Apple retail commitment, head-count surge over 55 percent

Comments

• Reply 41 of 66
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

Other than possibly some of the big-name cities like Paris and Rome where Apple is looking to make a "fashion" statement for its brand, I don't think Apple will be opening any Apple Stores in Europe or Asia outside of the UK and Japan.

What the heck are you talking about?
  • Reply 42 of 66
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

That's a lot of pretty colors. do they mean anything?

Among other things, I think they signify someone having too much time on their hands, and an unhealthy obsession with a company that makes computers.
  • Reply 43 of 66
    I am not at all a fan of Apple's retailing strategy, and its continued expected growth: The capitalized value of the lease payments exceeds the value of the cumulative capex (i.e., fixed assets) in the rest of Apple.

It would be justifiable if retailing were hugely profitable; but retailing is a low-margin business. The segment data reported in Apple's recent 10-K filing does, indeed, bear this out: In 2006, the retailing segment of Apple generated an operating margin of less than 6% (198/3359), as opposed to 17% for the rest of the company's business (2708/15956).

Unless Apple pays close attention, this could start to become a drag on the company's stock price......
  • Reply 44 of 66
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I am not at all a fan of Apple's retailing strategy, and its continued expected growth: The capitalized value of the lease payments exceeds the value of the cumulative capex (i.e., fixed assets) in the rest of Apple.

It would be justifiable if retailing were hugely profitable; but retailing is a low-margin business. The segment data reported in Apple's recent 10-K filing does, indeed, bear this out: In 2006, the retailing segment of Apple generated an operating margin of less than 6% (198/3359), as opposed to 17% for the rest of the company's business (2708/15956).

Unless Apple pays close attention, this could start to become a drag on the company's stock price......

I know many people that have switched (or have gone back) to Macs ONLY because they were able to actually use the machine in the store. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the stores are definitely a part of the reason Apple sales are increasing. Part of the "Halo effect", if you will.
  • Reply 45 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

What the heck are you talking about?

Was his post not perfectly clear?
  • Reply 46 of 66
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat View Post

Was his post not perfectly clear?

Not until he said this;

"I don't think Apple will be opening any Apple Stores in Europe or Asia outside of the UK and Japan."

Does he really think that, cause if does I think he's crazy, and possibly too Americanized. There's a whole other world out there my friend just waiting to be explored. Watch, he voted for Bush too. Gore for president 2008 (don't say he's not running, cause I read up on it.. and some of his closest friends think he may run) he's the only may who can save this world from the state Bush will leave it in. And I'm Irish just to let you know, born, bred and living here.
  • Reply 47 of 66
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Yet another NYC flagship store? Arrrg! Good Grief!
  • Reply 48 of 66
    celcocelco Posts: 211member
    Why?

Because only at macworld time does the FONT GET LARGER.
  • Reply 49 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I know many people that have switched (or have gone back) to Macs ONLY because they were able to actually use the machine in the store. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the stores are definitely a part of the reason Apple sales are increasing. Part of the "Halo effect", if you will.

I can see a basis for that argument -- however, it would be useful to see some hard data that supports it (e.g., from Apple or some independent mktg research group).

This much I do know: As of 2006, Apple has become substantially more of an iPod/iTunes company than a Mac desktop/notebok company, despite the retail stores.
  • Reply 50 of 66
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,606member
    Quote:

That's no excuse, there was well over 100 stores in the US, before those cases came about.

Most companies come close to saturating their home markets before venturing outside. Others, such as Japanese companies, have to sell outside because of the size of the home economy, and the fact that their business practices require them to seek outside markets. They subsidise their foreign sales with extermely high prices at home, and high tarifs towards foreign manufacturers, as well as a very nationalistic buying public, exorted by the government to "Buy Japanese".

Other countries have the same situation. Even in Europe, that situation prevails, though to a lesser extent.

It's different here. It's less risky for Apple to build up its operation here first, then move overseas.
  • Reply 51 of 66
    Quote:

You're missing the point to Apple's strategy.

They didn't move into retail just to sell through stores. They did it to give the public, which has not had a good situation regarding Apple's retail presence, a chance to see, and of course, also buy, their products in the best possible light.

If profits were the only gauge of their retail strategy, then they would eliminate the genius bars, the classes, the hands on policy, etc.

That would make the stores far more profitable?if people still came.

Many people have never had the opportunity to see and use a Mac at all! This changes that. People come from the stores with a better feeling about Apple and their products. The high traffic means that people are interested. That's important.

Apple has never had that with CompUsa, or even their small Mac retailers.
  • Reply 52 of 66
    Quote:

Not until he said this;

"I don't think Apple will be opening any Apple Stores in Europe or Asia outside of the UK and Japan."

Does he really think that, cause if does I think he's crazy, and possibly too Americanized. There's a whole other world out there my friend just waiting to be explored. Watch, he voted for Bush too. Gore for president 2008 (don't say he's not running, cause I read up on it.. and some of his closest friends think he may run) he's the only may who can save this world from the state Bush will leave it in. And I'm Irish just to let you know, born, bred and living here.

What are you talking about?

Why bring politics into this at all?

If you must, then know that Bush (who I DIDN'T vote for (so there!)) is one of the more famous users of the iPod. He's shown it publicly.
  • Reply 53 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

Yet another NYC flagship store? Arrrg! Good Grief!

You should come down sometime.

Both the SoHo and the GM Plaza stores are packed. I've had friends go down to the GM store after 1 a.m., and have been told that there were 100 people there, and that the registers were busy.

My Mac user group meets in the SoHo store, and even after the GM store opened up, it's still packed.

Since they opened, they had to open registers in two extra places in the store.

We can definitely use another store.
  • Reply 54 of 66
    Quote:

I can see a basis for that argument -- however, it would be useful to see some hard data that supports it (e.g., from Apple or some independent mktg research group).

This much I do know: As of 2006, Apple has become substantially more of an iPod/iTunes company than a Mac desktop/notebok company, despite the retail stores.

Apple and independent sources have said that 50% of people buying Macs in the Apple stores have not owned a Mac before. I believe that. Over the past two years, I've found a lot of people buying Macs for the first time. Most have purchased them in Apple's stores after using them for a while.

Computer sales are still almost 50% of the total sales. And that number includes software, and other non-Apple products in the other 50%.
  • Reply 55 of 66
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I certainly don't have any hard data, but I do know I've made many people switch just by having them to go into a store and check it out. All are impressed with the store setup and the look of the machines, and many either buy or say they are buying for their next computer purchase. I've personally switched 8 people in 2006. Two more on my "Mac Switchers punch card" and I get a free MacBook (I wish it were that easy).

Do they showcase Parallels running Windows on any of the display Macs? This would be of the things I'd want to see before making my movie.
  • Reply 56 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I certainly don't have any hard data, but I do know I've made many people switch just by having them to go into a store and check it out. All are impressed with the store setup and the look of the machines, and many either buy or say they are buying for their next computer purchase. I've personally switched 8 people in 2006. Two more on my "Mac Switchers punch card" and I get a free MacBook (I wish it were that easy).

Do they showcase Parallels running Windows on any of the display Macs? This would be of the things I'd want to see before making my movie.

Why would they do that when Leopard will run Windows applications in parallel? </speculation>
  • Reply 57 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by psilopsyche View Post

Why would they do that when Leopard will run Windows applications in parallel? </speculation>

He's talking about what can be done now, and you are talking about something that Apple has already said they will not do.
  • Reply 58 of 66
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You should come down sometime.

Both the SoHo and the GM Plaza stores are packed. I've had friends go down to the GM store after 1 a.m., and have been told that there were 100 people there, and that the registers were busy.

My Mac user group meets in the SoHo store, and even after the GM store opened up, it's still packed.

Since they opened, they had to open registers in two extra places in the store.

We can definitely use another store.

I will make the trip sometime this year, I've only been to NYC once and I loved it. Maybe in Feb or in the summer.
  • Reply 59 of 66
    bentonbenton Posts: 161member
    Might the weak dollar be an inhibiting factor to building out more Apple retail stores?
  • Reply 60 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

I will make the trip sometime this year, I've only been to NYC once and I loved it. Maybe in Feb or in the summer.

Other than the fact that NYC is warmer than where you are in Feb, I would say not to come then.

But, welcome anytime.