Pogue offers answers to some burning iPhone questions

Comments

• Reply 41 of 86
    bdj21yabdj21ya Posts: 297member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Patrik_L View Post

No Outlook-syncing on Windows-computers is a big dissapointment. Sure, I am a mac-user. but as many else I am forced to work with Windows everyday, and on my compay Exchange with Outlook is used for all planning and email. To not being able to sync with Outlook on my job is a huge dealbreaker for me, since it is necessary.

Hopefully David is wrong about this, because if it is correct, I think Apple would sell a lot fewer phones. I mean, even th iPod can today sync with Outlook, via iTunes.

My guess is that this is a misunderstanding; Apple says it won't sync with Outlook directly, but it will sync with iTunes and get data from Outlook through it.

It's pretty easy to set Outlook to forward email, and I believe you are right, since I doubt Apple is going to alter iTunes for Windows to also be an address book and calendar program.
  • Reply 42 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post

Too bad about the GPS. I thought iPhone would do directions too.

I'm sure that before long you'll be able to...

1) buy a small bluetooth GPS receiver

2) turn it on

3) throw it up on your dash

4) get GPS coordinates sent wirelessly to your iPhone.

This solution would still require downloading map data via the cellular connection.

Unfortunately the iPhone's lack of internal storage means you won't be able to carry maps of all of North America.
  • Reply 43 of 86
    I think a lot of you are hyperventilating..... e.g., no one from Apple has said "no 3rd party apps" (in fact, Jobs has implied the opposite in an interview with MSNBC -- he just wants them to not screw up the software, and hence operation of the phone, that's all); no one has said "no 3G" (in fact, Jobs has said the opposite); if iPods can currently do MS Outlook (a piece of s**t by way way of an email app, but I suppose people still use it), I see no reason why a new iPod shouldn't be able to either (but Jobs hasn't said this yet); if I can sync my wireless keyboard etc via bluetooth in OSX, I expect that I should be able to do the same with iPhone (but Jobs hasn't said this yet); re the phone being unlocked, the law, as I understand it in the US, requires the service provider to unlock it for you after 6 months; no one has said that .Mac won't work;..... and on and on.

Read the many insightful reader responses to Pogue's posts before getting in a tizzy, guys! (See links in my previous post).

However, I suppose some of these (e.g., bluetooth or other OSX-depdendent functionality) could be issues for Vista/Windows users. But they can always switch to a Mac.
  • Reply 44 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdj21ya View Post

It's pretty easy to set Outlook to forward email, and I believe you are right, since I doubt Apple is going to alter iTunes for Windows to also be an address book and calendar program.

It already is. http://www.apple.com/ipod/sync.html

iTunes is the multi-headed bloated beast of the Apple world roaming over your peripherals consuming all resources in it's old carbon ways. I wish they'd just fscking stop adding more and more to the thing and do the right thing and pension iTunes off. It badly needs a rewrite. If they did, then they could port iSync to Windows too and expand that instead of putting more crap all in to one program.
  • Reply 45 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

...; if iPods can currently do MS Outlook (a piece of s**t by way way of an email app, but I suppose people still use it), I see no reason why a new iPod shouldn't be able to either (but Jobs hasn't said this yet); ....

Sorry.... I meant the calendar program (whatever it's called), not MS Outlook!
  • Reply 46 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Sorry.... I meant the calendar program (whatever it's called), not MS Outlook!

It's called MS Outlook.

On Windows you've got

Outlook - includes email, shared addressbook, forms, calendar, todo, meetings all in one groupware application and works with Exchange Server - it's hideous. It comes with the pro version of Office. Late in it's life they added in internet mail too but most corporate types don't use the internet based standards to talk to their mail server (ie. IMAP, POP3 etc). It was MS's answer to Lotus Notes rather than being an internet based thing.

Outlook Express - Totally unrelated to Outlook. Produced by a different team even. No Calendar, no address book (it uses the local WAB address book), no todo and can't work with Exchange other than via IMAP/POP3. This is their entry level mail program.

Both used to have totally different interfaces though they've got more similar over time.

In Vista, Outlook Express is replaced by 'Windows Mail'. I'm not sure what they're doing with Outlook as I've not had the inclination to look.

On the Mac we've not really got the groupware backend yet - the Exchange Server - if you will. That would appear to be changing in Leopard as they've been implementing CalDAV for sharing calendars, a centralised wiki! and Open Directory. All based on internet standards. That doesn't really help anyone stuck in corporate Microsoft land though wanting to sync info from an Exchange server and an IT department that fear for their jobs if something other than Microsoft enters their realm.
  • Reply 47 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

It's called MS Outlook.

On Windows you've got

Outlook - includes email, shared addressbook, forms, calendar, todo, meetings all in one groupware application and works with Exchange Server - it's hideous. It comes with the pro version of Office. Late in it's life they added in internet mail too but most corporate types don't use the internet based standards to talk to their mail server (ie. IMAP, POP3 etc). It was MS's answer to Lotus Notes rather than being an internet based thing.

Outlook Express - Totally unrelated to Outlook. Produced by a different team even. No Calendar, no address book (it uses the local WAB address book), no todo and can't work with Exchange other than via IMAP/POP3. This is their entry level mail program.

Both used to have totally different interfaces though they've got more similar over time.

In Vista, Outlook Express is replaced by 'Windows Mail'. I'm not sure what they're doing with Outlook as I've not had the inclination to look.

On the Mac we've not really got the groupware backend yet - the Exchange Server - if you will. That would appear to be changing in Leopard as they've been implementing CalDAV for sharing calendars, a centralised wiki! and Open Directory. All based on internet standards. That doesn't really help anyone stuck in corporate Microsoft land though wanting to sync info from an Exchange server and an IT department that fear for their jobs if something other than Microsoft enters their realm.

aegisdesign,

How does synching work in a heterogeneous environment, with multiple email accounts? I mean does the iPhone act as the lowest common denominator (LCD), synching the various email accounts across several computers (Macs and PC's)?

I do know the Feds are super slow in adopting stuff, are pretty much standardized on the MS Outlook/Office paradigm, and are supercautious WRT security issues. Inotherwords slow as molasses!

And this gets into the seemless-ease-of-use argument which I believe synching is supposed to offer. All I know is that Macs in a PC centric environment are an uphill battle, a go it yourself strategy, you really have to want to use a Mac, and most people I've met in these PC centric environments don't give the Mac a second thought. So it makes me wonder how successful the iPhone will be in the corporate world?
  • Reply 48 of 86
    I think AI -- or one of the knowledgeable elders in this group (of which there are many) -- could do a HUGE service to the Apple community, to Apple, and perhaps even to its stock price tomorrow, if they could synthesize and post as a story the great insights from the many reader responses to Pogue's posts.

Almost every one of his major assertions has been challenged, and it would be just great to see it all in one place. It would provide a more rational forum to argue -- right now, much of what I am seeing in many of these forums (AI, Macrumors, cnet.com, etc) are a bunch of "OMFG"-type responses to Pogue.

AI? Please !?
  • Reply 49 of 86
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by milton.john View Post

full Java engine would only be a "heavyweight ball and chain" no one uses.

This is really strange. I am not sure about USA, but here in Europe Java-based games are big part of mobile business.

The people that I talked to several months ago said that the Java that's on mobile phones is not the full Java engine. There's a chance that the iPhone will have more of the same.
  • Reply 50 of 86
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

1. Who knows, they might introduce 3G for the european launch. 3G is after all available in Europe. And after all... it's a year from now we're talking about.

That could be a second-generation version. Frankly, I think the rest of the world is lucky in this regard. I hope Apple will take the complaints and improves the product. I think there is more for them to say too, the AppleTV is quite a bit more advanced than what they said about the preproduction version.
  • Reply 51 of 86
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It looks like Apple is still fighting with Cingular (er, AT&T) over this. They charge $2.49 for a ringtone and really don't to lose that supplemental income.

The exonomics of this are odd to me: lets just do some math herew:

Most people buy 1 or 2 ringtones and use them for a year or maybe even the whole term of the contract, even if you buy 10 ringtones in the life of your contract, that is $25 less whatever they pay the labels. now if I am looking at a $50/M voice and $5/M text pack on a Razor or a $50/Mo voice, $30-ish/Mo data and and a big SMS/MMS pack at ~$12/Mo on an expensive handset. Cingular would be wise to make this consession.
  • Reply 52 of 86
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I, too, have heard that Apple will not allow 3rd-party developers. Can you please post a link to this fact without calling me a fuckwit or some other pejorative name?

Here's a Jobs quote, you fuckwit :

Quote:

?These are devices that need to work, and you can?t do that if you load any software on them,? he said. ?That doesn?t mean there?s not going to be software to buy that you can load on them coming from us. It doesn?t mean we have to write it all, but it means it has to be more of a controlled environment.?

• Reply 53 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The people that I talked to several months ago said that the Java that's on mobile phones is not the full Java engine. There's a chance that the iPhone will have more of the same.

Sure, Java has 3 main editions : Micro Edition (Java ME), Standard edition and Enterprise Edition. Phones typically support Java ME. That is enough to open a lot of functionality for 3rd party apps and yet keep the phone safe. I would be happy with it.
  • Reply 54 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by franksargent View Post

aegisdesign,

How does synching work in a heterogeneous environment, with multiple email accounts? I mean does the iPhone act as the lowest common denominator (LCD), synching the various email accounts across several computers (Macs and PC's)?

You're missing the point. The iPhone, like most PDAs and phones now DOESN'T SYNC EMAIL. ie. it doesn't copy email off of your PC or Mac to the iPhone like the old Palm PDAs. It's a full on, connect to the internet, IMAP/POP3/SMTP loving fully signed up net citizen just like Apple Mail is on your Mac. It's actually pretty hard these days to find phones/pdas outside the dumb Palm and Windows world that actually sync data instead of just access it directly.

The easiest way to have your mail available on your phone is to connect via IMAP to your mail server. I've been able to do this for 4+ years with various Symbian phones like a P910i. Microsoft Exchange supports IMAP so the iPhone *IS* compatible with Exchange. The problem is, most Exchange techs do not switch on IMAP support.

Furthermore, IMAP IDLE is supported so it supports a form of 'push' email where the mail server will push any new mail out to the phone, just like a Blackberry. Most Nokia S60 and SE UIQ phones support IMAP IDLE too. Apple's OSX Server mail solution support IMAP IDLE. EXIM Mail transport on Linux supports IMAP IDLE. It's pretty ubiquitous now.

You still need to be able however to sync your address book, your calendar and your todos from your PC/Mac to the phone since those are not stored on a mail server.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by franksargent View Post

I do know the Feds are super slow in adopting stuff, are pretty much standardized on the MS Outlook/Office paradigm, and are supercautious WRT security issues. Inotherwords slow as molasses!

And this gets into the seemless-ease-of-use argument which I believe synching is supposed to offer. All I know is that Macs in a PC centric environment are an uphill battle, a go it yourself strategy, you really have to want to use a Mac, and most people I've met in these PC centric environments don't give the Mac a second thought. So it makes me wonder how successful the iPhone will be in the corporate world?

It depends on if the PC corporate types will move to internet based standards such as IMAP or stick with expensive MS products like Exchange and then pay over the odds for Blackberry Connect or ActiveSync when they could instead be using a free IMAP server with free push email. Sometimes I think IT Dept managers justify their existence based on how much money they can spend and how many staff they have. That kind of thinking is why they choose MS over other solutions.
  • Reply 55 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

That could be a second-generation version. Frankly, I think the rest of the world is lucky in this regard. I hope Apple will take the complaints and improves the product. I think there is more for them to say too, the AppleTV is quite a bit more advanced than what they said about the preproduction version.

Yeah. I was watching the keynote and thinking it's going to be buggy as hell for a v1.0 product. The one plus point for the USA getting it 6 months before Europe is that at least we'll have had 6 months of test-patsies with fat American fingers working out the bugs in the software, scratching the coatings and dropping it on it's end. Apple may also have let 3rd party developers in by then too.

Still though, seriously, it needs a hardware upgrade before launch here. We'll be 6 months into HSUPA never mind HSDPA when it's released here.
  • Reply 56 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

You're missing the point. The iPhone, like most PDAs and phones now DOESN'T SYNC EMAIL. ie. it doesn't copy email off of your PC or Mac to the iPhone like the old Palm PDAs. It's a full on, connect to the internet, IMAP/POP3/SMTP loving fully signed up net citizen just like Apple Mail is on your Mac. It's actually pretty hard these days to find phones/pdas outside the dumb Palm and Windows world that actually sync data instead of just access it directly.

The easiest way to have your mail available on your phone is to connect via IMAP to your mail server. I've been able to do this for 4+ years with various Symbian phones like a P910i. Microsoft Exchange supports IMAP so the iPhone *IS* compatible with Exchange. The problem is, most Exchange techs do not switch on IMAP support.

Furthermore, IMAP IDLE is supported so it supports a form of 'push' email where the mail server will push any new mail out to the phone, just like a Blackberry. Most Nokia S60 and SE UIQ phones support IMAP IDLE too. Apple's OSX Server mail solution support IMAP IDLE. EXIM Mail transport on Linux supports IMAP IDLE. It's pretty ubiquitous now.

You still need to be able however to sync your address book, your calendar and your todos from your PC/Mac to the phone since those are not stored on a mail server.

It depends on if the PC corporate types will move to internet based standards such as IMAP or stick with expensive MS products like Exchange and then pay over the odds for Blackberry Connect or ActiveSync when they could instead be using a free IMAP server with free push email. Sometimes I think IT Dept managers justify their existence based on how much money they can spend and how many staff they have. That kind of thinking is why they choose MS over other solutions.

Really appreciate the clarification, thanks.
  • Reply 57 of 86
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    I think the best quote from the Pogue article is

Quote:

?Why is everyone missing the fact that this phone/device will seamlessly switch between Edge and Wi-Fi saving big $$$ on data rates?? ?Because nobody bothers to post about what they LIKE. If Internetters can?t say something disparaging, they say nothing at all.

• Reply 58 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

I think the best quote from the Pogue article is

Eeeeeeexcellent. that is great! it's so true and is right up there with that saying of, "People who post and b*tch needlessly on the internet aren't exercising their freedom of speech. Their exercising their freedom from being punched in the mouth."
  • Reply 59 of 86
    How sure are we about "not syncing wirelessly" includes Bluetooth? I just find it unbelievably...well, unbelievable that Apple wouldn't let you sync data (sans iTunes tracks) via Bluetooth like every other Bluetooth equipped phones out there. It doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Really.

I have a feeling that "no wireless syncing" means "no iTunes syncing wirelesslys" AND/OR "no syncing via 802.11b/g" and doesn't apply to Bluetooth syncing of data (address book, e-mail settings, etc.).
  • Reply 60 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by debohun View Post

First they take Newton off the market, don't open source it, and now they are intentionally handicapping the one thing that could easily be its successor. That's just irrational. If people want PDA functionality, handwriting data entry, etc., and are willing to pay extra for it, why not let them? Why does Apple think some people's biases against PDAs justifies driving willing Apple customers to other markets? That's not good business, that's obsessive control disorder.

Oh, calm down! Several times, both at the Keynote and in subsequent interviews, Jobs noted that there are more devices coming, and intimated more than once that a cell phone- less device is coming that will include much of this technology.

What makes you think that Apple will take 2 1/2 years to research this tech and then fail to use it in as many ways as possible to make money off of it?

I think it is obvious as hell that at least one more device line is coming - something like a PDA/iPod mix - perhaps the high end iPods will get more PDA functionality via the multi-touch technology, perhaps with wifi or bluetooth syncing.

Like he said lots of times last year as well as this: Hold onto yer hats, it's gonna be one hell of a ride!