'Apple TV' coming to a living room near you

Comments

• Reply 21 of 95
    Wow, this is a really boring product.

720p output - the lowest format you can output and still call it HD (someone did say it upconverts 1080i but I can't find that on the product specs)

40GB hard drive-so it's got a lower capacity than my current 5G 60GB iPod

widescreen TV's only

So for $299 + the cost of a new widescreen TV, I can watch non-HD 640x480 videos from iTunes or manage to get 720p video from another source. I just bought an Airport Express so I can already wirelessly send iTunes music to my stereo (which I enjoy doing).

Well, I noticed on the product website that the TV shows were shown in CORRECT alphabetical order. Maybe that means an update will be available soon for Front Row that will allow it to have that same magical feature.

I'm by far much more excited about getting a Tivo DVR and Toast 8 with TivoToGo. At least the new Airport Extreme Base Station offered some interesting features like the wireless hard drive sharing.

Like others have said, maybe the 2.0 version will be better (assuming it survives to get to 2.0).
  • Reply 22 of 95
    Give it DVR and I'm all over it like stink on poo, otherwise, no thanks.
  • Reply 23 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Propofol View Post

I just don't understand - will this let me watch DIVX tv shows I've downloaded from the bittorrrent network? If not, I can't watch anything as I live in Canada...

Also, it simply won't work on a non-widescreen TV, or will it work and just show a wide aspect ratio on a 4:3 screen? Anyone know? I realize this is not yet out, but I thought maybe someone might know...

Excellent question and no definitive answer. I would have naturally thought that it could hook up and be used via component video to a standard television that is component video capable (as is done with my present DVD player) with typical 4:3 ratio issues but Apple seems adamant that widescreen is necessary, no exceptions. I wouldn't risk the cash. I suppose more answers will appear once the device begins to ship....
  • Reply 24 of 95
    I ordered one but I think I will have to cancel the order. My television is from 1999 and Im guessing does not fit the requirements. Its not "widescreen" and no one at Apple can tell me if it will still work (through a receiver).

I tried one of the help people in the Apple store online and she just sent me links and could not answer anything...
  • Reply 25 of 95
    Boy, nothing but disapointment from Apple today. Itv = the suck, no DVR even though it has an HDD. The phone, while elegent and stylish is 6 bills for an 8 gig model, no thanks (I think they forgot a zero). Last and certainly not least, no video Ipod. What a bummer. If Apple wants to know what will sell, why don't they just ask us. Instead, they assume that we'll jump all over what ever they throw at us. I was looking forward to all 3 of the products I mentioned (and would have gladly bought them all, had they met my needs/expectations). For now, I'll stick with my 360 and see what IPTV has to offer. I'll also be keeping my PPC 6700 and 80 gig Ipod.
  • Reply 26 of 95
    I for one, am happy to plunk down money for this device. I am tired of shuffling physical DVD's and want control of my iTunes library in my media room. For those two reasons alone, this device is worth the price. It will, provide dolby digital, as that is what the Toslink audio port is intended to do. Waiting for the "perfect" hardware means, you may wait indefinitely. I will enjoy the benefits until the ultimate device arrives.
  • Reply 27 of 95
    What benefits? Have you ever ripped DVD's to Itunes. I have done it many times so I can take stuff on the road. It's a pain in the ass. I sure as hell aint doing it to watch at home, 3 feet from my dvd player.
  • Reply 28 of 95
    Funny, with people complaining that it is 720 instead 1080, my problem is exactly the opposite -- I can't hook it up to my analog television. $300 is too much to spend on this device, but I was still probably going to do it. Not any more, as I'm not getting a new television any time soon.

Oh, and I agree with the person who brought up rentals. Jobs may be right that people want to own their music, but I certainly don't want to own every movie that I watch. $10 (and more) is too much for one viewing.
  • Reply 29 of 95
    Agreed, I can rent High-Def stuff on my 360 now though, with no additional investment. What does Itv bring to the table. Nothing.
  • Reply 30 of 95
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ckirkeby View Post

I for one, am happy to plunk down money for this device. I am tired of shuffling physical DVD's and want control of my iTunes library in my media room. For those two reasons alone, this device is worth the price. It will, provide dolby digital, as that is what the Toslink audio port is intended to do. Waiting for the "perfect" hardware means, you may wait indefinitely. I will enjoy the benefits until the ultimate device arrives.

But what about the TV requirements? I was a bit shocked it wouldn't work on just about any TV a direct tv box would work on.

iTV = the big suck because of TV requirements
  • Reply 31 of 95
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ckirkeby View Post

I for one, am happy to plunk down money for this device. I am tired of shuffling physical DVD's and want control of my iTunes library in my media room. For those two reasons alone, this device is worth the price. It will, provide dolby digital, as that is what the Toslink audio port is intended to do.

No sign than this will help you with physical DVDs without extra software/effort on your part.

I thought people were still complaining that movies in the iTunes Store weren't Dolby Digital. Nothing in the specs for this mentions Dolby Digital. I wouldn't assume anything, unless it's in the specs. TOSLINK doesn't guarantee Dolby Digital.
  • Reply 32 of 95
    Itv = the suck for more reasons than that. I own a 1080i TV and still think it sucks.
  • Reply 33 of 95
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Well, I was hoping at a minimum it'd be able to decode 1080p content so that I wouldn't feel the need to upgrade my PPC Mac mini, other more interactive features were negotiable. If you could stream decent HD content to it, then at least it would always be a useful box to have around. As it is, I'll pass.

Looks like they're counting on people who want a bare-minimum media device for their TV to buy it.
  • Reply 34 of 95
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    I'm curious about what kind of upscaling capabilities this thing has, if any.

Either this will be a decent device for which Apple is providing insufficient content or it can upscale like mad.

Most people do not own a 720p HDTV let alone a 1080i/p one. This is a safe play, but perhaps too safe.
  • Reply 35 of 95
    I really am concerned about the limitation that it only seems to work with content native to iTunes sync. No custom codecs, no Creative Commons-licensed videos, no YouTube or video.*.com bridge, and no support for (as others have mentioned) most of the Torrented content out there -- even though all the rumors point to a Torrent fabric being part of 10.5.

Add to this that the high-end buffs get locked out of true 1080p, the mass market can't use their S-Video TV (or, heaven help them, the composite monoplug), and no DVR even though it has a HD (which I understand, Apple Legal and/or Steve's Awesome Fist of Market Power might not have been able to viably get that arranged yet)... it becomes a pigeonholed product that only the zealots and rabid early adopters will grab (and they can't even impulse buy it today).

I hope they come out with 2.0 fairly soon, or I'd be worried that we would have another MacTV on our hands (although, darn, a black Mac was cool).
  • Reply 36 of 95
    anyone know if this will play videos not downloaded from the iTunes store?
  • Reply 37 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by filburt View Post

Questions:
    1. Size: Why 7.7" by 7.7" instead of Mac mini and new AirPort Extreme's 6.5" by 6.5" width and depth?

Exactly! Really strange in my eyes.

Also I'm missing a digital TV-tuner and harddisk recording for this to be the ultimate HTPC system in close collaboration with my Mac mini.
  • Reply 38 of 95
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    I can't understand why people continually expect (or hope) that Apple will release a product with DVR functionality.. DVR's go against Apple's whole philosophy of content distribution..

In case you haven't noticed, Apple is in the business of SELLING you content for a $1.99 an episode or $9.99 for a movie.. Why would you expect them to release a DVR that records for free the same content they are trying to sell? Answer: They WON'T,

If you're holding your breath for an Apple DVR, I hope you have some very big lungs.
  • Reply 39 of 95
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fantastic happy dinner man View Post

anyone know if this will play videos not downloaded from the iTunes store?

It will play anything the iTunes will play... So yes, if you rip a movie into iTunes, then Apple TV will play it.
  • Reply 40 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post

I can't understand why people continually expect (or hope) that Apple will release a product with DVR functionality.. DVR's go against Apple's whole philosophy of content distribution..

In case you haven't noticed, Apple is in the business of SELLING you content for a $1.99 an episode or $9.99 for a movie.. Why would you expect them to release a DVR that records for free the same content they are trying to sell? Answer: They WON'T,

If you're holding your breath for an Apple DVR, I hope you have some very big lungs.

hmmm, I don't know, maybe because I can rip my own cds to Itunes and import mp3s purchase elsewhere. Those factors don't seem to be hurting ITunes.

The bottom line is no DVR = no go as far as I'm concerned.