Windows 7 priced below Vista, to allow upgrades from XP

Comments

• Reply 101 of 197
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

something important? SOMETHING IMPORTANT? DUDE! I can't believe you just said that to me. You and I... We wouldn't make it as friends IRL ;P

Ok, but honestly, the plain honest truth is whatever you can do with a Mac, I can do with a PC (albeit not as smoothly in some cases.) Actually, I may be wrong in that statement. What I probably should say is, anything I would NEED to do with a Mac, I can do on a PC. Add to the fact that I love gaming (left4dead anyone? PM me) and I'm a system builder, and you can see why I haven't gone the way of the mac just yet (and I'm not bashing osx.)

With Vista, I never really saw a need to upgrade. I use it at work, I have no qualms with it whatsoever, but when it came down to it, I always tell people if they have XP, save your money. If you're looking for a PC and the one you want only comes with Vista, don't fret, it's not bad. Windows 7, on the other hand, is something I'll jump on.

It's statements like this that are completely ignorant and exactly what I spoke to above. Shame on you.

Sure. You can e-mail and word-process and do up a website on both systems.
  • Reply 102 of 197
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

If I liked Vista, I'd continue to use it.

We're only exposed to Vista and other flavours of Windows on a daily basis. Who do you think fixes Windows for friends and family? Mac users.

Guess that explains why such Windows using friends and families have so many problems

Can't imagine how satisfied with experience would Mac users be if Windows people would be fixing their problems
  • Reply 103 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Can't imagine how satisfied with experience would Mac users be if Windows people would be fixing their problems

We wouldn't know because there would be nothing to fix.
  • Reply 104 of 197
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:

Sure. You can e-mail and word-process and do up a website on both systems.

Again, an ignorant statement that shows how little you know about Windows, or how hard you try to spread misinformation.

Seriously, what can your Mac do that my PC can't? Can you answer for me please? Since you know so much about Windows obviously.
  • Reply 105 of 197
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imGayForSteveJobs View Post

Why do these articles keep comparing pricing between OSX and Windows. Why would someone owning a Mac even consider the two?

"Hmm, I could upgrade to snow leopard... or I could put Windows 7 on my Mac, decisions decisions"

If you have a Mac, I doubt you are debating which OS to put on it. If you have a PC, well price doesn't matter because you would have to buy a Mac anyways. So WHO CARES!

Some people have more than one computer, and macs have bootcamp...
  • Reply 106 of 197
    Quote:

Again, an ignorant statement that shows how little you know about Windows, or how hard you try to spread misinformation.

Seriously, what can your Mac do that my PC can't? Can you answer for me please? Since you know so much about Windows obviously.

Make you Justin Long cool ?
  • Reply 107 of 197
    Quote:

We wouldn't know because there would be nothing to fix.

Awww common. There must be some value even in troubled Macs worth fixing
  • Reply 108 of 197
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

Vista has great value for me. More stable, more secure than XP. Better looking, better (if not much different) interface. And going to 64-bit Vista finally let me have 8GB of RAM without sacrificing any of 32-bit applications I was using before upgrade.

Vista was frustrating in it's early stage (more due to 3rd party support, but still), and also for over-optimistic people trying to run it comfortably on 1GB (or less) Celeron notebooks and desktops. Everyone else - and, coincidently, everyone I know - is more than happy with Vista.

With a decent rig for gaming Vista 32bit ain't that bad. With SP1. And then go 64-bit then you'll be happier*...again, caveat, SP1. And Googling lots if you are putting together your own system... I don't know about laptops... But Windows 7 offers the real promise. Like I said, if Microsoft don't screw it up, let's do Windows 7 and forget Vista ever happened.

*Driver issues ain't 100% sorted out even to this day, see my next post.
  • Reply 109 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Microsoft dropped the ball even when it came to games. There really should be no need for a third party company like Valve to provide the digital store and multiplayer back-end for PC games.

Not that I'm complaining, Valve's Steam solution is brilliant and the top reason to install Windows. Steam existed way before Apple's app store. Apple is merely treading in Valve's footprints when it comes to games.

I disagree that Microsoft are overcharging at $49.99 though. That's a great price and should attract a lot of Windows XP users. Don't forget that Apple are charging $10 for yearly iPod touch updates. Against that backdrop, Windows 7 is a bargain.

Valve's Steam is the best thing out there in digital games distribution. iTunes for PC games, and guess what, it's not rampantly outrageously geographically-restricted.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

While a 32-bit OS was certainly the way to go for most XP and Vista users when they came out due to rampant driver issues, that isn’t so much the case now for Vista or Seven. I have had no 64-bit driver issues for quite some time in my testing, though I rarely have had need to hook up a printer or scanner, but from what I’ve read on that front it finally has been taken care of. The only machines that really will still require 32-bit OS are the Atom-based netbooks, but most notebook and desktops in 2010 should have 64-bit capable processors, sufficient driver and hopefully get the 64-bit Seven installed.

Try googling Linksys' WMP54G... A very common, popular, decent and continues to be sold, PCI 802.11B/G card. Here's a hint. It takes about 3 hours of serious Googling to actually realise it works on Vista 64-bit, if at all you realise it... I took Cisco's word that it wasn't supported and so stuck with 32bit for months more than I should have. In this case Cisco has to take the blame for not offering the **** driver. It was the one last thing stopping me from installing Vista 64-bit. That and game bugginess. But, GPU, MOBO and so on drivers have improved for Vista 64, and yes, games progressively are patched. It's not plain sailing though. Really, that WMP54G, ain't no joke finding the driver for that. ...And the whole DX10 Vista-only fiasco... With so many games still DX9 only, or DX10 titles being totally ridiculously demanding in terms of hardware (and still is).......
  • Reply 110 of 197
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

How come you don't have a 64-bit kernel? The unibody MB alu with 9400M supports a 64-bit kernel right????

Yeah, all Macs since C2D support it, they just haven?t have built in the option yet. They probably will have it ready shortly, but if they don?t it won?t make much of a difference either way.
  • Reply 111 of 197
    Quote:

Try googling Linksys' WMP54G... A very common, popular, decent and continues to be sold, PCI 802.11B/G card. Here's a hint. It takes about 5 hours of serious Googling to actually realise it works on Vista 64-bit. In this case Cisco has to take the blame for not offering the **** driver. It was the one last thing stopping me from installing Vista 64-bit. That and game bugginess. But, GPU, MOBO and so on drivers have improved for Vista 64, and yes, games progressively are patched. It's not plain sailing though.

Really, that WMP54G, ain't no joke finding the driver for that.

Always some straggler messing it up for the rest of us. At least with Snow Leopard you have a very slick method for going from 64-bit to 32-bit without having to reinstall the OS. The irony is that Apple?s approach to the problem also means that you are less likely to have these issues in the first place.

Would it really be too hard for MS to also ship a 32-bit version of the OS on the same or accompanying disc, yet still with only one serial key?
  • Reply 112 of 197
    Quote:

Ummm... Garageband and iPhoto. Not as trivial as they seem. A comparable PC application with similar ease-of-use, great, fluid UI and... comes bundled FREE... does not exist.

Let's face the realities. I know I can't play Far Cry 2 or Left 4 Dead at high resolutions and high quality on my MacBook (even with 9400M). But I know what my MacBook can do my PC can't.
  • Reply 113 of 197
    Quote:

...Would it really be too hard for MS to also ship a 32-bit version of the OS on the same or accompanying disc, yet still with only one serial key?

Great idea, not gonna happen on Windows 7. Heck, they could ship the different 32-bit versions on one disc (Home Premium, Business, Ultimate, Super, whatever), but they're not gonna do that are they? <sigh>
  • Reply 114 of 197
    Quote:

Ummm... Garageband and iPhoto. Not as trivial as they seem. A comparable PC application with similar ease-of-use, great, fluid UI and... comes bundled FREE... does not exist.

Let's face the realities. I know I can't play Far Cry 2 or Left 4 Dead at high resolutions and high quality on my MacBook (even with 9400M). But I know what my MacBook can do my PC can't.

Well that's the thing about Freeware. Apple got behind something low cost, and bundled it. Basically, they did the search for you. There ARE free programs out there comparable though. I mean, a lot of the features of iphoto are found free in Google's picasa software.

While osx has a lot of free goodies, alternatives can be found for the Windows OS as well.

(I admittedly don't know the details of garageband. I mean I know what it does, but why does a place like download.com list it as being $79? Is there a lite version that comes free or something?)
  • Reply 115 of 197
    Quote:

Awww common. There must be some value even in troubled Macs worth fixing

Macs are always worth fixing. Even the older ones keep an amazingly high value. Used iBook G4s in good condition go for about $650 CDN or so.
  • Reply 116 of 197
    Quote:

With a decent rig for gaming Vista 32bit ain't that bad. With SP1. And then go 64-bit then you'll be happier*...again, caveat, SP1. And Googling lots if you are putting together your own system... I don't know about laptops... But Windows 7 offers the real promise. Like I said, if Microsoft don't screw it up, let's do Windows 7 and forget Vista ever happened.

*Driver issues ain't 100% sorted out even to this day, see my next post.

True, with SP1. Early adoption of Vista wasn't smooth.

But, hey. Neither was early adoption of some new Mac systems. For example, I've heard recently Apple still has no clues what is causing MacBook Pro screen corruption, and firmware update didn't help.

And that with much smaller hardware base, compared with what MS has to deal with.
  • Reply 117 of 197
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

What about everyone who bought the $399 botch job called Vista and now have to pay more to get the fixed version?

Just because Microsoft changed the name from Vista SP3 to Windows 7 doesn't justify a extra $219 to upgrade.

That's a whopping $618 for a working operating system.

exactly - anyone who upgraded from XP to Vista and now wants to upgrade again to Win 7 is getting royally screwed by MS. total cost is somewhere between $350 and $600 for the two upgrades depending on which version of Vista/Win 7 they have (and as everyone notes, only Ultimate really equals Apple's single version OS X).

what an insult. Vista was a flawed initial version of NT 6.x (6.0), but MS is making those loyal users pay twice to get the "good" second version (6.1),

A killer Microsoft Tax. think the press and MS loving pundits will notice? nah ...
  • Reply 118 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

exactly - anyone who upgraded from XP to Vista and now wants to upgrade again to Win 7 is getting royally screwed by MS. total cost is somewhere between $350 and $600 for the two upgrades depending on which version of Vista/Win 7 they have (and as everyone notes, only Ultimate really equals Apple's single version OS X).

I?d wager that most Windows users won?t upgrade their OS, they?ll just wait until they need a new PC before getting the next OS.
  • Reply 119 of 197
    Quote:

I?d wager that most Windows users won?t upgrade their OS, they?ll just wait until they need a new PC before getting the next OS.

what's sad is that this truly is the mentality of a lot of people. Really, it doesn't matter if it's a custom machine or a dell, individual components like the ram and cpu CAN be upgraded, and provide such an increase in performance that it feels like it's a different machine.

I used to get so pissed when my mom would randomly inform me of her new dell purchase. She did that to me about 3 times before I finally said, look, mom, if you buy another dell I will run away! Then she let me build her a system, and she's been loving it ever since. In fact, when I buy Windows 7, I'll be purchasing some extra ram for her to go along with it lol.
  • Reply 120 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

what an insult. Vista was a flawed initial version of NT 6.x (6.0), but MS is making those loyal users pay twice to get the "good" second version (6.1),

A killer Microsoft Tax. think the press and MS loving pundits will notice? nah ...

you guys keep making it sound like this is a minor upgrade. This is an entirely new operating system. It isn't a vista fix or a patch or a service pack, and if anyone ever gets confused and thinks that it is, it's only because people like you are spreading misinformation about the subject.