MapQuest unveils alternative to Google Maps for iPhone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 801 View Post

Competition remains good.

But only if the competition is worth a change. I would consider this app worth a look if it had address book look up - I use it a lot of google maps because I don't know my friends' addresses by heart.

Can't believe they didn't consider that option. Sounds just like them to be one step behind.
  • Reply 22 of 70
    steviet02steviet02 Posts: 594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

Does anyone read carefully anymore? If you go back and read post #4 again you'll clearly see it says COUNTY not COUNTRY.

Not on here, some people like to start the 'gang up him' mentality. In a frenzy to be the first to jump on that wagon, they don't bother reading the post slow enough to comprehend it before posting, that assumes they're actually capable of that type of comprehension.
  • Reply 23 of 70
    dhkostadhkosta Posts: 150member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

Not on here, some people like to start the 'gang up him' mentality. In a frenzy to be the first to jump on that wagon, they don't bother reading the post slow enough to comprehend it before posting, that assumes they're actually capable of that type of comprehension.

It's such a luxury to hide behind a computer screen. I bet cops get the most shit from people on the web and the least shit from people in person.
  • Reply 24 of 70
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member
    MapQuest's squiggly, cutesy icons have always turned me off from day one. They remind me of something I'd see on the back of a kid's Happy Meal or cereal box. Not something to depend on for accuracy and raw functionality.

Do they still have that annoying incremental zoom instead of Google's fluid zoom? Are they still missing mass transit stations and directions? Do they even have some equivalent of Street View yet? And they're talking about leaps forward? Go away MapQuest until you get it right. And when you get it right you won't have to advertise it - we'll know. There's a reason why Google is the preferred map service on so many mobile devices and computers. The fact that it took MapQuest this long to offer a dedicated app speaks volumes about their inability to provide quality technology for such a critical resource where anything less than precision and quality is unacceptable.
  • Reply 25 of 70
    gtl215gtl215 Posts: 242member
    i've been wondering where Mapquest has been the past few years, while GoogleMaps has been hanging them out to dry. Now we know.
  • Reply 26 of 70
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    At least everyone feels the same here about mapquest.

Here is my experience which is old, so I am not sure it is still valid

Printing off directions, the maps were small and you could barely see the roads, however, the ad they places took up lots of space... I am not interested in seeing mapquest ads when I trying to see an enlarge picture of the roads I am driving on.

Second and the last day I used mapquest, driving to a location some distance away which I was not at all familiar with so I use mapquest, did the get me from here to there and printed off the directions. As I got into the car and started to review the direction I notice right down the street from me it tels me to turn on this road then make a left onto the highway, the only problem is that road was an overpass and did not have an on ramp to that highway. At that point I realize if mapquest had no idea the road and highway did not connect I was not going to trust it on the other end where I have no idea of the roads of location.

I know some people who continue to use mapquest and it seems to take them odd ways to get places. Some time less then direct and even through neighborhood when it would be better to just take the highway.
  • Reply 27 of 70
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

wow, "my state", "my country" .... feels very welcoming to people who live in your area.

By the way what does your response have to do with iPhone? If you wanna complain, there are plenty of DMV and Gov sites that can easily help you ease your anger from people who need help.

Are you a native English speaker Vlad? Because I think you very badly missed the tone and tenor of what he said. Plus it was my state, my county, not country. His post didn't have the negative tone (regarding the drivers of the lost cars) that you seem to have read into it. Saying that the directions referred to a road that wasn't in the state, much less the county, means that Mapquest had the driver turning on a road that didn't exist anywhere near where the driver found himself.
  • Reply 28 of 70
    Quote:

Does anyone read carefully anymore? If you go back and read post #4 again you'll clearly see it says COUNTY not COUNTRY.

There's someone else who can read
  • Reply 29 of 70
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

He wasn't complaining about computer-based directions in general, but about MapQuest specifically--which is what this article is about.

People are sure jumping all over thebuddah

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JohnnyKrz View Post

This seems like the perfect place to complain since we are talking about MapQuest here. Also, I like when people take ownership of their town/county/country. It doesn't mean outsiders aren't welcome, but that you have a sense of pride and responsibility towards the place you call home.

MapQuest does suck big time! This still hasn't been fixed: When I get directions to this restaurant right next door to me, it sends me 5 miles down to the nearest highway and then tells me to u-turn and come up a different street that intersects with the street I'm on. I can literally see the place if I walk outside my office. Honestly, I don't remember why I ever looked up those directions; I think it was just because I was testing their directions way back. To be really nitpicking, I don't even like the way their maps look. They are too cartoonish and harder to visualize accurately. These features won't sway me from Google Maps.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

"My state" indicates he was referring to tourists from out of state.

"My country" indicates he was referring to tourists from out of state or out of country.

Both also indicate, like the previous poster said, pride in both his home and country.

His response had a great deal to do with iPhone because the topic was MapQuest on iPhone, which is the entire point of this article, and he cited a very relevant career-learned story about folks being led astray by MapQuest.

He used an emoticon to show an "angry face" which was directed from the first word toward MapQuest.

You should toughen your extremely delicate sensibilities...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

I agree with the Officer. Map quest stinks in the implementation of the service it offers compared to Google. Out of the five or six times I have used Map quest, at least half of the times resulted in me getting lost. Usually it was something small like telling me to take a left, when it meant right. Sometimes it was naming Streets that didn't exist there. I have had no such problem using Google Directions. Of course, maybe the services make the same amount of errors, but that hasn't been my experience.

Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHKOsta View Post

It's such a luxury to hide behind a computer screen. I bet cops get the most shit from people on the web and the least shit from people in person.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Are you a native English speaker Vlad? Because I think you very badly missed the tone and tenor of what he said. Plus it was my state, my county, not country. His post didn't have the negative tone (regarding the drivers of the lost cars) that you seem to have read into it. Saying that the directions referred to a road that wasn't in the state, much less the county, means that Mapquest had the driver turning on a road that didn't exist anywhere near where the driver found himself.

One person took exception to the officer's tone. One person suggested he was overstating Map Quest's downsides.

If there's any "piling on", "ganging up" or "hiding behind a computer screen" "around here", it's coming from people who apparently think disagreeing with a cop is a crime.
  • Reply 30 of 70
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    I sure haven't been fond of MapQuest or Yahoo Maps but it is amazing what competition will do to drive these companies to improve their products.

Recently our GPS device broke so we went through about a month of using printed-out directions from Yahoo, Google, or Mapquest. A GPS device just can't be beat (dedicated or turn-by-turn on an iPhone or like phone). I'm glad to say we have a new GPS device that we've already put to good use without getting lost.
  • Reply 31 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

One person took exception to the officer's tone. One person suggested he was overstating Map Quest's downsides.

If there's any "piling on", "ganging up" or "hiding behind a computer screen" "around here", it's coming from people who apparently think disagreeing with a cop is a crime.

Not that it really matters but it's coming from people who apparently think disagreeing with "someone who claims to be" a cop is a crime.

No matter though in my experience mapquest was never all that bad but it just failed to keep up. My wife, she likes to use Expedia and, oh my god, I can't tell you how many times that Expedia directions have been completely inaccurate with the mistaken directions of turning right instead of left, etc. This has been going on for years and yet she clings to them because that's what she knows and once in awhile they actually are right.

With that said I wouldn't be so blind to just stick with Google maps as my wife is with Expedia as while I've used Google maps extensively, they certainly have not been perfect. Competition is always good. If MapQuest can get moving in the right direction again(pun intended), it's good for all of us.
  • Reply 32 of 70
    Quote:

Hey I didn't pile on, I was just trying to clarify to him what I think was his misunderstanding of what the OP said!

"Are you a native English speaker Vlad? Because I think you very badly missed the tone and tenor of what he said. Plus it was my state, my county, not country. His post didn't have the negative tone (regarding the drivers of the lost cars) that you seem to have read into it. Saying that the directions referred to a road that wasn't in the state, much less the county, means that Mapquest had the driver turning on a road that didn't exist anywhere near where the driver found himself."
  • Reply 33 of 70
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Interesting this - i just did a search on google maps and it came back with 3 different possible routes - not sure but I think that is new - and they also have an option to track historical traffic data - in other words not just pick a route but also set a day and time to get a better idea of what the trip might look like - I have not used mapquest in a long time so not sure how they compare (or how much of those features translates to the iPhone version - I will sometimes plan a route on the computer then email the link to myself so I can pull it up on the iPhone with the minimum fuss).
  • Reply 34 of 70
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Hey I didn't pile on, I was just trying to clarify to him what I think was his misunderstanding of what the OP said!

"Are you a native English speaker Vlad? Because I think you very badly missed the tone and tenor of what he said. Plus it was my state, my county, not country. His post didn't have the negative tone (regarding the drivers of the lost cars) that you seem to have read into it. Saying that the directions referred to a road that wasn't in the state, much less the county, means that Mapquest had the driver turning on a road that didn't exist anywhere near where the driver found himself."

Sorry, not trying to disparage any one poster, I just thought it was funny that a single post would get so much grief, especially when some of that grief seemed to imagine that "people" were "ganging up" "like they do" on this board, which is humorous.

To me at least, but I'm cranky.
  • Reply 35 of 70
    I can't believe no one is talking about the potential use of the data port to add better game controls in the form of a clip on device. Finally someone is:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7...CarouselArea.4

"Proper controller support. Sneaked in under the radar amid the iPhone 3G S news is the fact that the 3.0 software update allows third-party app interfacing with peripherals. While a larger focus on this functionality has been on medical devices, it's now possible for someone to make a clip-on control pad case and to have that controller be usable in any game. What should happen is that publishers gather to designate one universal controller that then gets adopted as the iPhone's "gamepad." The question is, who will make that accessory? For a while last year it was rumored to be Belkin, although it was unclear who would support the device. On consoles, the manufacturer usually settles these issues by making the controller themselves (except in the case of peripheral-driven games like Rock Band). "
  • Reply 36 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by juggernaut30 View Post

I can't believe no one is talking about the potential use of the data port to add better game controls in the form of a clip on device. Finally someone is:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7...CarouselArea.4

"Proper controller support. Sneaked in under the radar amid the iPhone 3G S news is the fact that the 3.0 software update allows third-party app interfacing with peripherals. While a larger focus on this functionality has been on medical devices, it's now possible for someone to make a clip-on control pad case and to have that controller be usable in any game. What should happen is that publishers gather to designate one universal controller that then gets adopted as the iPhone's "gamepad." The question is, who will make that accessory? For a while last year it was rumored to be Belkin, although it was unclear who would support the device. On consoles, the manufacturer usually settles these issues by making the controller themselves (except in the case of peripheral-driven games like Rock Band). "

Not sure how this is related to Mapquest... but I think the opening of the connector has been the MOST talked about (and rightly so) aspect of the OS3.0.
  • Reply 37 of 70
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,751member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebudda View Post

As a law enforcement officer of 13 years, I can attest that over the last 10 years I've come to easily spot vehicles on the side of the road or driving erratically with the driver holding some papers in his/her hands as Mapquest users. I hate use the term profile, but they all have the same confused, desperate look about them. 98% of the time I would pull up beside some confused looking driver and ask "Let me guess, Mapquest?" and they would all say yes. They would proceed to tell me about trying to find some highway that didn't even exist in my state, much less my county. I've grown to down right hate Mapquest over the years just for the aggravation they put everybody through..

Just to add an example that Google maps isn't perfect either...

A couple years back I used Google maps to look up directions from Toronto to Mont Tremblant for a ski trip (middle of winter). We were in a hurry so I quickly just grabbed them and hopped in the car.

About 2/3 of the way there, we ended up on a road which seemed small (but not bad) so we continued on. The road continued to get even smaller due to snow build-up in the ditches (to the point where we were worried about meeting other cars and being able to pass). Finally, we ended up at a sign which said "Road Closed For Season. Snowmobiles only."

So we had to backtrack about 30 minutes to get back to the highway and find a service station where we could get directions and a proper map. Not a huge mistake, but it was definitely an inconvenience as we got in much later that night than we had planned (was pretty tired the next day).

Lesson learned: don't put blind faith in any automated mapping system. Double check your directions with another map if possible. And if you end up on a road which seems wrong, trust your gut instinct and head for a service station.

I've had similar experiences with my Garmin GPS as well (a 2 hour drive was scheduled to be a 14 hour voyage).
  • Reply 38 of 70
    slang4artslang4art Posts: 376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHKOsta View Post

Cops are generally disliked because of their need to control other people's lives. It's the same reason people dislike politicians, school officials and corporations. Just because police are able to get away with brutality, even when it is recorded using digital video and audio, and distributed on YouTube, doesn't mean that their sentiment is any different. It just means the people haven't fully united yet and started taking back "our" country and rights from the inevitable police state we are creating.

End rant.
  • Reply 39 of 70
    slang4artslang4art Posts: 376member
    Quote:

If you've ever taken a speeding ticket to jury trial, you'd know that it basically is an admission of guilt, at least in the public eye. A cops word, even when he describes his equipment as "the red laser dot thingy" is never to be second-guessed.

All this being said, I personally didn't take offense to anything he wrote, or anything anyone else in the thread wrote, except perhaps the fool that said people were too scared to confront cops in person. There are plenty of brave people in the world who have stood up to corrupt, government imposed authority, often with success.
  • Reply 40 of 70
    ... MapQuest's iPhone app is doing pretty well. #2 on the App Store's Top Free Navigation apps today... and gaining on the Yellow pages app quick. With all the mud being slung at MapQuest here today, and all the love being shown MapQuest in the App Store, one can only conclude there's a sharp divergence between this board and reality... at least when it comes to the obviously emotional MapQuest haters here.