First whiner thread.

Comments

• Reply 21 of 67
    I am not dissapointed, but not overwelmed with joy either. I've been holding out for a new phone so i'm thrilled for the iPhone, but i kinda expected more out of Macworld. The Apple TV, which doesn't really appeal to me. was expected, no big surprise there. I was really hoping for a glimpse Leopard's "TOP SECRET" features. I think the iPhone interface is probably a lot like Leopard though.
  • Reply 22 of 67
    applepiapplepi Posts: 365member
    The iPhone is almost perfect to me, all it's missing is an 80gig hard drive, T-Mobile support and that built in camera isn't looking too hot (I have a feeling it's pictures are going to look like all those other crappy cell phone cameras - high res but not good quality. Not enough to replace a real digital point and shoot camera).
  • Reply 23 of 67
    One big thing I realized is how by the end of the keynote, I had almost forgotten about AppleTV, and completely forgotten about Paramount. Though this could not be the case, I see it as a good idea for them to jsut do the iPhone at Macworld. Now before you people say "But MACworld is about the MAC'S!", imagine how dissapointed people would of been if there was no iPhone release. No matter what they had to offer, people would of left disappointed. Now I see this is the case here, and even I am disappointed slightly. However, I don't think Apple wanted to put any of their products on the back burner, and I have a strong feeling we'll see a few press release meetings with Steve before long.

(That is just my wishful thinking, and if it doesn't ever happen, feel free to burn me on a stake.)
  • Reply 24 of 67
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    well i just would've liked to see a bit more of leopard...
  • Reply 25 of 67
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    I'm going to chime in here and go out on a ledge...

I think apple post-poned announcing leopard features because vista hasn't launched to consumers yet. I feel apple has put them in a position to do a feature launch of leopard a week or so after vista officially released, and show they have already put vista in a coffin feature / gui wise. At least I hope so. I feel iLife / iWork go along with this theory since they are supposedly tied much closer into leopard than previous releases.

I am glad apple has a phone now and we all can move on. I'm glad itv is released and is hd..... kinda. I hope apple doesn't lose track of the computer part of their company. Because after all, the computer part is who they are. They would be nothing without that part. At the recent leopard talk I went to, they admitted selling hardware is their number once concern. So I can't imagine them dropping the computer section any time soon. Also how else would they develop the software for all these nifty devices?

My hope was a middle line tower as well. Or at least a speed bump to the macpros so I could get a dual dual at a cheaper price. We'll see what appel has in store for us computer wise.
  • Reply 26 of 67
    willrobwillrob Posts: 203member
    I can see the touch screen evolving into a desk top experience. Certainly a desk phone with a larger form factor capable of video conferencing. But think of a future generation of Mac Displays that we control with MultiTouch?flipping pages of documents, scrolling through iPhoto library, zooming in on web pages.... In other words, the iPhone is part of the evolution of the Macintosh.
  • Reply 27 of 67
    I can understand a lot of the whining above, but the ones about iLife puzzle me: What exactly were you looking for as iLife updates? To me it seems like everything that is new (phone, tv, etc) fits perfectly well with the iLife that is out there? Why punish yourselves with another needless $69 upgrade for some trivial additional functionality?!

Also, for the average user, what does OS 10.5 do right away that 10.4.8 does not? (As a post pointed out above, Apple might as well wait for Vista and then sock it to them when that dust settles).
  • Reply 28 of 67
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Apple might as well wait for Vista and then sock it to them when that dust settles).

I think that's what the game plan is.

I share the anticlimax of the day. I want redesigned notebooks and the consumer tower that everyone else wants. But that will have to wait for another day. I'll stay optimistic!
  • Reply 29 of 67
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whiteboytrash View Post

I think you miss the point; This thing puts OS X into the hands of people who would never ever ever consider a Mac..... its a massive step... huge..... most of all business uses might start to embrace the simplicity of OS X......

If you can afford a $600-$700 phone (approx cost without a contract), I'd surely hope you can afford to buy a Mac.

Quote:

One further point... the iPhone not on-sale until June.... expect all iPod 5g to get the full screen treatment in July.........

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Are you implying that you expect the iPod to get the same interface as the iPhone??? I hope you realize that would be even more expensive than the iPhone. The cellular network chip is like a couple of dollars. Add a hard drive and drop Cingular subsidizing the cost, and how much do you think this would cost?
  • Reply 30 of 67
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

You can just see a tablet Mac on the cards now. Maybe an iMac variant with removable screen...from stand/dock...

...and laptops we can 'paw' over the interface of Leopard?

I sure hope so, because this iPhone interface just begs to be put on a tablet. I'd pay good money for this interface on a tablet. I can pass on the phone till it's affordable.
  • Reply 31 of 67
    What about an Octo Mac Pro?
  • Reply 32 of 67

But that name was already taken!

• Reply 33 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

Irony is lesbians f**king each other with penis shaped dildos...

As opposed to dildos shaped like what?
  • Reply 34 of 67
    kroehlkroehl Posts: 164member
    Underwelming to put it mildly.

Like some others have stated - a settop box I can't use and a phone I can't get now (if ever?) Even the phone can be slammed for not having 3G, a decent camera and sufficient storage to make it a good iPod. It looks very cool - admittedly - but for now it might as well just be a concept in a lab somewhere to me.

I seriously hope it will be updated before it hits Europe since 3G is coming strongly and that the price isn't exorbitant because I'll pass on it if it is. HOPEFULLY some of the local carriers will subsidise it heavily......
  • Reply 35 of 67
    The iPhone is a new breed of Mac.

And it's wide open to a billion customers eta June 2007-Asia 2008.

It runs OS X.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 36 of 67
    My 1st phone cost me £125.

I'd pay the £250 Apple are asking for this phone.

It's so MUCH more.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 37 of 67
    Quote:

Irony is lesbians f**king each other with penis shaped dildos...

Heh.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 38 of 67
    Quote:

Apple should have had a special event for the launch of the iPhone, and left the Macworld Expo to what it does best... Macs.

Because Leopard and the Macs aren't ready?

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 39 of 67
    xsmixsmi Posts: 139member
    Well I hope there is a special event in early Feb. for Macs and Leopard. Apple built the company on the backs of its computer users. This was a smack in the face of all of us along with alot of others. I am too angry right now. I almost wish there was a viable alturnative to the Mac for me...
  • Reply 40 of 67
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xsmi View Post

Well I hope there is a special event in early Feb. for Macs and Leopard. Apple built the company on the backs of its computer users. This was a smack in the face of all of us along with alot of others. I am too angry right now. I almost wish there was a viable alternative to the Mac for me...

Seriously, how can this possibly be a smack in the face? They had a revolutionary new product to unveil. So of course they used their biggest event of the year, and of course everything else got the short shrift.

It happens; get over yourself. The iPhone is an extremely complex computer which could potentially mean as much or more to their desktop/laptop computer business as the iPod has. They all feed off each other.