Apple sees 11 million downloads of Safari 4 in three days

Comments

• Reply 41 of 100
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Sounds like it's time to do a clean reinstall your Windows OS!

Perhaps that would be true if they were getting random crashes on all programs, but that isn't what is described.
  • Reply 42 of 100
    eko425eko425 Posts: 6member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Seahawk Fan 2 View Post

Why would there be more PC downloads than Mac for Safari 4... Doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.

If you take Apple's market share of approximately 7% into account, it makes sense.

Apple only has around 7% of the worldwide market share, so that means 45% of Safari 4 downloads came from a minority of computers. The other 55% came from PCs, which (unfortunately) make up around 90% of the world's computer population.
  • Reply 43 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by replicant View Post

Safari is great but like most people I prefer to use Firefox for its plugins and wait the extra seconds. If there is one thing Apple should learn from the success of the iPhone, it's that a vibrant developer community can only help, especially when you are trailing behind.

I am definitely looking to see more (free) plugins on Safari.

Agreed. Nice as safari is, I still use FF for all my browsing. With toolbars and icons in my BM menubar, it's just nicer and easier to use...
  • Reply 44 of 100
    deanbardeanbar Posts: 113member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bslaght View Post

at least it is on my iMac w/ OS X 10.5.7? However I agree it does seem to be missing on my Vista box.

I'm running Tiger version 10.4.11, but as far as I know Apple are still supposed to be supporting Tiger in all current updates, for the time being. I can't see why Snapback should be on Leopard but not on Tiger.

Are we talking about the same thing? I don't mean the back button, I mean the orange return arrow that used to be at the end of the web address window and in the Google window.

The refresh button seems to have taken its place instead.
  • Reply 45 of 100
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:

I seriously doubt that is the case. I don't see a lot of Windows only users downloading a Mac product other than iTunes.

I'd be more inclined to believe that Apple put them both in the same upgrade window and most users just check Next or OK.

I prefer Firefox at home and I have to use IE at work.

most women don't know about safari so it's a pretty safe way to surf pr0n without getting caught or going through the annoyance of clearing you history all the time in firefox
  • Reply 46 of 100
    deanbardeanbar Posts: 113member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cozagada View Post

why are you guys repeating your posts ?

are you typing on safari 4 ?

Because as I clicked the submit reply button, I noticed that I left the avatars off that I wanted to include. Although I clicked on the stop button (X), it ignored my command and went ahead anyway. So the stop "send" button doesn't seem to work I guess.....
  • Reply 47 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

most women don't know about safari so it's a pretty safe way to surf pr0n without getting caught or going through the annoyance of clearing you history all the time in firefox

If that were the case & I seriously doubt it, all major browsers now have a "Private Browsing" mode so that your history isn't tracked.

My guess was that it was for searching at work but apparently you've found a new use for the feature.
  • Reply 48 of 100
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:

Why would there be more PC downloads than Mac for Safari 4.

Total 11 million.

6 million PC

This mean 5 million Mac.

Doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.

ASK Seahawk Fan 3.
  • Reply 49 of 100
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

yes most did not know about late night red tube . NOW THEY DO .

thanks bundy \
  • Reply 50 of 100
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

Yeah dude!!!11

Don't you know that everything Apple does is awesome!!1

This has actually been true for the last few years. Hence, why you're always hearing about it. Nearly everything Apple has touched over the last few years has turned to gold, and has even moved some other industries forward by leaps and bounds. There is a ridiculous amount of confidence in Apple. They are one of the very, very few companies that are currently acknowledged as recession-proof.

The "hype" is user-driven. It doesn't just fall out of the sky.
  • Reply 51 of 100
    ddubres79ddubres79 Posts: 101member
    While I really do like Safari 4 I have a wide-gamut LCD (for design/photography) and reds burn your eyes out! I'm back to Firefox 3 (with the manual color_management turned on) and everything is calibrated again.

If anyone knows of a similar hack to make Safari play nice with wider gamuts please let me know.
  • Reply 52 of 100
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:

Why would there be more PC downloads than Mac for Safari 4.

Total 11 million.

6 million PC

This mean 5 million Mac.

Doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.

It is like this:

5 million Mac users downloaded Safari for Mac.

Same 5 million Mac users downloaded Safari for their cursed office PCs.

1 million genuine Windows users downloaded Safari for PC to see what is the fuss all about.

1 billion remaining PC and Mac users closed tab with download link in their existing Firefox, IE, Opera, older Safari... and went on with their lives.
  • Reply 53 of 100
    brantbrant Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Option: Tabs on Top. Please

I thought it was really strange that they would strip out a feature from the beta. If the main stream is not up for tabs on top, at least make it an option in the preferences. Until then, I'm not updating from 4 beta.
  • Reply 54 of 100
    Yea, Safari 4 beta was really sluggish on my Mac Pro tower at work. The official release is very fast I must say. It's a pleasure to use.

As a web developer I must say that Firefox is still the browser of choice for it's developer tools and extensibility.
  • Reply 55 of 100
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deanbar View Post

Why have Apple removed such a useful feature as Snapback, in the url window. This used to save a convoluted navigation back to an original web page.

Come on Apple, please bring it back asap.

At least we got back ⌘-click navigation in the title bar.

I've also noticed NetNewsWire seems to have gotten faster after downloading Safari 4. Do they somehow share Webkit?
  • Reply 56 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

ASK Seahawk Fan 3.

He's busy in Mac Rumors dealing with people like you. Seahawk Fan 4 is in MacWorld and Seahawk Fan 5 is browsing the Mobile Forums on Engadget.

I can send you their schedules if you like. I have a Google calendar with their times and places they're scheduled to be browsing.
  • Reply 57 of 100
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rei_vilo View Post

So 11,000,000 minus one = 10,999,999

Make that minus two. I like and use the missing features so I didn?t install it. Still on the last Beta.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

I'm surprised they didn't add multiple processes for tabs also, since it would be pretty easy to do.

However, there is actually lots of new sandboxing on Safari 4, just nothing to do with the tabs.

I?m surprised that Safari doesn?t have it by now. The plug-in sandboxing is great, but having a different process for each tab is needed, too.
  • Reply 58 of 100
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    Apple needs to revert back to the blue progress bar and get rid of the turning gears icon. You don't notice the turning gears icon and think that the webpage you are loading isn't loading properly because it has the URL in the URL bar but is displaying the old webpage you were just looking at. This has confused and irritated just about every Winblows user running Safari and Mac newbies that I know.
  • Reply 59 of 100
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

At least we got back ⌘-click navigation in the title bar.

I've also noticed NetNewsWire seems to have gotten faster after downloading Safari 4. Do they somehow share Webkit?

Yes.

As does Adium, and BowTie,and probably a lot of other apps I don't use.
  • Reply 60 of 100
    umijinumijin Posts: 133member
    11 million downloads and 44 million crashes per day! This thing is buggy, and now won't work with our University's Distance Education site. I also get Flash errors I've never seen before.

Some of my issues were SIMBL related on both my macs - but not all of them.