why would there be more PC downloads than Mac for Safari 4.



    Total 11 million.



    6 million PC



    This mean 5 million Mac.



    Doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.



    Because there are more windows users than mac users? Mac has less than 10% market share so even if all mac users downloaded safari, only ~10% of windows users would have to download safari to match. Many mac users also have a PC, so they would naturally download it on both platforms.
  • Reply 35 of 100
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post


    You win! You have successfully found the exact opposite of what most everyone else found. You must be so proud to be a unique person out of the other 11 million of us.



    What's next?

    You find Daytime dark?

    do round things now appear square to you?



    Yeah dude!!!11



    Don't you know that everything Apple does is awesome!!1 And will always be awesome!



    And anyone who disagrees is just a contrarian troll???



    Just like those trolls at macfixit and macintouch, who think they're so cool to point out that Safari 4 is a huge resource hog, has major javascript issues, and can't handle fringe sites like blogger, Apple and Amazon!



    And don't you realize that because I haven't had any problems yet, it also means that no one else has?



    Get on board the Apple express! It's awesome!!1!
  • Reply 36 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post


    Because there are more windows users than mac users? Mac has less than 10% market share so even if all mac users downloaded safari, only ~10% of windows users would have to download safari to match. Many mac users also have a PC, so they would naturally download it on both platforms.



    I seriously doubt that is the case. I don't see a lot of Windows only users downloading a Mac product other than iTunes.



    I'd be more inclined to believe that Apple put them both in the same upgrade window and most users just check Next or OK.



    I prefer Firefox at home and I have to use IE at work.
  • Reply 37 of 100
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    Apple said Friday that more than 11 million copies of its new Safari 4 web browser have been downloaded in the first three days of its release, including more than six million downloads by users of Microsoft's Windows operating systems.



    I guarantee that the majority of those 6 million windows downloads were people that neglected to de-select the "download Safari" option when updating to the new iTunes. Apple is far too pushy with their Safari browser: I don't have it on my computer, so why is the default option set for me to download and install Safari every time I update iTunes?
  • Reply 38 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PKGuy323 View Post


    I love the Safari 4 on my Mac. However, the Windows version at work crashes almost EVERY time I use it. Not a good thing if there are Windows users considering switching to Mac.



    Sounds like it's time to do a clean reinstall of your Windows OS!
  • Reply 39 of 100
    Because its pushed with iTunes like earlier?



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Seahawk Fan 2 View Post


    Why would there be more PC downloads than Mac for Safari 4.



    Total 11 million.



    6 million PC



    This mean 5 million Mac.



    Doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.



  • Reply 40 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post


    You win! You have successfully found the exact opposite of what most everyone else found. You must be so proud to be a unique person out of the other 11 million of us.



    What's next?

    You find Daytime dark?

    do round things now appear square to you?



Sign In or Register to comment.