Apple's iPhone 3G S sports chip with 720p HD video capabilities

Comments

• Reply 21 of 71
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

I was actually very surprised that Apple did not go the 720P HD route with their video features, until I realized #1 AT&T would never have allowed sharing of HD video on its network, and #2 720p playback is worthless without bumping screen resolution as well.

I think you're seeing the first evidence of an iPod Touch HD due out in September. What a surprise. Once again, that Zune idea was nice while it lasted.

That all makes sense, though I do hope that iTunes will allow you to copy your 720p video to the device and then play it, even if it isn’t on a 720p display. To allow this means that I don’t have to downgrade any video before copying.

PS: AnandTech did a review of the Palm Pre.
  • Reply 22 of 71
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Palm Pre link is broken, here Try this one
  • Reply 23 of 71
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by talkshowonmute View Post

Edit: Its my first time ever leaving the first comment, is there like a welcome basket to official Apple Loving Nerdiness?

Every one for the next 5 yrs will read your tone setting first comment.

You passed. You did not whine . A fine first first post, you managed to go off topic in record speed.

I look at these break down's and I am amazed at what these chips can do,

• Reply 24 of 71
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

What hotel chain allows any sort of connection to their TV's?

Because I haven't found any in the US, if it's low end, the TV is the cheapest POS possible with no connections.

If it's high end, they have no ports and the only one is for the dedicated pay per view system via a locked cable or something else not easily used.

Hotels know customers like to hook things up like game machines etc to the hotels TV's and just disconnect/leave cables unplugged, requiring a expensive tech service call to get the TV back on the system.

So I've found nearly no hotel chain that supports customers hooking things up, rather the hotel system provides games, movies etc.

But if you care to inform me, I'd be glad to know.

All the ones I've stayed in lately have them. The Holiday Inn Express TVs tend to have composite RCA jacks on the front of the TV. The Courtyard Marriots often have this as well. The Marriott Suites, on the occasions I have to stay in those, have HDMI and VGA inputs to their HDTVs.

The biggest problem isn't the lack of the inputs, it's the variety. I don't want to carry both a composite AND a component cable, and they don't even have an iPod-to-HDMI cable.
  • Reply 25 of 71
    Quote:

Palm Pre link is broken, here Try this one

Thanks. I?m using the vBulletin markup buttons. They are adding quotes when apparently none are needed. I?ve had this happen several times over the past few weeks.
  • Reply 26 of 71
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

Better put it on airplane mode! Don't want to interrupt a movie for a text message or phone call

Oh of course. I think people's number one complaint right now is the fact that a phone call can interrupt something you're doing, and since there's no ability to run a program in the background, you have to start over when you end the call. Like Pandora or the even web browser (correct me if I'm wrong, just going from what iphone owners are saying.)

I think plugging the cable into the device would (or at least should) trigger the phone's radio to be turned off.
  • Reply 27 of 71
    http://www.anandtech.com/gadgets/showdoc.aspx?i=3586

here, paste this in your browser if you don't trust me anymore.
  • Reply 28 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Thanks. I?m using the vBulletin markup buttons. They are adding quotes when apparently none are needed. I?ve had this happen several times over the past few weeks.

Did you test the link?
  • Reply 29 of 71
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    edit out
  • Reply 30 of 71
    bigmc6000bigmc6000 Posts: 767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

edit out

Well I take my laptop but all the places I've stayed recently have LCDs and they don't kill the ports on those like they did with the CRTs.

Also: I popped the sim out of my old iPhone - works just like a touch now
  • Reply 31 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I don't see the actual comment ...

You're correct. Technically speaking, talkshowonmute didn't actually leave a comment, he only left a "meta-comment". Better send him to the first-time-meta-commenter office.
  • Reply 32 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

All the ones I've stayed in lately have them. The Holiday Inn Express TVs tend to have composite RCA jacks on the front of the TV. The Courtyard Marriots often have this as well. The Marriott Suites, on the occasions I have to stay in those, have HDMI and VGA inputs to their HDTVs.

The biggest problem isn't the lack of the inputs, it's the variety. I don't want to carry both a composite AND a component cable, and they don't even have an iPod-to-HDMI cable.

Thanks Booga,

Problem I run into is some hotels have these dedicated portless hotel type TV's supplied by the company hosting the pay per view system, they don't want people hooking stuff up to them as it causes more tech support and they lose money from sales movies/pron/games etc.

cool thanks again
  • Reply 33 of 71
    Quote:

Did you test the link?

I see, you were making a joke.

BTW, that donkey and giraffe did produce an offspring. They named it Zune.
  • Reply 34 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I see, you were making a joke.

BTW, that donkey and giraffe did produce an offspring. They named it Zune.

So I take it the donkey was male!
  • Reply 35 of 71
    nomad421nomad421 Posts: 16member
    So, even after the teardown, I still haven't seen the actual specs of the GPU. The previous article speculated at the PowerVR 520. Has this been confirmed?
  • Reply 36 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nomad421 View Post

So, even after the teardown, I still haven't seen the actual specs of the GPU. The previous article speculated at the PowerVR 520. Has this been confirmed?

Nope. RapidFire’s teardown was very quick and dirty. iFixit will be much more thorough, but even then we may not know the chip until later. Sometimes there are just no visible clues.

PS: Looking forward to iSuppli’s parts cost so people can complain that it cost too much.

PPS: 3GS speed tests: http://www.anandtech.com/gadgets/showdoc.aspx?i=3587
  • Reply 37 of 71
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

I was actually very surprised that Apple did not go the 720P HD route with their video features, until I realized #1 AT&T would never have allowed sharing of HD video on its network, and #2 720p playback is worthless without bumping screen resolution as well.

I think you're seeing the first evidence of an iPod Touch HD due out in September. What a surprise. Once again, that Zune idea was nice while it lasted.

Does the Dock connector support HD output - it's component output? However the chip supports HDMI and those signals aren't on the Dock connector.

So either the new iPod Touch will tweak the Dock connector, or the chip can output HD via component and Apple will settle for that and keeping compatibility with old Dock peripherals, or HD won't be supported.
  • Reply 38 of 71
    Just like Bluetooth on the 2nd Gen iPod Touch, it wouldn't surprise me if Apple is holding some hardware capabitilies back for a future update. 720p recording and output may well come with iPhone 4.0 next year.
  • Reply 39 of 71
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Unless HD video, coupled with a phone's tiny optics and the need to capture a frame faster than a still shot, looks a LOT better than the current VGA res, I don't want it. More storage space used up!

If it DOES look a lot better, then I'd love to at least have the option

(But I've heard that the 3GS will sometimes drop below 30fps--though not perceptibly jerky--which suggests that some other components are a bottleneck.)
  • Reply 40 of 71
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    Talk about a sloppy work. Palm Pre does not have UMTS/HSPA/GSM/EDGE capabilities.