Apple's iPhone 3G S sports chip with 720p HD video capabilities

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 71
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Playing 720p would be nice if you can connect it to an HDTV anywhere, otherwise there's no reason to have it at the moment. But that would be some nice screen if you can fit 720p in a phone screen. I don't know if anyone is actually downloading HD or full SD video over the cellular link, it seems most people sync it up at the computer.

I would like to at least like Apple allow the loading of 720p videos from my iTunes Library, even if doesn?t output the full quality to the built-in display or external monitor. This way, iI won?t have to convert any HD video over specifically for the device.
  • Reply 62 of 71
    winterspanwinterspan Posts: 605member
    720P HD video would be nice, but perhaps there are limiting factors apart from the chip, like slow NAND MLC flash or something. Maybe they just figured most people would rather prefer "good enough" video while saving the dramatic increase in storage required for HD video.

Perhaps the image sensor and lens doesn't have the performance required for decent HD video, etc.

also, a few things on the chart:

1) the C64x in the OMAP3 IS the DSP, they are not separate components.

2) the iPhone's Samsung chip has similar functionality to the OMAP3 "ISP", although it does not carry a marketing name

3) I don't believe the 600mhz on the Palm Pre has been confirmed. Although that is the default speed for the OMAP4340, I have heard from some sources that it is actually downclocked to 500mhz.
  • Reply 63 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

3) I don't believe the 600mhz on the Palm Pre has been confirmed. Although that is the default speed for the OMAP4340, I have heard from some sources that it is actually downclocked to 500mhz.

That would explain some things.
  • Reply 64 of 71
    aeleggaelegg Posts: 99member
    Pardon this light-hearted post amidst mostly-serious discussion, but am I the only one who noticed the green LEGO bricks on the first picture?

My comment is this: Don't they seem strangely appropriate there?

Perhaps there's a correlation between being Lego-Maniac's growing up and now Mac-enthusiasts.

I know I was/am both.
  • Reply 65 of 71
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Take a look at this, then take another look at some of that grizzly cycorder footage from jailbroken iPhones that got posted.

Then tell me again about how Apple didn't implement video on the 3G just to be assholes, or to upsell the 3G S.
  • Reply 66 of 71
    webraiderwebraider Posts: 163member
    What is the point of 720 p on such a small screen. I purchased TV shows in Standard Def all the time, when i did purchase a few in High DEF I saw no difference on the iPod touch. Now my monitor was a different story. Maybe that's the whole point. You want something that looks good on all size screens. But for just playing on an iPod Touch, Standard def is preferable as it takes up less space.
  • Reply 67 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webraider View Post

What is the point of 720 p on such a small screen. I purchased TV shows in Standard Def all the time, when i did purchase a few in High DEF I saw no difference on the iPod touch. Now my monitor was a different story. Maybe that's the whole point. You want something that looks good on all size screens. But for just playing on an iPod Touch, Standard def is preferable as it takes up less space.

For starters, the iPhone 3GS has a CPU and GPU capable of decoding 720p but the system itself won’t load or play such files.

A reason people would like to have it despite the non-HD built-in small display is that they wnat to output it to an HFTV via the 30-pin connector and/or they want to not have to keep an SD version and an HD version in their iTunes. Or have to convert an HD version to SD before syncing to the device, though iTunes does this for you automatically if you try to sync an HD version.
  • Reply 68 of 71
    "while others called it "quiet decent" and said the quality was "impressively smooth and natural.""

Quiet decent? I think you meant quite........you need to proof read people!
  • Reply 69 of 71
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    There's always OS 4.0
  • Reply 70 of 71
    I thought that I had read something more official elsewhere that it was actually 802.11n (a/b/g/n) rather than just 802.11b/g.
  • Reply 71 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xiaopangzi View Post

I thought that I had read something more official elsewhere that it was actually 802.11n (a/b/g/n) rather than just 802.11b/g.

Just a rumor that turned out not to be true.