AT&T Navigator turn-by-turn GPS solution hits the App Store

Comments

• Reply 81 of 128
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

Verizon's VZ Navigator offers a separate subscription package for worldwide navigation service --- I don't see any reason why AT&T will not do so for their own nav app service. Americans complain about AT&T's shitty 3G network and coverage --- because they compare to Verizon's much superior network and coverage.

Hardware GPS makers are dying left and right --- so it really means nothing if you get a lifetime subscription for traffic updates if the companies are out of business. You don't see carriers dying left and right.

Subscription model for TBT nav app is alive and well.

What I do not see is
    • carriers offering worldwide map coverage with their guidance services, usually national only

• people, who are subscribed to any of those carrier guidance services; everyone around has regular on-board GPS application

• how TomTom is dying; actually they're now busy with teaching Apple to develop GPS solutions

All those subscriptions are usually one-year prepaid ones...

All that is like 3G vs WiFi argument. Cultural differences...
  • Reply 82 of 128
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

What I do not see is
    • carriers offering worldwide map coverage with their guidance services, usually national only

• people, who are subscribed to any of those carrier guidance services; everyone around has regular on-board GPS application

• how TomTom is dying; actually they're now busy with teaching Apple to develop GPS solutions

All those subscriptions are usually one-year prepaid ones...

All that is like 3G vs WiFi argument. Cultural differences...

Verizon has the Global VZ Navigator service:

http://www.intomobile.com/2009/05/02...or-global.html

TomTom just begged their shareholders for more money.

http://www.reuters.com/article/innov...55D1QU20090615

It is also a cultural difference in terms of TBT navigation apps. USA --- the land of the car driving culture --- opted for the 1 day and 1 month subscription model. Why? Because there are more people in the US driving cars than other nations.

Why do other nations (like in Europe and in Asia) opted for the $100 app? Because car ownership is much fewer --- so the people who owns cars can afford the one time payment.
  • Reply 83 of 128
    dwcerradwcerra Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

I say fail! Let me get this straight, we are to trust the network that cannot keep our calls connected under the best of conditions, that network is going to be responsible keeping me from getting lost when I am traveling in the least perfect conditions? I think not. I wonder if they will refund the $10 fee if the service fails on your trip? This may be a $billion industry, but AT&T is not the company to lead the way. I will be waiting for Tom Tom.

EXACTLY my thoughts! Like I'd trust AT&T which has lousy coverage in part of my area, you know the sparsely populated Southern Cali region...ridicules! I"m waiting for TomTom as well. I don't like the idea of a monthly fee though. What's up with that, AT&T is already denying us the use of our 3GS iphone as a wireless modem for our laptops in hotspots and accesses us all a flat $30/mo data fee. They get enough $ from me thank you very much.
  • Reply 84 of 128
    dwcerradwcerra Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

AT&T isn't desperately trying to do anything it can to stop hemorrhaging nearly a million customers each quarter.

It's called RAPE!
  • Reply 85 of 128
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Its not at all. You are not forced to use ATT Navigation service, you are free to use any other service offered. You guys really don't understand the point of companies, their goal is to make money, they are not philanthropies.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dwcerra View Post

It's called RAPE!

• Reply 86 of 128
    ajitmdajitmd Posts: 365member
    It is ridiculous to pay a monthly fee for GPS.. might as well use the Google map features to find the way. Just memorize the route and be on the way. Most people, including me did well using a regular map and a compass.

These subscription expenses are like entitlements. There is the wired phone at home with caller id, call waiting, 911 fees, Then come the internet, cable TV + HBO, etc + cellphone family plans, wireless internet plans, etc. Add the regular expenses people make like home, umbrella, car insurances, health insurance, term life, kids in school expense. auto maintenance, food, etc even before counting any mortgage and car notes.

Most people need another monthly expense like ATT GPS instead of using the "free" Google like they need another hole in their pocket.
  • Reply 87 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AjitMD View Post

It is ridiculous to pay a monthly fee for GPS.. might as well use the Google map features to find the way. Just memorize the route and be on the way. Most people, including me did well using a regular map and a compass.

Technically, there is no need to memorize anything if someone has an iPhone or iPod touch. Use the Google Map feature and enter the beginning and ending addresses and hit 'directions' and Google maps the route with turn-by-turn instructions. I had an iPod touch and did this easily without a data plan, just need wi-fi at home. Map out the route before you leave home (or hotel, etc.) and even without the wi-fi on the road the route stays in the iPod touch and I would use it all the time. Of course it's even easier with an iPhone, the blue dot moves with your car as you drive.

The advantage of TomTom on the phone is that it will have voice directions, so no need to keep looking down at the iPhone/touch, the dock makes it easy, and you get good maps, nearby businesses and more. Screw AT&T GPS , I'll wait for TomTom.
  • Reply 88 of 128
    davesmalldavesmall Posts: 118member
    $10 Bucks a month for this. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
  • Reply 89 of 128
    Sprint doesn't charge anything for GPS navigation.

Just saying.
  • Reply 90 of 128
    bongo46bongo46 Posts: 3member
    so let me get this straight and i hope att reads this. As a consumer of this product,

and i can speak for all of us. We are locked into a data plan for $30 for the 3g a month. with that being said why are we being charged for more Data. Along with that MMS is not available due to networks constraints, or is it opt out codes? Either way they can develop an app in time for the 3gs release for 3.0 but not develop a solution for the mms. Im pretty sure that if someone wanted to they could file a class action for negligence on ATT side and failure to live to their own written contract and subside a portion of the monthly fee we pay to obtain the services that should be there
  • Reply 91 of 128
    rkevwillrkevwill Posts: 224member
    Although I haven't read ALL the posts, the two things most important about the TomTom system, (besides the maps of course) are the base mount with an amplified speaker, and the addition of a real live gps chip in the base to get much stronger signals. Those of us familiar with standalone GPS systems, and then having used the GPS in phones, are well aware the phones' systems, although not bad, are no where NEAR as good as standalones or bluetooth antennas.

Att's is nothing more than a feeble attempt IMHO. Sprints system is not bad, but.....its not Garmin or TomTom.

Personally I'm a garmin fan, but.....Garmin missed the boat here. Their answer to the phone/gps market took way too long, and......its not an iphone. I still have my old iQue 3600 though, and its working just fine.

I have a feeling TomTom has a winner here. This might just cause me to Get an iPhone, sign up for a minimum voice, full data plan, and replace my touch. (I need, love, and use my blackberry for my phone and work email. Luv them keyboard buttons)
  • Reply 92 of 128
    davidtdavidt Posts: 112member
    For any Europeans here: I installed the Navigon for Europe today, works like a charm!

The font is a little hard to read, and hard on the eyes, but with so many comments about the font I'm sure they'll improve that in a later version. (the font reminds me early Amiga for those who remember).
  • Reply 93 of 128
    This is a joke I cant see why anyone will opt for this crappy looking software for this price. The Navigon app at least has high quality looking maps and will be cheaper, hopefully TomTom will be as good and cheaper.
  • Reply 94 of 128
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

Ya know what's interesting is that TomTom could literally OWN the market if they made the software cheap (< $50). But I've got a hunch they aren't going to do that...

I'm sure they'll still have optional updates for $30ish a year (or more) because the app will never expire so even if you get a new iPhone you'll be able to keep your GPS forever.

EDIT: On a side note does anyone think an independent programmer could make a Google Maps based turn by turn and release it on the app store for. idk, $10? I'd be willing to pay $10 for something that used turn by turn but still relied on the cell towers but a monthly subscription - yeah, I'm out...

I remember making something like that in VB in high school...Oh well, I didn't save the code!

My program knew the street labels, though, with a map I made. Don't know for sure but I'd doubt Google has opened their geodatabase attribute table and GIS to the public for free in order to allow this sort of thing. Because those nice Google maps are to us nothing but raster images, as far as I've seen.
  • Reply 95 of 128
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Did anyone notice Philip Schiller's plug for the TomTom system this month at WWDC 2009? He sure as hell DIDN'T peddle this pathetic POS from AT&T, which amounts to little more than groveling for revenue crumbs falling off of Apple's table.

I'll warn you - this begins a long rant against AT&T, ignited by their Navigator announcement and the recognition that this bloated relic in the communications industry still has it all wrong strategically, and may be in even more trouble in the long-run than Microsoft.

The particulars of the indictment:

1. AT&T Navigator is a desperate attempt to extract more revenue from iPhone users, serving up an app-styled system that offers little extra value for the $120/year price. The directions feature of the basic iPhone Maps app will do all the basic stuff to get you from one place to another, and a simple Google search will find you every gas station, restaurant and specialty store you want in your locale. To do a search, you don't want to be playing with your iPhone or any other GPS device while driving - traffic is dangerous enough and you need to keep your eyes on the road. Why is AT&T wasting time with a such a fringe iPhone application? This idea is in free fall out of the box and will crash in a few months with a thundering thud. If it survives a year, I'd be surprised - or it'll be another money-loser as AT&T squanders its efforts on an insignificant contribution to total revenue.

2. So far, AT&T has gotten a pass in the media about its resistance to tethering iPhones to notebooks, thus enabling a truly portable Internet connection for iPhone notebook users. As announced at the WWDC, the 3G S will have this capability in dozens of countries outside the U.S. with dozens of other wireless carriers. But here? Fuggedaboudit!! AT&T is petrified at the thought that you'll be using your phone as the equivalent of a laptop wireless modem! No more $60/month AT&T Wireless Connect fees (5GB/month maximum!)! No more Bill Kurtis commercials telling us how he's so much faster than Andy Roddick and Sugar Ray Leonard! Here again is a case of AT&T tying itself to another business venture that will decline to nothing in a few years, eclipsed by newer technology and wireless competition willing to implement it.

3. Despite what it says, this sorry behemoth is still wedded to copper - paired wire wireline POTS to residential phone customers. They'll get out of this when the contribution of the business drops below the salvage value from ripping out the wire and selling it as scrap.

4. Don't think Apple is unaware of or will overlook AT&T's anti-customer behavior by trying to prevent iPhone tethering or dragging its feet on MMS. Apple says that its current iPhones are not technically configured to work with other U.S. carriers, but what about the future? Whatever the length of Apple's exclusive carrier agreement with AT&T, you can be sure it's not perpetual. The day will come when that agreement expires, and on that very day, Apple will deploy its newest iPhone capabilities and technologies with whichever U.S. wireless carrier is willing to come to the party. For AT&T to resist the distribution of new Apple capabilities - iPhone notebook tethering being a case in point - is for AT&T to brand itself as a backwards relic, entitled to wearing dunce cap and sitting in the corner of the class.

If you're an investor for the long pull, you want to be loading up on AAPL and getting out of T while you can. It's the difference between a creative organization focused on new opportunities to win customers and a mossbound has-been trying to hold on to businesses that matter less and less in the marketplace.
  • Reply 96 of 128
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    The fact that they are rolling out a potentially data hogging program but can't roll out MMS is all you need to know to fuel a red hot hatred for this company.
  • Reply 97 of 128
    If AT&T or other idiots think they can turn this service into a subsription service, they've got another thing coming. NO WAY in hell will I pay monthly service fee for this especially coming from a network that is the worst in the US.

Most GPS handsets cost about $150 including the hardware. I can't imagine Tom Tom charging more that $39.99 for the software and and $9.99 for map updates. If they do, I'm sticking with my handset from Garmin.

AT&T.... Go to hell.
  • Reply 98 of 128
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:

Actually about a month ago I had a road trip from California to New York, primarily guided by the iPhone. Its overstated how shitty the coverage is in the US.

Do you really need turn-by-turn directions to get from CA to NY? Just get on I-80 and drive East till you see the GW bridge. Well, OK, the whole I-95 thing at the end could be confusing to some, I guess.
  • Reply 99 of 128
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Gosh, what's with people!?

Does no one use a $4.99 Rand McNally anymore for their trips?

No we get our maps from Triple A for free.

Quote:

Yes I am absolutely a troll.

Get back under the bridge.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dwcerra View Post

EXACTLY my thoughts! Like I'd trust AT&T which has lousy coverage in part of my area, you know the sparsely populated Southern Cali region...ridicules! I"m waiting for TomTom as well. I don't like the idea of a monthly fee though. What's up with that, AT&T is already denying us the use of our 3GS iphone as a wireless modem for our laptops in hotspots and accesses us all a flat $30/mo data fee. They get enough $ from me thank you very much.

As much as I would love tethering to be free, I can understand their point. Lots of folks would probably just give up their home internet much like how they give up their landline. That would be a lot of revenue gone. Thanks for noting how terrible So Cal is on AT&T. Lots of folks on here just won't believe it and justify AT&T to no end due to their iPhone love.

Quote:

Its not at all. You are not forced to use ATT Navigation service, you are free to use any other service offered. You guys really don't understand the point of companies, their goal is to make money, they are not philanthropies.

Yes and when I get my GPS app included for $20 a month and you have to pay $30 a month for data and $10 a month more for this app, you are being charged a lot more money. BTW, I looked into what I suspect you were talking about with regard to Verizon. They've been less than perfect in the past but have opened their network to included GPS services within smartphones and are even releasing new ROMs to enable the service within previously released phones. They've already done this for the Storm and Samsung Omnia i910.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lunchable Food Product View Post

Sprint doesn't charge anything for GPS navigation.

Just saying.

Ssssshhhhh.. AT&T can't be wrong. They have the iPhone so whatever they do is right by default.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

Did anyone notice Philip Schiller's plug for the TomTom system this month at WWDC 2009? He sure as hell DIDN'T peddle this pathetic POS from AT&T, which amounts to little more than groveling for revenue crumbs falling off of Apple's table.

I'll warn you - this begins a long rant against AT&T, ignited by their Navigator announcement and the recognition that this bloated relic in the communications industry still has it all wrong strategically, and may be in even more trouble in the long-run than Microsoft.

The particulars of the indictment:

1. AT&T Navigator is a desperate attempt to extract more revenue from iPhone users, serving up an app-styled system that offers little extra value for the $120/year price. The directions feature of the basic iPhone Maps app will do all the basic stuff to get you from one place to another, and a simple Google search will find you every gas station, restaurant and specialty store you want in your locale. To do a search, you don't want to be playing with your iPhone or any other GPS device while driving - traffic is dangerous enough and you need to keep your eyes on the road. Why is AT&T wasting time with a such a fringe iPhone application? This idea is in free fall out of the box and will crash in a few months with a thundering thud. If it survives a year, I'd be surprised - or it'll be another money-loser as AT&T squanders its efforts on an insignificant contribution to total revenue.

2. So far, AT&T has gotten a pass in the media about its resistance to tethering iPhones to notebooks, thus enabling a truly portable Internet connection for iPhone notebook users. As announced at the WWDC, the 3G S will have this capability in dozens of countries outside the U.S. with dozens of other wireless carriers. But here? Fuggedaboudit!! AT&T is petrified at the thought that you'll be using your phone as the equivalent of a laptop wireless modem! No more $60/month AT&T Wireless Connect fees (5GB/month maximum!)! No more Bill Kurtis commercials telling us how he's so much faster than Andy Roddick and Sugar Ray Leonard! Here again is a case of AT&T tying itself to another business venture that will decline to nothing in a few years, eclipsed by newer technology and wireless competition willing to implement it.

3. Despite what it says, this sorry behemoth is still wedded to copper - paired wire wireline POTS to residential phone customers. They'll get out of this when the contribution of the business drops below the salvage value from ripping out the wire and selling it as scrap.

4. Don't think Apple is unaware of or will overlook AT&T's anti-customer behavior by trying to prevent iPhone tethering or dragging its feet on MMS. Apple says that its current iPhones are not technically configured to work with other U.S. carriers, but what about the future? Whatever the length of Apple's exclusive carrier agreement with AT&T, you can be sure it's not perpetual. The day will come when that agreement expires, and on that very day, Apple will deploy its newest iPhone capabilities and technologies with whichever U.S. wireless carrier is willing to come to the party. For AT&T to resist the distribution of new Apple capabilities - iPhone notebook tethering being a case in point - is for AT&T to brand itself as a backwards relic, entitled to wearing dunce cap and sitting in the corner of the class.

If you're an investor for the long pull, you want to be loading up on AAPL and getting out of T while you can. It's the difference between a creative organization focused on new opportunities to win customers and a mossbound has-been trying to hold on to businesses that matter less and less in the marketplace.

The reality is that at this stage Apple is enabling AT&T. AT&T feels they can do what they do because the goose that lays the golden egg isn't going anywhere else or doing anything else. It is Apple that insists on making a single phone that uses a single standard. There are plenty of phones that do quad-band and also CDMA/EVDO. You can knock Palm or Blackberry all you want but the reality is that their phones go across multiple vendors and networks.

I'm actually hoping Apple stays with AT&T for a bit more. Apple's adoption of a walled garden for the iPhone is making AT&T think they can do the same thing and in the meantime they are forcing competitors open much more than they ever were in the past. Give this six more months and GPS will be included free on every other network and phone while being separate and expensive on the iPhone ala MMS messaging.
  • Reply 100 of 128
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Do you really need turn-by-turn directions to get from CA to NY? Just get on I-80 and drive East till you see the GW bridge. Well, OK, the whole I-95 thing at the end could be confusing to some, I guess.

Are you familiar with the current crop of GPS units? Its not just the turn-by-turn between your starting and ending points, but being able to know where gas stations, restaurants, rest stops, stores, etc. are along the way. Not to mention advance warning for the inevitable detours during what's known as "construction season" in the more temperate parts of the country (which I-80 goes right through).