Apple stuns Macworld crowd with multi-function iPhone device

Comments

• Reply 81 of 439
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

First I'm a bit disappointed with the lack of new hardware introductions today of the PC type. Some products are just due for refresh.

That however is not IPhone related, but even here I'm disappointed.

First; the phone costs way to much, especially if forced into a 2 year contract with Cingular. I'm hoping that by June they realize the errors of their ways and set a more reasonable price. I haven't seen Cingulars contract for this device, but lets face it it won't be to the users advantage.

Does anyone actually look at competitive offerings before making these comments??? The Palm Trea 750 is $499 with contract (before rebate and who knows about those in the future) and it only comes with 60 MB (that megabytes) of user accessible storage.
  • Reply 82 of 439
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

The law is good for 3 years.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2064707,00.asp

Interesting, but semi useful.

Companies don't always support features on phones they don't sell. you might be able to use your phone, but might find that some functionality is lost.
  • Reply 83 of 439
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    No doubt, Steve lived up to his pre-Macworld keynote teaser, i.e., " The first 30 years were just the beginning. Welcome to 2007.”

And now, with the announcement that the iPhone includes over 200 new patents and his final closing statement after Mayer finished and Steve thanked Macworld Expo attendees for coming, added, "We'll see you all soon," I expect a lot more annoucements and innovations to come and very quickly.

Quote:

…iPhone includes…a full QWERTY soft keyboard…. When users need to type, iPhone presents them with an elegant touch keyboard which is predictive to prevent and correct mistakes, making it much easier and more efficient to use than the small plastic keyboards on many smartphones.

It seems more than possible now that a new laptop or even a tablet could be coming. With the new "Mult-Touch" technology replacing the current mechanical keyboard. Placing two fingers on the spacebar and the keyboard becomes a trackpad.

In fact, why not include a cell phone with a multi-touch numeric keypad/dialpad on the right side.

Thinner. Lighter.
  • Reply 84 of 439
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

Does anyone actually look at competitive offerings before making these comments??? The Palm Trea 750 is $499 with contract (before rebate and who knows about those in the future) and it only comes with 60 MB (that megabytes) of user accessible storage.

My Treo that I paid $399 for at Sprint, is now going for $299, both there and from Verison.
  • Reply 85 of 439
    csimmonscsimmons Posts: 101member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbaynham View Post

i hate to do this, but i just saw this at the bottom of the page of the iphone.

'This device has not been authorized as required by the rules of the Federal Communications Commission. This device is not, and may not be, offered for sale or lease, or sold or leased, until authorization is obtained'

...which is probably why it won't be shipping until June.
  • Reply 86 of 439
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scottiB View Post

See here.

You're taking the fun out of it.
  • Reply 87 of 439
    Not saying this works because I've never needed to unlock a phone. But that article or maybe another said it's best to tell your service provider that your are moving out the country and you need to unlock your phone. I don't know, I've never tried.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pistolero View Post

That is incorrect. Cell phone companies are NOT required at all to provide any unlocking codes at all. however any individual or company can provide/sell the locks and the cell phone companies cannot sue to prevent it.

Well i guess this means more business for random phone unlocking companies. It's usually just a few keystrokes.
  • Reply 88 of 439
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by csimmons View Post

...which is probably why it won't be shipping until June.

They probably also have to finish up the software, and then begin manufacture.
  • Reply 89 of 439
    cactuscactus Posts: 44member
    do we know if this uses a standard dock connector?
  • Reply 90 of 439
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tdnc101 View Post

Your problems don't seem to be with the iPhone, instead, with functions like touchscreen electronics in general. Please, stay in chocolatelely Belgium, your design comments (Widgets instead of Safari!) I think contradict the general feelings of most Mac users. I could be wrong, but this is from my impressions.

Dear Ted, reading this thread I do realise that I am more a candyphone kind of profile i/o a smartphone guy! So, to all the smart people around here, enjoy this little baby from apple and please send some condolences to me. But make sure I can open it on my Candybar
  • Reply 91 of 439
    josa92josa92 Posts: 193member
    I call fake!

• Reply 92 of 439
    I use Sprint, and we have a great plan, so I won't be switching carriers. BUT, since it has built in wifi, can't we use it on wireless networks and use ichat and such? I know it's alot, but I would pay 500 for it.
  • Reply 93 of 439
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

I thought you could port your number to different providers in the US? I might be wrong, we can't do so in Canada, but I have something nagging in the back of my head that I heard this at some point.

I think that in February, here in Canada, you'll end up owning your number. Though making a carrier give it to another might prove to be a chore.

flick.
  • Reply 94 of 439
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by philipcolett View Post

I use Sprint, and we have a great plan, so I won't be switching carriers. BUT, since it has built in wifi, can't we use it on wireless networks and use ichat and such? I know it's alot, but I would pay 500 for it.

The $500 quoted price is the subsidised price for people who sign a 2 year contract with Cingular. There is no indication (as of yet) that there will be an unlocked version offered for sale by Apple.
  • Reply 95 of 439
    techboytechboy Posts: 183member
    No one is concern about the puny 5 hours battery life? Can anyone confirm if the 5-hr is the actually operating time and not including standby time?
  • Reply 96 of 439
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flick Justice View Post

I think that in February, here in Canada, you'll end up owning your number. Though making a carrier give it to another might prove to be a chore.

flick.

Too bad you can't keep your number when you change area codes! (which I've done four times in the past 18 months!)
  • Reply 97 of 439
    scottibscottib Posts: 381member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cactus View Post

do we know if this uses a standard dock connector?

Yes, it does.
  • Reply 98 of 439
    mrpiddlymrpiddly Posts: 406member
    The iPhone is still smaller and lighter than the zune.

Zune :

4.4 in. x 2.4 in. x 0.6 in.

Weight: 5.6 ounces

iPhone :

4.5 x 2.4 x 0.46 inches

Weight : 4.8 ounces

and the iPhone has better battery life for music, and a bigger screen.
  • Reply 99 of 439
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Techboy View Post

No one is concern about the puny 5 hours battery life? Can anyone confirm if the 5-hr is the actually operating time and not including standby time?

5 hours is the talk/video/browsing time. Apple claims 16 hours of audio playback. I would assume that the standby time will be significantly more than this.
  • Reply 100 of 439
    jbcarojbcaro Posts: 47member
    Looks like amazing tech. Just a few thigs though.

1. 8GB not enough to store music, pics, video, emails, messages, etc.

2. Cingular. Hopefully this will change in short time.

3. Paradigm shift in how we operate a phone. Most hold phone in hand and operate buttons with thumb of same hand. The tactile sensation of the button allows us to know where we should apply pressure to activate that button. How well this works with the iPhone remains to be seen. Will we now need to use two hands (one to hold phone and other to navigate)?

4. Cost of phone is known. What about the cost of the monthly plans.

5. Not stated is phones 'stand-by' time.

j