Apple warns iPhone 3G S activations may take up to 2 days

Comments

• Reply 101 of 130
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1)Is that play on words I?m not getting?

Murdered version of the play by that other famous "Bill".

I thought it fit the circumstances rather well.
  • Reply 102 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DigitalDigital View Post

For those of you having this problem put your old chip in the new phone, I got the 48 hour message and did that now my phone is up and running Hope it helps! I am guessing when the new chip activates just swap it back should be fine

i am gonna try this, but what happens to my old sim, will its deactivation prevent me from using my old iphone as an ipod? anyone suing their old iphone, 1st gen or 3gs in such a way?
  • Reply 103 of 130
    I got passed my problem. Itunes works with windows 7 but if you try to activate an iphone on windows 7 with itunes it wont work.

I ran itunes in compatability mode for windows xp sp3 and it activated instantly.
  • Reply 104 of 130
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:

No, it won?t.

PS: They really need to reduce the size of SIM cards. They seem so damn big for the size of the phone. When I look at the breakdown I wonder what could fit in that spot if the SIM was only half the size it is.

I did notice one bit of difference between the 3G and 3GS. The SIM card holders themselves appear to be just ever so slightly different. Enough so that I could not use one on the other.
  • Reply 105 of 130
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

I did notice one bit of difference between the 3G and 3GS. The SIM card holders themselves appear to be just ever so slightly different. Enough so that I could not use one on the other.

Hmm.. odd. When you put the SIMs back to back what are the differences?

Maybe Apple is making a specialized SIM. That would rock!
  • Reply 106 of 130
    jands98jands98 Posts: 1member
    I had this problem with my new iphone 3gs right after i tried to activate it on line through itunes. I called apple and this is what they had me do.

1. go too settings

2. go to general

3. go to reset

4. go to reset network settings

another red box will pop up and ask you if you realy want to reset network settings. trust me you do because once you do your phone should start working. now this might not work for everyone but since it is nothng that can hurt your phone try it. hope this helps someone out there. love my new iphone 3gs it is much faster.
  • Reply 107 of 130
    mazzymazzy Posts: 53member
    Interesting. Everyone I spoke to so far (about 10 people) say the the Weather app is not working. Nothing shows on the days. So sun no rain no clouds. These are all on 3Gs. Anyone????
  • Reply 108 of 130
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mazzy View Post

Interesting. Everyone I spoke to so far (about 10 people) say the the Weather app is not working. Nothing shows on the days. So sun no rain no clouds. These are all on 3Gs. Anyone????

Then I sure as hell won't go outside.
  • Reply 109 of 130
    Quote:

Same thing on my iPhone 3G. Won?t even validate a location on cellular or WiFI. Not that I care, I use WeatherBug, but it uses the GPS chip to find your location, whereas Apple?s app oddly doesn?t.
  • Reply 110 of 130
    trajectorytrajectory Posts: 647member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Dude-Put down the pipe already!!

No, don't put it down, pass it around.

Quote:

The Weather app does appear to be broken right now (always "updating..." but never updates). Was working yesterday. Must be a problem with Yahoo servers, as that's where the weather data appears to come from.
  • Reply 111 of 130
    Along with the weather, the stocks don't work either. But that one hasn't worked since last September
  • Reply 112 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

The Weather app does appear to be broken right now (always "updating..." but never updates). Was working yesterday. Must be a problem with Yahoo servers, as that's where the weather data appears to come from.

It appears that is the case since Dashboard Widgets for Weather and Stocks are also not working.

Quote:

Along with the weather, the stocks don't work either. But that one hasn't worked since last September

What? I?ve been using Stocks almost every weekday since the iPhone launched.
  • Reply 113 of 130
    trajectorytrajectory Posts: 647member
    Quote:

Also from Yahoo, so, obviously their servers aren't working properly today.
  • Reply 114 of 130
    well, i gave up waiting for my iphone to activate....so I took the sim out of my bold (yes, i can't stand the blackberry crap anymore) and put it in the iphone....and it activated immediately.

I don't know if that will screw anything up or not, but the heck with it.

I do have to call ATT and get my voicemail set back to VVM, but other than that, it's working great.

Love the 3GS!
  • Reply 115 of 130
    Quote:

It appears that is the case since Dashboard Widgets for Weather and Stocks are also not working.

What? I?ve been using Stocks almost every weekday since the iPhone launched.

Huh,, sorry but that was a joke about how bad the stock market has been since last September. Oh well! \
  • Reply 116 of 130
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:

The weather app was terrible anyway. Use the weather.com app.
  • Reply 117 of 130
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:

Huh,, sorry but that was a joke about how bad the stock market has been since last September. Oh well! \

You might have missed it but lots of people have been pretty happy since March
  • Reply 118 of 130
    Quote:

Quote:

Same thing on my iPhone 3G. Won?t even validate a location on cellular or WiFI. Not that I care, I use WeatherBug, but it uses the GPS chip to find your location, whereas Apple?s app oddly doesn?t.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

I never noticed that the Weather app was broken (I use WeatherBug Elite), but it appears to be working fine now?at least on my iPhone 3G. The Weather widget on my Mac is also working fine now.
  • Reply 119 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanaCameron View Post

I never noticed that the Weather app was broken (I use WeatherBug Elite), but it appears to be working fine now?at least on my iPhone 3G. The Weather widget on my Mac is also working fine now.

Yep, my stocks and weather are now working. Thanks for the heads up.
  • Reply 120 of 130
    bobbytedbobbyted Posts: 13member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tcnsdca View Post

Activation through iTunes took maybe 5 minutes tops for me too. I had to restart the phone for it to actually connect to AT&T cell network though.

That is the key, turn your phone off and then back on after your existing phone's service goes out. Thanks to you guys for giving me that idea, otherwise I'd still be waiting...