MapQuest unveils alternative to Google Maps for iPhone

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffmccord View Post

... come on Mapquest, this is so 2008. Where were you when the iPhone launched? I think it's a lil' too late to get in the GPS mapping mobile game...

Sorry Moxie Mo, but that just makes no sense. Was it too late for Google to get into online mapping 10 years after MapQuest had been doing it?

When Apple was all but out of it, did anyone say it was too late for them to make breakout products and revolutionary operating systems?

And MapQuest has been in the GPS game for quite awhile... this just happens to be their first iPhone mapping app.

I know many people think the sun rises and sets on Apple, but really, if we're going to look at everything filtered through apple-red glasses, let's at least admit that we're NOT objective when we do so. That way readers/viewers will know when they're getting truly objective reporting or the type of "fair and balanced" editorialization that FOX "News" promulgates.

Keep on mapping!
  • Reply 62 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Hmmm, at first glance it seems that the interface consistently squanders valuable screen realestate...

dfiler... would you elaborate, please? I'm interested in your feedback re: screen real estate efficiency.

Looking forward to your reply.

iB
  • Reply 63 of 70
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iBandwagon View Post

dfiler... would you elaborate, please? I'm interested in your feedback re: screen real estate efficiency.

Looking forward to your reply.

iB

With a more in depth look, it seems that squandering screen real estate isn't the biggest problem. But it is the most immediate indicator that usability problems abound.

Most notable are the double toolbars at the bottom of the screen. Granted, the 2nd one is collapsable. But even then, it consumes about 40% more space than what is truly necessary. It could be made smaller by eliminating a bit of the excessive white space around the four toolbar buttons. They are already distinct and large enough that all that white space isn't needed. Also, are the icons really needed in the toolbar? They're all labeled with text anyway. First rule of thumb when designing interfaces for tiny screens, screen space is valuable, even those 10 extra rows of pixels consumed by a pointlessly large and graphical toolbar.

A "MapQuest" logo on the screen all the time. It's somewhat insulting and hampers viewing of maps. It is the largest text on the map. Yes, it is larger than every single label on the map. 24/7, the mapquest logo is fighting for our attention.

There are a number of other interface annoyances too, besides wasting screen real estate. Upon further inspection, they make my screen space complaints seem trivial.

Searching isn't terribly intuitive. I clicked on the search field with the magnifying glass "search for business or address", typed my address, and touched the search button. But no results came up. Why? because that was just a decoy search field, you actually have to use the secondary data entry field if you want to search for an address. Fine. So I click on that second search field, retype the address, and press the search button. Still no results. Why? because it ignored the data entry focus and continued to search using the first search field. So I deleted the text from the first field and pressed search. Still no results. Why? I misspelled my street name. So I click on the search field and where does it put data entry focus? On the search field that I wasn't using, the first search field.

Zooming in or out is also problematic. Rather than showing a scaled copy of the current zoom level until the new zoom level loads, a completely blank screen is shown... even if you switch back to the previous, already loaded zoom level. This is incredibly frustrating in areas with poor cell coverage. Accidentally zoom and you lose the map entirely. That's another show stopper for me at least. (This is a HUUUGE issue)

Ok, so let's say you've typed in an address and want to find directions to it. Better be prepared to retype that address. It doesn't automatically transfer from the search view to the directions view. But once you do start loading route info, the app locks up completely until the route is computed. Once again, problematic in areas with bad reception.

I'd continue this critique but the app refuses to load data despite having 5 bars of reception. "Can't load route due to a connectivity problem. Please check your internet connection." All other apps work fine.

Don't get me wrong, it's great to see MapQuest enter the fray and provide well funded competition. But they've got quite a way to go before MapQuest compares to the alternative.

I'll try to use it some more tonight and finish the critique. There are certainly more usability issues worth commenting on.
  • Reply 64 of 70
    Great feedback, dfiler! Thank you. Will pass that on. Look for another app update very soon in response to significant user feedback of all sorts.

I look forward to more from you and anyone else who has the time and the inclination to do a thoughtful critique. We really are looking for your thoughts to improve our offerings.

Thanks, again!

iB
  • Reply 65 of 70
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Wow, politely soliciting feedback without any rebutal?

(dfiler checks url to make sure he's still on the AI website)

The network problem turned out to be a widespread intermittent outage in western PA and OH this morning. I'm not sure why it was more noticeable in MapQuest or if it was just my imagination.

I am eagerly anticipating the next release. Competition is a great thing for us users. Welcome to the iPhone and thankyou for being acceptive to feedback. I know it is never easy to read posts like the one I wrote above. As a software developer myself, I know criticism can be a bit painful, no matter whether right or wrong.
  • Reply 66 of 70
    Ha! No.... no rebuttal. Honest critique I can deal with. Heck I welcome it. It's the attacks from people who just repeat what they hear without checking things out for themselves that chaps my ass!

Thanks, again, and if you know anyone else who has tried it, or would like to, please let them know their comments are welcome here.

iB
  • Reply 67 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

for example if i need to go from NYC to miami . i get on route 95 and stay there until miami. easy right. map quest printed out 3 pages of directions. google printed 2 lines of instructions.

Hey, brucep... a little hyperbole is understandable, but 3 pages vs. 2 lines?!?! C'mon...

Here's a link to Google Maps' "New York City, NY" to "Miami, FL" route:

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&amp;source=s_d&amp;saddr=New+York+City,+N Y&amp;daddr=Miami,+FL&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;m ra=ls&amp;sll=33.27648,-77.836625&amp;sspn=24.318337,39.375&amp;ie=UTF8&am p;ll=33.277555,-77.836775&amp;spn=15.00661,7.69965&amp;output=embe d"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&amp;source=embed&amp;saddr=New+York+City, +NY&amp;daddr=Miami,+FL&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp ;mra=ls&amp;sll=33.27648,-77.836625&amp;sspn=24.318337,39.375&amp;ie=UTF8&am p;ll=33.277555,-77.836775&amp;spn=15.00661,7.69965" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

And here's a link to the same route from MapQuest:

http://www.mapquest.com/mq/8-OvDYX4UeJyqy

Looks like the same number of maneuvers to me. And check out how much more manageable MapQuest's link is!
  • Reply 68 of 70
    I created a site about Google maps vs mapquest where you enter one address and the result shows up for both services.. check it out
  • Reply 69 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

mapquest got me lost in the middle of kentucky once. That was fun, especially since me and my girlfriend were freaking out so much over the directions we failed to notice we needed to get gas. We puttered into an exxon at 4am and miraculously it took credit cards.

Screw mapquest.

A couple of months ago, I was looking for a grocery store on a side of town I wasn't familiar with, and Google Maps directed me into the middle of an apartment complex. It's happened a few other times as well, though not often.

Am I the only one that's had this happen with Google?

(Note: I'm certainly not say MapQuest is better. I haven't used MapQuest in years.)
  • Reply 70 of 70
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by garytheguru View Post

I created a site about Google maps vs mapquest where you enter one address and the result shows up for both services.. check it out

Whoa. I just tried a couple addresses familiar to me on there, and Mapquest was off by a block on one and off by a country mile on the other. I had no idea it was that lousy.

The block one was so weird, because the street name I had entered was visible right there in the field of view, but Mapquest just decided to put their little star a block over. How the hell do you get that wrong?

Pretty cool little site there, by the way.