OS 3.0 usage impressions

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    I like the update and it seems OK on my 1st gen iPhone but opening the "SMS" app seems to be slightly slower and does not load the current chats as fast as I remember the last version doing.
  • Reply 22 of 56
    adamiigsadamiigs Posts: 355member
    I like a lot about it on my 2nd gen iTouch (3Gs coming tomorrow), I love the landscape keyboard and it's almost like they changed that keyboard a bit as far as padding between keys, seems even easier to type on, thank god.

I also like the "hidden" keys on the keyboard giving you special characters that are based on some keys.

I tried a Pre out for the first time the other day and I wasn't impressed with it as much as some people seem to be, it wasn't all that smooth and fluid as far as screen response, but maybe that was just my impression.
  • Reply 23 of 56
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The best thing I've noticed is a slight speed improvement, but I haven't used it enough yet to properly judge speed, since it will very likely slow down over the next few weeks. Yes I know Restarts can help, I know. I personally never cried our too much for search anyway, though I suppose it could "in theory" come in handy. Though anything that requires serious searching I'll likely use a real Mac for anyway. First impressions, 3.0 is a whole lot of hype over nothing. I even had Copy & Paste before with a great (jailbroken) app called Clippy, Clippy remains great. It will take more time, a few weeks to make a proper assessment of the OS, but my first instinct says it's more hype then reality.

Seeing that Safari is such an important app, this will be crucial when I forming a full opinion about 3.0. It remains to be seen.

One change I don't like, is the way when going home the app seems to fade as it retreats away, "feels" a little sloppy (or not quite right), compared to the way it zipped off into the distance before 3.0. While it's not a deal-breaker it is noticeable, and I am not totally fond of it.
  • Reply 24 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Syncing notes requires 10.5.7. As I haven't updated my OS yet due to a third party app's needs (it will be another two weeks), I don't know how well this works. Anybody try it?

Works pretty well, but as a MM user I would like it to sync over-the-air for me. That in and of itself is a huge drawback/disappointment.
  • Reply 25 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

What's your opinion on whether it's worth updating an iPod Touch from 2.0 to 3.0? Basically, is it worth the $10 fee?

My personal opinion is unless you "desperately" need/require one of the new features, the update isn't even worth $1.
  • Reply 26 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gordy View Post

It's well worth $10, just not worth upgrading from 3G to a 3GS--basically paying for videos and voice, features I wouldn't use much anyway.

It's simply not well worth $10. It just isn't.
  • Reply 27 of 56
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Yes it is, very much so. Search is great especially with mail where I can search the server (very quick), as is copy and paste ( no jail braking required). Calendars by themselves are worth so much more. I can now subscribe to my home calDav calendar (courtesy of Apple's open source) as well as my Google calendar and others subscribed calendars. Push notification is also well worth it. The AIM push so far is excellent. The minor tweaks to Stocks are also excellent with direct access to the news articles and better charting. From my POV (to paraphrase the great Ireland) these are worth far more than 'multitasking. An already amazing productivity tool just became far more productive.
  • Reply 28 of 56
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

I'm so glad you made my mind up for me. I was afraid I'd have to do some thinking of my own.
  • Reply 29 of 56
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 877member
    So what about 3.0 on a 1G Touch? Huh?
  • Reply 30 of 56
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Has anyone explored/experienced stereo headphones w/bluetooth? Picks? Pans?
  • Reply 31 of 56
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zinfella View Post

See #10 above.
  • Reply 32 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

Yes it is, very much so.

No it's not. Search, copy and paste (the most excellent Clippy system app) and video for that matter can be got by jailbreaking the phone, for example. Besides that, it's still not worth $10. Sorry if the truth --to be fair it is only one man's opinion-- hurts. In your opinion it's worth it, in mine it's "definitely not worth $9.95".
  • Reply 33 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I'm so glad you made my mind up for me. I was afraid I'd have to do some thinking of my own.

I'm not stopping you thinking, that's what Steve is there for

In my "opinion" it's not worth $10. Someone asked, so I (was one of the guys who) answered. If they didn't want an honest answer they shouldn't have asked, but I'm sure they did want an honest answer.
  • Reply 34 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zinfella View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

See #10 above.

Which responded to 3.0 on a first generation iPhone, not a touch.

Quote:

I'm not stopping you thinking, that's what Steve is there for

In my "opinion" it's not worth $10. Someone asked, so I (was one of the guys who) answered. If they didn't want an honest answer they shouldn't have asked, but I'm sure they did want an honest answer.

Some actually explain why they feel what they feel. You didn't.
  • Reply 35 of 56
    There are many people, like me, who do not wish to jailbreak their phones, ever, no matter what is available or not. For us, the update is worth the 10 bucks as it gives us functionality we did not have before.

---

Regarding OS 3.0 on a 1st gen Touch: had a little time with it today and it is nice. Tried typing notes in landscape, searching, calendar, stocks, cutting and pasting. All nice. My Touch is my study device (Japanese, drawing and such) and primary net surfing device at home and it is nice to have the new functions.

PS, shake to undo (typing, etc) is a nice touch.
  • Reply 36 of 56
    Quote:

PS, shake to undo (typing, etc) is a nice touch.

So to speak.
  • Reply 37 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

So to speak.

I debated capitalizing the T...

• Reply 38 of 56
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    The damn camera still doesn't work much of the time. Arrrrr.

I was at a concert last night and tried to take pictures. The iPhone said no. It simply refused to acknowledge that the shutter button was being pressed. I think this has to do with getting stuck on trying to use location services to geo-tag the photo about to be taken.

As it stands now, I'd have to say that the iPhone camera is about the worst picture taking experience possible... if it ever actually got around to letting you take a picture that is.
  • Reply 39 of 56
    Quote:

I debated capitalizing the T...

Which would have been so wrong, since Apple doesn't! You wouldn't want to be visited by the Apple Ministry of Names, would you?
  • Reply 40 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

The damn camera still doesn't work much of the time. Arrrrr.

I was at a concert last night and tried to take pictures. The iPhone said no. It simply refused to acknowledge that the shutter button was being pressed. I think this has to do with getting stuck on trying to use location services to geo-tag the photo about to be taken.

As it stands now, I'd have to say that the iPhone camera is about the worst picture taking experience possible... if it ever actually got around to letting you take a picture that is.

Odd. I've taken some amazing photos with it and almost never have I had any problems. OS 3.0 seems to make it even better for me.