iPhone 3G S faster than Palm Pre; 500K sales "conservative"

Comments

• Reply 102 of 366
    ajitmdajitmd Posts: 365member
    Palm is selling the Pre to a market where the iPhone is not available - Sprint customers. Depending on when their exclusive contract with Sprint ends, Palm could sell the product to VZ. Together these CDMA networks have more customers than ATT. Many prospective smartphone customers can not change carriers because of corporate plans, family plans, and particular coverage issues depend on where they live.

Anyway, it is not big deal for Palm to have different radios for the Pre, including GSM/EDGE, UMTS/3G, besides CDMA/EVO. It is a question of flexibility on the part of Palm to adapt. With one foot in the grave, I suspect Palm will be very flexible. That would include cutting prices. That thing needs to be priced at $99 with dirt cheap data plans.

Strategically, Palm needs to come out with SDK, like yesterday. Plus develop their own equivalent of iTunes. The hardware needs to be refined including battery life and bulk. The people running the company are ex-Apple and they are young, hungry and talented. In direct competition, Palm would need disruptive technology to compete, or else they would be dead meat... no different that Hannibal challenging the power of Rome. As long as they got the moat that Apple is willing to cross in selling to all carriers, Palm may survive, but it is a race against time and their cash burn rate.
  • Reply 103 of 366
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

maybe you weren't around during the Mac Plus days, but once you have real robust multitasking you will never go back. It just allows for an ease of use you can't get by any other method.

Sure, but there's one huge difference between multitasking on a computer and multitasking on a phone: screen real estate.

Multitasking on a computer involves having multiple open windows, dragging files between them, looking at several windows simultaneously, etc.

The tiny screen of a phone means that there will only ever be one user facing app at a time, with some type of notifications taking the place of open windows for other running apps.

Which means that you can replicate a lot of the "feel" of actual multitasking by making app switching as fast as possible, saving states, and using push notifications-- all of which Apple has done.

I'm not saying these techniques completely replace having multiple running background apps-- just that "real" multitasking isn't anything like the win it is on a desktop system.
  • Reply 104 of 366
    slapppyslapppy Posts: 331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

Actually 7.8

Only 3.8 activation. Guess that buy one get one free, were free was for existing customers. Really should take out that buy one get one free to the equation.
  • Reply 105 of 366
    rnp1rnp1 Posts: 175member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by masklinn View Post

Apple Newton, released in 1993, touchscreen (stylus) with (very bad) handwriting recognition.

Palm Pilot 1000, released in March 1996

Sorry to say, you're wrong.

Correct-I have a Newton 100 filed somewhere, it recognized my handwriting-especially using Graffiti, like on an EasyPay. I read e-books on it and kept my Day-Timer stuff there. It could have evolved into something very useful, like handheld order devices in restaurants.
  • Reply 106 of 366
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rockky View Post

Yeah, I love my Iphone 3G S....but these speed figures are far from the truth.

I had the pre for 10 days and can tell you it downloaded 5-6 sites I regularly use on wifi...significantly faster than this phone does right now....by a lot...and consistantly!

And the efficiency of navigation on that device is industry leading at this point.

The universal search is TRULY, universal for example...includes bookmarks, and message content. You can, on any page just start typing letters and be prompted to google searches, or urls...it's great.

The whole package is, unfortunately just not Iphone..but they've taken what was Iphone's ace in the whole: Interface elegance...and eaten Apples lunch.

That's interesting, because all the reviews on the Pre that I've read, and that's a lot, say that the Pre missed with their search because it DOESN'T search everything on the phone, but rather does good search on the internet.

The iPhone search however, while it doesn't bother with the internet, does a much better job of searching the phone itself, including to body of e-mails if you include "all".

Are you sure you've actually used the Pre and the iPhone?

From Engadgets review of the Pre:

Quote:

The first thing you should know about the Pre's Universal Search is that it isn't really all that universal. From the card view or launcher, the find-as-you-type engine allows you to look up contacts, applications, and if all else fails, take your query to the web via Google, Google Maps, Wikipedia, and Twitter Search. What it doesn't do, however, is let you search any actual content on your device, like a mail message, an SMS, or a document. In that sense, the term "universal" is somewhat misleading, though we'll give Palm props for making it work as quickly and painlessly as it does. We're going to call it out right now: Palm needs to extend this feature to mail at the very least -- we're happy that we can jump quickly to a contact or internet search (really really happy), but we've honestly gotten pretty used to iPhone OS 3.0's broad searches.

• Reply 107 of 366
    slapppyslapppy Posts: 331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rnp1 View Post

Correct-I have a Newton 100 filed somewhere, it recognized my handwriting-especially using Graffiti, like on an EasyPay. I read e-books on it and kept my Day-Timer stuff there. It could have evolved into something very useful, like handheld order devices in restaurants.

I have a 120. The handwriting was improved. I even had a PCMCIA card for faxing with it. It still works. I finally have it boxed away. That was a device way ahead of it's time.
  • Reply 108 of 366
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FoneFrenzy View Post

iPhone still can't Multi-Task but overall it's a decent phone too.

http://www.precentral.net/palm-pre-v...wser-head-head

The iPhone DOES multitask, it just doesn't allow third party programs to do so without Apple's approval, which is apparently very hard to get.
  • Reply 109 of 366
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

When Palm's quarterly results come out on June 25th, it will be for their quarter ending May 31st (or so), so there will most likely be no Pre sales included in the numbers. So it will definitely be dismal, but that is what's expected. So Palm could have a reprieve for one more quarter, and hopefully by Sept, they'll have announced or released a second phone.

But they could surprise next week by giving some insight into how the Pre is selling on the conference call, but given that Apple is likely to announce a 3G S sales milestone before then, anything Palm says will look very very small.

I'm also curious as to how they will add Pre sales to their books. Will they add the sales up front, or will they break them down over a 24 month period as Apple does?
  • Reply 110 of 366
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

its becoming more and more evident that its the OS that really matters then the apps

palm pre take over bait by company that needs a real OS, i suggest Nokia which is having its

clocked cleaned and needs to return some momentum

RIM has an OS, MS has an OS, moto gave up so who else would MOST benefit from

the pre webOS? i say nokia

palm doesn't have the money or resources to rebuild the pre its getting the rep for cheap

and expensive, nokia could use its quality mark and infuse new life into their line

Yes , But its the OS that allows the apps to exist and thrive.
  • Reply 111 of 366
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I do agree with that bloggers? preference for sliding cards. I wish Safari would allow that option.

I've read a number of opinions about the "cards" metaphore. Most reviewers seem to like it, but a couple pointed out that it's not obvious as to how the system works, and that the iPhones' method is much easier to figure out.

As I haven't seen a Pre yet, I find this to be an interesting point.
  • Reply 112 of 366
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

If you want to get caught up in the "which phone/service is better" then the ONLY competitor is the Crackberry (aka Blackberry from RIM).

8.7M sold in the last quarter.

Big number.

Better than the iPhone.

Android and Prē, not so much.

7.8 million sold.

Less than expected. Less new subscribers as well.
  • Reply 113 of 366
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:

maybe you weren't around during the Mac Plus days, but once you have real robust multitasking you will never go back. It just allows for an ease of use you can't get by any other method.

that sort of logic can be extended to smart phones themselves. Are they even a nessecity, many would say no.

On iPhone it is however a necessity as Apple uses multitasking in a privledged manner. The problem is the lack of user app multitasking.

I have a number of radio apps installed and honestly use them very little. But that is me, I just don't listen to the radio much at all. I can think of a number of good ideas that ideally would have multitasking support available to them. Some examples;

1. A GPS tracking app. That collect your position every five minutes or so.

2. Health monitoring. Great for workouts, just slap a bluetooth patch on your body some place to capture heart rate and other info.

3. execise equipment monitoring. Log your performance, distance traveled, intensity and so forth for bike riders and other outdoor activities. Apparently Apple has something up it's sleeves here.

4. Communications with lab instruments / meters. The classic usage here is to monitor a temp at a fixed rate. That could be minutes or hours, the idea being to collect for later processing.

5. Document creation from multiple types of data, each piece created via it's own app. The classic example being a spread sheet with embedded art.

6. Automatic position notification. An app sends a predefined txt to someone based on their approximate location.

7. It would be incredibly nice to be able to flip between the app of your choice and the calculator of your choice without the program reloads. This is especially useful for programmable caculators with advanced features. In fact the idea of a caculator is so useful that it ought to be always running.

8. It is very useful to have mail and the web browser running at the same time. Especially when so much E-Mail these days comes with links for the web browser to open. Again this just eliminates the open and close cycles. The thing is on a bad day you may haveten or twenty E-Mails with links to follow.

9. Apps and media dowloads in background. Why should you have to sit in an app waiting for a movie to download. Do it in background! WiFi or cell I don't care, the idea is to do something useful while your purchase downloads.

10. Better stop watch apps

11. Audio logging. Say you are at a lecture and you want to record it, a back ground app could keep on recording no matter what else the iPhone was doing. This sort of feature could be useful for reporters trying to cover a story while other things are going on requiring the iPhone. Big market here if the right optimized microphone can be had.

Those are just a few things that don't involve listening to radio.

As long as there is an SDK and support for Multitasking that question can not be answered. The issue is the biomass behind the XCode window trying to implement his new idea. As long as the platform is viable there will be new apps some of which will run in background.

Also I have to say the issue that is always brought up about battery life is BS. The user of the iPhone is intelligent enough to avoid battery draining apps when required.

Dave

One of the best iphone posts to date.

Who would have thought that a small device could do so much .

• Reply 114 of 366
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

One of the best iphone posts to date.

Who would have thought that as mall device could do so much .

Hey I got my PRE and it Rocks........oh, I should clarify---

I PRE-ordered the iPhone 3GS.........The Palm Pre was merely an old prototype of the iPhone that Steve Jobs trashed.......Rubenstein left Apple disgruntled....and CNN put it best:

"The Pre is great....but....its not insanely great" ...thats what happens when you take a protoype to market....Rubenstein should have listened to Jobs.....darn
  • Reply 115 of 366
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

Wow 22nd post and you couldn't be further off, PALM used newtons technology for handwriting, they just paid apple to license it. So you make a statement, calling someone else out, yet you are clueless. KK you can probably leave now.

hmm... wasn't palm the company that gave the newton 'graffiti' - a dumbed down but relatively easy to remember version of handwriting recognition, that was successful because apple's own full handwriting recognition had its initial problems? i seem to recall using graffiti on my first and second newton, but with the MP2000 apple had solved the issues and graffiti was no longer necessary... i think graffiti was also available on other platforms...
  • Reply 116 of 366
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

The iPhone DOES multitask, it just doesn't allow third party programs to do so without Apple's approval, which is apparently very hard to get.

Being able to multitask with the wide variety of third party programs available for the pre is a major advantage.
  • Reply 117 of 366
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by halfyearsun View Post

Being able to multitask with the wide variety of third party programs available for the pre is a major advantage.

I can't quite tell if you're being sarcastic.
  • Reply 118 of 366
    Quote:

that sort of logic can be extended to smart phones themselves. Are they even a nessecity, many would say no.

On iPhone it is however a necessity as Apple uses multitasking in a privledged manner. The problem is the lack of user app multitasking.

I have a number of radio apps installed and honestly use them very little. But that is me, I just don't listen to the radio much at all. I can think of a number of good ideas that ideally would have multitasking support available to them. Some examples;

1. A GPS tracking app. That collect your position every five minutes or so.

2. Health monitoring. Great for workouts, just slap a bluetooth patch on your body some place to capture heart rate and other info.

3. execise equipment monitoring. Log your performance, distance traveled, intensity and so forth for bike riders and other outdoor activities. Apparently Apple has something up it's sleeves here.

4. Communications with lab instruments / meters. The classic usage here is to monitor a temp at a fixed rate. That could be minutes or hours, the idea being to collect for later processing.

5. Document creation from multiple types of data, each piece created via it's own app. The classic example being a spread sheet with embedded art.

6. Automatic position notification. An app sends a predefined txt to someone based on their approximate location.

7. It would be incredibly nice to be able to flip between the app of your choice and the calculator of your choice without the program reloads. This is especially useful for programmable caculators with advanced features. In fact the idea of a caculator is so useful that it ought to be always running.

8. It is very useful to have mail and the web browser running at the same time. Especially when so much E-Mail these days comes with links for the web browser to open. Again this just eliminates the open and close cycles. The thing is on a bad day you may haveten or twenty E-Mails with links to follow.

9. Apps and media dowloads in background. Why should you have to sit in an app waiting for a movie to download. Do it in background! WiFi or cell I don't care, the idea is to do something useful while your purchase downloads.

10. Better stop watch apps

11. Audio logging. Say you are at a lecture and you want to record it, a back ground app could keep on recording no matter what else the iPhone was doing. This sort of feature could be useful for reporters trying to cover a story while other things are going on requiring the iPhone. Big market here if the right optimized microphone can be had.

Those are just a few things that don't involve listening to radio.

As long as there is an SDK and support for Multitasking that question can not be answered. The issue is the biomass behind the XCode window trying to implement his new idea. As long as the platform is viable there will be new apps some of which will run in background.

Also I have to say the issue that is always brought up about battery life is BS. The user of the iPhone is intelligent enough to avoid battery draining apps when required.

Dave

11. Voice Memos in iPhone OS 3.0 run in the background.
  • Reply 119 of 366
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by halfyearsun View Post

We'll have to see. There are so few programs available for the Pre right now, that's it's hard to tell what will happen as time goes by.

I've got 6.5 screens of apps on my 3G. Now it's true that many wouldn't benefit from multitasking, but what if five did it, ten, fifteen, twenty? What if I had no control over it? What if I wasn't aware that some were?

What about battery life?

While my 3G does pretty well there, and the 3Gs does even better, so that a battery that dies during the day isn't that usual, unless you use the phone like crazy, the Pre is said to require a changeable battery, as life is so poor.

Also, I've read reviews that say that running three apps or so in the background can, depending on the apps, cause music playback to stutter, and for video to break up, drop frames, or show digititus.

It's possible that multitasking works ok on the Pre, but not great. We probably won't know enough about it for most people until many more apps appear, which will take some time, according to this Palm post and thread;

http://pdnblog.palm.com/2009/06/an-u...m-and-the-sdk/
  • Reply 120 of 366
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by syklee26 View Post

Palm's Pre-Empty-ive strike has failed I guess.

I don't recall if Palm was promoting it as an iPhone "killer" or not.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I would refine that and say if you want to multi-task web apps go Pre, if you want 50,000 full Objective-C/ OpenGL apps go iPhone.

I wonder how many iPhone users even know what Objective-C or OpenGL really is. It doesn't strike me as something many people think about, possibly fewer than the people that know what an ARM chip is.