123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 137
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Are you referring to a cod piece?

So many dirty minds on this forum.

I didn't want to actually say it, so I left it to you.
  • Reply 122 of 137
    I did my Apple Civic Duty for the day. I convinced a client to throw her BB curve into the trash bin and order a new iPhone 3GS. It didn't take much. Her and I played a bit on my iPhone 3G and showed her how easy it is to use for her business purposes...then played with a couple of fun apps and she was sold!http://forums.appleinsider.com/image...ies/1smile.gif
  • Reply 123 of 137
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,815member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidT View Post

quick question: do many people have difficulty using the iphones on-screen keyboard?

I can type just as fast on the iphone as I ever could on the blackberry, and find the auto-correction on iphone pretty good. but I keep hearing that for email, twitter etc a 'real' keyboard is far better than the iphone's solution....

with a little practice, and especially now with the landscape mode, typing can't be slower on iphone surely?

-D

You are totally correct, in landscape I can 'thumb' my e-mails or whatever very fast ... now I just want to be able to move the lower keys a fraction further way from the space bar or make it require a fractionally longer press so I can avoid catching it as much, my bad I know ... (option to adjust virtual keyboard ..?).
  • Reply 124 of 137
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

I too have great difficulty typing in landscape mode. I can type MUCH faster vertically with one finger and letting auto-correct fix any mistakes.

And on that note, has anyone else notice that it seems they've changed some things in the auto-correct? im now auto-corrects to IM . It used to auto-correct to I'm. But ill used to not auto-correct at all. Now it auto-corrects to I'll.

ill always autocorrected to I'll, and I always found that weird. If im corrects to IM that won't make me happy...
  • Reply 125 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

See, this is interesting, because it's considered that the landscape physical keyboards are much easier to use than the portrait ones. The Pre was criticized in several reviews for going portrait rather than going landscape.

You must have very short thumbs.

actually, i've found the same thing. Although, i really feel that it's just out of habit at this point.

if landscape keyboard came out earlier, i would have probably always used landscape. when 3.0 was announced, I thought "finally...we get landscape"

and now i can't use it. simply because i'm used to portrait now.

darn you apple.
  • Reply 126 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Not at all, I never lost a thumb wrestling match if that tells you anything.

tells us you never thumb wrestled ME, sucka
  • Reply 127 of 137
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by halfyearsun View Post

actually, i've found the same thing. Although, i really feel that it's just out of habit at this point.

if landscape keyboard came out earlier, i would have probably always used landscape. when 3.0 was announced, I thought "finally...we get landscape"

and now i can't use it. simply because i'm used to portrait now.

darn you apple.

These things require a training period. You have yours with the portrait keyboard. Now you would have to unlearn all the autonomic responses you programmed into yourself, and start over.

That's why it's difficult to learn a different keyboard.
  • Reply 128 of 137
    Dont post much but I'm one of those BB users that went into a store for a 3gs this weekend. I won't look back now.
  • Reply 129 of 137
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gyokuro View Post

Oh, my.

You guys know how to make a girl blush.

Ahem.....

Hmmm.

Maybe they were referring to those special double-pockets for car keys etc..?

Though I can still imagine girls blushing if the car keys belong to brand new Ferrari...
  • Reply 130 of 137
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Actually, no. If the margin of error is, say +-x% and the proportion of respondents is y%, that would mean between (y+x)% and (y-x%). So, for example, if 55% said they would vote for a candidate in a poll with a margin of error of +-3%, that would mean between 52% and 58%.....

Anyhow.... the overall point is that the sample of 256 is too small to draw any meaningful conclusions.
  • Reply 131 of 137
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

So then, the one person who told you item "A", suddenly turns into 11 people? No, it doesn't work that way.

No, it doesn't. You're so badly confused on what statistics mean that there's no point discussing it any further.
  • Reply 132 of 137
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

Anyhow.... the overall point is that the sample of 256 is too small to draw any meaningful conclusions.

No, it's not.

The margin of error is quite high, but when a number is considerably greater than the margin of error, it is possible to draw conclusions.

It is also important to remember that the margin of error is dependent on the probability you choose. For example, in this case, the margin of error is 6% AT THE 95% CONFIDENCE LEVEL. If you choose a lower confidence level (say, 67%), the result is less certain, but the margin of error drops.
  • Reply 133 of 137
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

There must be a app for this problem ?

Not that this is 100% accurate, but as a guide, I find that keeping my messages to less than 8 full lines of text when typing vertically and less than four full lines of text typing in the horizontal mode is approximately 140 characters.

The following passage, contains 140 characters.

The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy

Obviously, language, particularly if "narrow" letters such as "i" is frequently used, the lines would come out 'shorter,' and cause one to exceed the maximum allotment. Note that the above text contains only one "i".
  • Reply 134 of 137
    le studiosle studios Posts: 199member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

At the risk of harming whatever benefits remain for Apple's under the lucrative deal with at&t, they need to start selling iPhones with other carriers. This is the only thing they can do to ensure rapid, sustainable growth for the future.

AT&T never want that to happen then have stop be lazy and MMS and Tethering ASAP. If Apple open the iPhone then AT&T will lose at least 50%-70% of what they gained from being exclusive. Then they will drop prices on service to be competitive.
  • Reply 135 of 137
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

I agree but Apple is very good about squeezing out every little $$ they can from a certain user group (defined by them) and then moving down the ladder to where eventually everyone can afford $$ or just able to get the product.

iPod's are a good example of this.

The iPhone is another good example of how they created demand, let a select group of people have it. Then everyone feels great when they can finally afford to buy a 3G for $99.

I suspect Apple is within a year of moving to other carriers and maybe 2 - 3 years from having an all out affordable line (much like the nano to the iPod line). I say this because I am unsure if they $99 3G is just to clear out inventory or if it is here to stay.

With the $99 iPhone, the genie is out of the bottle so they can't go back to higher prices for anything less than that model. Expect greater video capabilities, built-in GPS and something else equally amazing going forward for the high-end models.
  • Reply 136 of 137
    clark80clark80 Posts: 28member
    I have a BB Curve 8310 and also have a iPhone 3G S. best of both
  • Reply 137 of 137
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

With the $99 iPhone, the genie is out of the bottle so they can't go back to higher prices for anything less than that model. Expect greater video capabilities, built-in GPS and something else equally amazing going forward for the high-end models.

Sure they can go back. Cheapest Apple tower used to be $1499. Then they went to $1599 with uniform adoption of DVD burners. What is it now... $2499.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the $99 might be some temporary price point to finish off supplies of components and contracts. Although Apple has done well in this recession that doesn't mean they might not have committed to even larger numbers that just weren't met.